Coronavirus math says 1.4 million Americans will die this year? Or am I missing something

babygwirl18

Rising Star
Registered
Just read an article from the top epidemiologist at Harvard, who along with 2 other scientists say that 40-70% of the worlds population will “likely” get Covid this year.

If they’re right, and there is a 1% death rate in the disease. Doesn’t that mean that 1.4 million Americans will die?

My math is 40% (the low estimate) times 350 million Americans times 1 percent. I realize that the death rate may be lower, but so far that’s what the numbers tell us.

If this is true, why any anyone sounding the alarm?

Princenubian

Rising Star
Registered
Just read an article from the top epidemiologist at Harvard, who along with 2 other scientists say that 40-70% of the worlds population will “likely” get Covid this year.

If they’re right, and there is a 1% death rate in the disease. Doesn’t that mean that 1.4 million Americans will die?

My math is 40% (the low estimate) times 350 million Americans times 1 percent. I realize that the death rate may be lower, but so far that’s what the numbers tell us.

I hear those numbers being tossed around as well. There is no way in hell that many people will die by the end of the year of COVID-19.
Wait till you read the article about the shortages that will eventually hit...

That’s about right provided there’s no mitigation.

Influenza(flu) has a mortality rate of about 0.1% and Covid-19 is 10X more lethal w a mortality rate of 1%.

Here in NY they talk of flattening the curve which is merely slowing the spread of the virus.

If this can be done the hospital system won’t be overwhelmed which means better treatment and time to test therapeutics.

We still haven’t gotten any concrete data on reinfection. If there is reinfection we’re screwed. So far no evidence there is.

Vaccines are too far away to help. By mid April the next chapter will be written. Happy ending vs horror story. We’ll see.

Carry on......

Louis Koo

Star
BGOL Investor
based on the slow state by state quarantine, the number is going to be exponentially higher.

also, how the fuck did rural areas get it?

zod16

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Normalcy bias is why most people still aren't panicked yet. The idea of a virus more contagious than the flu and also 10X more lethal sounds like a movie instead of real life. I also think that most people in the US don't understand how shitty our overall healthcare setup is compared to other countries...

Deezz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Normalcy bias is why most people still aren't panicked yet. The idea of a virus more contagious than the flu and also 10X more lethal sounds like a movie instead of real life. I also think that most people in the US don't understand how shitty our overall healthcare setup is compared to other countries...
This....

We all know how serious this is, but when I go to the grocery store, everyone is right up on each other and the cashiers don't have any protection on.
The image below really sums it up for me.

90521700_10151418389819949_3163208306441322496_n.jpg

zod16

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This....

We all know how serious this is, but when I go to the grocery store, everyone is right up on each other and the cashiers don't have any protection on.
The image below really sums it up for me.

90521700_10151418389819949_3163208306441322496_n.jpg

My wife thought I was overreacting until a few weeks ago when I showed her the number of flu deaths and explained that we don't have a vaccine or any therapeutic for this shit and it is 10x more lethal. We should have more deaths from this than from 9/11 by Monday but we still have a good 40% of the country calling it the "flu".

EUP2IEPWoAc21Cw

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
That mumbo sauce from the Chinese restaurant will prob kill most of dc.. Enjoy your chicken wings and French fries
Hey man, dont lash out at me.. This is what im hearing on my TV from various state governors and New Yorks very own, Donald J Trump. Dont shoot the messenger brother.
speaking of rat holes let's talk about dc
Did you see who ranked ahead of The District? :lol:

Last edited:

BrownTurd

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

It depends on a few factors. The more people who get the virus and recover, the less transmissions you will have.

ansatsusha_gouki

Land of the Heartless
Platinum Member
My wife thought I was overreacting until a few weeks ago when I showed her the number of flu deaths and explained that we don't have a vaccine or any therapeutic for this shit and it is 10x more lethal. We should have more deaths from this than from 9/11 by Monday but we still have a good 40% of the country calling it the "flu".

EUP2IEPWoAc21Cw

I just shake my head when people see all this death and act like it's no big deal..And then want to look at you like you're the crazy one....

:smh: :smh: :smh: :smh:

Famous1

Rising Star
Platinum Member

You don't watch the news do you?

Walter Panov

Rising Star
Registered

This is from Feb 15 and the epidemiologist was pulling numbers out his ass. There's no math behind this. Having said that, yes its possible for 1.4 million Americans to die eventually from covid19. The virus is not going away this year.

kirkout

DCPG
BGOL Investor
That mumbo sauce from the Chinese restaurant will prob kill most of dc.. Enjoy your chicken wings and French fries
Go head, man. Lol.
I just shake my head when people see all this death and act like it's no big deal..And then want to look at you like you're the crazy one....

:smh: :smh: :smh: :smh:
I had a conversation with this white guy working at a store yesterday, with my mask on. I asked him if he was keeping up with the virus in the county we live in. He was like, “I don’t keep up with it and I am not on social media”. Then he was like, “if you going to get it, you’re going to get it”. Then he said, “it’s just like the flu and 18,000 people die each year from the flu and nobody wants to talk about that” (by this time my mouth was agape under my mask). Then he said, “80% of the people who get it will have mild symptoms”. I was floored with what he just said. I just shook my head and told him to be safe.

Apparently, he was still listening to that right-wing propaganda bullshit. That bullshit is going to get people killed. Smh.

What worries me is that these type ignorant people are stubborn with their brand of bullshit.They’re in a high risk situation and if they come in contact with it and get it, then they will unwittingly infect other people, because they maybe asymptomatic. You really have to protect yourself from the ignorance that is out here about this virus figuratively and literally.

babydaddy

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Go head, man. Lol.

I had a conversation with this white guy working at a store yesterday, with my mask on. I asked him if he was keeping up with the virus in the county we live in. He was like, “I don’t keep up with it and I am not on social media”. Then he was like, “if you going to get it, you’re going to get it”. Then he said, “it’s just like the flu and 18,000 people die each year from the flu and nobody wants to talk about that” (by this time my mouth was agape under my mask). Then he said, “80% of the people who get it will have mild symptoms”. I was floored with what he just said. I just shook my head and told him to be safe.

Apparently, he was still listening to that right-wing propaganda bullshit. That bullshit is going to get people killed. Smh.

What worries me is that these type ignorant people are stubborn with their brand of bullshit.They’re in a high risk situation and if they come in contact with it and get it, then they will unwittingly infect other people, because they maybe asymptomatic. You really have to protect yourself from the ignorance that is out here about this virus figuratively and literally.
My landlord sounds just like this guy you was talking to. He is a white in his 60's said CV19 was overhyped and it is just flu.

PussyMan

Rising Star
OG Investor

BigDaddyBuk

still not dizzy.
Platinum Member
Three months into this pandemic, scientists are coming to understand the novel coronavirus. They know, for example, that as horrible as this virus is, it is not the worst, most apocalyptic virus imaginable. Covid-19, the disease caused by the virus, is not as contagious as measles, and although it is very dangerous, it is not as likely to kill an infected person as, say, Ebola.

BigDaddyBuk

still not dizzy.
Platinum Member
Three months into this pandemic, scientists are coming to understand the novel coronavirus. They know, for example, that as horrible as this virus is, it is not the worst, most apocalyptic virus imaginable. Covid-19, the disease caused by the virus, is not as contagious as measles, and although it is very dangerous, it is not as likely to kill an infected person as, say, Ebola.

And the entire population WONT be infected by this virus.

Right now with roughly 125000 known infections in the US there are about 2250 deaths.

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
And the entire population WONT be infected by this virus.

Right now with roughly 125000 known infections in the US there are about 2250 deaths.
125,000 infections in 4 months with a population of 330+ million people... That's not even 33 percent of 1 percent... This is the number people really need to understand... Not even half of 1 percent of Americans are affected by this.. That is literally laughed at by the plague gods... Corona couldn't even sit at the baby chair of plagues.. Flu even looking at corona like "seats taken" when corona tried to sit down next to him

slewdem100

Rising Star
OG Investor

Honestly, I think the state of our healthcare system will be a contributing factor to most of the deaths....not enough equipment to test etc....I also think underestimating the shit at the beginning helped to spread it....people in power scared to shut down shit that they had to shutdown weeks later any way

South Korea seems to have a handle on it....Germany too....China seems to have gotten past the worst if their numbers are to be trusted....Japan's situation is just weird to me (are the numbers really that low or are they just not testing)...are we more similar to South Korea/ Germany or are we more similar to Italy/ Spain?....lots of countries getting exposed for not being ready for something that everybody knew was gonna happen one day....only difference is, most of these countries don't go around saying they are the greatest country on Earth...greed is the underlying factor behind the crisis that is happening here in the USA...the means to deal with COVID 19 are certainly here

slewdem100

Rising Star
OG Investor
125,000 infections in 4 months with a population of 330+ million people... That's not even 33 percent of 1 percent... This is the number people really need to understand... Not even half of 1 percent of Americans are affected by this.. That is literally laughed at by the plague gods... Corona couldn't even sit at the baby chair of plagues.. Flu even looking at corona like "seats taken" when corona tried to sit down next to him
That number is increasing fast even with tons of people self quarantining...flu shouldn't diss corona just yet

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
That number is increasing fast even with tons of people self quarantining...flu shouldn't diss corona just yet
Flu usually has more victims in less time and more casualities.. Flu game so great it made millions worldwide take a shot every yr juss so they won't see them hands

Flu: my name is legendary in these streets..respek my gangsta partner