Why they building these cheap homes and selling them for 200k, so you agree with him?

da_monumental_1

LinuxGawd & BOFH
BGOL Investor
That's not particle board. That's strand board.

This is particle board.

particle_board.jpg

This is strand board. It's actually stronger than regular plywood.

OSB_board.jpg

Llano

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
That's not particle board. That's strand board.

This is particle board.

particle_board.jpg

This is strand board. It's actually stronger than regular plywood.

OSB_board.jpg

He still has a point though, homes today are built way cheaper. There was an article I read a couple years back that pointed out in a study how newer homes burn down 40% faster compared to homes built prior to the 90's.

big enos burrnet

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
he has a valid point,,that strand board is cheap and dont let it get a lil water on it then that shit will mold on you quick..even the foundation
there using that cheap cement and it will crack..all the materials they using are cheap its just like he say's the home builders are greedy...i use to
watch this sub division being built a block over from me when i was staying in smyrna G.A i would just shake my head how fast they was building
them cheap homes and had the nerve to ask for a half of mill for that shit....

D24OHA

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
House didn't have no brick, stone, or cement siding.

Thats what I'd be mad about.... man they've got some new homes popping up in Strongsville a pretty nice $$$uburb south of Cleveland....these mfkrs going for low-mid $300K, not a brick or stone in sight...all wood/strand board and vinyl siding....now do we have to worry about hurricanes / tornadoes...not not really. But its the principle

da_monumental_1

LinuxGawd & BOFH
BGOL Investor
He still has a point though, homes today are built way cheaper. There was an article I read a couple years back that pointed out in a study how newer homes burn down 40% faster compared to homes built prior to the 90's.

There's nothing stopping you from telling your GC to use plywood. They'd be more than happy to add the extra cost. That article you read is sponsored by Underwriters Laboratories who want to slap their "certification" on every product on the planet. This burning down faster stuff was started by them because most of the manufacturers told them to kiss their ass. They fail to inform the reader about the true cause, flashover, which has zero to do with real vs. synthetic material. Nor do they inform the reader than furniture fires, the primary cause of fires in homes, are down three-quarters of what they used to be and fire fatalities dropping more than half of what it was in the 80s. It has as much validity as the old vs. new car safety myth.

You know what's even funnier? They used to say the same shit about plywood being used for sheathing when my grandfather was working in the 60s.

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
hes right tho. Florida folks know all too well about this. Now Florida is trying to make all new homes built to be Hurricane proof but its too late. tens of thousands of homes have been built like this

34real

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
He has a very good point and it sounds like he's from the south also,you think them shits will hold up during a hurricane?riiiight.

My question is what's actually made to last in 2020?from homes to cars to electronics and furniture ?I purchased new furniture in 2014,shit new hardly used by me at all and the draws are all off with nothing in them...I would pay more to have it last me longer,fuck made in China.

BKF

Rising Star
Registered
Thats what I'd be mad about.... man they've got some new homes popping up in Strongsville a pretty nice $$$uburb south of Cleveland....these mfkrs going for low-mid $300K, not a brick or stone in sight...all wood/strand board and vinyl siding....now do we have to worry about hurricanes / tornadoes...not not really. But its the principle
Supply and demand.

Llano

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
hes right tho. Florida folks know all too well about this. Now Florida is trying to make all new homes built to be Hurricane proof but its too late. tens of thousands of homes have been built like this

There are homes in Jamaica and the islands that have stood tall through all kinds of hurricanes. My brother told me they put steel beams deep in the ground to secure the foundation.

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
There are homes in Jamaica and the islands that have stood tall through all kinds of hurricanes. My brother told me they put steel beams deep in the ground to secure the foundation.

They dig 6 foot trenches. PUt down steel beams, filled with concrete. Thats how houses should be built when in a Hurricane zone. The roofs in the third world tho....thats a real issue.

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
Well I think he has a point, I remember people telling me this back in the 90's & 00's how cheaply built these newer homes are. There was a class action lawsuit here in Atlanta about homes made out of stucco.

So even if it’s 2000, just think that was 20 years ago

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
They dig 6 foot trenches. PUt down steel beams, filled with concrete. Thats how houses should be built when in a Hurricane zone. The roofs in the third world tho....thats a real issue.

Yea I can co-sign, my peeps getting a home build in Trinidad at the moment. A 2 story house, it been crazy watching that happen.

phanatic

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

I've been in these types of homes for work, and we refer to them as gingerbread homes. My house was made in the 40s, and other than repairing leaks and updating outlets, the crib is super solid and it doesn't look like every other home in the neighborhood.

mrcmd187

Controversy Creates Cash
BGOL Investor
Been asking that for years, most houses for about the last few years cost around 50 to 55K(basic with no basement) to build but are sold for 250k. All the material is pre-fabricated to cut building time down. The house they built next to mine(4 bedroom 1 car garage)was built in less than a month but with a small backyard., been noticing instead of fixing up old houses they tear them down and building these new cheap to build houses in their place. The problem that they have been running into here in VA lately is running new plumbing to old plumbing that starts backing up and is not covered in most home owners, been helping my neighbor repairing alot during the summer for between $1800 to $2500 a pop :money: since alot of companies would work due to the virus.

Llano

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Been asking that for years, most houses for about the last few years cost around 50 to 55K(basic with no basement) to build but are sold for 250k. All the material is pre-fabricated to cut building time down. The house they built next to mine(4 bedroom 1 car garage)was built in less than a month but with a small backyard., been noticing instead of fixing up old houses they tear them down and building these new cheap to build houses in their place.

Thats why me & my business partner are going to try to buy up cheap lots in a desirable area.

Like you said you can get a cheap pre- fabricated home built, make it look shiny inside and make out like bandits with profits.

D24OHA

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
My banker just told me yesterday it was a buyers market.

Him and his wife just got into a home for right under 2%. :dunno:

Financing must be real sweet right now....

Interest rates are down from what I hear but inventory is down also

Had 3 homes on the street all go within 15 days of being on the market...with a nice lil uptick in value....

If we didn't have a very young child...wifey and I were talking about taking the leap as well.

Had a family member in Columbus just sell a house for damn near 50K over what she paid back in '05. And they didn't do any upgrades besides the washer and dryer....crazy

Last edited:

A to Dah K

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
There also use cinderblock and rebar to build, not wood

mcguyver

Rising Star
OG Investor
That dude was obnoxious to listen to.

This ain't the 40's and 50's where all homes were brick and a buick was made out of steel and weighed 7,000lbs.

Shit is lighter and more cost effective than back in the day.

Somebody tell gramps to STFU!

He has a point. My sister's house was built about 10yrs ago and the siding is warping, carpet is bunching up, sheetrock is thin as fuck,

lightbright

Master Pussy Poster
BGOL Investor
That dude was obnoxious to listen to.

This ain't the 40's and 50's where all homes were brick and a buick was made out of steel and weighed 7,000lbs.

Shit is lighter and more cost effective than back in the day.

Somebody tell gramps to STFU!
You wouldn't even believe my 6 family..... 1929 and filled with solid oak..... it would cost a fortune to use the same materials today.....

He has a point. My sister's house was built about 10yrs ago and the siding is warping, carpet is bunching up, sheetrock is thin as fuck,
Your sister got robbed mac