Anyone here ever start an internet or FM radio station?

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor
I've been thinking a lot about the culture down here in the Raleigh/Durham/Fayetteville area and see a lot of potential for bringing a radio station that caters to Caribbean and African culture. There are a lot of people from different Caribbean islands and African countries here but no media outlet that caters to the culture. The only reggae or afrobeat heard are the select songs that manage to make it to the mainstream and soca is all but ignored for the most part. However, there are numerous stores, vendors and people whom I think could capitalize off an outlet like a radio station to increase exposure.

I want to start this radio station but am not familiar with all the aspects that would need to be covered. I want to be able to make a solid business plan that could not only have a legitimate chance at longevity but also bring the region to the status as a Caribbean hub like NY, Atlanta, Miami & DC are.

Any feedback and input is greatly appreciated.

Mello Mello

Ballz of Adamantium
BGOL Investor
Start with a podcast on YouTube or blog talk radio.

I’m building radio/podcast entertainment show now as a portfolio for other work that I’m doing. Going to be comprised of skits I wrote with music. Will be posting soon as I get my content up.

But as far as starting a FM radio station I’m unsure.

roots69

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Thats a good topic, you brought up!! Im going to keep an eye on this thread, I would like knowin the process to get a station up and running..

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor
Start with a podcast on YouTube or blog talk radio.

I’m building radio/podcast entertainment show now as a portfolio for other work that I’m doing. Going to be comprised of skits I wrote with music. Will be posting soon as I get my content up.

But as far as starting a FM radio station I’m unsure.
I'm leaning more towards FM radio as I want to primarily focus on the NC region listeners. Getting people across multiple age groups to download an app to stream can be a challenge and I've found that more people stumble across a station they end up liking on the radio by accident than intentional internet searches.

Mello Mello

Ballz of Adamantium
BGOL Investor
I'm leaning more towards FM radio as I want to primarily focus on the NC region listeners. Getting people across multiple age groups to download an app to stream can be a challenge and I've found that more people stumble across a station they end up liking on the radio by accident than intentional internet searches.

I wanted to do that but the kind of content I will be making will be too R rated maybe it would be better suited for a Sirius XM radio.

Sirius XM is a great route to go they have plenty of room to grow. Plus you can capture NC region plus more.

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
NOTICE: THE FCC IS NOT ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR NEW FM BROADCAST STATIONS AT THE PRESENT TIME.

How to Apply for a Radio or Television Broadcast Station | Federal ...

https://www.fcc.gov/media/radio/how-to-apply

Internet radio or buying an existing station are only choices right now

this might be away to help you market an online station

http://www.exactdrive.com/mobile-advertising
TextBlue | Bluetooth Advertising | Proximity Marketing | Wi-Fi ...

textblue.net

https://www.ad-pods.com/
GoZone WiFi | Smart WiFi Solutions, Guest WiFi Analytics

https://www.gozonewifi.com/

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
here is an idea.... partner with the businesses you plan to serve
-They play your station on premises and you'll run their ads and set each of them up to offer free wifi to customers

- use the wifi and bluetooth to push advertising on customer phones even if they don't use the wifi
you can run ads for your station url, or better a link to get your station's app from itunes or Play

-sell station ad time AND proximity marketing to craftsmen, car dealers, local TV stations, cable stations banks
Concert and party promoters -etc.

Last edited:

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor
I wanted to do that but the kind of content I will be making will be too R rated maybe it would be better suited for a Sirius XM radio.

Sirius XM is a great route to go they have plenty of room to grow. Plus you can capture NC region plus more.
I feel you. Ultimately the goal I'm looking to achieve is to play all of the different factions of reggae, soca and African music. It's beyond frustrating when you got mainstream radios and DJs doing "reggae" sets where you hear them go from 1 or 2 90s reggae songs to 1 Sean Paul song to Drake "Controller" :hmm: I think Caribbean & African music itself is strong enough to have a station dedicated to it just like there's one for hip hop/RnB and there's definitely a strong enough community of people in Raleigh, Durham, Fayetteville, Greensboro and Charolotte who like the music to appreciate it.

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor
here is an idea.... partner with the businesses you plan to serve
-They play your station on premises and you'll run their ads and set each of them up to offer free wifi to customers

- use the wifi and bluetooth to push advertising on customer phones even if they don't use the wifi
you can run ads for your station url, or better a link to get your station's app from itunes or Play

-sell station ad time AND proximity marketing to craftsmen, car dealers, local TV stations, cable stations banks -etc.
I like that idea for internet radio. I definitely plan to partner with local businesses and vendors to buy advertising time in return for their support. I also plan to look for sponsors to help offset the bill for any expenses that get accrued so that more of the revenue from the partners are profit.

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
I like that idea for internet radio. I definitely plan to partner with local businesses and vendors to buy advertising time in return for their support. I also plan to look for sponsors to help offset the bill for any expenses that get accrued so that more of the revenue from the partners are profit.
once you get it worked out sponsors will chase you
The apps and proximity marketing will give you multiple revenue streams - because your "listener's" data will allow you to find many ways to sell access for directly access them

You can use the same technology to do gorilla marketing outside concerts festivals anywhere large crowd is present

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor
once you get it worked out sponsors will chase you
The apps and proximity marketing will give you multiple revenue streams - because your "listener's" data will allow you to find many ways to sell access for directly access them

You can use the same technology to do gorilla marketing outside concerts festivals anywhere large crowd is present
Definitely appreciate the info

Mello Mello

Ballz of Adamantium
BGOL Investor
I feel you. Ultimately the goal I'm looking to achieve is to play all of the different factions of reggae, soca and African music. It's beyond frustrating when you got mainstream radios and DJs doing "reggae" sets where you hear them go from 1 or 2 90s reggae songs to 1 Sean Paul song to Drake "Controller" :hmm: I think Caribbean & African music itself is strong enough to have a station dedicated to it just like there's one for hip hop/RnB and there's definitely a strong enough community of people in Raleigh, Durham, Fayetteville, Greensboro and Charolotte who like the music to appreciate it.

Yo!!

Sounds like you got a perfect lane.

I can definitely see you filling that void on SiriusXM.

GO FOR IT! I think you're on to something here.

Of all the stations on SiriusXM that I've listened to I don't think I've EVER heard a Reggae, African, Afro-beat, Caribbean music station.

You will catch a lot of listeners quickly across the globe with just that genre. GO FOR IT!

It's a big ol' vacuum wide open waiting to be filled.

Any recommendations for hosting solutions as well as equipment needed?

Depending on how you run it you might need a lot of equipment.

I've been buying up:
Microphones (Blue Yeti for now til I can afford a better mic)
Headphones (Bose & some Dre Beats for now)
Mixer (a Focusrite 18i. most expensive thing I've bought to plug in all my mics so they will be recognized as separate mics by computer)
Just got a new computer and a camera too.
Gonna invest in some more audio equipment like amplifiers and I'm just building my sound library so I can make a soundboard and create my own too.

Currently using FL Studio to record and mix my shows. But I'm aiming for that clear stereo sound.

If anyone knows what other software or hardware equipment might be helpful mics, headphones etc please let me know.

Thanks in Advance.

Last edited:

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor
@Mello Mello with Sirius XM, you need a membership to be able to listen though right? If so then my concern would be getting local businesses to want to sign up. I want the revenue from them buying advertising but it would have to be fiscally appealing to them as well.

Mr.Chuckles

Chuckle
BGOL Investor
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the days of live 365 internet radio stations i think you still can buy into that platform

Mello Mello

Ballz of Adamantium
BGOL Investor
@Mello Mello with Sirius XM, you need a membership to be able to listen though right? If so then my concern would be getting local businesses to want to sign up. I want the revenue from them buying advertising but it would have to be fiscally appealing to them as well.

Yes you need to purchase a subscription for XM.
But don't underestimate it.
With Uber & Lyft being a popular thing now drivers are subscribing heavily.
They want more options to provide to different passengers who want to listent to music during their drive so XM fills that need.
Most the subscriptions I see people buy come when they get a new car or their car has XM capabilities. Most people I've rode with do not listen to regular radio much. It's either mp3 player or XM.

Once your listener base increase you can take your numbers to the local businesses like, "Hey I reach 250k listeners and growing a day. Sponsor my show and I will drop a 10sec 20sec however long ad on my radio station for X amount of dollars."

They will sign up. Just gotta get the content out and promote and gain listeners. Some sponsors will find you especially if you on XM.

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor
Yes you need to purchase a subscription for XM.
But don't underestimate it.
With Uber & Lyft being a popular thing now drivers are subscribing heavily.
They want more options to provide to different passengers who want to listent to music during their drive so XM fills that need.
Most the subscriptions I see people buy come when they get a new car or their car has XM capabilities. Most people I've rode with do not listen to regular radio much. It's either mp3 player or XM.

Once your listener base increase you can take your numbers to the local businesses like, "Hey I reach 250k listeners and growing a day. Sponsor my show and I will drop a 10sec 20sec however long ad on my radio station for X amount of dollars."

They will sign up. Just gotta get the content out and promote and gain listeners. Some sponsors will find you especially if you on XM.
Ok good to know :yes:

Jism

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Ok good to know :yes:
Try shoutcast.com
I've been thinking a lot about the culture down here in the Raleigh/Durham/Fayetteville area and see a lot of potential for bringing a radio station that caters to Caribbean and African culture. There are a lot of people from different Caribbean islands and African countries here but no media outlet that caters to the culture. The only reggae or afrobeat heard are the select songs that manage to make it to the mainstream and soca is all but ignored for the most part. However, there are numerous stores, vendors and people whom I think could capitalize off an outlet like a radio station to increase exposure.

I want to start this radio station but am not familiar with all the aspects that would need to be covered. I want to be able to make a solid business plan that could not only have a legitimate chance at longevity but also bring the region to the status as a Caribbean hub like NY, Atlanta, Miami & DC are.

Any feedback and input is greatly appreciated.
try shoutcast.com

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor
@Mello Mello I'm looking at mixers right now. Why did you elect to go with the one you purchased as opposed to a regular mixer like a Behringer or similar that would've been much cheaper? How many input lines are you using?

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor
I'm currently considering a mixer like the Behringer Q1202USB Mixer to use for my setup
51Zviri68sL.jpg
51%2B-zHS3LfL.jpg
41YLqzjpj6L.jpg

Mello Mello

Ballz of Adamantium
BGOL Investor
@Mello Mello I'm looking at mixers right now. Why did you elect to go with the one you purchased as opposed to a regular mixer like a Behringer or similar that would've been much cheaper? How many input lines are you using?

I went with the Scarlett because it is better with latency and the audio quality is much better. The Behringer mixers were similar in price and some more expensive so I went with the Scarlett . Also the Scarlett that I got has more inputs for mics only thing I just gotta get a splitter for more headphones. I have 4 lines 8 channels input and 2 output. It’s just enough for me since I’m doing it out of home. If I can find a Behringer at the right price I may try it out because I like the control you can have over the mics.

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor
I went with the Scarlett because it is better with latency and the audio quality is much better. The Behringer mixers were similar in price and some more expensive so I went with the Scarlett . Also the Scarlett that I got has more inputs for mics only thing I just gotta get a splitter for more headphones. I have 4 lines 8 channels input and 2 output. It’s just enough for me since I’m doing it out of home. If I can find a Behringer at the right price I may try it out because I like the control you can have over the mics.
Ahh I see. I don't believe I'd have a whole bunch of ppl on at the same time but the Behringer I posted at least has 4 mic inputs if anything. I'm just more concerned about audio levels from multiple inputs for the most part but I'll do some research to make sure I'm not handicapping myself.

Mello Mello

Ballz of Adamantium
BGOL Investor
Ahh I see. I don't believe I'd have a whole bunch of ppl on at the same time but the Behringer I posted at least has 4 mic inputs if anything. I'm just more concerned about audio levels from multiple inputs for the most part but I'll do some research to make sure I'm not handicapping myself.

See if you can find a spot that will let you rent it compare the sound quality.

Or check guitar center in your area see if they have any that are used for lower price.

That's why I went with the Scarlett I needed just enough mic inputs so I can have conversation with several people at the same time and the computer won't
recognize the different mics all as one.

Now I just need to get some better quality headphones.

Im starting to see now this whole thing is taking me into territory I didn't think I would have to take.

I'm learning more about sound and audio mixing and everything.

Low key taking me into beat making territory which isn't really my forte but I'm curious how I can learn to make my shows better and original.

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor
See if you can find a spot that will let you rent it compare the sound quality.

Or check guitar center in your area see if they have any that are used for lower price.

That's why I went with the Scarlett I needed just enough mic inputs so I can have conversation with several people at the same time and the computer won't
recognize the different mics all as one.

Now I just need to get some better quality headphones.

Im starting to see now this whole thing is taking me into territory I didn't think I would have to take.

I'm learning more about sound and audio mixing and everything.

Low key taking me into beat making territory which isn't really my forte but I'm curious how I can learn to make my shows better and original.
Yeah I was probably gonna hit up guitar center this weekend to get some feedback & opinions on different mixers that I can potentially use then buy it on www.zounds.com where I can make payment installments instead of splurging everything off the rip