Rest in Power, Director John Singleton

neptunes007

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I was watching Boyz in the Hood yesterday... Till this day that movies stills stands as one of the best examples of storytelling in cinema. No big budget & No Jumping around of multiple stories like a Tarantino or Guy Ritchie movie to intrigue the audience. Just a solid ass story told well.

The scene when they bring Ricky’s dead body home to his mother’s home is probably the most RAW, REAL, and EMOTIONAL scene in cinema for me. Anyone who watches that movie from beginning to end always feels that scene no matter your race, creed, or origin. (I’ve seen this with my own eyes). Especially when we find out Ricky got just enough on his SAT test, right after he is killed. SMH

RIP Mr. John Singleton you touched the world with the stories you told. You set the bar high and made iconic films that will stand the test of time.

DirtyCake

Superstar *****
Platinum Member
I was watching Boyz in the Hood yesterday... Till this day that movies stills stands as one of the best examples of storytelling in cinema. No big budget & No Jumping around of multiple stories like a Tarantino or Guy Ritchie movie to intrigue the audience. Just a solid ass story told well.

The scene when they bring Ricky’s dead body home to his mother’s home is probably the most RAW, REAL, and EMOTIONAL scene in cinema for me. Anyone who watches that movie from beginning to end always feels that scene no matter your race, creed, or origin. (I’ve seen this with my own eyes). Especially when we find out Ricky got just enough on his SAT test, right after he is killed. SMH

RIP Mr. John Singleton you touched the world with the stories you told. You set the bar high and made iconic films that will stand the test of time.
I wish he did the 2pac biopic

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
RIP to John Singleton. I still remember going to see Boyz in the Hood after work in 1991 . Left the theatre moved and stunned .There was nowhere but up for him as a Director and Producer .Prayers and Condolences to his family and friends.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
0503-john-singleton-funeral-2.jpg

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
https://www.tmz.com/2019/05/03/john-singleton-funeral-set-for-monday-may-6th/

5/3/2019 5:00 PM PDT

John Singleton will be laid to rest at the cemetery where Nipsey Hussle was buried.

TMZ has obtained the invitation to celebrate the life of John Daniel Singleton. The service will be held at 10 AM Monday at Angelus Funeral Home in the South L.A. It's the same place where Nipsey's family came for the viewing and a private service.

After the funeral, John will be interred at Forest Lawn-Hollywood Hills. Again, it's the same place where Nipsey was buried.

As for the connection, we're told Nipsey and John knew each other, but the deeper connection is that they were both raised and active in South L.A. John's office was fairly close to Nipsey's store, The Marathon Clothing.

TMZ broke the story ... John's will was filed in Los Angeles Friday. His oldest daughter, 26-year-old Justice, will get his estate which is valued at $3.8 million. The will was drafted in 1993, before his 6 other children were born. They could have a claim to split the assets 7 ways.

John, who died of a stroke last month at 51, could also have a trust outside the will. His estate was reportedly valued at around $35 million, so the will may not be a full accounting of the assets John left behind.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
https://www.tmz.com/2019/05/03/john-singleton-will-filed-court-money/

5/3/2019 4:27 PM PDT

John Singleton's mother, Shelia Ward, has filed her son's last will and testament, and according to the document, obtained by TMZ, his 26-year-old daughter, Justice Singleton, the oldest child, gets his estate, which is reportedly valued at $3.8 million.

John wrote the will in 1993 when he only had one child -- Justice. He has since had 6 other children.

Under California law, the 6 children born after the will was signed may have rights, because they were not specifically excluded from the will. If the 6 kids didn't get anything from John, under California law, they could make a strong case the $3.8 million should be divided into 7 equal parts ... in other words, each child would get 1/7th.

We assume the $3.8 million is not the full extent of his assets. He may well have a trust that disposes of other assets that are not included in the will. His full estate is reportedly valued at $35 million. BTW, if the other 6 children are provided for in the trust, they would probably lose their right to collect anything under the will.

According to the docs, John's personal property is valued at $2.5 million. His real property is valued just shy of $1.3 million. Again, this does not include any assets that may be handled separately in a trust.

The document provides Shelia will get custody of the minor children, of which there are 2. Fact is ... if the biological mothers of the children have taken custody, this provision is almost certainly irrelevant.

By the way, Justice's address is the same as Shelia's, so it would appear they're close.

As we reported, Shelia and another of John's daughters, Cleopatra, were fighting while he lay in a coma after his stroke. Shelia filed legal docs asking a judge to appoint her temporary conservator so she could handle John's business affairs, and Cleopatra claimed Shelia was fleecing the estate to deny his children any money.

TMZ broke the story, John suffered a stroke last month after he had checked himself into Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in L.A. for a leg problem. His mom says John suffered from hypertension for years, and that is what likely triggered the stroke.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
RIP to John Singleton. I still remember going to see Boyz in the Hood after work in 1991 . Left the theatre moved and stunned .There was nowhere but up for him as a Director and Producer .Prayers and Condolences to his family and friends.

I recall seeing it too. I was a grade schooler ... aunt took me
downtown to see it. She’s cool people. Movie fan and checks out all genres. We usually check out 2-3 movies a year.

Loan Me 20

Rising Star
Registered
I'ma watch "Higher Learning" & "Boyz In The Hood" a few times in his honor. Rest In Paradise Mr. Singleton.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
John Singleton's Daughter Struggling Financially After Director's Death
https%3A%2F%2Fimages.saymedia-content.com%2F.image%2FMTY3MDI2ODA5MjI3OTc4MTMz%2Fwenn35743168.jpg

https%3A%2F%2Fmaven.io%2Fapi%2Fuser%2FKY7e6SONDUeyUukuC4xEYA%2Fphoto%3Fversion%3D0

byAllHipHop Staff1 day

John Singleton's 21-year-old daughter is trying to finish her education, but she's having some difficulties after her father's death.

(AllHipHop News) John Singleton's daughter has filed papers requesting a monthly allowance from her late father's estate.

The "Boyz n the Hood" writer/director passed away on April 28, more than a week after being placed in a coma after suffering a stroke.

Following his passing, his mother Sheila Ward was named the executor of the estate.

According to legal documents obtained by TMZ, John's 21-year-old daughter Cleopatra has filed a petition requesting a monthly allowance of $2,778, because she claims her dad used to cover her bills and expenses because she's a student.

She is also asking for a one-time payment of $4,150 to cover her study abroad program.

Cleopatra claims she's struggled to keep up with her finances since her father's death, and suggested it could take at least another year until the estate works out how to distribute John's fortune.

The late director's daughter previously filed papers objecting to her grandmother being placed in charge of the estate and accused her of trying to cut the children out following her father's death.