AMC/Regal/Cineworld Theaters may go bankrupt (CINEWORLD GOES DOWN!)

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
GOOD!

Union Square Stadium 14 is one of the WORST Designed Movie Theater Layouts in this City.
Whenever a group of My Co-workers ask Me to see a movie there (I work a block away).
I'm always like, "NOPE".
Then I go into a long-winded diatribe about why I hate that theater so much.

The AMC Magic Johnson Theater here in Harlem is No. 2 on my Movie Theater Shit list.
Man I saw the first matrix at the union square stadium for free the first week it came out…memories

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Rent a seat,the movie is free but to enter you have to rent a seat and the movie is over you ain't got to go home but you have to get the hell outta here.

I said it before it was just a matter of time,people they would rather look at their phones,tablets,computer and home theaters .Like Block Buster,CD's,Roller blades.....nothing is forever.
As I said b4 they got them monthly subscription passes that are 20-25 bucks that lets you see 3 movies per week aka 156 movies a yr if you utilize it right… if they pushed that more they would get more bizz and might actually peak more people interest.. hell I could see some people copping a month pass when several movies they like come out in the same month.. they’ll binge watch all those movies than quit the subscription.. hell they need to push binge watch the theatre experience

Africanama

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
GOOD!

Union Square Stadium 14 is one of the WORST Designed Movie Theater Layouts in this City.
Whenever a group of My Co-workers ask Me to see a movie there (I work a block away).
I'm always like, "NOPE".
Then I go into a long-winded diatribe about why I hate that theater so much.

The AMC Magic Johnson Theater here in Harlem is No. 2 on my Movie Theater Shit list.
I used to go to the Union Square Theatre a lot when I was younger and you was right, the layout out now that think about it was funky.

Ceenote

Thinkn with My 3rd Eye!
Platinum Member
Unfortunate to see.. round my way we have a marcus theater and cinemark...the crowds have been getting bigger during the weekday during the day.. to me thats good.. i enjoy the going to the movies myself...well me n the wife

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
As I said b4 they got them monthly subscription passes that are 20-25 bucks that lets you see 3 movies per week aka 156 movies a yr if you utilize it right… if they pushed that more they would get more bizz and might actually peak more people interest.. hell I could see some people copping a month pass when several movies they like come out in the same month.. they’ll binge watch all those movies than quit the subscription.. hell they need to push binge watch the theatre experience

Agreed. With everything going the way of subscription models (toothbrushes, shavers, grooming products, etc) you'd think there would be all types of subscription models in place for theaters.

The majority of the movies I've seen on the big screen in the past 20 years were from contest wins ( free tickets for advanced screenings / premieres) and when redeeming points (formerly for Famous Players, now Cineplex, through AirMiles loyalty program ... they would have 2-for-1 tickets, or 2 free tickets - 2 drinks - 2 popcorn redemptions). So over 100 movies via the advanced screenings, and we would sometimes just say fuck it - enter for the romantic comedies that we had NO INTEREST in seeing and bring our recycled 3D glasses along with us to see the latest Marvel or action blockbuster free of charge.

Still laugh at the time we won tickets to some shitty Katherine Heigl comedy, and waited in the lobby until just before Avengers started and headed in there.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Anyone have any good discount theaters in their area, or had them previously?

One of the popular places growing up was called Dolphin Cinemas. They had a few screens but were centrally located and easy to get to. Believe at their cheapest they were $2, and most expensive near the end around $6 or 7.

My former dentist used to be next door ... they were directly across the street from a McDonald's and an arcade (narrowly avoided an afternoon stabbing there while in junior high) and down the block from a comic book store, 7-11, groceries, etc. Best experience was probably seeing the original Jurassic Park there. Packed theater with line-up around the corner on a Friday night.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
:roflmao3:

When you go to dollar tree and look at their box candy section and go wait these the same fucking candy they charge $7 bucks for at the theatre , fuck you movies

My pops' favorite theater used to be in the same parking lot as a London Drugs. It was funny watching him stock up on chocolate bars & candy there ahead of movie time ... and you'd be watching something with him and he'd elbow you in the shoulder and present you with a handful of stuff to choose from. His line - "I can afford the London Drug prices. Not the concession stuff here!"

850credit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
They need to show more PPV events and private showings of classics...appeal to movie clubs who might come out for a MCU MARATHON or MICHEAL KEATON BATMAN viewing party.

Ain't enough folks coming out for today's showings.

mrcmd187

Controversy Creates Cash
BGOL Investor
Covid motivated me to build a home theater. I have not been to a movie theater since and probably won't. Honestly can't even remember the last movie I went to the theater to see.
Same here the few times I have went is cause my neighbor always inviting me and the grand kids to private screening at cinema cafe. Most movies have short to digital times now and Cams are way more clear then the good old days.

850credit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
A cool idea for the movies is to have food trucks in the parking lot. Allow folks to bring that food in. The movie theater gets a cut from the food trucks. That would be something different every now and then.

Also do movies with the lights on. Make the theater a meeting place. Isn't that basically the main driver anyway, that it's a meetup spot for youngsters? Embrace that and play music with the movie playing in the background. Damn near make it a club.

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
Also do movies with the lights on. Make the theater a meeting place. Isn't that basically the main driver anyway, that it's a meetup spot for youngsters? Embrace that and play music with the movie playing in the background. Damn near make it a club.

July just had the second biggest July in history

The movies aren't going anywhere or needs to be changed

This AMC situation is because of them upgrading and buying theaters acquiring debt and then having Covid hit.

AMC isn't going anywhere. Just like Regal is about to come out of bankruptcy.

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
A cool idea for the movies is to have food trucks in the parking lot. Allow folks to bring that food in. The movie theater gets a cut from the food trucks. That would be something different every now and then.
That’s like asking a bar or club to allow somebody to sell drinks outside their establishment and getting a percentage of that.. they would lose money with that idea.. they make most of their money off of food and drinks why would they cut off their money for others to benefit more out the deal

Ceenote

Thinkn with My 3rd Eye!
Platinum Member

This AMC situation is because of them upgrading and buying theaters acquiring debt and then having Covid hit.

Welp the movie theater not far from me been picking up bigger and bigger crowds! Even the one around my job has the same thing... i dont think its going anywhere either! Just cause guys on here dont like going to the movies they equate that to everyone is not going...haha..i just went and seen the haunted mansion...just to get out with the wife...its an outting just like everything else...im not that closed minded...

VAiz4hustlaz

Proud ADOS and not afraid to step to da mic!
BGOL Investor
That’s like asking a bar or club to allow somebody to sell drinks outside their establishment and getting a percentage of that.. they would lose money with that idea.. they make most of their money off of food and drinks why would they cut off their money for others to benefit more out the deal

I've seen clubs in Atlanta with people selling bbq outside.

bham_brotha

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I dont really care what other folks do.. it's just a waste of money for ME. $20 just for a ticket then ridiculous ass priced food and shit. Then dealing with the ignorant folks in there that want to talk or whatever else. It would be even better if there were an option to buy movies at release rather than having to go to the theater.

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Welp the movie theater not far from me been picking up bigger and bigger crowds! Even the one around my job has the same thing... i dont think its going anywhere either! Just cause guys on here dont like going to the movies they equate that to everyone is not going...haha..i just went and seen the haunted mansion...just to get out with the wife...its an outting just like everything else...im not that closed minded...
This thread was made during Covid when people were scared to go into public places and crowds. Yet for some reason this thread getting bumped 3 yrs later when Covid outbreaks has been reduced.. so 2023 is diff than 2020.. kinda like how nigs are kumbaya with each other now but 2 yrs ago you would’ve thought it was blood vs crips with the Covid shot takers vs the non Covid shot takers.. what a difference a few yrs make

mrcmd187

Controversy Creates Cash
BGOL Investor

More like down sizing, one thing no one mentioned was at one point theaters were part of damn near every mall and with malls going the way of the dinosaur and so did a lot of the multiplex movie theaters that were attached to them. There use to be more stand alone theaters but, someone came up with the idea of closing a large number of them down to make larger ones in the malls.

850credit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

To aid its recovery, AMC is diversifying its in-theater offerings and cutting more deals with musicians for concert films. It’s juicing ticket prices by adding higher-end viewing experiences and closing, renovating or relocating theaters. Seeking new sources of revenue, AMC is launching its own branded concession-stand snacks and merchandise, including collectible popcorn buckets, for $25 apiece.

mrcmd187

Controversy Creates Cash
BGOL Investor

To aid its recovery, AMC is diversifying its in-theater offerings and cutting more deals with musicians for concert films. It’s juicing ticket prices by adding higher-end viewing experiences and closing, renovating or relocating theaters. Seeking new sources of revenue, AMC is launching its own branded concession-stand snacks and merchandise, including collectible popcorn buckets, for $25 apiece.
They are so out of touch and on life support.

55th View

Rising Star
Registered
Took my wife and son to the theater last week and it was approximately $95, including snacks. Compare that to $19.95 for American Fiction, which we watched in the comfort of our own home. I personally think theaters are going to become a thing of the past. Hard to imagine right now - but in 1995, you wouldn't imagine a world with the pic below either. Times change - simple as that.

The_Last_Blockbuster_storefront.jpg