A 40-hour week? Not in IT

Jagi

True Fist of the North Star
OG Investor

IT has always been known for its long hours, but a new survey released by The IT Job Board says the situation is getting worse. In fact, 7.3 percent of the survey respondents claimed that this year they’re working 60 to 75 hours on average each week — that is one third higher than 2008 (at 4.8 percent).

75 percent advised that their company doesn’t pay overtime (or the positions are salaried), and 54 percent claimed to taking work home.

The reasons behind this trend are as you would expect — high volumes of work and management expectations of staffers.

When asked what impact the longer working hours was having on their professional and personal lives, those surveyed responded:

* 34 percent believed that their work productivity has decreased.
* 66 percent stated that their social life has been affected.
* 37 percent claimed their health had been affected in some way.

So how do you fall in these statistics? Are you working more hours?

gman2k4

Star
Registered
If they're paying by the hour, it's win-win.

C/s i luv it...I get paid by the hour and i stretch that shit for real. I havent worked a 40 hour week not one time this year :dance::dance::dance::dance:

i feel bad for them salaried mofos staying over is not worth it- but me ya gotta pay me to clock out

destrehan

Star
Registered
i like workin salary better than hourly, because i'm a mufuckin slacker extraordinaire. im good for takin 2 hr lunches and leavin early.

Jagi

OG Investor
i like workin salary better than hourly, because i'm a mufuckin slacker extraordinaire. im good for takin 2 hr lunches and leavin early.

50/50

That's how i got it now, salary based. long lunches, drag my feet, post on bgol for the first 3 hours of my day before i map out my day, then its time for lunch, start working at 3pm (if i'm not at the bar) in by 10am out by 6pm

then again, making some overtime would be nice, i havent seen overtime pay in over 10 years.. spot bonuses is it really outside of salary increases.

4 weeks vacation aint bad, unlimited sick days, 10 personal days.

about to go to a division meeting i'm late for then hit the bar for lunch, which i already ate since i brought in my own lunch..

this work shit getting harder and harder.. though..

MadWun

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
50/50

That's how i got it now, salary based. long lunches, drag my feet, post on bgol for the first 3 hours of my day before i map out my day, then its time for lunch, start working at 3pm (if i'm not at the bar) in by 10am out by 6pm

then again, making some overtime would be nice, i havent seen overtime pay in over 10 years.. spot bonuses is it really outside of salary increases.

4 weeks vacation aint bad, unlimited sick days, 10 personal days.

about to go to a division meeting i'm late for then hit the bar for lunch, which i already ate since i brought in my own lunch..

this work shit getting harder and harder.. though..

It's 50/50 like you said. Being salaried has its advantages and disadvantages. If you have a chill work situation and you're salaried, you get away with murder. Just make sure your work shit is done and on point, and you are good to go.

Being paid hourly is good if you can clock those OT hours. I remember once coming into work at 11am, and did not leave till 1am the next day. As a salaried employee you think I got paid for all those extra hours? Numerous times that has occurred :angry: but I rather be salaried over hourly especially if there are no OT hours involved with being hourly.

JaRonin

Rising Star
Platinum Member

I could have posted this shit word for word and it would be true. Just add the fact that if you really know what you are doing, then you could spend time working on other computer skills that you don't already have or surfing BGOL like me.

Delta7

Star
Registered
Damn, I don't know who to believe anymore, some people say h1bs destroyed IT and others say it's still jobs in that field.

What do you do in IT? and how did you get in?

DragonXJC

I joke and I know things
BGOL Investor
I sometimes I have to work 7am-7pm.

I get paid hourly.

Hour lunch (if I get a chance to even take it.)

6 weeks Paid Time off (vacation+sick rolled into one)

It was cool back when I was a normal tech, now I'm management along with my tech duties. It's overkill. Nevertheless, I'm looking for other employment.

Delta7

Star
Registered

I get paid hourly.

It was cool back when I was a normal tech, now I'm management along with my tech duties. It's overkill. Nevertheless, I'm looking for other employment.

what do you do? What certs/degree do you have? Live?

kdogg3270

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
i started off yrs ago as a telemarketer while in school for IT. right around graduation, i talked my way into my first IT job (struck up a convo with one of the techs). after that the IT manager happened to be roaming the building, and i put in a few words :D..sure enough, when i graduated school they hired me on as Level I desktop support (promotion and raise, same company) . I was killin' it with the overtime (which everyone else was bitchin' about lol). One weekend a major project came up and, no bullshit, i worked from friday morning (start of my normal shift) up until Sunday afternoon with NO BREAKS. I also was taking my turn as the oncall that saturday so i had to be there regardless. Well needless to say we were hallucinating up in that bitch we wanted to sleep so bad. Got the job done and went home sunday afternoon. Had to be back to work monday morning too :( ... but come next payday that shit was sweet :yes::yes::yes:

Now i am a salaried Sys. admin. shit's a whole different story.

destrehan

Star
Registered

I get paid hourly.

yea fuck management. that's where i draw the line. i got a fuckin life.

cbm_redux

Star
Registered
Having already sent my kid through undergrad and saved for her education beyond that, I wouldn't work a 5 day work-week if you put a gun to my head. I live quite comfortably working 4 days.

Zero

Star
Registered
Damn, I don't know who to believe anymore, some people say h1bs destroyed IT and others say it's still jobs in that field.

What do you do in IT? and how did you get in?

Most major companies have some sort of export controlled portion of their environment that they can't outsource to H1B's or offshore for security reasons. Those jobs generally pay a grip, but you have to be on your shit to get them (and you have to have a clean background check). We just had a dude get let go because he got popped for shoplifting in 1978 and he got a hit on a background check. most checks aren't that tight, but some are.

Delta7

Star
Registered
Most major companies have some sort of export controlled portion of their environment that they can't outsource to H1B's or offshore for security reasons. Those jobs generally pay a grip, but you have to be on your shit to get them (and you have to have a clean background check). We just had a dude get let go because he got popped for shoplifting in 1978 and he got a hit on a background check. most checks aren't that tight, but some are.

I'm still considered entry level 2 year degree + A+ Certification, obviously I ain't getting no major gig since I usually get bullshit 1 or 2 day contract to put together a damn computer.

I should probably just quit the I.T shit and just do something else.

destrehan

Star
Registered
I'm still considered entry level 2 year degree + A+ Certification, obviously I ain't getting no major gig since I usually get bullshit 1 or 2 day contract to put together a damn computer.

I should probably just quit the I.T shit and just do something else.
you should got to the air force for 4 years and bolster your resume with a degree and some experience. they have easy bachelor programs tailored to the military.

Delta7

Star
Registered
I got Sickle Cell, they won't accept me since I cannot pass the physical... I'm also outta the age group.

Mo-Better

The R&B Master
OG Investor

IT has always been known for its long hours, but a new survey released by The IT Job Board says the situation is getting worse. In fact, 7.3 percent of the survey respondents claimed that this year they’re working 60 to 75 hours on average each week — that is one third higher than 2008 (at 4.8 percent).

75 percent advised that their company doesn’t pay overtime (or the positions are salaried), and 54 percent claimed to taking work home.

The reasons behind this trend are as you would expect — high volumes of work and management expectations of staffers.

When asked what impact the longer working hours was having on their professional and personal lives, those surveyed responded:

* 34 percent believed that their work productivity has decreased.
* 66 percent stated that their social life has been affected.
* 37 percent claimed their health had been affected in some way.

So how do you fall in these statistics? Are you working more hours?

In addition they forgot to mention the increase in errors associated in overworking a staff. Guess quality control don't mean shit anymore. :smh:

destrehan

Star
Registered
I got Sickle Cell, they won't accept me since I cannot pass the physical... I'm also outta the age group.
damn so you a old nigga with sickle cell huh and busllshit associates? may wanna look into some self-euthanization in that case.

p5ych3

Curry Is My God
BGOL Patreon Investor
i'm hourly. i can work anywhere from 8hr to 13.5hrs+ depending on the shift.
if its an oncall rotation add in 4hrs etc per call out for travel and whatever
work needs to be done. i'm glad for the hourly pay, since we lost differential
pay. I got kids and debt. Some days like last 2 weeks where i worked 12days
straight (27hrs on the weekend) puts you in an altered state of mind.

ceedizzle

Rising Star
Registered
This DOES NOT apply to IT working for ACE-IT. The clock and pay stops at 4pm for me unless the Exchange server goes down!

CPT Callamity

Titty Feelin Villain
BGOL Investor
I get paid by the hour but I'm in around 9 and out at 5:30 (sometimes earlier). My boss hardly authorizes overtime but I get placed on contracts every now and then which earns that plus mileage. I do work a solid 40 hours a week, which gives me time to do personal PC repair on the side in the evenings and weekends. I guess if I worked for a hardcore company I could complain, but being a field technician for the one I'm working for is pretty sweet.

Liquid2000

Star
Registered
Im hourly and just got switched to nights. 11-8am. All my calls stop around 2am, so I just watch slingbox till 6am then work till 8am and im out! :angry::angry:

Jagi

OG Investor
Im hourly and just got switched to nights. 11-8am. All my calls stop around 2am, so I just watch slingbox till 6am then work till 8am and im out! :angry::angry:

Night shift used to rock.. car service to and from work cause its was considered outside of standard business hours. 4 days of work a week equaling a full week. OT and Time and a Half on weekends and holidays.

then the new manager brought in his own team and pushed everyone else out :angry:

kdogg3270

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Night shift used to rock.. car service to and from work cause its was considered outside of standard business hours. 4 days of work a week equaling a full week. OT and Time and a Half on weekends and holidays.

then the new manager brought in his own team and pushed everyone else out :angry:

damn. sounds like how nfl teams are run. and u had it good too.

NuBNPrince

Potential Star
Registered
I'm salaried, exempt from overtime... and I'm in management. I don't necessarily have to pull 60-hour work weeks, but I haven't seen a 40-hour work week in a long time. Normally, for me, it's more along the lines of 45-50 hour weeks. And what's worse... is that my upper management discreetly pressures folks in IT at my level and below to work this extra time, making us feel like we're 'unreliable' and won't advance or get raises if we don't.

ballscout1

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I am in IT and salaried..First salaried job I have had and what i get in salary I would have had to work quite a bit of OT in past positions.

I have a 7 hour workday but if there are things that need to be done after the market closes I am on the hook although it rarely exceeds 8 or 9 hours total.

If it is longer than that we do get compensated with comp time and the bonuses are minimum 20%. Plus the atmosphere is laid back.

I don't miss working the extra long days to make the loot.

MadWun

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Very interesting stories in here. I guess I can consider myself lucky. When I started with my current company a week after I got my bachelors degree, the pay was shit, but I came in everyday and did my damn job. Again, it was salaried, and on call every other 2 weeks. When on call, forget it, you're a zombie for a week as calls came in at every fucking odd hour :smh:. I was on call one weekend and I kid you not I dealt with this issue from 2pm Saturday afternoon till 5pm Sunday evening. No sleep :angry: and the client stayed calling us and cursing us out.

Needless to say in 6 months, I got a decent raise. 3 months after that I was bumped up and extra 10g's. In 2 years with the company I almost doubled my starting salary, got my Masters degree to boot :D, and now work in a different capacity. Fuck that on call support shit (fun times :rolleyes:). And this is a small company with great benefits. I love small IT companies as I cannot and will not deal with the crap and politics of big companies (unless the pay is on point ;)).

I'm in limbo just like most of you guy as to what else can I add to help my current situation, to improve my resume and qualifications. Like what certifications could I get. I've been thinking about the PMP for a while now. Any thoughts?

MadWun

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I am in IT and salaried..First salaried job I have had and what i get in salary I would have had to work quite a bit of OT in past positions.

I have a 7 hour workday but if there are things that need to be done after the market closes I am on the hook although it rarely exceeds 8 or 9 hours total.

If it is longer than that we do get compensated with comp time and the bonuses are minimum 20%. Plus the atmosphere is laid back.

I don't miss working the extra long days to make the loot.

:( I used to get a bonus every 4 months (20% of our yearly salary divided by 3). Shit was sweet, but it got axed at the beginning of the year. Ain't that a bitch. Still no complaints though as my gig is laid back and relaxed ;).