Actress Mo'Nique suing Netflix for race, gender discrimination (filed Nov 14, 2019)

Actress Mo'Nique suing Netflix for race, gender discrimination
The lawsuit claims Mo’Nique was "given a low-ball offer that was only a fraction of what Netflix paid other comedians."

LOS ANGELES — Oscar-winning actress and comedian Mo'Nique sued Netflix on Thursday, accusing the streaming giant of racial and gender discrimination by trying to drastically underpay her for a stand-up special after offering other stars tens of millions of dollars.

The suit filed in Los Angeles County Superior Court accuses Netflix of giving a “biased, discriminatory” offer to Mo'Nique for a one-hour comedy special around November 2017.

In the 39-page filing, Mo’Nique calls out everyone from the top executives of the Netflix management team to highlighting the gender wage gap and lack of diversity in Hollywood.

“Despite Mo’Nique’s extensive résumé and documented history of comedic success, when Netflix presented her with an offer of employment for an exclusive stand-up comedy special, Netflix made a lowball offer that was only a fraction of what Netflix paid other (non-Black female) comedians,” according to the lawsuit, which seeks unspecified damages and was filed on her behalf by attorneys at the deRubertis Law Firm, APC and Schimmel & Parks, APLC.

The comedian was offered $500,000 as a “talent fee,” an offer the lawsuit claims was significantly less than those offered to men and white women for the same type of stand-up original specials.

“When the talent was not a Black woman, Netflix offered to pay, and did pay, astronomically more than it pays to Black women like it offered to Mo'Nique,” the lawsuit said.

In a statemented posted on Instagram, Mo'Nique said Thursday she had a choice to make, "I could accept what I felt was pay discrimination or I could stand up for those who came before me and those who will come after me."

"i chose to stand up," she said.

A Netflix spokesperson did not immediately respond to NBC News' request for comment. They have previously declined to address Mo'Nique's complaints, saying "Netflix does not comment on contract negotiations."

The suit said Netflix reportedly signed a $100 million deal in 2017 with comedian Jerry Seinfeld for two stand-up specials and an interview series. It also said Netflix reportedly signed a deal with comedian Dave Chapelle in 2016 worth $60 million in 2016 for three specials.

Chris Rock was reportedly offered a $40 million deal with Netflix in 2016 for two specials, the lawsuit said, and Ricky Gervais was reportedly also offered $40 million for a two-show deal around 2016.

The lawsuit goes on to allege Netflix initially offered comedian Amy Schumer $11 million in 2017 for an hourlong special and that she was able to negotiate an increase to $13 million over the offers made to Chapelle and Rock.

“Thus, Netflix reportedly offered or paid Rock, Chapelle, Degeneris, and Gervais forty (40) times more per show than it offered Mo’Nique, and it offered Schumer twenty-six (26) times more per show than Mo’Nique,” the lawsuit said. “In short, Netflix’s offer to Mo’Nique perpetuates the drastic wage gap forced upon Black women in America’s workforce.”

The lawsuit claims that Netflix lacked diversity in its leadership and reportedly turned a blind eye or did not act quickly enough when a senior executive and an actor in a series used racist language.

The filing claims Netflix’s Board of Directors has “historically lacked racial diversity and, instead, has been white-only for years. For years, the Board lacked even one Black member — let alone, a Black female” and highlights “in 2018 and 2019 respectively, Netflix reported that only 4% and 6% of its workforce being comprised of Black employees. In other words, while its senior management specifically lacks racial diversity, Netflix’s workforce generally also underrepresents Black workers compared to the general population.”

Netflix reportedly allowed actor Kevin Spacey to repeatedly make racist remarks, including using the N-word, while he worked on its series “House of Cards,” according to the lawsuit.

The suit also claims that in early 2018, Netflix’s then Chief Communications Officer Jonathan Friedland used the N-word in a meeting. Multiple employees reportedly complained, according to the lawsuit, which led to Friedland apologizing.

Later, Friedland reportedly met with black human resources employees and used the N-word again in retelling the incident, according to the lawsuit. Months later, Friedland allegedly was invited to speak in front of black employees and did not apologize for his remark.

It was only after that that Netflix fired Friedland and acknowledged he “showed unacceptably low racial awareness and sensitivity,” according to the suit.

Last year, Mo'Nique spoke out about the $500,000 offer she received and called for people to boycott Netflix “for gender and color bias.”

“Netflix is one of Hollywood’s most innovative companies, yet it not only perpetuates racial and gender inequality, it also takes advantage of a gender pay gap that disproportionately affects black women,” said Mo’Nique’s lawyer, Michael W. Parks. “When Mo’Nique, one of the most well-known black female comedians in America, faced that anachronistic attitude, she knew it was time to challenge the status quo.”

David M. deRubertis, who also represents Mo'Nique, said, “In recent years, the spotlight has appropriately shined on the gender pay inequities that continue to plague the American workforce. By this lawsuit, Mo’Nique is taking a stand against the most severe pay gap of all: the pay gap experienced by black women in the American workforce.”

After Mo'Nique came forward, fellow comedian Wanda Sykes also said she had been “offended” by a previous low offer from Netflix, which she rejected.

Sykes went on to later have a comedy special with the streaming service.

When asked at a conference earlier this year what made the difference this time around, Sykes said, “They moved that comma.”

The filing highlighted the gender pay disparity between actors Claire Foy and Matt Smith on the Netflix series "The Crown," where it was revealed Foy was being paid significantly less than her counterpart on the show, which later prompted an apology from show producers.

Earlier this year, Netflix content chief Ted Sarandos told the Makers Conference in California that the controversy over the pay disparity led the company to review talent salaries in its original and third-party series and make some pay adjustments, according to Deadline.

"What it did for us is, it had us go back and look at all of our productions and all of our productions that were being run by third parties, to make sure none of those disparities existed," he said at the time.

Last edited:

Comments

robinsee

Rising Star
Registered
I’m unable to determine how OUR ENTIRE CULTURE feels.

I go by what I hear and what I see. And what I see is most talking about her popularity or lack thereof contributing to the low 500k offer in comparison to the others.
:idea::idea:

and yet POPULARITY aren't NUMBERS

thats the same dumb shit (REAL) Wanda was talking in the video clip

you cant measure POPULARITY
you cant measure REAL
you CAN measure ticket sales

and you just proved my point

Last edited:

Picasso

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
:idea::idea:

and yet POPULARITY aren't NUMBERS

thats the same dumb shit (REAL) Wanda was talking in the video clip

you cant measure POPULARITY
you cant measure REAL
you CAN measure ticket sales

and you just proved my point
If you’re going to post jokes, at least end it with a “Lol”.

I understand this is technically a comedy thread but I thought we were being serious?

Popularity is derived from Facebook, Instagram,Twitter followers and TICKET SALES at the box office and a performers shows.

And all of those were to come up with an offer for Chappelle, Rock and Schumer and Mo’Nique.

Can’t “Measure” popularity huh? Would you say the women below are popular or are we unable to measure that?

“Can’t measure popularity”?

If you don’t gtfo saying that dumb shit!

robinsee

Rising Star
Registered

I understand this is technically a comedy thread but I thought we were being serious?

Popularity is derived from Facebook, Instagram,Twitter followers and TICKET SALES at the box office and a performers shows.

And all of those were to come up with an offer for Chappelle, Rock and Schumer and Mo’Nique.

Can’t “Measure” popularity huh? Would you say the women below are popular or are we unable to measure that?

niggas like you STILL dont get it

watch the video again dumbass, let Katt explain it to you again

Picasso

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Dave Chappelle and Eddie Murphy weren’t on tours when Netflix offered them millions. I’m guessing it was their “Popularity” that got them that money.

Just another example for you.

But you still don’t get it.

LordSinister

Grand Galactic Inquisitor/Last King of Ockland
Super Moderator

The difference is would you pay $50 to watch the Kardashians tell stand up jokes?

They are selling shit. Nobody's going to buy MoNique lingere, hair products or beauty tips.

Picasso

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The difference is would you pay $50 to watch the Kardashians tell stand up jokes?

They are selling shit. Nobody's going to buy MoNique lingere, hair products or beauty tips.
Your thinking is to specific on “Comedy”, think of a venue that can hold concerts and comedy and who would pay to see that person there.

If the Kardashian’s stated that they were having an event at MSG. Who would sell more tickets, them or Mo’Nique?

You know the answer to that.
That’s “Popularity”.

Picasso

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Katt explained in great detail EXACTLY why Moniques offer was what it was

I re-watched the vid, yes ticket sales do account for what your offer will be. That’s already been stated.

But in that same video Katt mentioned Tiffany Haddish getting a Netflix special and she’s never had a tour...

I wonder why Netflix would offers a comedian millions of dollars if they’ve never sold any tickets for comedy?

That’s right, POPULARITY!

Now go

because you clearly don’t get it.

robinsee

Rising Star
Registered
Dave Chappelle and Eddie Murphy weren’t on tours when Netflix offered them millions. I’m guessing it was their “Popularity” that got them that money.

Just another example for you.

But you still don’t get it.
between me, you, and Katt, only one of us has actually sat down at the negotiating table with Netflix

only one of us has an actual contract to read, that our words are based off of

but you know better right?

are you privy to the Chappelle and Murphy negotiations?
tell us, what equation did they use to factor in popularity?

you dumb FUCK

you have no idea what they were offered, why they were offered, or how the offer was calculated you fucking moron

oh but you DO KNOW how Monique and Katt offers were calculated because someone with DIRECT knowledge explained it to your dumb ass

but go ahead
tell what you THINK and FEEL like some gatdamn female

FOH hoe ass nigga

Picasso

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
between me, you, and Katt, only one of us has actually sat down at the negotiating table with Netflix

only one of us has an actual contract to read, that our words are based off of

but you know better right?

are you privy to the Chappelle and Murphy negotiations?
tell us, what equation did they use to factor in popularity?

you dumb FUCK

you have no idea what they were offered, why they were offered, or how the offer was calculated you fucking moron

oh but you DO KNOW how Monique and Katt offers were calculated because someone with DIRECT knowledge explained it to your dumb ass

but go ahead
tell what you THINK and FEEL like some gatdamn female

FOH hoe ass nigga
Chappelle was give 20 million dollars per Netflix special, that’s documented. Any Schumer was give 13 million, that’s documented.

Chris Rock’s numbers were given but I don’t remember that, you can google if you’d like.

In the video you posted, Katt stated how the numbers for his show and Mo’Nique’s were calculated. I’d guess that Charlie Murphy’s numbers were calculated by his popularity and ticket sales.

You really are a shit for brains ass nigga that can’t admit when he’s wrong, I can tell by your posts that you’re a bitch.

It’s actually sad when the knowledge is right in front of you you still find a way to fuck it up. It’s only Tuesday and I’m confident you’ll be the dumbest nigga that I come across all week. I can only hope.

Enjoy your bliss of ignorance on this beautiful Tueday morning, and fuck off faggot because I don’t speak to niggas with shit for brains.

:cheers:

robinsee

Rising Star
Registered
Chappelle was give 20 million dollars per Netflix special, that’s documented. Any Schumer was give 13 million, that’s documented.

Chris Rock’s numbers were given but I don’t remember that, you can google if you’d like.

In the video you posted, Katt stated how the numbers for his show and Mo’Nique’s were calculated. I’d guess that Charlie Murphy’s numbers were calculated by his popularity and ticket sales.

You really are a shit for brains ass nigga that can’t admit when he’s wrong, I can tell by your posts that you’re a bitch.

It’s actually sad when the knowledge is right in front of you you still find a way to fuck it up. It’s only Tuesday and I’m confident you’ll be the dumbest nigga that I come across all week. I can only hope.

Enjoy your bliss of ignorance on this beautiful Tueday morning, and fuck off faggot because I don’t speak to niggas with shit for brains.

tell us...

_____

now whats....

x POPULARITY!

you dumb fuck

you cannot calculate figures based off FEELINGS and EMOTIONS

you really are retarded

the (POPULARITY!) that you cant let go of has to be based off a factual number

Chappelle had his own show
Murphy has a resume of movies and TV

has Monique ever headlined anything that didnt go straight to DVD

like Katt said, WHAT ELSE CAN THEY GO OFF OF

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
After Mo'Nique came forward, fellow comedian Wanda Sykes also said she had been “offended” by a previous low offer from Netflix, which she rejected.

Sykes went on to later have a comedy special with the streaming service.

When asked at a conference earlier this year what made the difference this time around, Sykes said, “They moved that comma.”
:yes:
The filing highlighted the gender pay disparity between actors Claire Foy and Matt Smith on the Netflix series "The Crown," where it was revealed Foy was being paid significantly less than her counterpart on the show, which later prompted an apology from show producers.

Earlier this year, Netflix content chief Ted Sarandos told the Makers Conference in California that the controversy over the pay disparity led the company to review talent salaries in its original and third-party series and make some pay adjustments, according to Deadline.
:itsawrap:

Picasso

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
tell us...

_____

now whats....

x POPULARITY!

you dumb fuck

you cannot calculate figures based off FEELINGS and EMOTIONS

you really are retarded

the (POPULARITY!) that you cant let go of has to be based off a factual number

Chappelle had his own show
Murphy has a resume of movies and TV

has Monique ever headlined anything that didnt go straight to DVD

like Katt said, WHAT ELSE CAN THEY GO OFF OF

LordSinister

Grand Galactic Inquisitor/Last King of Ockland
Super Moderator
Your thinking is to specific on “Comedy”, think of a venue that can hold concerts and comedy and who would pay to see that person there.

If the Kardashian’s stated that they were having an event at MSG. Who would sell more tickets, them or Mo’Nique?

You know the answer to that.
That’s “Popularity”.
That's true, but if you were throwing a big party and was looking to impress with catering who do choose, McDonald's or a 4 star Michelin chef?

McDonald's right cause they are more popular.

I'm just saying people that get likes on TV and social media might not translate into actual purchases.

That's all.

Picasso

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
That's true, but if you were throwing a big party and was looking to impress with catering who do choose, McDonald's or a 4 star Michelin chef?

McDonald's right cause they are more popular.

I'm just saying people that get likes on TV and social media might not translate into actual purchases.

That's all.
You’re correct and I choose the 4 star chef.

All I’m saying is the Kardashian’s will get paid more to be at the venue the Mo’Nique.

"THE MAN"

Resident Cool Nerd
BGOL Investor
Comedian A has 750,000 followers on each social media platform and averages 100,000 likes per post.
Comedian B has 25,000 followers on each social media platform and averages 1,000 likes per post.
If Comedian A and Comedian B both booked MSG for a show, who is more than likely to sell out of tickets?
Show your work. Lol.

AllUniverse17

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Bro, all due respect, but what popularity does Monique have to speak of?

Guys like Chappelle and Rock got paid big bucks because Netflix had to outbid HBO to get them. When you are "in demand" your price goes up.

Being in demand can be shown by ticket sales and it can be shown by other offers you are getting.

Eddie Murphy's agent puts it out that he wants to make a comeback. Netflix, HBO, Amazon, Showtime... They go in a bidding war and Eddie comes out the winner.

Sadly for Monique, i dont see what she has on her side to show she deserves much more.

Ask yourself this. If you ran Netflix, would you pay Monique 1 mill if her next best offer was 500K?

Picasso

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Bro, all due respect, but what popularity does Monique have to speak of?

Guys like Chappelle and Rock got paid big bucks because Netflix had to outbid HBO to get them. When you are "in demand" your price goes up.

Being in demand can be shown by ticket sales and it can be shown by other offers you are getting.

Eddie Murphy's agent puts it out that he wants to make a comeback. Netflix, HBO, Amazon, Showtime... They go in a bidding war and Eddie comes out the winner.

Sadly for Monique, i dont see what she has on her side to show she deserves much more.

Ask yourself this. If you ran Netflix, would you pay Monique 1 mill if her next best offer was 500K?
My point was that Mo’Nique “Wasn’t” popular which is why she was offered 500k instead of the millions like the others.

Ya boy in this thread seems too believe that popularity can’t be measured and popularity or lack thereof has nothing to do with the money that Netflix offered.:confused:

Last edited:

robinsee

Rising Star
Registered
Ya boy in this thread seems too believe that popularity can’t be measured and popularity or lack thereof has nothing to do with the money that Netflix offered.:confused:
no DUMMY

it depends on WHO is doing the measuring idiot.

if they choose to have recent tour ticket sales equate POPULARITY! as you like to say

be it social media likes

the sales from the last movie they made

whatever

but NONE OF US are privy to those metrics outside of what Katt said. nigga you just throwing shit at the wall GUESSING.

we have no idea where everyone elses numbers came from

what we DO KNOW is how Katt and Moniques offers were constructed

POPULARITY!!!!!!!!!

stupid ass nigga

Picasso

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
again....

tell us...

_____

now whats....

x POPULARITY!

Dave Chappelle is reportedly making $60 million for his Netflix comedy specials

As I told you before, he hadn’t had a comedy special since 2004. Stepped away from the entertainment business for 10 years.

min 2016 signed a 60 million dollar Netflix deal due to what he’s done and his “Popularity”.

He wasn’t selling out arenas in 2004 so where do you think they got that 60 million dollar figure from?
http://www.businessinsider.com/dave-chappelle-salary-netflix-comedy-specials-deal-2016-11

Now seriously, go do something because I can no longer speak to fools.

Picasso

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
no DUMMY

it depends on WHO is doing the measuring idiot.

if they choose to have recent tour ticket sales equate POPULARITY! as you like to say

be it social media likes

the sales from the last movie they made

whatever

but NONE OF US are privy to those metrics outside of what Katt said. nigga you just throwing shit at the wall GUESSING.

we have no idea where everyone elses numbers came from

what we DO KNOW is how Katt and Moniques offers were constructed

POPULARITY!!!!!!!!!

stupid ass nigga
You really are slow and I feel like I’m picking on a child that’s mentally underdeveloped.

I’m sorry, hopefully your caretakers had you neutered so that they’ll be no more like you.

oskie

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Dave Chappelle is reportedly making $60 million for his Netflix comedy specials

As I told you before, he hadn’t had a comedy special since 2004. Stepped away from the entertainment business for 10 years.

min 2016 signed a 60 million dollar Netflix deal due to what he’s done and his “Popularity”.

He wasn’t selling out arenas in 2004 so where do you think they got that 60 million dollar figure from?
http://www.businessinsider.com/dave-chappelle-salary-netflix-comedy-specials-deal-2016-11

Now seriously, go do something because I can no longer speak to fools.
Not jump in but...

Two of the specials have already been shot but were never released. The third one will be produced specifically for Netflix. All three are set to release simultaneously in 2017.

He just sold the rights to shows he already shot. Same as Katt did.

Picasso

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Not jump in but...

Two of the specials have already been shot but were never released. The third one will be produced specifically for Netflix. All three are set to release simultaneously in 2017.

He just sold the rights to shows he already shot. Same as Katt did.
You’re right, but why did they pay him $20 million per special?

Feel free to jump in, but jump in expressing the point that we’re speaking about.

oskie

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
You’re right, but why did they pay him $20 million per special?

Feel free to jump in, but jump in expressing the point that we’re speaking about.
My response was to your statement..

From ticket sale demand. These shows dave did were pop up shows were he announced a date and tickets sold out in a couple of hours. No paid promotion, just social media. He didnt plan a tour he just posted that he going to be somewhere and people flocked.

Picasso

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
My response was to your statement..

From ticket sale demand. These shows dave did were pop up shows were he announced a date and tickets sold out in a couple of hours. No paid promotion, just social media. He didnt plan a tour he just posted that he going to be somewhere and people flocked.
So are you saying it was his “Popularity”?

RUDY RAYYY MO

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Did you hear the one about the above-average comedian who turned down half a million dollars for a few hours work while other talented comedians all over the country are working for nothing or next to nothing?

But Seriously Folks,

Show Business is not some kind of Government / Union job where Longevity determines overall worth. Show Business is the ultimate popularity contest. As they say, When you're Hot You're Hot and When you're Not you're Not. Monique has been lukewarm for a minute now. Lawsuits and Internet complaining is no way to build a "Brand".
Right and again Amy sold out MSG so in other words that alone warranted NETFLIX dropping the bag,now 13 million is excessive for the unfunny joke stealing bish. To me 2 -5 million would have been just,oh and she had the Chrus Rock cosign which I still don't understand. Mo should have taken the half mill or negotiate to a million,then if her special had been a hit ask NET for a multi million deal

man-machine

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Right and again Amy sold out MSG so in other words that alone warranted NETFLIX dropping the bag,now 13 million is excessive for the unfunny joke stealing bish. To me 2 -5 million would have been just,oh and she had the Chrus Rock cosign which I still don't understand. Mo should have taken the half mill or negotiate to a million,then if her special had been a hit ask NET for a multi million deal
Negotiate. Take your show elsewhere. Plenty of places to go and of course you can always produce it yourself. She talks about what Chapelle got but you know Chapelle was in Comedy clubs doing "3 hour" sets. This was after the Chapelle Show.

RUDY RAYYY MO

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Negotiate. Take your show elsewhere. Plenty of places to go and of course you can always produce it yourself. She talks about what Chapelle got but you know Chapelle was in Comedy clubs doing "3 hour" sets. This was after the Chapelle Show.
And Chapelle had the show.