Anyone Have Experience Purchasing Salvage Title Cars?

Mello Mello

Ballz of Adamantium
BGOL Investor
Have you got anything good for a extremely low price?

Even tho some of these cars I’ve been seeing don’t look too bad I still don’t wanna pay anything over $1200 for a salvage title. Is there anyway to negotiate the price down from a salvage lot?

This isn’t a car I plan on driving or selling. Ive been thinking about going this route to part out a car for a project build. This might be the cheaper way to get the parts I want since the parts I want are hard to come by in a junkyard pick and pull.

man-machine

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
My only experience with one is actually owning one. Bought my car back from the insurance company after they totaled it. I thought about fixing it but in order to get a regular title, I would have to fix everything to get the car up to state code. In the end, it wasn't worth it. I put the money I got from the insurance company on a Toyota that I'm still driving over 15 years later. It all depends where you live and what got the car fucked up in the 1st place. I know some folks that fixed their own or got the hook up from the backyard mechanic but if you don't have anything like that I'd skip it.

gameboy

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
bought a bike & a car salvage,, no problems with either while i had them,, just get it inspected by a mechanic like you would any other used car,, both were wrecked & rebuilt with new parts (not by me),, i take all used cars to the dealer to be inspected,, dealer found no problems with either,, some damn good deals,, you will just have a hard time reselling it or trading it in when you are done,, prolly best just to keep it until it dies,,

Mello Mello

Ballz of Adamantium
BGOL Investor
My only experience with one is actually owning one. Bought my car back from the insurance company after they totaled it. I thought about fixing it but in order to get a regular title, I would have to fix everything to get the car up to state code. In the end, it wasn't worth it. I put the money I got from the insurance company on a Toyota that I'm still driving over 15 years later. It all depends where you live and what got the car fucked up in the 1st place. I know some folks that fixed their own or got the hook up from the backyard mechanic but if you don't have anything like that I'd skip it.

How much did you buy it back from your insurance company for?

I feel like it would be cheaper to buy it directly from insurance company before they sell it to a place like copart. Just don’t know if insurance companies have a directory for this?

Mello Mello

Ballz of Adamantium
BGOL Investor
bought a bike & a car salvage,, no problems with either while i had them,, just get it inspected by a mechanic like you would any other used car,, both were wrecked & rebuilt with new parts (not by me),, i take all used cars to the dealer to be inspected,, dealer found no problems with either,, some damn good deals,, you will just have a hard time reselling it or trading it in when you are done,, prolly best just to keep it until it dies,,

So did you pay more than 50% of the worth of the car and bike?

Im not interested in repairing the car, getting the car inspected or insured.

I just want to use the car for parts.

I just need a car with the engine intact.

I’ll still probably run a compression test leak test it but it’s going to the machine shop after i get it out.

I’ll either scrap the rest of the car after I strip the car of usable parts.

I just don’t wanna over pay even tho I’ll still be getting a car for well below it’s worth.

blackpepper

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
My son has flipped a bunch. They are a crap shoot at best. He has made a few nice profits, and lost on others. The one thing he really got burned on was a nice lexus with flood damage. It was dried out and detailed very well, but the salt eventually wrecked the electrical system. If you can see what caused it to be salvage its a lot easier to know what you're getting and bid accordingly.

Famous1

Rising Star
Platinum Member
So did you pay more than 50% of the worth of the car and bike?

Im not interested in repairing the car, getting the car inspected or insured.

I just want to use the car for parts.

I just need a car with the engine intact.

I’ll still probably run a compression test leak test it but it’s going to the machine shop after i get it out.

I’ll either scrap the rest of the car after I strip the car of usable parts.

I just don’t wanna over pay even tho I’ll still be getting a car for well below it’s worth.
What car you looking for chief..?
I'm a licensed wholesale dealer...I can buy at any auction...I'll get you what you want at cost...I feel benevolent tonight.

Last edited:

man-machine

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

I feel like it would be cheaper to buy it directly from insurance company before they sell it to a place like copart. Just don’t know if insurance companies have a directory for this?

Maybe two or three hundred bucks. They gave me $2500-$2800 on a 13-year-old car. Oddly enough I kept the car as a fixer-upper that I never fixed and finally sold it a few years ago for $300.

Mello Mello

Ballz of Adamantium
BGOL Investor
What car you looking for chief..?
I'm a licensed wholesale dealer...I can buy at any auction...I'll get you what you want at cost...I feel benevolent tonight.

I’m looking for an 2001-2003 BMW M5 S62 engine/E39 S62b50.

Mixd

Duppy Maker
BGOL Investor
@Mello Mello why are you looking in a salvage lot? Don't you think they bought them somewhere and are upping the price, just like a regular car dealer?

Go direct to the seller. FB Marketplace has many selling salvage titles, just gotta look. Or can go to the insurance auctions. Can shop right online.

Check CoPart.com or IAAI if you have friend/someone with a dealer license.

I personally don't mess with salvage, only cause when it comes time to sell, you won't/can't look to get back what they would sell for like a regular car. If you plan to keep it a long time, then whatever. Just watch it with flooded vehicles.

Famous1

Rising Star
Platinum Member
@Mello Mello why are you looking in a salvage lot? Don't you think they bought them somewhere and are upping the price, just like a regular car dealer?

Go direct to the seller. FB Marketplace has many selling salvage titles, just gotta look. Or can go to the insurance auctions. Can shop right online.

I personally don't mess with salvage, only cause when it comes time to sell, you won't/can't look to get back what they would sell for like a regular car. If you plan to keep it a long time, then whatever. Just watch it with flooded vehicles.
He said he's doing a project build. Cheaper and easier to buy the whole car than to source parts individually.

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member
I just found out about a place here that all of the Insurance companies take their cars to. This lot puts them up for sale online and lists what all of the damages are that caused it to be totaled out.

I saw a lot of vehicles that seemed to be totaled out because of the age of the vehicle. It'd cost more to repair than to make a payout I guess.

Mello Mello

Ballz of Adamantium
BGOL Investor
Look at this..scroll down. I looked at IAA, copart, ADESA, and Manheim. Didn't see anything. I will look again later.
https://www.autobidmaster.com/en/carfinder-online-auto-auctions/salvage-cars/bmw/m5/
Thanks bro. You always got the line on some shit. I was looking at this sight and a few others.

So I have to purchase a membership fee and I will pay a sell fee if I get one from this sight.

Do you know how much the cost will be if I have to ship the car from out of state?

Yeah that’s what I’m saying if I can get to them before it gets to an auction how could I do that. I’ll check Facebook marketplace too thanks.

But this is a build project I’m not trying to sell or use like a regular car.

Mixd

Duppy Maker
BGOL Investor
Yeah I missed that second paragraph in your first post. My bad.

But I've been on FB looking for trucks. I've seen 2012 pickups for $5k, contact the seller and realize it wasn't a deposit then they say salvage titles, I'm like damn.

Some vehicles you'll find also "Only for Export" titles which may be cheap for you too. I'm in Texas so you always see a gang of cars on the highway being towed to Mexico. You know they probably fall into that.

big enos burrnet

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
if you are planning on fixing it back up,,not sure about what state your in but here in michigan ( if ) you do fix it them the state require's you
to show proof of purchase for the parts so the state can sign off on the salvage to rebuilt for an updated title...now if its just a parts car then
you can just buy it out right and toss the title altogether...but yes at some auction sites you can negotiate price thats if they allow low counter bids..
some do some dont....

lightbright

Master Pussy Poster
BGOL Investor

I had an 87 Honda CRX that got stolen and stripped..... extremely low mileage...... I would've brought it from the insurance company and replaced all the stolen shit..... insurance company wouldn't let me have it..... they just totaled it

My son has flipped a bunch. They are a crap shoot at best. He has made a few nice profits, and lost on others. The one thing he really got burned on was a nice lexus with flood damage. It was dried out and detailed very well, but the salt eventually wrecked the electrical system. If you can see what caused it to be salvage its a lot easier to know what you're getting and bid accordingly.
Never buy a flood salvage unless it's for body parts.... nothing electrical will ever be good again...

Hey Julian!

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Salvage bike makes a lot more sense. You literally see everything that wrong and fix it yourself for the most part. Salvage car? Ain’t no telling. If you need it as reliable transportation I’d stay away. If it’s a second car or some kind of project car for tuning then I’d consider a salvage title. The type of damage matters A LOT too. Stay away from
flood damage. Also I wouldn’t fuck with anything where the airbag deployed. At the end of the day, it’s more risk than reward in salvage title cars.

Mello Mello

Ballz of Adamantium
BGOL Investor
if you are planning on fixing it back up,,not sure about what state your in but here in michigan ( if ) you do fix it them the state require's you
to show proof of purchase for the parts so the state can sign off on the salvage to rebuilt for an updated title...now if its just a parts car then
you can just buy it out right and toss the title altogether...but yes at some auction sites you can negotiate price thats if they allow low counter bids..
some do some dont....

Yeah I’m trying to find which sights let you counter bid or negotiate price if I can’t just buy it directly from an insurance company. Otherwise I’ll just have to purchase from one of the salvage resellers.

For 1200 you might wanna try rebuilding your engine. Used BMW M5 S62 engines are going for 4500 to 5500 in ebay.

Man I’m hip. Not trying to drop that on the engine tho. It’s a reliable engine. One is the rare engine BMW over engineered that puts out good power with minimal problems and it’s still easy to work on.

Even tho the car is 17-18 years old M5s still sell for 15-20k.

A lot of young dudes buy them and crash them but the car is a collectors.

Famous1

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Thanks bro. You always got the line on some shit. I was looking at this sight and a few others.

So I have to purchase a membership fee and I will pay a sell fee if I get one from this sight.

Do you know how much the cost will be if I have to ship the car from out of state?

Yeah that’s what I’m saying if I can get to them before it gets to an auction how could I do that. I’ll check Facebook marketplace too thanks.

Shipping...
Just Google: cheap auto transport.
The site you choose will ask you, from where to where and when?
When you put your info in, you will start getting offers from different carriers.
Choose your poison...make sure the one you choose is willing to send you " before loaded and loaded pictures.

MisterT

Rising Star
Registered
That's not what I read years ago, when I thought about screwing with one. It said that in every state you could fix the car and drop the SALVAGE designation, but it still wouldn't be a clean title, it could only be then changed to a REBUILT title

big enos burrnet

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yeah I’m trying to find which sights let you counter bid or negotiate price if I can’t just buy it directly from an insurance company. Otherwise I’ll just have to purchase from one of the salvage resellers.

Man I’m hip. Not trying to drop that on the engine tho. It’s a reliable engine. One is the rare engine BMW over engineered that puts out good power with minimal problems and it’s still easy to work on.

Even tho the car is 17-18 years old M5s still sell for 15-20k.

A lot of young dudes buy them and crash them but the car is a collectors.
I mostly deal with Manheim,, thats a mix between the insurance companies and smashed up lease returns from Ford motor credit shit
Like that ....

man-machine

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
That's not what I read years ago, when I thought about screwing with one. It said that in every state you could fix the car and drop the SALVAGE designation, but it still wouldn't be a clean title, it could only be then changed to a REBUILT title

Could be. I only drove my car another month before I bought another one. I do have a friend and a family member who drove cars with such titles for several years back in the 00's. I'll ask them Next Time I get a chance.