19-year-old Tre Brown accused of stealing more than $980K from Kroger store in Gwinnett

RoomService

Dinner is now being served.
BGOL Investor
kroger-main.JPG

A teenage employee stole nearly $1 million from a Kroger supermarket in the metro Atlanta area and then went on a shopping spree for guns, shoes and cars, including a Chevrolet Camaro that he totaled, the authorities said on Thursday.
The employee, Tre Brown, 19, obtained more than 40 refunds on several credit cards for merchandise that he falsely claimed had been returned to a Kroger in Duluth, Ga., the police in Gwinnett County said.

The transactions ranged in value from $75 to more than $87,000, according to the police, who said that the fraud scheme was carried out over two weeks in December and January while a supermarket compliance officer was away.
The fraud was later detected by corporate employees of Kroger, who the police said had contacted them. A large sum of the money was returned after Mr. Brown’s arrest on Jan. 14 on a felony charge of theft by taking, the police said. They said they had no further information on the amount recovered.
Cpl. Collin Flynn, a spokesman for the Gwinnett County Police Department, said in an email on Thursday that Mr. Brown worked in the supermarket’s fuel center. The items that Mr. Brown claimed had been returned were lottery tickets, Corporal Flynn said, adding that detectives were trying to determine whether the ticket numbers that he provided were for actual tickets or had been fabricated.

It was not immediately clear how many and what type of guns Mr. Brown purchased. In addition to firearms and cars, he bought clothes and shoes with the money that he stole, the police said. No additional information was available about how or when the Camaro was totaled.
Mr. Brown, of Duluth, was released on bond on the same day of his arrest, according to the Gwinnett County Sheriff’s Office.
No lawyer was listed on the booking records for Mr. Brown, and there was no phone listing for him at the addresses he gave to the authorities.

A booking photo of Tre Brown. A spokesman for the Gwinnett County police said Mr. Brown worked in a Kroger supermarket’s fuel center. Credit...Gwinnett County Sheriff's Office
In a statement, Kroger thanked the police for their assistance but declined to comment further because of the continuing investigation.

Simply_Black

International
International Member
$980,000 within 2 weeks from a supermarket.... I'm guessing the management was selling a bit more than just food and household items... :dunno:

... anyway, niccah got too greedy and flash with his scam... easy come and easy go.... now he'll have to time to reflect in jail.

Mixd

Duppy Maker
BGOL Investor
So this rocket scientist was, while working there and using his cashier log in, was claiming lottery ticket winnings and transferring money to his personal debit card.

Lmfao.

He should of had a tattoo on his forehead "LOOK @ ME"

SVT

Rising Star
Registered
Damn they made the lil move boy a fall guy

still praying for u souf niggas daily in 2K21

55th View

Rising Star
Registered
Returning lotto tickets? How does that work in the first place?

"Yo, these numbers aint no good, based on last night's results. I need to bring these back and pull some new ones. Let me get $87K worth."

Mixd

Duppy Maker
BGOL Investor
Returning lotto tickets? How does that work in the first place?

"Yo, these numbers aint no good, based on last night's results. I need to bring these back and pull some new ones. Let me get $87K worth."
Wording is just off. But he worked in the gas station part of Kroger it says. And I guess "returning people came to cash in their ticket" is what is supposed to be happening.

What I don't understand is I thought lottery winnings over $600 had to go to the state office. But I don't know if a scratch off or something is different. I can't see someone winning $80k and cashing out in a gas station.

Then saying go ahead and put that on my debit card. As if that won't normally raise a red flag.

zod16

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
He's taking the fall for somebody else on this shit. Bank reports any type of transaction above 10K and will do it super fast if you try to structure it (3K, 4k, 3K etc.) In addition to that, they will flag any type of sudden big $ activity especially on the type of checking account a teen working at Kroger has. :smh: :lol:

D24OHA

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
He's taking the fall for somebody else on this shit. Bank reports any type of transaction above 10K and will do it super fast if you try to structure it (3K, 4k, 3K etc.) In addition to that, they will flag any type of sudden big $ activity especially on the type of checking account a teen working at Kroger has. :smh: :lol:

There's no way an $87K transaction is going un noticed...I don't care if the in store compliance officer was there or not. Corporate would've seen that the next day!

Someone is definitely setting him up on that one. Pulling a 'Mo Money, letting him take the fall for the white collar crime as well

APOPHIS

Autodidact / Polymath
Platinum Member

WorldEX

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
There's no way an $87K transaction is going un noticed...I don't care if the in store compliance officer was there or not. Corporate would've seen that the next day!

Someone is definitely setting him up on that one. Pulling a 'Mo Money, letting him take the fall for the white collar crime as well
That was got him in, fat finger error.

MistaPhantastic

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I almost never fully believe stories like this. The news is not a credible source.
I bet there were others doing it as well and the company just laid it all on dude because you know... :hmm:

I know a dude who ran a similar scam back in the early 90s. When they finally caught dude, they tried to pin everything missing from the company on him. He got lucky and had a decent lawyer but he was shocked at how much shit they were trying to lay on him that he didn't do. I asked him "who else did you tell about what you were doing?" Sure enough, he had told a couple of others because it was so clever he couldn't keep it to himself, and they were pinning everybody's shit on him.
A smart dummy.