50 in 50: Best Black-Owned Soul Food Spots In Each State

RoomService

Dinner is now being served.
BGOL Investor
Best Black-Owned Soul Food Spots In Each State

"Soul food is unique because it has socio-political overtones and carries the burden of race. It's a cuisine based on memory. It's a cuisine founded in resistance, and it's main technique is feeling and intuition,” Michael Twitty, an African American food historian and author wrote in his book "The Cooking Gene."

Soul food can be found throughout the United States, and Georgia has no shortage of restaurants.
But, according to the digital publishing platform Travel Noire, one of those restaurants is a must-visit.
Travel Noire selected one black-owned soul food restaurant from each state for its August “50 in 50.” August is National Black Business Month.

To represent Georgia, the website selected Busy Bee Cafe in Atlanta. Busy Bee’s website touts the restaurant as “Atlanta’s Soul Food Kitchen Since 1947.” It was a meeting spot for civil rights leaders after opening on Martin Luther King Jr. Drive and continues to stay busy, serving up fried chicken and other Southern staples.

Busy Bee’s fried chicken is often among the favorites in the AJC’s annual Best of Atlanta poll, even finishing second in 2017.

http://legacy.travelnoire.com/50-in-50-best-black-owned-soul-food-spots-in-each-state

This is the best black-owned soul food spot in Georgia, according to Travel Noire

HellBoy

Black Cam Girls -> BlackCamZ.Com
Platinum Member
Spent a couple weeks in Huntsville, AL a couple months ago.

Not soul food, but...

Mango's Caribbean Restaurant - 1426 Paramount Dr, Huntsville, AL 35806. Ate here twice. You can fill your to go container at the buffet or dine in. Wife liked it more than I did. The rice and peas had some weird spice in it to make it "unique" I guess. IMO, they were doing too much. Also, too much browning on the chicken.

M & k Jamaican Restaurant - 2501 C, Jordan Ln NW, Huntsville, AL 35816. Authentic vibe all the way down to the owner's kids in the dining area watching videos on their tablets. I was disappointed because EVERYTHING was salty. Not something that should happen with an experienced cook.

HellBoy

Black Cam Girls -> BlackCamZ.Com
Platinum Member
While in Dallas a couple weeks ago we ate at:

Elaine's Kitchen (Jamaican) - 2717 Martin Luther King Jr Blvd, Dallas, TX 75215

Legit. Food was good and large portions.

cold-n-cocky

BGOL vet down since the “56k stay out!” days
BGOL Gold Member
Kountry Kitchen in Indianapolis had a major fire and is closed until further notice.

RoomService

Dinner is now being served.
BGOL Investor

This metro Atlanta restaurant is said to have the best soul food in the state.​

There is nothing better than some good homemade soul food to curb the appetite and an Atlanta restaurant is said to have the best soul food in the entire state.

LoveFood.com has taken a look at the best soul food joints across the country and says Southern Kitchen & Grill in Atlanta has the best soul food in the state.

Not far from Mercer University, Southern Kitchen & Grill can be found along Presidential Parkway.

“Our menu offers six-cheese macaroni, strawberry crunch cake, 10-piece catfish, 25-piece tenders, and more!” the restaurant’s website says.

If you want to see who else has made the list,

dbluesun

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Kountry Kitchen in Indianapolis had a major fire and is closed until further notice.
nah dawg they have a new location until the new building is finished being built

1417 Commerce Ave, Indianapolis, IN 46201

i'm glad they are getting a new building,i put cctv in the old one and stopped eating there

cold-n-cocky

BGOL vet down since the “56k stay out!” days
BGOL Gold Member
nah dawg they have a new location until the new building is finished being built

1417 Commerce Ave, Indianapolis, IN 46201

i'm glad they are getting a new building,i put cctv in the old one and stopped eating there
Good lookin. I remembered they had moved to a spot off Mass Ave not too far from Rural, but hadn’t paid attention to the next steps in thei rebuild.

SuperGenius

Star
Registered
Charles Pan-Fried Chicken Flagship
340 W 145th St. (Central Harlem)
New York, NY 10039
Charles Pan-Fried Chicken (West Harlem)
439 W 125th St.
New York, NY 10027
Charles Pan-Fried Chicken (Upper West Side Manhattan)
146 W 72nd St.
New York, NY 10023

Charles Pan-Fried Chicken (Upper East Side Manhattan)
1325 5th Ave. New York, NY 10026

Good shit!!

c_commander

Up and Coming Asshole
BGOL Investor

This metro Atlanta restaurant is said to have the best soul food in the state.​

There is nothing better than some good homemade soul food to curb the appetite and an Atlanta restaurant is said to have the best soul food in the entire state.

LoveFood.com has taken a look at the best soul food joints across the country and says Southern Kitchen & Grill in Atlanta has the best soul food in the state.

Not far from Mercer University, Southern Kitchen & Grill can be found along Presidential Parkway.

“Our menu offers six-cheese macaroni, strawberry crunch cake, 10-piece catfish, 25-piece tenders, and more!” the restaurant’s website says.

If you want to see who else has made the list,

Looking at their prices it better be the best soul food in the state. $7 for 1 piece of fried fish with no side, $23 for 8 chicken wings with 2 sides(extra if the mac and cheese is a side).

TheBigOne

Master Tittay Poster
Platinum Member
Best Black-Owned Soul Food Spots In Each State

"Soul food is unique because it has socio-political overtones and carries the burden of race. It's a cuisine based on memory. It's a cuisine founded in resistance, and it's main technique is feeling and intuition,” Michael Twitty, an African American food historian and author wrote in his book "The Cooking Gene."

Soul food can be found throughout the United States, and Georgia has no shortage of restaurants.
But, according to the digital publishing platform Travel Noire, one of those restaurants is a must-visit.
Travel Noire selected one black-owned soul food restaurant from each state for its August “50 in 50.” August is National Black Business Month.

To represent Georgia, the website selected Busy Bee Cafe in Atlanta. Busy Bee’s website touts the restaurant as “Atlanta’s Soul Food Kitchen Since 1947.” It was a meeting spot for civil rights leaders after opening on Martin Luther King Jr. Drive and continues to stay busy, serving up fried chicken and other Southern staples.

Busy Bee’s fried chicken is often among the favorites in the AJC’s annual Best of Atlanta poll, even finishing second in 2017.

http://legacy.travelnoire.com/50-in-50-best-black-owned-soul-food-spots-in-each-state

This is the best black-owned soul food spot in Georgia, according to Travel Noire
I'm gonna be in the ATL in a few weeks and am looking for good places to eat. I only know Pascals. I note that Busy Bee is a carryout joint. The menu looks really tasty though. I'm looking for a sit down since my lady will be with me.

c_commander

Up and Coming Asshole
BGOL Investor
I'm gonna be in the ATL in a few weeks and am looking for good places to eat. I only know Pascals. I note that Busy Bee is a carryout joint. The menu looks really tasty though. I'm looking for a sit down since my lady will be with me.
I was gonna say that Busy Bee does dine in but I guess they've made some changes recently. These are places that I've heard are good that I haven't gotten to check out myself but you could look into Roc South, Twisted Soul, Apt 4B and Virgil's Gullah Kitchen.