Anyone catch Joe Rogan Own Lou DiBella on ESPN??(boxing vs MMA debate)

Nobody

Rising Star
Registered
Theo_Huxtable said:
You could've seen all of last nights pay per view if you think its just a bunch of guys wrestling and rolling on the ground (a lot of great stand up & KO's last night).

A lot of boxers & boxing fans that think a boxer can just come in a take out an MMA fighter on MMA grounds just doesn't seem to understand the defensive side of fighting...a boxer won't have a clue on how to defend a ground fighter or leg kicks while an MMA fighter knows how to defend everything and attack with everything. Thats what kept Liddel alive in the MMA, his ablity to escape and avoid take downs, not just his hands.

Plus these boxers aren't gonna have a perfect stance & form once they get in a MMA match were they have to focus on more than just a punch coming towards they're head or torso.

Once MMA really starts banking, which is just in a matter of time, they will also start taking a lot fighters that would've gone into boxing going MMA because they'll be able to give them more money, which is gonna hurt more than anything.

All and all...the MMA is the closest thing people can get to a true to life street fight, which is what a good major of males love to see. Boxing only delivers a fraction of the chaos we love for some reason. But the greedy side of boxing has definitely played its part, I agree on that. Meanwhile MMA (UFC) is making all the right corporate moves (reality shows, matches on cable tv, etc.)

...and y'all ninjas better not Colin Powell me...
:cool:

This is the thing. Looking at these fights their defense upstairs vs. the punch looks weak. As far as ground defense I'm sure you can train a boxer how to avoid the take down and leg kicks. With a good reach advantage a boxer would hold his own well against MMA fighters. If they miss with a leg kick a boxer is quick and trained well enough to get his off.

Someone trying to go for a grab would only be able to attempt it at a very close range, which would be too close for leg kicks from the mma fighter, and boxers are trained to handle fighting up close.

I don't think MMA is gonna blow up the way people think it is. You could compare it to rugby in a sense. Rugby is a more violent form of football, but extra violence for the sake of violence doesn't always translate into a better or more exciting sport.

Sometimes its the intricacies of a sport that matter a lot.

I'm not saying every boxer can rip ever MMA fighter, but many people think MMA wins hands down, and that is not the case.

I used to do martial arts, and I found myself winning more tournaments when I relied less on kicking and holding, and focused more on kick defense and punching.

Sir Good Drank

Potential Star
Registered
Tapout said:
If you train then maybe you would know that it actually is technical. How the fuck is a submission not technical? Do you know how to properly apply an armbar from guard while the guy is hitting you? Do you know how to apply a kimura, americana, or triangle choke? I respect everyones opinions but when people speak without knowledge than their "opinion" has no backing.

The technicality of a submission fails to compare with that of boxing and you know it. Choking somebody out is choking somebody out, it doesn't matter how its done. The technical part is getting in position to apply the hold the hold itself is extremely primitive. There's no method to this sport and thats my problem with it. and yeah I can slip a punch and put a dude in a armbar... learned it at work. and i'll put a nigga in the camel clutch too.

I wanna know why aren't you a boxer??? real talk?

Nobody

Rising Star
Registered
Sir Good Drank said:
The technicality of a submission fails to compare with that of boxing and you know it. Choking somebody out is choking somebody out, it doesn't matter how its done. The technical part is getting in position to apply the hold the hold itself is extremely primitive. There's no method to this sport and thats my problem with it. and yeah I can slip a punch and put a dude in a armbar... learned it at work. and i'll put a nigga in the camel clutch too.

Forreal.

Proof.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=1357113799

Is this supposed to be good?

Look how weak those punches are. Look at the form on those swings, utterly horrible.

A running overhead hook? A boxer would eat you if you came at one with that.

And ground game? You know how they got on the ground? they fell down on one another, then began to wrap their legs around each other. :wtf:

All you have to do is train a boxer to defend kicks, how to defend from holds, how to use a few knees when close, and that's it. The way most of these guys box would get them opened up quickly.

Theo_Huxtable

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Nobody said:
This is the thing. Looking at these fights their defense upstairs vs. the punch looks weak. As far as ground defense I'm sure you can train a boxer how to avoid the take down and leg kicks. With a good reach advantage a boxer would hold his own well against MMA fighters. If they miss with a leg kick a boxer is quick and trained well enough to get his off.

Someone trying to go for a grab would only be able to attempt it at a very close range, which would be too close for leg kicks from the mma fighter, and boxers are trained to handle fighting up close.

I don't think MMA is gonna blow up the way people think it is. You could compare it to rugby in a sense. Rugby is a more violent form of football, but extra violence for the sake of violence doesn't always translate into a better or more exciting sport.

Sometimes its the intricacies of a sport that matter a lot.

I'm not saying every boxer can rip ever MMA fighter, but many people think MMA wins hands down, and that is not the case.

I used to do martial arts, and I found myself winning more tournaments when I relied less on kicking and holding, and focused more on kick defense and punching.

Maybe if it was the MMA of the 90s, were the fighters only trained in one thing, but now they're all well trained in multiple fighting techniques. Also, were talking about taking fighters like Mayweather as he is right now to MMA. Your talking about taking a boxer to the MMA, training him into the MMA style of training...well, he's no long just a boxer is he? But if you take a MMA fighter into boxing as he is, than theres still a fighting chance for him because he already knows how to box.​

Average MMA fighter knows
- some form of submission/takedown offensive & defense
- has to know how to strike from his hands
- knows how to strike with his legs
- has been there done that with boxing or spares regularly
- well conditioned

Average Boxer knows
- how to strike with his hands and defend
- well conditioned

You guys act like an MMA fighter is just gonna stand up with a boxer in an MMA style match. No! It's a boxer in an MMA match, he's more than likely gonna get put to the ground by takedown, toss or slam and pounded or submitted. That boxer is gonna have his kinda match for no more than 15 seconds, if didn't get his haymaker out by that time, its a wrap folks.​

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
Sir Good Drank said:
There's no method to this sport and thats my problem with it. and yeah I can slip a punch and put a dude in a armbar... learned it at work.

You sound just as silly as a person saying that boxers just stand in the ring and dance. If you really think there is no method to this sport, YOU CLEARLY dont understand anything about it. That is about as smart as someone who has never seen football saying what are all those dudes doing running around on the field....there's no method to this madness... :lol:

Tapout

Support BGOL
Registered
Sir Good Drank said:

I'm not a boxer because my love is more into mixed martial arts. I enjoy muay thai and brazilian jiu-jitsu. I have all the respect for boxing. I'm not a good boxer but I train in it 2X a week. You saying you can armbar someone is like a regular joe saying he can uppercut someone. I bet you that if you get me in an armbar I would be able to escape it and get a dominant position on you. You don't train so you don't know how technical an armbar is. You have to have the correct leverage and technique. Your hips have to be as close to the person as possible, your legs should be holding his arm tight, you should have his hand where his thumb is facing towards the air for the correct angle, you have to pull on his arm while grasping with your legs and thrusting your hips the opposite direction.

WTF does "Choking somebody out is choking somebody out" mean? That's like saying "hitting him in the face is hitting him in the face." I'll use a rear naked choke for an example to show the technique. You have to get your hooks in to prevent your opponent from turning, you then swim an arm under his chin so that your elbow pit is at his throat making your bicep and forearm cut off his carotid arteries. With your other arm you place it to the back of his head with you hand. While pulling his neck towards you, you use the hand to the back of his head to push away. This will cut off the BLOOD flow to his brain and applied well can put him to sleep in 6 seconds.

The way you talk you speak like MMA has no technique. It's martial arts, of course theres technique. No offense but your knowledge in the sport is very limited so your opinions are not facts at all. I love boxing. It's the best thing for your hands and has great conditioning. The thing about the boxing business and it's fans is that they always bash MMA yet MMA doesn't do the same in return because guess what, they train in boxing.

Here your "real talk." I'm not a boxer because it's not the sport I wanted to pursue. I'm not a professional athlete so therefore my income isn't coming from sports, so I might as well do what I LOVE. I train in boxing and I've had 2 boxing smokers, just like how I train in Muay Thai, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, and wrestling. Put all this together and you have MMA. I'm telling anyone to like MMA, watch MMA, or have anything to do with MMA at all but one thing you MUST acknowledge is that these athletes train hard in multiple disciplines trying to not only improve their fight game but themselves as a person, and this takes technique and skill.