‘Birds of Prey’ Adds Jurnee Smollett-Bell and Mary Elizabeth Winstead as Black Canary and Huntress

Gemini

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
CAC will rage again lol

‘Birds of Prey’ Adds Jurnee Smollett-Bell and Mary Elizabeth Winstead as Black Canary and Huntress
DoCoI9UUYAAeTIs.jpg

After testing multiple actresses to joinMargot Robbie’s Harley Quinn in “Birds of Prey,” Warner Bros. and DC Entertainment are closer to assembling its team of female superheroes.

Sources tellVarietythatMary Elizabeth WinsteadandJurnee Smollett-Bellhave been tapped to join Robbie in the comic-book spinoff, with Winstead playing Huntress and Smollett-Bell portraying Black Canary.

Robbie is reprising her role as Quinn, which she first unveiled in 2016’s “Suicide Squad,” and is also on board to produce with Sue Kroll and Bryan Unkeless.

There are several versions of Huntress, aka Helena Bertinelli, throughout DC Comics. The “Birds of Prey” iteration is a former mafia princess who was devastated at a young age when her family was killed in a mob hit, turning her into a vigilante and eventually leading her to join the Birds of Prey team. Black Canary, aka Dinah Lance, is a good-natured and idealistic streetfighter in the comics.

In the film, the team will fight a Gotham crime lord who has yet to be unveiled.

Cathy Yan is directing the pic, which is set to bereleased on Feb. 7, 2020.

Winstead’s star has been on the rise since her leading role in the Bad Robot movie “10 Cloverfield Lane.” She recently earned some of the best reviews of her career in the FX series “Fargo.” Winstead just wrapped “Gemini Man,” opposite Will Smith, and also has “The Parts You Lose.” She is repped by WME.

Smollett-Bell is best known for her starring roles on major TV shows like “True Blood” and “Underground.” She has landed the highly coveted role in J.J. Abrams and Jordan Peele’s upcoming HBO series “Lovecraft Country.” Smollett-Bell is repped by ICM Partners and Management 360.

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/...ead-1202958570/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

"THE MAN"

Resident Cool Nerd
BGOL Investor
my argument would be the same though... it's not a race thing it's a true to the character thing.... it would be the same way if they made luke cage or black panther white.
But Black Canary is not defined by being white like those guys are defined by being black. Huntress being black would be a problem since fighting other Italian crime families is in her backstory.

Adam Knows

YouTube: Adam Knows
Platinum Member
But Black Canary is not defined by being white like those guys are defined by being black. Huntress being black would be a problem since fighting other Italian crime families is in her backstory.

black canary has been a brunette hiding as a blonde since the 70's...no actually the '40's

"THE MAN"

Resident Cool Nerd
BGOL Investor
black canary has been a brunette hiding as a blonde since the 70's...no actually the '40's

adjective
  1. (of hair, eyes, skin, etc.) of a dark color or tone.
  2. (of a person) having dark hair and, often, dark eyes and darkish or olive skin.

ThaBurgerPimp

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
At this point they may as well call these movies "The BATMAN Universe" cause every one of these films coming out(with the exception of Wonder Woman 84) has a connection to the character..

Suicide Squad 2
The TWO Joker films :rolleyes:
Birds of Prey
Nightwing
Harley Quinn solo movie
Batgirl solo movie

Henry Cavill and Ben Affleck should be glad they got out when they did..

Drayonis

Thedogyears.com
BGOL Investor
actually since the 40's

you would if luke cage was white. remember race has to be integral to the character, according to you.

Honestly I wouldn't. Wouldn't bother me a bit. Black Panther? Yes he's an African King and his race is intertwined with his character, it's "integral to his character". Luke Cage can be any white dude of they wanted to.

ansatsusha_gouki

Land of the Heartless
Platinum Member
my argument would be the same though... it's not a race thing it's a true to the character thing.... it would be the same way if they made luke cage or black panther white.

White people tells us all the time to get over it everytime they portray ancient Egyptians in movies yet they throw a fit when a black person plays one of their white fictious characters.....lol

Hell,just last year,you had a white man portray Michael Jackson....I dont want to hear this bullshit from white people.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Ewan McGregor joins Margot Robbie in DC's Birds of Prey as villain

November 01, 2018 at 05:08 PM EDT
Warner Bros. found a villain formidable enough to go up against the likes of Margot Robbie, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, and Jurnee Smollett-Bell. Ewan McGregor now joins the growing cast of Birds of Prey, the female-fronted DC comic book movie, as villain Black Mask, EW has learned.

The character, also known as Roman Sionus in the comics, was the son of a wealthy family who killed his parents and took control of their business. He wasn’t a great businessman, though, and his career took a nosedive. Unwilling to accept responsibility for his own actions, Roman, with a bit of a mask obsession, would take a piece of his father’s grave and craft it into a black mask (hence the name). He would go on to lead the gang called the False Face Society of Gotham.

Black Mask appeared across DC’s animated offerings, like The Batman series and Batman: The Brave and the Bold. Actor Todd Stashwick also played Richard Sionis, a version of the villain, on Fox’s Gotham episode “The Mask.”

McGregor recently played the title role in Disney’s live-action Christopher Robinand he’s set to play adult Danny Torrance in Doctor Sleep, a sequel to Stephen King’s The Shining.

Birds of Prey, directed by Cathy Yan, sees Robbie reprising her Harley Quinn role after Suicide Squad. Reports place Winstead in the role of Huntress, Smollett-Bell as Black Canary, and Rosie Perez as Renee Montoya (a.k.a. The Question).

According to Deadline, Yan said during the U.S.-China Entertainment Summit that the film will also feature “a half-Asian character,” reportedly Cassandra Cain (a future Batgirl).

ADVERTISING
inRead invented by Teads
“I could not put the script down, it had so much dark humor to it which a lot of my work does, and there are themes of female empowerment which are so strong and relatable,” she said. “So I went in with, not with confidence, but at least a sense that I belonged in the room, that somehow magically in terms of timing and luck that this opportunity was open to me and I was definitely going to make the best of it.”

The film is currently set for release on Feb. 7, 2020.

The Plutonian

The Anti Bullshitter
BGOL Investor
Honkies always crying foul but let’s not forget their raping, theiving and pillaging asses! Fugggg themmm!!!

Last edited: