16-year-old basketball player dies from 100° heat after outdoor conditioning, parents seek answers

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Not with my kids. Plus hydration doesn't start at practice and if your kids are serious about sports they should kick their soda habits. The shit is tragic. However, Parents have more control than they think...

1. hydration continues THRU practice...all this "NO BREAKS AND NO ONE DRINKS UNTIL the slowest one among you completes blah blah blah" is ridiculous and dangerous.

2. it ant that serious. It's a fucking game. building a competitive spirit is one thing... drilling some teenagers like they're going to war only for most of them to end up with jobs sitting in cubicles later in life, is again ridiculous. I defy anyone to tell me how doing 500 burpees in 100-degree heat and direct sunlight positively contributed to them becoming used car salesmen and paralegals by the time they were 30. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

3. coaches caught doing that shit should be arrested and charged with child abuse and manslaughter if death occurs and the school sued so badly instead of Jefferson Highschool it becomes the YOUR NAME HERE Highschool. That would put an end to a lot of that bullshit.

Tiger_Hood

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Coaches are stupid. They try to make Navy Seals out of high school athletes. Forgetting that some Seals dont make it through training.

Parents watch these bum ass coaches. They're are ego driven and don't give a fuck about their players.
It’s like they get off on punishing young athletes!

Confucius

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
My son sprained his ankle Monday during cross country. School calls and asks me to take him to a trainer to see if he needs an ortho visit. They all know I am a Nurse Practitioner but still wanted me to take my son to an unlicensed person. I told them i will determine if he needs to go. They were looking dumb so I bust out and did his assessment right there. I did the anterior and posterior drawer test as well as the Talar Tilt Test. Turns out he has grade 2 posterior tibial sprain...I took him home and treated. On my way out one of the bitches was like you can still take him to see the trainer if you want

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
1. hydration continues THRU practice...all this "NO BREAKS AND NO ONE DRINKS UNTIL the slowest one among you completes blah blah blah" is ridiculous and dangerous.

2. it ant that serious. It's a fucking game. building a competitive spirit is one thing... drilling some teenagers like they're going to war only for most of them to end up with jobs sitting in cubicles later in life, is again ridiculous. I defy anyone to tell me how doing 500 burpees in 100-degree heat and direct sunlight positively contributed to them becoming used car salesmen and paralegals by the time they were 30. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

3. coaches caught doing that shit should be arrested and charged with child abuse and manslaughter if death occurs and the school sued so badly instead of Jefferson Highschool it becomes the YOUR NAME HERE Highschool. That would put an end to a lot of that bullshit.

There’s millions of kids doing the same training, one child died. The child most likely had an undiagnosed medical condition.

Drayonis

Thedogyears.com
BGOL Investor
Coaches are stupid. They try to make Navy Seals out of high school athletes. Forgetting that some Seals dont make it through training.

Parents watch these bum ass coaches. They're are ego driven and don't give a fuck about their players.

100% facts

Drayonis

Thedogyears.com
BGOL Investor
Yup

it's a big difference then how we were raised. At football practice growing up we practiced in the heat and we weren't given water. If someone ask for water they were made fun of.

Times have changed, particularly after Korey Stringer. Those gassers until you pass out days are over.

Someone's ass is gonna fry for this

a1rimrocka

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
it's a big difference then how we were raised. At football practice growing up we practiced in the heat and we weren't given water. If someone ask for water they were made fun of.

Times have changed, particularly after Korey Stringer. Those gassers until you pass out days are over.

School's about to get sued into oblivion

Georgia HS athletics guidelines specifically state "no outdoor workouts" when the temp is above 92

ACTIVITY GUIDELINES AND REST BREAK GUIDELINES

87.0 - 89.9 Maximum practice time is 2 hours. For Football: players are restricted to helmet, shoulder pads, and shorts during practice, and all protective equipment must be removed during conditioning activities. If the WBGT rises to this level during practice, players may continue to work out wearing football pants without changing to shorts.
For All Sports: Provide at least four separater rest breaks each hour with a minimum duration of 4 minutes each.

90.0 - 92.0 Maximum practice time is 1 hour. For Football: no protective equipment may be worn during practice, and there may be no conditioning activities. For All Sports: There must be 20 minutes of rest breaks distributed throughout the hour of practice.

Over 92.0 No outdoor workouts. Delay practice until a cooler WBGT level is reached.

https://www.ghsa.net/sites/default/files/documents/Constitution/Constitution19-20Completecx3.pdf

DJCandle

BGOL Investor

The absolute DUMBEST statement any coach could make. Ego and pride are the sole reason anyone would still subject a kid to this 4th world mentality training. With all we know about sport science and how the body works, no coach/coaches with an 1/8th of an education should be engaging in this bs.

Makes me sick.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

AILING A representative for ”Blue Streak” star Martin Lawrence has revealed that the actor is in critical condition in an L.A. area hospital, having recently emerged from a three-day coma. The comedian collapsed while jogging on Sunday. Lawrence, in an attempt to lose weight for an upcoming movie role, had put on several layers of clothing to ”sweat off” the pounds and subsequently suffered heat stroke. When he arrived at the Los Robles Medical Center in Thousand Oaks, Calif., Lawrence clocked in with a 107 degree body temperature.

https://ew.com/article/1999/08/25/martin-lawrence-emerges-coma-after-heat-stroke/

ORIGINAL NATION

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
not necessarily.
For students that are not used to working or running in heat it is different. The others just probably escaped until she fell first. We have become use to the things whites are use to because it is true that originally we could jog or run in temps around 121 with no problem. But if you are not used to certain things you got to work your way up to being used to certain things.
I do not believe in the white education system but there has been a lot of changes within us before we were ever allowed certain nutrition and things like this. If I had been there they may have gotten mad at me because I would have been trying to do mouth to mouth resuscitation, I might would have even tried to shock her to try to make her heart and breathing start back. It is kind of hard to believe they could not have got her back to breathing if she was just overheated. And there had to be signs that she was overheating and pushing her health. Actually you will try to cool off and sit down on your own regardless of what anybody say.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
For students that are not used to working or running in heat it is different. The others just probably escaped until she fell first. We have become use to the things whites are use to because it is true that originally we could jog or run in temps around 121 with no problem. But if you are not used to certain things you got to work your way up to being used to certain things.
I do not believe in the white education system but there has been a lot of changes within us before we were ever allowed certain nutrition and things like this. If I had been there they may have gotten mad at me because I would have been trying to do mouth to mouth resuscitation, I might would have even tried to shock her to try to make her heart and breathing start back. It is kind of hard to believe they could not have got her back to breathing if she was just overheated. And there had to be signs that she was overheating and pushing her health. Actually you will try to cool off and sit down on your own regardless of what anybody say.

you'd be surprised what peer pressure does to people, especially in school.

Quek9

K9
BGOL Investor

cosign.

militantmidget

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

What's crazy is the coaches themselves wouldn't do none of these ridiculous workouts in the extreme heat. They'd be like "hell naw, it's too damn hot for all that".

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
I get what coaches are doing

They place water as a reward and they think it will create better practices, which produces a better product on the field

You can do that in 80 degree weather.

Not 100. There's a big difference.

And like @Quek9 was saying you have to also make sure you are hydrated prior to practice. That's where it begins.

but as a coach you can't take that chance. In 100 degree weather they have heat advisories. They aren't paid for that shit, they're children with no say.

ORIGINAL NATION

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
you'd be surprised what peer pressure does to people, especially in school.
She had made the team so she had to be in pretty good condition. That is what made it seem strange to me. Like maybe it was an order being filled for organs. I hate it happened.

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Same thing happen with my old college basketball coach. When I heard that a player died under him, I wasn’t a bit surprised. That mofo was insane with his conditioning drills.