Man... I'm 28 min 19 sec Into Kevin Hart's New Netflix Special 'No F**ks Given' & I Literally Haven't Laughed or Even Smirked Once

Ming Fei Hong

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Okay, I watched it last night. Disclosure: I am a big Kevin Hart fan, but THIS WAS BAD! It was on the verge of cringe worthy. I felt he abandoned some jokes too soon, hung on to others too long. Plus, his timing was bad. This was brutal to watch. We watched about 75% of it, and my wife gave a couple of sympathy chuckles, and I never changed my facial expression.
Fam, Kevin is alienating fans like you and your Mrs (and me). He's not only not trying to hear any criticism from his fans, he's clapping back at them as haters who ain't on his level. He's too emotional to take the feedback and adjust to better connect with his fans. He's boxing himself with only his most rabid brown-nosers... some Napoleon complex shit. :smh:

guyver

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Kevin has always come off as arrogant and not as humble as he would have people believe. The problem was everyone believed he was trying to be funny or acting when he showed those traits. Overall he does seem to be a good dude from what you can see from a distance and is human like the rest of us.

To me, the special didn't seem as bad as people are making it out to be especially if you really are/were a fan of Kevin. I was doing other things so I was distracted and need to we watch to really give an opinion. He has always made jokes around his personal life and family. Why does everyone want him to be Dave Chappelle or speak on social issues.

The crazy part is a lot of people weren't fucking with Dave like that either and are really sheep. I could be wrong about the timing but Dave had two specials before the Chappelle Show and I never recall the average black person being a fan of them or knowing who he was at that time. Even after the Chappelle Show, black people as a whole weren't necessarily a fan of Dave's work. I've even heard a few people say they didn't find his Netflix specials funny either.

In my opinion people are not as big a fan of Dave's comedy as they claim and are more a fan of Dave's lifestyle outside of Comedy like walking away from 50 million. Dave did what most of us claim we would do but probably would not. That is part of the reason he has gained a following along with making one of the biggest come backs after being canceled by Hollywood. Right now, it is fashionable to be a Dave Chappelle fan and even those who are not will hide there true feelings just like all the people who hated Trump but secretly supported him. Someone else said this already but Dave is moving toward the level of Muhammad Ali when he transcended boxing. To some extent similar can be said about Kevin as far as his business sense and work ethic.

tekwehuself

Immigrant Expat
International Member
Fuck all that, I just need a muthafucka to show me what’s funny!

giphy.gif
:lol:

You funny in them gifs picasso. Shit reminds me of a heated game of dominoes

Ming Fei Hong

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Kevin has always come off as arrogant and not as humble as he would have people believe. The problem was everyone believed he was trying to be funny or acting when he showed those traits. Overall he does seem to be a good dude from what you can see from a distance and is human like the rest of us.

To me, the special didn't seem as bad as people are making it out to be especially if you really are/were a fan of Kevin. I was doing other things so I was distracted and need to we watch to really give an opinion. He has always made jokes around his personal life and family. Why does everyone want him to be Dave Chappelle or speak on social issues.

The crazy part is a lot of people weren't fucking with Dave like that either and are really sheep. I could be wrong about the timing but Dave had two specials before the Chappelle Show and I never recall the average black person being a fan of them or knowing who he was at that time. Even after the Chappelle Show, black people as a whole weren't necessarily a fan of Dave's work. I've even heard a few people say they didn't find his Netflix specials funny either.

In my opinion people are not as big a fan of Dave's comedy as they claim and are more a fan of Dave's lifestyle outside of Comedy like walking away from 50 million. Dave did what most of us claim we would do but probably would not. That is part of the reason he has gained a following along with making one of the biggest come backs after being canceled by Hollywood. Right now, it is fashionable to be a Dave Chappelle fan and even those who are not will hide there true feelings just like all the people who hated Trump but secretly supported him. Someone else said this already but Dave is moving toward the level of Muhammad Ali when he transcended boxing. To some extent similar can be said about Kevin as far as his business sense and work ethic.
Nah. You buggin, bro. Hella folk were fuckin with Dave Chappelle before Chappelle Show of the popularity of Half-Baked and his hilarious Killing Them Softly HBO special. By the time he got his own show, he'd been featured prominently in films alongside Tom Hanks, Martin Lawrence, Eddie Murphy, and in Mel Brooks classic comedy Robin Hood: Men In Tights. He built his base over the course of years. That's why folk fuck with him.

It's Kevin Hart whose base are mainly comedy casuals who don't know his full body of work. That said, I was one of Kevin Hart's main defenders for years when folk would say he isn't funny. The idea that the only people criticizing him are people who have a negative bias against him or expect him to be Chappelle. No one expects him to be Chappelle. They expect him to be funny. That shouldn't be too much to ask for from a comedian.

bxclark

Rising Star
Platinum Member

I strongly doubt that anyone one here listened to Kevin's special expecting him to be Dave Chappelle or be anything other than Kevin Hart... I don't think that we are required to take anything other than WAS IT FUNNY into account when providing feedback. Going down these rabbit holes are really unnecessary trying to analyze why people didn't think it was funny.

It doesn't mean we don't respect all the other great shit Kevin does or how he supports his team and the people around him. Simple and plain, this shit was not funny to me. Why isn't that enough of a reason? There is no conspiracy here. He is a funny guy overall, but this shit was a miss. He needs to just take the feedback and shut the fuck up if he has no fucks to give. That said, I'll support him and watch the next project he puts out.

All these theories as to why we hating in Kevin is just silly at this point.

Ming Fei Hong

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I strongly doubt that anyone one here listened to Kevin's special expecting him to be Dave Chappelle or be anything other than Kevin Hart... I don't think that we are required to take anything other than WAS IT FUNNY into account when providing feedback. Going down these rabbit holes are really unnecessary trying to analyze why people didn't think it was funny.

It doesn't mean we don't respect all the other great shit Kevin does or how he supports his team and the people around him. Simple and plain, this shit was not funny to me. Why isn't that enough of a reason? There is no conspiracy here. He is a funny guy overall, but this shit was a miss. He needs to just take the feedback and shut the fuck up if he has no fucks to give. That said, I'll support him and watch the next project he puts out.

Word... shit is starting to be like Trump refusing to accept the election results.

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I think because of his popularity, he feels he can't touch on certain shit. Chappelle can do it because he's reached the highest heights and is untouchable. A young unknown comedian can because he doesn't have the family friendly movie audience to cater to as well.

But think about Pryor, though. All the stuff he did in the 70s, he was extremely outspoken about. He didn't hold back.

For some reason, the powers that be didn't stop him from making a couple of family-friendly films (The Toy and Moving) in the 80s.

A comedian always walks a fine line, but what you have to love about people is they sense when an artist is walking a fine line, and they hold them to it.

That's how I interpret Hart as a safe comedian. He knows he can't cross boundaries by joking about gays, jews, social and political issues. Because Hart does give a fuck about what people think of him, he can't help but walk that fine line. If he didn't care what people thought, then his comedy would be much more versatile on the subject matter.

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Word... shit is starting to be like Trump refusing to accept the election results.

That's pure ego, which is very difficult for some to put aside once they have hit the apex of their career. There isn't really any other Black comedian that is making money AND has the popularity as Hart right now.

He probably really feels like he is above critique at this point of his career.

guyver

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Nah. You buggin, bro. Hella folk were fuckin with Dave Chappelle before Chappelle Show of the popularity of Half-Baked and his hilarious Killing Them Softly HBO special. By the time he got his own show, he'd been featured prominently in films alongside Tom Hanks, Martin Lawrence, Eddie Murphy, and in Mel Brooks classic comedy Robin Hood: Men In Tights. He built his base over the course of years. That's why folk fuck with him.

It's Kevin Hart whose base are mainly comedy casuals who don't know his full body of work. That said, I was one of Kevin Hart's main defenders for years when folk would say he isn't funny. The idea that the only people criticizing him are people who have a negative bias against him or expect him to be Chappelle. No one expects him to be Chappelle. They expect him to be funny. That shouldn't be too much to ask for from a comedian.

I'm going to agree to disagree on that. It's a big world so Dave being known about and liked by black people at a high level could very well be true for you but that wasn't my experience. At best maybe once the Chappelle Show started and honestly I'd really say season 2. Even then you heard complaints from some people around that and the Boondocks making black people look bad at that time.

Outside of Blue Streak, the Nutty Professor, and Undercover Brother off the top of my head, Dave was mainly in movies that more so appealed to a white audiences. His main audience before Chappelle Show seemed to be white. Dave's career in the black community didn't seem to pop like Chris Tucker after Friday, Mike Epps after Friday, or Kat Williams. He wasn't put in the same lane as Martin Lawrence, Eddie Griffin, Chris Rock or any of the Kings of Comedy members.He was on Def Jam but I don't recall anyone really mentioning this. I don't recall him being on BET Comic View. Now before you try to shit on Comic View keep in mind that at this time alot of black comedians went there to perform. I've been a fan of Dave's since Killing Them Softly and I remember him in all of the movies you mentioned. Maybe Black people who were big fans of comedy liked Dave pre Chappelle Show, but I personally never saw it from the general black audience aka causal fans.

When I mention Dave I'm speaking on people saying Kevin doesn't speak on social issues and attempts stay in a safe zone for business purposes. I'm not saying people want Kevin to be as funny as Dave. I could be wrong but this stance was taken by someone in this thread and if not I know I've seen this stance other places the last few days.

My take on Kevin personality is how I feel and I wasn't implying others didn't like his comedy based on my description of his character. Assuming that is what you were speaking on.

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I'm going to agree to disagree on that. It's a big world so Dave being known about and liked by black people at a high level could very well be true for you but that wasn't my experience. At best maybe once the Chappelle Show started and honestly I'd really say season 2. Even then you heard complaints from some people around that and the Boondocks making black people look bad at that time.

Outside of Blue Streak, the Nutty Professor, and Undercover Brother off the top of my head, Dave was mainly in movies that more so appealed to a white audiences. His main audience before Chappelle Show seemed to be white. Dave's career in the black community didn't seem to pop like Chris Tucker after Friday, Mike Epps after Friday, or Kat Williams. He wasn't put in the same lane as Martin Lawrence, Eddie Griffin, Chris Rock or any of the Kings of Comedy members.He was on Def Jam but I don't recall anyone really mentioning this. I don't recall him being on BET Comic View. Now before you try to shit on Comic View keep in mind that at this time alot of black comedians went there to perform. I've been a fan of Dave's since Killing Them Softly and I remember him in all of the movies you mentioned. Maybe Black people who were big fans of comedy liked Dave pre Chappelle Show, but I personally never saw it from the general black audience aka causal fans.

When I mention Dave I'm speaking on people saying Kevin doesn't speak on social issues and attempts stay in a safe zone for business purposes. I'm not saying people want Kevin to be as funny as Dave. I could be wrong but this stance was taken by someone in this thread and if not I know I've seen this stance other places the last few days.

My take on Kevin personality is how I feel and I wasn't implying others didn't like his comedy based on my description of his character. Assuming that is what you were speaking on.

I agree, Black people weren’t fucking with Dave like that as a whole. Yes some Black people knew who he was who were fans of comedy or fans of his. Dave was on Def Comedy Jam, he’s not one of the “Stars” from Def Comedy Jam.

Dave was on Star Search also, many of his fans from The Chappelle Show until now don’t remember that. Yes Dave was in a few movies already mentioned, noggas wasnmt watching that shit! :lol:

And yes, some Black people watched it but I’m talking about the masses. Many of the newer fans only knew him from The Chappelle Show and were disappointed to see his standup because they thought they were getting “Chappelle Show” live.

Ming Fei Hong

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
What I'm saying is your personal experience (perspective) of how popular Dave was pre-Chappelle show doesn't line up with the fact that it was his popularity that help earn him his own show. I don't know where you lived or how you missed it, but Dave was on a roll from Half Baked, Killin Em Softly, and his Block Party documentary that featured a who's who of dope Black artists. His popularity didn't begin season 2 of Chappelle Show, bro.
There's no way a comedian who isn't popular with Black people gets Kanye West, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Jill Scott, Erykah Badu, The Roots, Common, Big Daddy Kane, Kool G Rap, The Fugees, Bilal, Dead Prez, Cody Chesnutt, John Legend, Central State University Marching Band, and A-Trak to perform at his own block party in Fort Greene and Bed-Stuy, fam. Not to shit on BET Comic View, but there's levels to the game, and Comic View wasn't on the same level as Def Comedy Jam and an HBO special. 'Til this day, Black people still quote Killin Em Softly--e.g. "Where's Ja Rule?!" Unlike Kevin Hart, Dave was trying to be a movie star. He did just enough acting to raise his profile, but Dave is a comedian's comic, standup is his bread and butter. Even Black folk who haven't watched a full special of his--and might not have even been up on his show--love Dave simply because he's a funny dude... that's his whole appeal, he's funny. That he's also brilliant is a bonus.

The problem with Kevin isn't simply that he doesn't address social issues; it's that he's vapid, self-absorbed, insecure, and disinterested in ANY relevant commentary to which Black people can relate. It doesn't have to be "woke." Bill Cosby is a comedy GOAT whose brand wasn't political and he didn't even rep the struggle or Black lower class often in his standup, but he content was relatable. Kevin stopped being "funny" when he stopped being relatable. Nobody wants to hear some rich/famous dude whine about rich/famous dude problems, unless it's funny. Eddie went on a tangent about law suits, divorces settlements, and life problems in Raw, but it was funny. Let's not complicated matters too much here, fam. Kevin's not getting flak for not being Dave. He's getting flak for being Kevin.

guyver

Rising Star
Platinum Member
What I'm saying is your personal experience (perspective) of how popular Dave was pre-Chappelle show doesn't line up with the fact that it was his popularity that help earn him his own show. I don't know where you lived or how you missed it, but Dave was on a roll from Half Baked, Killin Em Softly, and his Block Party documentary that featured a who's who of dope Black artists. His popularity didn't begin season 2 of Chappelle Show, bro.

There's no way a comedian who isn't popular with Black people gets Kanye West, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Jill Scott, Erykah Badu, The Roots, Common, Big Daddy Kane, Kool G Rap, The Fugees, Bilal, Dead Prez, Cody Chesnutt, John Legend, Central State University Marching Band, and A-Trak to perform at his own block party in Fort Greene and Bed-Stuy, fam. Not to shit on BET Comic View, but there's levels to the game, and Comic View wasn't on the same level as Def Comedy Jam and an HBO special. 'Til this day, Black people still quote Killin Em Softly--e.g. "Where's Ja Rule?!" Unlike Kevin Hart, Dave was trying to be a movie star. He did just enough acting to raise his profile, but Dave is a comedian's comic, standup is his bread and butter. Even Black folk who haven't watched a full special of his--and might not have even been up on his show--love Dave simply because he's a funny dude... that's his whole appeal, he's funny. That he's also brilliant is a bonus.

The problem with Kevin isn't simply that he doesn't address social issues; it's that he's vapid, self-absorbed, insecure, and disinterested in ANY relevant commentary to which Black people can relate. It doesn't have to be "woke." Bill Cosby is a comedy GOAT whose brand wasn't political and he didn't even rep the struggle or Black lower class often in his standup, but he content was relatable. Kevin stopped being "funny" when he stopped being relatable. Nobody wants to hear some rich/famous dude whine about rich/famous dude problems, unless it's funny. Eddie went on a tangent about law suits, divorces settlements, and life problems in Raw, but it was funny. Let's not complicated matters too much here, fam. Kevin's not getting flak for not being Dave. He's getting flak for being Kevin.

Again you have your opinion and you are entitled to it. I'm from the DMV and Dave was not popular as a whole by black people. Dave getting Chappelle Show on Comedy Central doesn't mean he was popular with blacks. All that means is he maybe had an audience most of which was white. I never said he didn't have a fan base. I said he didn't have a major black fan base pre Chappelle Show. Dave's mother was my professor and during a class she mentioned Dave being her son. I don't recall if this was season 1 or 2, but most of the room didn't know Dave outside of the Chappelle Show if they knew him at all. How do I know this? Because it was discussed during and after class. Does this mean this was universally true. No, but im just giving another example of that time.

Having artists take part on the Chappelle Show could have just as well been artists getting a check, wanting more exposure or them having a relationship with Dave. Keep in mind that Comedy Central is owned by Viacom which also includes MTV amongst other channels. It would not be impossible for Dave to get guess on the show due to that fact alone. You can't prove they were fans of Dave before the Chappelle Show.

Just because I say or know the phrase Hey Hey Hey doesn't mean I'm a fan of Fat Albert, know who he is or where the phrase originated from. Lets assume you are right and the black people at large were fans of Dave at this point and knew it was his joke. For What it's Worth came out after season one of the Chappelle Show.this has nothing to do with him supposedly having a large black fan base pre-Chappelle Show.

I'm guessing you were meant Dave wasn't trying to be a movie star. So he had a failed tv show, failed pilots, did guest spots on TV show, small roles in movies and later fully developed the Chappelle Show because he wanted to build a buzz as a comedian? He also never went on a major black outlet like Comic View to increase his name as a comedian? Or could it be that his comedy didn't really appeal to the larger black community?which would also explain why he appearance on Def Jam isn't considered memorable. Half-Baked was a cult movie and isn't in the same lane as say Friday which outside of the black community could be seen as a cult movie initially. Half Baked did not have mass appeal to black people. The black community didn't start fucking with Dave because of Half-Baked. As a low budget movie Friday pushed Chris Tucker to the next level and increased his fame in the black community. This did not happen with Dave Chappelle and Half-Baked.

I mentioned Comic View because it was a major black outlet that Dave wasn't a part of. This limits his exposure to causal black fans at that time.You can say it wasn't as big as Def Jam but you're not going to say black people didn't watch BET. Even with Def Jam, Dave's performance doesn't get highlighted like other comedian's who were on Def Jam.

I never said not speaking on social issues or social commentary were the only complaints people had with Kevin. Not speaking on social issues encompasses most of what you stated and is not limited politics. The point is people are saying they did not like his content and compared his content to Dave amongst others. The other reason I used Dave was because like you others said they couldn't relate to Kevin talking about his lifestyle. Regardless of if the jokes were funny or not i don't recall people saying they couldn't relate to Dave, Eddie or anyone else rich lifestyle. How often have people said Jay-Z isn't a good rapper because he rapped about his rich lifestyle? Granted nothing is simple but just say you don't find Kevin funny instead of adding extra shit. This is not directed at you as much as generally speaking.

guyver

Rising Star
Platinum Member

I agree with everything you said overall.

From my perspective, Kevin special came off like he was testing material. It was on Netflix so I going to assume it was the final product. It wasn't polished and Kevin feeds off the crowd which he clearly didn't have size wise. Some of the jokes seemed like he dropped them without finishing, drew them out too long and he wasn't transitioning well either. For me, it wasn't that the jokes weren't funny he was basically making them worse due to his timing. If you were a Kevin Hart fan, he pretty much gave you an unrefined version of himself. If you weren't a fan before, this show wasn't going to make you one. If you weren't already fan, you opinion would be the same even if it was a better show.

When I said why are people asking him to be like Dave, I was speaking on Dave being observational. Which is what I saw in the last few days. my thoughts are funny is funny regardless of what the content is or how much I can relate to the person or their lifestyle.

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I agree with everything you said overall.

From my perspective, Kevin special came off like he was testing material. It was on Netflix so I going to assume it was the final product. It wasn't polished and Kevin feeds off the crowd which he clearly didn't have size wise. Some of the jokes seemed like he dropped them without finishing, drew them out too long and he wasn't transitioning well either. For me, it wasn't that the jokes weren't funny he was basically making them worse due to his timing. If you were a Kevin Hart fan, he pretty much gave you an unrefined version of himself. If you weren't a fan before, this show wasn't going to make you one. If you weren't already fan, you opinion would be the same even if it was a better show.

When I said why are people asking him to be like Dave, I was speaking on Dave being observational. Which is what I saw in the last few days. my thoughts are funny is funny regardless of what the content is or how much I can relate to the person or their lifestyle.

Kevin’s been doing comedy for 20+ years, he knows how to do his job. He and his people crafted that special and some or many people didn’t like it. It happens.

Yes it could be timing, but I’ve seen comedians do shows without an audience during the pandemic and we wouldn’t known there was no audience had they not told us.

It might’ve been the material but at this point I think people expect to be blown away, and when that doesn’t happen they complain.

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Again you have your opinion and you are entitled to it. I'm from the DMV and Dave was not popular as a whole by black people. Dave getting Chappelle Show on Comedy Central doesn't mean he was popular with blacks. All that means is he maybe had an audience most of which was white. I never said he didn't have a fan base. I said he didn't have a major black fan base pre Chappelle Show. Dave's mother was my professor and during a class she mentioned Dave being her son. I don't recall if this was season 1 or 2, but most of the room didn't know Dave outside of the Chappelle Show if they knew him at all. How do I know this? Because it was discussed during and after class. Does this mean this was universally true. No, but im just giving another example of that time.

Having artists take part on the Chappelle Show could have just as well been artists getting a check, wanting more exposure or them having a relationship with Dave. Keep in mind that Comedy Central is owned by Viacom which also includes MTV amongst other channels. It would not be impossible for Dave to get guess on the show due to that fact alone. You can't prove they were fans of Dave before the Chappelle Show.

Just because I say or know the phrase Hey Hey Hey doesn't mean I'm a fan of Fat Albert, know who he is or where the phrase originated from. Lets assume you are right and the black people at large were fans of Dave at this point and knew it was his joke. For What it's Worth came out after season one of the Chappelle Show.this has nothing to do with him supposedly having a large black fan base pre-Chappelle Show.

I'm guessing you were meant Dave wasn't trying to be a movie star. So he had a failed tv show, failed pilots, did guest spots on TV show, small roles in movies and later fully developed the Chappelle Show because he wanted to build a buzz as a comedian? He also never went on a major black outlet like Comic View to increase his name as a comedian? Or could it be that his comedy didn't really appeal to the larger black community?which would also explain why he appearance on Def Jam isn't considered memorable. Half-Baked was a cult movie and isn't in the same lane as say Friday which outside of the black community could be seen as a cult movie initially. Half Baked did not have mass appeal to black people. The black community didn't start fucking with Dave because of Half-Baked. As a low budget movie Friday pushed Chris Tucker to the next level and increased his fame in the black community. This did not happen with Dave Chappelle and Half-Baked.

I mentioned Comic View because it was a major black outlet that Dave wasn't a part of. This limits his exposure to causal black fans at that time.You can say it wasn't as big as Def Jam but you're not going to say black people didn't watch BET. Even with Def Jam, Dave's performance doesn't get highlighted like other comedian's who were on Def Jam.

I never said not speaking on social issues or social commentary were the only complaints people had with Kevin. Not speaking on social issues encompasses most of what you stated and is not limited politics. The point is people are saying they did not like his content and compared his content to Dave amongst others. The other reason I used Dave was because like you others said they couldn't relate to Kevin talking about his lifestyle. Regardless of if the jokes were funny or not i don't recall people saying they couldn't relate to Dave, Eddie or anyone else rich lifestyle. How often have people said Jay-Z isn't a good rapper because he rapped about his rich lifestyle? Granted nothing is simple but just say you don't find Kevin funny instead of adding extra shit. This is not directed at you as much as generally speaking.

You’re right, Black people weren’t fucking with Dave like that until The Chappelle Show. Niggas wasn’t watching “Half Baked” or “Men in Tights”! :roflmao:

I like Dave and I ain’t seen them shits!:lol:

Of course some Black people knew who he was, because I knew who he was!:lol:

To those saying that he was so popular, how come nobody said “Where’s Dave” when the Kings of Comedy came out?

tenor.gif

Ming Fei Hong

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
You’re right, Black people weren’t fucking with Dave like that until The Chappelle Show. Niggas wasn’t watching “Half Baked” or “Men in Tights”! :roflmao:

To those saying that he was so popular, how come nobody said “Where’s Dave” when the Kings of Comedy came out?

tenor.gif
No disrespect to Ced, Steve, and DL, but the only "king" of comedy in that lineup at the time was Bernie. Which is why you didn't hear anybody asking where was Chris, Eddie, Cosby, or Martin Lawrence, either.

Ming Fei Hong

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Opinion? LOL Numbers aren't my "opinion." Just say YOU weren't feeling Dave, until season 2 of Chappelle Show. You ain't gotta try to make it about the majority of Black people.
Except that's not what it was... there's a reason no other individual has corralled that kinda of lineup since Dave. The man had juice.
I'm talking about his actual ratings, proven impact, and Black celebrity co-signs. You're talking about your assumptions, feelings, and opinions. Bruh.
I said his "bread and butter"--i.e. foundation of his career--is standup, not MOVIES. Obviously, he diversifies his money streams, but there's no question which is his mainstay. Standup. Hate to break it to you, but "major black outlets" are often minor outlets compared to the multinational platforms like Viacom/HBO. We know this. Also, Chris Tucker rode Ice Cube's coat tail to fame and cashed out with Rush Hour... standup career went up in flames. To compare him to Dave is laughable. Popularity is fleeting. Dave played the long game and is now a LEGEND, beloved by Black folk. Kevin's mistake is he's testing our love and not offering quality content to offset the backlash like Yeezy and Weezy did after slobbin' Trump's knob.
Def Comedy Jam > BET Comic View... that's not even a debate.
Look, fam... niggas don't dig Kevin's shit. Not because he's not Dave or anyone else. It's because he's NOT funny, and he's also coming off as an insecure rich asshole bitter bitch. The beautiful thing about comedy is that it DOESN'T require all the caping your doing to defend itself. The best defense for comedy is laughter. If the people ain't laughing, case closed. Next.

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Opinion? LOL Numbers aren't my "opinion." Just say YOU weren't feeling Dave, until season 2 of Chappelle Show. You ain't gotta try to make it about the majority of Black people.

Except that's not what it was... there's a reason no other individual has corralled that kinda of lineup since Dave. The man had juice.

I'm talking about his actual ratings, proven impact, and Black celebrity co-signs. You're talking about your assumptions, feelings, and opinions. Bruh.

I said his "bread and butter"--i.e. foundation of his career--is standup, not MOVIES. Obviously, he diversifies his money streams, but there's no question which is his mainstay. Standup. Hate to break it to you, but "major black outlets" are often minor outlets compared to the multinational platforms like Viacom/HBO. We know this. Also, Chris Tucker rode Ice Cube's coat tail to fame and cashed out with Rush Hour... standup career went up in flames. To compare him to Dave is laughable. Popularity is fleeting. Dave played the long game and is now a LEGEND, beloved by Black folk. Kevin's mistake is he's testing our love and not offering quality content to offset the backlash like Yeezy and Weezy did after slobbin' Trump's knob.

Look, fam... niggas don't dig Kevin's shit. Not because he's not Dave or anyone else. It's because he's NOT funny, and he's also coming off as an insecure rich asshole bitter bitch. The beautiful thing about comedy is that it DOESN'T require all the caping your doing to defend itself. The best defense for comedy is laughter. If the people ain't laughing, case closed. Next.

That's a lot of insight but let me go ahead and nullify everything you just said using your own words.

The first word in your reply was "Opinion", insinuating that @guyver opinion didn't speak for the Black majority. No he doesn't speak for the majority but many at the time felt the same way as he did.

Now this is my opinion and I might be wrong, but there was no GOAT talk about Dave until he released specials on Netflix. Yes people wanted to see him come back but I never heard anyone say he was the GOAT from 2000-2017.

Your last paragraph, "Niggas don't dig Kevin's shit" and the kicker. "He's not funny".

53,000 people don't pay their money to see a person who "Isn't funny".

KevinHart_WhatNow_Philadelphia_stadium.png

He has the highest grossing comedy tour off all time, because he's funny.

You're entitled to your "Opinion", but don't state that Black people aren't "Digging his shit" like it's some sort of fact.

guyver

Rising Star
Platinum Member

Everything you are saying is your opinion and you haven't backed anything you said up by numbers. I'm not even asking you to because you wouldn't be able to easily do it. You haven't explained where Dave would have gotten this major exposure to a Black audience from and all of my examples say he would have a very limited exposure unlike other comedian's of the 90s which he was clearly a part. He had not done anything impactful until maybe Killing Them Softly. BET was a major outlet for black people. This is not up for debate because it is a fact.it doesn't matter how big it was compared to other networks. We are talking about the likely hood of black entertainers being easily seen by black audiences. Other outlets for black entertainers would have been the early days of WB and UPN. Damon Waynes and DL had multiple seasons on ABC. Dave wasn't on those outlets either. Remember I'm talking about exposure to the black audience.where did Dave show up? Comedy Central a network that was mainly being watched for a South Park and probably didn't have a massive black audience for their network pre-Chappelle Show.

At no point did I compare Def Jam to Comic View so you're right its not up for debate. The discussion is not about which is the bigger platform. As I've already said Dave performance wasn't memorable compared to other acts on the show. He was just another Comedian on there a wasn't considered special by the black community.

You attempted to use the JaRule joke and Block party as your reason for Dave having a big Black fan base pre-Chappelle Show yet those examples happen after Chappelle Show started and I believe after the second season.your examples of know artists coming on Chappelle Show is also weak for the reasons I stated earlier. You don't need to be a fan of someone's work to be paid to work on their show.

Your best bet would be Killing Them Softly as far as showing up clearly for Dave. The problem with using this is that special wasn't talked about by black people when compared to specials done by Eddie Murphy, Martin Lawrence, Damon Waynes, Chris Rock or the kings of Comedy. I'm not comparing their careers or how funny they are to Dave. I'm only speaking on having a clear and strong black audience. You can say Chris had a short career but who was the bigger star and was a house hold name in the black community pre-Chappelle Show? Dave has the exact career path as any other comedian. You're only saying touring is his B&B based of the last few years. Keep mind Dave by choice or by being blackballed wasn't doing movies or TV and rarely did live shows for years after Chappelle Show. Again even if i were going to agree that touring is his bread and butter we are talking about pre-Chappelle Show and its a given that he was on stage more especially considering he was not a household name yet. Again the normal career path for comedians.

You haven't shown any numbers showing the black community supported Dave and you
haven't shown any pre-Chappelle Show co-signs from celebrities. You haven't even been able to get anyone to cosign your opinion on here that Dave had a major black audience pre-Chappelle Show and yet other comedian's seem to support my opinion. To be fair of the top of my head Fazion was one of the said comedians and he is seen as a hater, but just because the person is seen as a hater doesn't mean it's not the truth in their words.

Saying I wasn't a fan of Dave pre-Chappelle Show which isn't true doesn't change how Dave was viewed during the 90s pre-Chappelle Show. Dave never came up in any talks in the 90s or pre-Chappelle Show when other black comedians were being talked about;not even as a comedian actor that i can remember. Every time you try to give examples you end up talking about things that happened during or after the Chappelle Show.

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

tenor.gif
Yeppppp... I was 1 of the few that actually seen half bake in the movies.. that shit got taken out the theatre in less than 6 weeks.. I got it on vhs as soon as it came out and brought screwed on dvd.. most people don’t even know what “screwed” is.. I seen men in tights when it first hit hbo.. i actually was more hyped to see blue streak cause Chapelle was gonna be in it than Martin.. my friends use to be like your boy in such a such movie cause they knew I liked his brand of comedy.. in fact only reason why me and 4 of my other boys seen half baked was cause I recommend it..everybody else was like nig you better hope this movie good cause we not trying to waste free tix.. the movie fortunately won them over especially when they did the nyc nod to the less than $5 date.. lot of nigs wasn’t huge fans of that dude until Chappelle show.. hell I know mad people that literally were like yooo now I see why you was a fan of his all these yrs ..Chappelle show put him on the radar to a broader audience.. I can bet most people didn’t even see half bake until they saw Chappelle show or watch his old standup until Chappelle show

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
That's a lot of insight but let me go ahead and nullify everything you just said using your own words.

The first word in your reply was "Opinion", insinuating that @guyver opinion didn't speak for the Black majority. No he doesn't speak for the majority but many at the time felt the same way as he did.

Now this is my opinion and I might be wrong, but there was no GOAT talk about Dave until he released specials on Netflix. Yes people wanted to see him come back but I never heard anyone say he was the GOAT from 2000-2017.

Your last paragraph, "Niggas don't dig Kevin's shit" and the kicker. "He's not funny".

You're entitled to your "Opinion", but don't state that Black people aren't "Digging his shit" like it's some sort of fact.
I agree with most of what you said accept the 53,000 people part.. Dane cook and Amy were doing 5 fig shows and those fuckers aren’t funny.. not saying Kevin is garbage like them just saying you can actually not be universally funny and draw crowds

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
No disrespect to Ced, Steve, and DL, but the only "king" of comedy in that lineup at the time was Bernie. Which is why you didn't hear anybody asking where was Chris, Eddie, Cosby, or Martin Lawrence, either.
Bernie was the least known person in that group.. ced, Steve, and dL all had shows and were more mainstream.. Bernie was the underdog.. he definitely was funny as fuck and better than them but as far as popularity every1 of them were more popular than Bernie that’s a fact.. in fact he even mentioned it during the standup.. his segment is what boost his career and finally gave him a show

Ming Fei Hong

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

You didn't negate anything. I said "opinion" in regards to Dave's "actual ratings, proven impact, and Black celebrity co-signs." If you're going to quote me, quote me in context. Also, I never said Kevin Hart has never been funny. If you kept up with the convo, you'd see where I said I've been one of Kevin's main defenders for years when cats said he wasn't funny. When I said niggas ain't diggin his shit, I'm obviously referring to his current special. Which is the subject of this thread, and has been widely panned as unfunny. Your whole comment is moot.

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
You didn't negate anything. I said "opinion" in regards to Dave's "actual ratings, proven impact, and Black celebrity co-signs." If you're going to quote me, quote me in context. Also, I never said Kevin Hart has never been funny. If you kept up with the convo, you'd see where I said I've been one of Kevin's main defenders for years when cats said he wasn't funny. When I said niggas ain't diggin his shit, I'm obviously referring to his current special. Which is the subject of this thread, and has been widely panned as unfunny. Your whole comment is moot.

I don’t need to negate anything that you said, we just need to establish that everything that you said was your “Opinion”. Just like our recollection of Dave’s popularity and fan base was at that time.

So all that you said that wasn’t factual, was also moot.

Ming Fei Hong

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Everything you are saying is your opinion and you haven't backed anything you said up by numbers. I'm not even asking you to because you wouldn't be able to easily do it. You haven't explained where Dave would have gotten this major exposure to a Black audience from and all of my examples say he would have a very limited exposure unlike other comedian's of the 90s which he was clearly a part. He had not done anything impactful until maybe Killing Them Softly. BET was a major outlet for black people. This is not up for debate because it is a fact.it doesn't matter how big it was compared to other networks. We are talking about the likely hood of black entertainers being easily seen by black audiences. Other outlets for black entertainers would have been the early days of WB and UPN. Damon Waynes and DL had multiple seasons on ABC. Dave wasn't on those outlets either. Remember I'm talking about exposure to the black audience.where did Dave show up? Comedy Central a network that was mainly being watched for a South Park and probably didn't have a massive black audience for their network pre-Chappelle Show.

At no point did I compare Def Jam to Comic View so you're right its not up for debate. The discussion is not about which is the bigger platform. As I've already said Dave performance wasn't memorable compared to other acts on the show. He was just another Comedian on there a wasn't considered special by the black community.

You attempted to use the JaRule joke and Block party as your reason for Dave having a big Black fan base pre-Chappelle Show yet those examples happen after Chappelle Show started and I believe after the second season.your examples of know artists coming on Chappelle Show is also weak for the reasons I stated earlier. You don't need to be a fan of someone's work to be paid to work on their show.

Your best bet would be Killing Them Softly as far as showing up clearly for Dave. The problem with using this is that special wasn't talked about by black people when compared to specials done by Eddie Murphy, Martin Lawrence, Damon Waynes, Chris Rock or the kings of Comedy. I'm not comparing their careers or how funny they are to Dave. I'm only speaking on having a clear and strong black audience. You can say Chris had a short career but who was the bigger star and was a house hold name in the black community pre-Chappelle Show? Dave has the exact career path as any other comedian. You're only saying touring is his B&B based of the last few years. Keep mind Dave by choice or by being blackballed wasn't doing movies or TV and rarely did live shows for years after Chappelle Show. Again even if i were going to agree that touring is his bread and butter we are talking about pre-Chappelle Show and its a given that he was on stage more especially considering he was not a household name yet. Again the normal career path for comedians.

You haven't shown any numbers showing the black community supported Dave and you
haven't shown any pre-Chappelle Show co-signs from celebrities. You haven't even been able to get anyone to cosign your opinion on here that Dave had a major black audience pre-Chappelle Show and yet other comedian's seem to support my opinion. To be fair of the top of my head Fazion was one of the said comedians and he is seen as a hater, but just because the person is seen as a hater doesn't mean it's not the truth in their words.

Saying I wasn't a fan of Dave pre-Chappelle Show which isn't true doesn't change how Dave was viewed during the 90s pre-Chappelle Show. Dave never came up in any talks in the 90s or pre-Chappelle Show when other black comedians were being talked about;not even as a comedian actor that i can remember. Every time you try to give examples you end up talking about things that happened during or after the Chappelle Show.
You're literally just repeating the same lengthy diatribe. You could just as well copy/paste it. Might as well. There is no evidence short of an actual scientific poll conducted at that time of Black people on what they thought of Dave Chappelle that you'll accept, and you'd probably even reject that. Dave's career speaks for itself, and there's never been a time when Black America thought he was unfunny. Unknown, yes, but not unfunny. Arguing that Dave wasn't fully embraced at a time when he also wasn't a household name makes no sense. You're comparing Dave early in his career to Kevin at the pinnacle of his career being told he's not doing the one thing he's supposed to do--be funny.

Everyone's been unknown at some point. Even Obama had to win over Black votes from Hillary with his Iowa victory, but only a fool would think that's relevant to where he landed in the hearts of Black America. While you're quibbling about where they started, there's no debate about where they landed... Dave is a GOAT and Kevin is a gimmick. The latter ran its course, and he's whining about it instead of going back to the lab & recapturing HIS mojo, not Dave's. Stop making so many excuses for a grown ass man who'd call you crab ass nigga for any criticism, no matter how constructive. Kevin may be a popular, profitable brand, but so is McDonalds. That man needs to step his game up, and y'all making excuses for him ain't helping him do that.

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I agree with most of what you said accept the 53,000 people part.. Dane cook and Amy were doing 5 fig shows and those fuckers aren’t funny.. not saying Kevin is garbage like them just saying you can actually not be universally funny and draw crowds

If 53 thousand people pay to see a comedian, those people think that person’s funny. Amy sold out MSG twice, those 40 thousand people thought she was funny. Dane Cook sold out MSG, those people thought he was funny.

All three comedians had sold out tours, millions of people think\thought that they were funny.

They might not be funny to you and me, but millions of others think\thought that they were funny.

Ming Fei Hong

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I don’t need to negate anything that you said, we just need to establish that everything that you said was your “Opinion”. Just like our recollection of Dave’s popularity and fan base was at that time.

So all that you said that wasn’t factual, was also moot.
You literally said "let me go ahead and nullify everything you just said." :hmm:

Again, pointing out Dave's run of successful projects & popularity with high profile Black personalities isn't my opinion. Those are facts. What's "opinion" is whatever analysis I extrapolate from those facts. Never said all opinions are moot. So, your argument makes no sense. I'm saying a specific set of opinions exposed about a specific point of contention do not negate the facts presented to the contrary.

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yeppppp... I was 1 of the few that actually seen half bake in the movies.. that shit got taken out the theatre in less than 6 weeks.. I got it on vhs as soon as it came out and brought screwed on dvd.. most people don’t even know what “screwed” is.. I seen men in tights when it first hit hbo.. i actually was more hyped to see blue streak cause Chapelle was gonna be in it than Martin.. my friends use to be like your boy in such a such movie cause they knew I liked his brand of comedy.. in fact only reason why me and 4 of my other boys seen half baked was cause I recommend it..everybody else was like nig you better hope this movie good cause we not trying to waste free tix.. the movie fortunately won them over especially when they did the nyc nod to the less than $5 date.. lot of nigs wasn’t huge fans of that dude until Chappelle show.. hell I know mad people that literally were like yooo now I see why you was a fan of his all these yrs ..Chappelle show put him on the radar to a broader audience.. I can bet most people didn’t even see half bake until they saw Chappelle show or watch his old standup until Chappelle show

giphy.gif

Everything you said is what I’m saying!

Ming Fei Hong

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
If 53 thousand people pay to see a comedian, those people think that person’s funny. Amy sold out MSG twice, those 40 thousand people thought she was funny. Dane Cook sold out MSG, those people thought he was funny.

All three comedians had sold out tours, millions of people think\thought that they were funny.

They might not be funny to you and me, but millions of others think\thought that they were funny.
53k people walking into a show thinking a comedian is funny doesn't tell us what those 53k people thought of the show after the fact. Kevin's prior funny material can pack the house, yes, but his problem has increasingly been bad reviews. Which come after the show.

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
You literally said "let me go ahead and nullify everything you just said." :hmm:

Again, pointing out Dave's run of successful projects & popularity with high profile Black personalities isn't my opinion. Those are facts. What's "opinion" is whatever analysis I extrapolate from those facts. Never said all opinions are moot. So, your argument makes no sense. I'm saying a specific set of opinions exposed about a specific point of contention do not negate the facts presented to the contrary.

Because you nullify everything we’re saying because it’s our “Opinion”. So it’s only right that we do the same to you.

You have several people telling you basically the same thing but nothing that we’re saying makes any difference in your opinion.

Dave had 20 pilots that didn’t get picked up. He wasn’t as hot on these streets that you’re trying to make him out to be.

But carry on

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

So by your definition this recent Kevin hart standup was funny.. cause if 2 million people watched it and 40,000 liked it than that means it was funny even if 1.96 million thought it was trash

Ming Fei Hong

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This is literally the crux of my point... it's one thing to be unknown to a broad Black audience, another to be unfunny to a broad Black audience. It's not that Dave was a household name in Black homes before Chapelle show. It's that he was considered funny by those who did know him, and well respected by other more well-known Black comics. So, by the time Chapelle Show propelled him to stardom, folk were able to go back and see how funny he was all along. The difference with Kevin Hart is a reverse trajectory. Whereas the more folk get to know Dave, the more they like him/his work. The more they get to know Kevin, the less they like him/his work. That's not always been the case for Kevin, but he IS on a downslide and he knows it.

Ming Fei Hong

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Because you nullify everything we’re saying because it’s our “Opinion”. So it’s only right that we do the same to you.

You have several people telling you basically the same thing but nothing that we’re saying makes any difference in your opinion.

Dave had 20 pilots that didn’t get picked up. He wasn’t as hot on these streets that you’re trying to make him out to be.

But carry on
I'm sure in your mind you think you're doing the same, but nope... all you're doing is misapplying a point you missed altogether. I never said Dave was "hot in the streets." I said Dave's appeal didn't begin with the Chappelle Show. Clearly, he'd put in work beforehand. His mass appeal obviously came with Chappelle Show, but it was his prior grind that earned him the show. Jordan missed the finals 9x (7x before his first ring). Dave not being as popular before the Chappelle Show doesn't mean he was not considered funny before then. "Funny" (or not) is the center of the entire dust up with Kevin vs Dave. Nobody expects Kevin to be Dave. They expect Kevin to be funny. Dave is funny.