► ONGOING Food / Health / Fitness thread - information / links / pics / podcasts / articles / recipes = a shitload of stuff 2 read / watch / reference

Lehigh

Rising Star
Registered
Good looks. I just picked up the Flavor Bible by Karen Paige and Andrew Durenberg . It works for all skill levels.

For the winter orecchiette pasta with caramelized turkey ,sausage, broccoli and peas.

sammyjax

Grand Puba of Science
Platinum Member
What's everyone cooking of late? Any key go-to meals?
i've been steaming every damn thing.

been trying to do veggies and drop another waist size before xmas. steamed cabbage and broccoli be holing me the fuck down.

quarter and core awhole head of cabbage, throw that bitch in the steamer. let a little butter melt down in them bitches and put some Tony Chachere's on there? man sheeid.

broccoli i just put a big ass crown in there and a little butter on it too when it comes out (a little!) and eat that whole bitch.

filling as hell and tasty. y'ass gon be shooting off though.

dHustla

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I stocked up on Mauruchan soup :hmm:

Sammy, what you use to cook em? I wanna try to cook some cabbage.
You got a steamer or just a big 2 part collard green pot, one solid and the other with the holes in the bottom and it fit inside the solid one?

I ain't got patience, I be coming & getting on here, watching youtube, etc. I swear I done burnt water before

sherminator

They hate to see us wiiiiinnnniiinnng
Registered

been trying to do veggies and drop another waist size before xmas. steamed cabbage and broccoli be holing me the fuck down.

quarter and core awhole head of cabbage, throw that bitch in the steamer. let a little butter melt down in them bitches and put some Tony Chachere's on there? man sheeid.

broccoli i just put a big ass crown in there and a little butter on it too when it comes out (a little!) and eat that whole bitch.

I sauté my cabbage, with olive oil, and the oil from girdinare (sp) to give it a kick sometimes I add very teriyaki

But I will be back to add some more

dHustla

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I sauté my cabbage, with olive oil, and the oil from girdinare (sp) to give it a kick sometimes I add very teriyaki

BRUH! You gotta give more details than that!

I know yo big ass be eatin' goot as a mug :lol:

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member

Say fam try that "Slap Ya Mama" that shut blow Tony Chachere out the water(for me less of a salt taste, I try not to fux with salt/sodium as much as possible...should I say limit it)

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member

Man I sauté damn near every meat I cook... Fish(redfish, drum, cod, flounder, salmon & tilapia(slacked off of this), chicken thighs fux when I do a steak I coat it with EVOO, over onions, garlic & bell pepper & seasoning....that's a wrap

Rarely rarely bake anything, I don't deep fry nothing...

Shit I use the oven to warm food....no microwave

sammyjax

Grand Puba of Science
Platinum Member
I stocked up on Mauruchan soup :hmm:

Sammy, what you use to cook em? I wanna try to cook some cabbage.
You got a steamer or just a big 2 part collard green pot, one solid and the other with the holes in the bottom and it fit inside the solid one?

I ain't got patience, I be coming & getting on here, watching youtube, etc. I swear I done burnt water before
i got the double junt

man its mindless as fuck steaming shit

but you dont want that shit burling all the way out. just make sure its water in there til it's over.

and man, steamed fish? niiii-GGA.

Say fam try that "Slap Ya Mama" that shut blow Tony Chachere out the water(for me less of a salt taste, I try not to fux with salt/sodium as much as possible...should I say limit it)
word? man i gotta try that shit out.

water

Transparent, tasteless, odorless
OG Investor

:yes::yes::yes:

I have raw kale salad every night a side :D

Be putting these young uns to shame

:D

water

OG Investor
Man I sauté damn near every meat I cook... Fish(redfish, drum, cod, flounder, salmon & tilapia(slacked off of this), chicken thighs fux when I do a steak I coat it with EVOO, over onions, garlic & bell pepper & seasoning....that's a wrap

This dude :yes:

I steam all seafood, no frying

My weekly diet looks like this:

I eat most of my veggie raw: kale, broccholi, cauliflower
steam: baby bok choy
sautee: chard

wild rice or brown rice

beet root every week

yams: chayote, yuca, japanese sweet potatoes, eddoes, taro

fruit: papaya, mangoes, mandarin, oranges, banana

:cool:

dHustla

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Fah real, what yo grocery bill look like? Cuz I recognize the name of some of the stuff you listed from when I go to the farmer's market.

I just get salmon, spinach, zucchini, and squash...maybe a coconut & other lil stuff and it's easy for me to spend $50-$70 every 3-4 days.

I'ma get some Cod next time I go.

How y'all steam seafood? :confused: I broil my salmon for 'bout 9-11 minutes in the oven.

water

OG Investor
Fah real, what yo grocery bill look like? Cuz I recognize the name of some of the stuff you listed from when I go to the farmer's market.

I just get salmon, spinach, zucchini, and squash...maybe a coconut & other lil stuff and it's easy for me to spend $50-$70 every 3-4 days.

I'ma get some Cod next time I go.

How y'all steam seafood? :confused: I broil my salmon for 'bout 9-11 minutes in the oven.

I don't really know what my bill is, I just buy food and eat to live to make more money.

I go to the spanish market or asian market.

Those mofos work low paid jobs and they have to eat (mostly tropical food) so I shop where they shop since they import shit from their countries anyway.

It's like they get a batch from the same place whole foods get theirs from.

veggies for the week will run $20

For steaming seafood:

I put 1 teaspoon of olive oil, heat that up and add fresh minced garlic for about 30 secs. Then I add a bed of sliced onions, put the fish on top of that, add another bed of onions and then slices of tomato.
Add 2 table spoon of water (the tomatoes and onions will release their own liquid as well).

Bring to a boil and then turn it down medium for 5 mins.

I add some cayenne and black pepper (anti-inflammatory).

Done.

Goingmark40

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
good tips in here to add to my list. definitely gonna add those steamed cabbages to the list.i mostly grill all the meat i cook.and season them up with cavenders seasoning.like tony cacheres but that lil kick in it gets my wife and son sometimes. put onions in everything i can get em in.green onions are the best since we reuse em. cut em to the white tip put the roots in a lil shallow cup of water on the kitchen window sill and watch em grow.

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor
What's everyone cooking of late? Any key go-to meals?

Vegetarian Fajitas

One green pepper
One red pepper
One onion
one cup of chillies
2 tsb sesame oil
One dash Lowry's
2 dashes cayenne pepper
1 can refried beans
one pack whole wheat tortillas
1 vegetarian chorizo (optional)
sour cream (optional)

chop the peppers and onions and put into a slow cooker. drain the chillies and add as well. add oil, Lowry's and spices to the cookers. Stir, cover and turn on for 2 hrs on high or 5 hours on low

Once cooked, heat the beans and chorizo in a frying pan. Scoop the beans and the peppers separately onto the tortillas. roll like a fat blunt. Dip into the sour cream if you like your food fattening.

mmmm......

water

OG Investor
good tips in here to add to my list. definitely gonna add those steamed cabbages to the list.i mostly grill all the meat i cook.and season them up with cavenders seasoning.like tony cacheres but that lil kick in it gets my wife and son sometimes. put onions in everything i can get em in.green onions are the best since we reuse em. cut em to the white tip put the roots in a lil shallow cup of water on the kitchen window sill and watch em grow.

Stay away from grilling Bro.

Meat at high temp releases carcinogens.

Use citrus to reduce carcinogens of you have to grill

But know that you are putting cancer causing agents inti your body with the grilling.

Live accordingly

:cool:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Man I sauté damn near every meat I cook... Fish(redfish, drum, cod, flounder, salmon & tilapia(slacked off of this),

:eek: do you bread or flour it first...doesn't get dry?

chicken thighs fux

when I do a steak I coat it with EVOO, over onions, garlic & bell pepper & seasoning....that's a wrap

:eek:

i need the recipe doesn't get fry????

i got to do this!!!!

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I don't really know what my bill is, I just buy food and eat to live to make more money.

I go to the spanish market or asian market.

Those mofos work low paid jobs and they have to eat (mostly tropical food) so I shop where they shop since they import shit from their countries anyway.

It's like they get a batch from the same place whole foods get theirs from.

veggies for the week will run $20

For steaming seafood:

I put 1 teaspoon of olive oil, heat that up and add fresh minced garlic for about 30 secs. Then I add a bed of sliced onions, put the fish on top of that, add another bed of onions and then slices of tomato.
Add 2 table spoon of water (the tomatoes and onions will release their own liquid as well).

Bring to a boil and then turn it down medium for 5 mins.

I add some cayenne and black pepper (anti-inflammatory).

Done.

:dance:

question: you cover it when you turn it down right?

DjMorpheus

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Not up on steaming but I use the CrockPot a lot. Current fave chicken recipe I came up with is CHipotle chicken. Good with whole chicken or parts. Its just

Lawry's Season Salt

Weber's Chipotle

Rosemary Garlic

You can season it and drop right in the pot or wrap tight in foil and put in fridge for a day or 2 and then cook it. It's good either way.

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
do you bread or flour it first...doesn't get dry?

i need the recipe doesn't get fry????

Hell naw, no breading or flouring then that would be close to a "shake and bake" or " fried" type of dish

i got to do this!!!!

It don't matter what ever meat I'm cooking this is close to the process...

Normally this brand(but I've been try different kinds lately, currently using grapeseed oil)
Olive-oil-r3.jpg

(Locally we buy this, already chopped up.
Last night i picked one up, looked at the price $3.36, then realized I could buy the shit and chopped it myself and have two containers full!!!
Matter in fact I'm take a pic of that shit, just to keep it 8 more than 92 :lol:
4173900100_full.jpg

(Top chefs often call this the trinity, this how it look out the container)
image_m.jpg

(When you do it your self)
IMG_7317.JPG

Just to give you a idea of the what I'm talking about...
Didn't find any photos with the seasoning in the skillet..

Fish-in-Pan.jpg

kona_kampachi_cognac_cream_sauce-4.jpg

image_m.jpg

image_m.jpg

(This how my shrimp look, green peppers instead if red)
lPqwIb0Q9kvFqetPELmMgAfdaDWlF6ULwKgme3d-XOCxwb2ijNRL3S6zJiAyHubsU6DPCKc9ezPgZ9yFL-Pp5PU=s480-c-e365

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Good discussion thread, everyone. Right on re: the fajitas, soups, stews, chili and various cooking methods (baking, sauteing, steaming, stir-frying, etc).

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Some of my go-to's in recent years =

- Baked chicken or fish
- Soups
- Fajitas & wraps
- Omelettes or scrambled medleys
- Trying to increase the oatmeal or steel cut oats intake (older fam' members have always encouraged it)
- Pops is smart about veggie intake. Have a meal with that cat and he'll just bake up a tray of veggies (onions, carrots, sweet potato & regular potato, red peppers, etc) ... always cook enough to have plenty for leftovers and follow-up meals ...

Last edited:

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Did up a baked fish dish yesterday. Added diced onions & lemon pepper to the mix.

Also chopped up a bunch of carrots, green peppers, and tomatoes to have on-hand in the fridge.

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
Did up a baked fish dish yesterday. Added diced onions & lemon pepper to the mix.

Also chopped up a bunch of carrots, green peppers, and tomatoes to have on-hand in the fridge.

:lol: right on time guess what I'm bout to do lmao

I just finished peeling and deveining some good ole BP oil spill shrimp

Bout to chop up this shit...

image_m.jpg

Edit: garlic in the fridge, been fucking with that hard lately...garlic in everything

Last edited:

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
:lol: right on time guess what I'm bout to do lmao

I just finished peeling and deveining some good ole BP oil spill shrimp

Bout to chop up this shit...

image_m.jpg

Edit: garlic in the fridge, been fucking with that hard lately...garlic in everything

Right on, fam'. Good mix of items there & props on the garlic for the health benefits. Fam' members used to make fun of my grandpa for using garlic in many of his meals and he'd look at them like what's your fuckin' problem ... it's good for me! Mind your business! Miss that cat.

:D:lol:

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Picked up groceries today ...

- Navel oranges
- Green onions
- Red onions
- Bananas
- Sole
- Tomatoes on the vine
- Chicken & veggie dumplings