<<{{Official 2019-2020 NBA Thread - the season returns July 31-October 12. }}>

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
Lakers v Rockets...Just watched a 2 on 1 and the defender picks up the shooter...and dude pulls up for a 3?

Wtf kinda ball is that?
And niggas talk about how the game is so much better and evolving?

:hmm:

trrhSL.jpg

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I enjoy the nerds talking about it though.
I know some numbers make sense. I understand wanting to get a higher understanding of the numbers.
DON'T BUILD A TEAM AROUND IT.
Use the "metrics" to put the players you HAVE in the best position to win.
Cause a cat will argue with me about how efficient and how any shot that results in points even if its a miss and you get free throws is good
and then I'll point to lack of ball movement and how said team never wins when it counts.

D’antoni’s high on analyticsbut he has no championships, that’s all that needs to be said.

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I enjoy the nerds talking about it though.
I know some numbers make sense. I understand wanting to get a higher understanding of the numbers.
DON'T BUILD A TEAM AROUND IT.
Use the "metrics" to put the players you HAVE in the best position to win.
Cause a cat will argue with me about how efficient and how any shot that results in points even if its a miss and you get free throws is good
and then I'll point to lack of ball movement and how said team never wins when it counts.

Analytics does not account for bad habits, which can be detrimental deep in the playoffs. You suppose to fix the bad habits during the season so they don’t affect you late.

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
Analytics does not account for bad habits, which can be detrimental deep in the playoffs. You suppose to fix the bad habits during the season so they don’t affect you late.

Put your players in the position to win.
You can't tell me People not named Steph or Klay's 3 is a better shot than Lebron's/Ad's/Kawhi/Greek's 2's are
no matter how long you write out the equation.

Llano

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Rockets got too many holes & it's starting to show. The bench is utter garbage, they have no good perimeter defenders, Dantoni's short rotation is a problem, they have no length outside of Capela & they don't have shooters for the style they want to run.

Rockets are a top heavy team that relies offensively on Harden & Westbrook heavy.

Russ & Harden will get their numbers but they'll work harder against better defenses. Without depth, teams like the Lakers will destroy them in the playoffs

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Put your players in the position to win.
You can't tell me People not named Steph or Klay's 3 is a better shot than Lebron's/Ad's/Kawhi/Greek's 2's are
no matter how long you write out the equation.

All sports is human factor first and stats second.

Stats in sports is suppose to show where your strength and weakness as at so you can adjust accordingly. And essentially, things become situational, so you work with highest probability and not something you can get every time.

If Dame Lillard wants to shoot from the logo, then I’ll give him that shot all day.

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend

Stats in sports is suppose to show where your strength and weakness as at so you can adjust accordingly. And essentially, things become situational, so you work with highest probability and not something you can get every time.

If Dame Lillard wants to shoot from the logo, then I’ll give him that shot all day.

Just coach the players you have stop doing shit you can't do lol

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

BOOM!!!

every year these so called experts RAVE on how Bill Belichek is the greatest football coach of all time because he constantly adjusts his game plan to fit the TALENT AVAILABLE to him

And ALTERS his entire style of play to best attack the opposing team weakness

Yet we get continually retread white coaches make the excuse they have the WRONG players to fit their preferred SYSTEM.

Regardless if this so called brillant system has actually ever been successful without some type of all star at various positions

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
Seem like plenty of them light tinted folks love to throw this out there and usage rate and shit

the problem is making it the end all be all and putting it above actual things that matter
there are uses to show certain trend and MINOR THINGS

but they don't want it to be minor they want it to be major and the defacto authority on what's good and what's not

AND IT NEVER WILL BE

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Seem like plenty of them light tinted folks love to throw this out there and usage rate and shit

Stats can be meaningful, so there is nothing wrong when looking at rates. The problem is when they rely on those numbers as truth and put them to practical use. A team that shoots 40% from 3 point could mean they shot 8/10 one game and 0/10 the next. Add those together that can average to 40%.

That’s essentially what you saw when the rockets missed 20 something consecutive 3 pointers in the playoffs. They are trying to make their average percentage by hoisting a bunch of three pointers thinking they maximize their points per possession.

These are humans and not computer simulations.

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
In all honesty we're too small...
Yep.. And the continued insistence on ignoring defense has taken its toll. You guys have undersized wings and bigs and no one to play perimeter or interior defense. Add to it that horrible offense of jacking terrible threes and it looks like you guys are relegated to a first round KO in the postseason.

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
Rockets got too many holes & it's starting to show. The bench is utter garbage, they have no good perimeter defenders, Dantoni's short rotation is a problem, they have no length outside of Capela & they don't have shooters for the style they want to run.

Rockets are a top heavy team that relies offensively on Harden & Westbrook heavy.

Russ & Harden will get their numbers but they'll work harder against better defenses. Without depth, teams like the Lakers will destroy them in the playoffs
The real truth is D'Antonio has no business coaching an NBA team. :smh:

TfgHo2.jpg

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Stats can be meaningful, so there is nothing wrong when looking at rates. The problem is when they rely on those numbers as truth and put them to practical use. A team that shoots 40% from 3 point could mean they shot 8/10 one game and 0/10 the next. Add those together that can average to 40%.

That’s essentially what you saw when the rockets missed 20 something consecutive 3 pointers in the playoffs. They are trying to make their average percentage by hoisting a bunch of three pointers thinking they maximize their points per possession.

These are humans and not computer simulations.

Of all these crazy new metrocs?
Which basketball ones do you think are legit?
Cause nerds out here saying triple doubles are mesningless arbitrary numbers, mid range rummers are useless etc etc

I still not sure i understand plus/minus and per.

KingTaharqa

Greatest Of All Time
BGOL Investor
Yep.. And the continued insistence on ignoring defense has taken its toll. You guys have undersized wings and bigs and no one to play perimeter or interior defense. Add to it that horrible offense of jacking terrible threes and it looks like you guys are relegated to a first round KO in the postseason.

Rockets fans saying they "too small"? Draymond and his triple single becoming totally irrelevant in San Fran. Damn, dont look now but seems small ball is officially dead in the NBA. :yes:

spider705

Light skin, non ADOS Lebron hater!
BGOL Investor
It's kinda disingenuous when people say analytics ruined the game when every team in EVERY SPORT has an analytics department that helps influence damn near every aspect of their existence.

It doesn't matter if it's the NFL, NBA, MLB... they have some type of analytics department tucked away within the organization helping them.

Might not be titled ANALYTICS, but it's there. Every team, every sport, champion to bottom dweller... they all rely on analytics to be better.

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
It's kinda disingenuous when people say analytics ruined the game when every team in EVERY SPORT has an analytics department that helps influence damn near every aspect of their existence.

It doesn't matter if it's the NFL, NBA, MLB... they have some type of analytics department tucked away within the organization helping them.

Might not be titled ANALYTICS, but it's there. Every team, every sport, champion to bottom dweller... they all rely on analytics to be better.

I think it’s more that it many of those talking heads be force feeding it down our ears

spider705

Light skin, non ADOS Lebron hater!
BGOL Investor
I think it’s more that it many of those talking heads be force feeding it down our ears
That's what they're paid to do though... they trying to mainstream something that's been apart of every professional sports organization in existence for years... this shit been going on waaaaay before Billy ball in Oakland and Morey in Houston... media was behind the curve but are now catching up