An artist shamed Google with his doodle. Then Google called about a job.

cashwhisperer

My favorite key is E♭
BGOL Investor
tumblr_pufyyfvH4g1vi1t85o1_500h.jpg

Davian Chester went to Google’s homepage the morning of June 19 expecting to see a Google doodle honoring Juneteenth, the most widely recognized celebration of the end of slavery in the United States.

Instead, he saw Google’s regular colorful logo.

So Chester, a graphic artist who often draws social commentary, grabbed his pencil. “I thought I could come up with something real quick,” he said.

He dashed off his own Google doodle depicting the day: handcuffed wrists of a black person breaking out of chains — with the chains being the word Google. It took him about an hour.
-----------

Chester, 26, had no idea it was about to go viral — or that he would soon end up on a celebratory billboard and get a call from Google about a job.

tumblr_pufyzdrRpG1vi1t85o1_1280.jpg

A representative from Google confirmed Monday that the company has reached out to Chester about a job.

Chester said he’s still in the interview process with Google, but, meanwhile, he has gotten flooded with requests from local companies and people ordering his logos, portraits and other graphic art work. He even won a quick job from Proctor and Gamble, he said, which should be released as early as this week.

But the reaction to his doodle that he’s most in awe of is that the arts community in Columbus got together and raised $1,200 to put up a billboard featuring his now-famous doodle, coupled with a drawing of Chester and these words:

“Juneteenth. Recognize it. Celebrate it. Google it.” And also: “Congrats on your doodle, Davian!”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...ogle-called-about-job/?utm_term=.b3a44a85fd2d

Last edited:

Gods_Debris

Rising Star
Registered
Congrats but why is he depicting himself about 120 bucks lighter? Drawing his 6th grade self and shit