Need Recommendation for Drone

jagu

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I'd like to get a good Drone for taking Aerial pictures. My friend took a picture and aerial video of my construction project and I was hooked but his stuff looked a little blurry.
He is using the DJI magic mini.
So, what is the best Drone for around $800 that will take a clear video and pictures?

CoTtOnMoUf

DUMBED DOWN TO BLEND IN
BGOL Legend
I don't know about 800, but if you can

afford the DJI Mavic 2 Pro, it takes

phenomenal HD pics and vids.

61j4acmknmL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

jagu

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Thanks, I need to stay under $1000 so I will look at the DJI Mavic 2 Zoom . It's $1249 on Dell.com and I get $200 back plus 10% off.

MistaPhantastic

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Thanks, I need to stay under $1000 so I will look at the DJI Mavic 2 Zoom . It's $1249 on Dell.com and I get $200 back plus 10% off.
The difference between the Zoom and the Pro is the Pro has a 1 inch sensor. That's going to make a significant difference in picture quality. If you are going to be using it for professional projects, the extra few bucks you pay on the Pro will more than make up for it.
I've had to break my ceiling for gear before as well but sometimes its worth it to drop the paper and not skimp on quality.
TBH, both of them are good. It really depends on your usage.
Maybe look for a used one? A used Phantom 4 is also pretty good but it has a bigger footprint and is not quite on par with the Mavic 2 Pro, IMO.
Plus, I think it costs more but it does come with a screen on the controller, whereas you have to use your phone with the Mavic.

Tito_Jackson

Truth Teller
Registered
I have a Zoom. I have taken several real estate videos and photos. I have also taken my drone to several countries. There are pros and cons to the Zoom and the Pro 2. Since I take my drone on trips, I like being able to be far away from my point if focus. Drones are kinda loud and people are distracted easily when they hear it. I can fly my Zoom and people not even know I'm there. You will notice the biggest difference in video and picture quality in low light. In the daylight at 4K most can't tell the difference. The pro 2 photos will always be slightly better though.

But, you can fix most in post editing and most people can't tell the difference. I bought a Pro 2 camera from Amazon two months ago so I could have the option to up the quality when or if I needed to. It takes about thirty minutes to switch the cameras. But, the OS reads the camera automatically when its installed and turned on.

Hope this helps.

spider705

Light skin, non ADOS Lebron hater!
BGOL Investor
I currently have a phantom 3 standard and I'm looking at upgrade. You can't swap cameras on it, so I'm stuck with what I have. These new ones though, still a little too rich for my blood.

If I can wait a little while longer and find one used around the $500-600 mark I'll jump on it. Until then I'll make due with what I have.

I'm looking into fpv goggles for drone flying... I'm going to start REALLY small with a cheap but highly rated unit then work my way to building my own drone and racing.

head214

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Other thing to take into mind is licensing. Depending on your state. You may not be able to fly it over a certain size without a license. With that Mavic Mini, you can fly it all over the place except for restricted fly zones without any real issues. Those citations ain't no joke.
@spider705 lot’s of quality units on letgo and offerup. Some pretty legit sellers on there.

rebel

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I got a Mavic air and aerial shots are good. granted I'm not trying to take pics from 400m up. blurry pics is common if the drone aint stable due to wind or you're manuevering while trying to take a pic.

ZUPee30.jpg

Last edited:

jagu

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I got a Mavic air and aerial shots are good. granted I'm not trying to take pics from 400m up. blurry pics is common if the drone aint stable due to wind or you're manuevering while trying to take a pic.

ZUPee30.jpg
Wow, this is all I need right here. I see that it's now called Mavic Air 2 and it's $799.

rebel

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
but you need to get the kit with it . extra battery , propellers ... ,
has that dropped yet? their autonomous flying and avoidance seem dope but how tested / proven is it? I feel nervous with some of the active tracking features DJI has unless I'm in an open space.

jagu

Rising Star
Platinum Member
has that dropped yet? their autonomous flying and avoidance seem dope but how tested / proven is it? I feel nervous with some of the active tracking features DJI has unless I'm in an open space.
Take a look at the YouTube video of the skydio 2.

Fright Night

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Are any better/easier to fly than others? As a beginner I wanna focus on flying first and camera 2nd.....for now.

Coldchi

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
im surprised people werent using drones to film some of this police brutality going in during these protests.

EGO-TRIP

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
DJI is one of the better companies out there . Unless you want to put out for Flir. I think DJI just lost a copyright suit and might have to pull products off market .

jagu

Rising Star
Platinum Member
im surprised people werent using drones to film some of this police brutality going in during these protests.
You can hardly see what they're doing from an aerial view. You need an eye-level view for that. My new house camera will be all eye-level view not that roof level bullshit that everybody does.

Tito_Jackson

Truth Teller
Registered
The avoidance features are top notch. Most people crash because they disable them. It has other safety features as well. There is a feature that automatically sends the drone back to the "start point" if the signal is lost. When I was in Trinadad, that happened to me. I was on this deserted beach filming. I started flying down the coast so far I couldn't see the drone. It was cool because you get used to looking at the phone. BUT, all of a sudden I lost the signal. I damn near shit bricks. I'm thinking, damn $1200 gon just like that. So, I am sitting on the beach looking pathetic, next thing I know, I hear the drone above my head landing. Man, I was so f'in happy. I packed my stuff and headed straight to the hotel. I was done with the drone for the day. Lol!!

Last edited:

nestlenupe

Star
BGOL Investor
I got the DJI Spark bundle for my birthday a few years ago as a starter drone. I love it and have no complaints. The camera is excellent for what I need and I'd like to upgrade but I'm trying to justify the reason to do so if I don't have to. My brother in law has had everything from the Phantom to the Mavic Pro and he upgrades every time a new one comes out for the "new technology". My Spark does a lot of the things his does besides the extended battery life (I keep 3 on deck) and flight distance (which I don't have a dire need for); you don't want to fly further than you can visually see it anyway. I was asked to work a pool party last Summer and captured some amazing footage. I believe they came with the Mavic Mini to compete or replace the Spark. I would also suggest you check the video reviews for different models on Youtube. There was a really good one where a guy compared the Spark and the Mavic and for the $1000 difference the Spark held it's own and has some features that the other models don't (or didn't) have like the lock on recording where you set it to lock on a subject and it will follow it without you controlling it.