Yeah Most Atlanta folks knew this she just confirmed it

muckraker10021

Superstar *****
BGOL Investor
I didn't realize that Atlanta could soon have a cac mayor in control ; $648.6 million annual budget. I though the Atlanta Black elites & bourgeois had a lock on Atlanta

Didn't realize Atlanta $$$$$ budget was so small. New York City annual budget is $82 Billion

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I didn't realize that Atlanta could soon have a cac mayor in control ; $648.6 million annual budget. I though the Atlanta Black elites & bourgeois had a lock on Atlanta

Didn't realize Atlanta $$$$$ budget was so small. New York City annual budget is $82 Billion

Black folk don't control anything in Atlanta.

That went away with Maynard Jackson.

easy_b

Look into my eyes you are getting sleepy!!!
BGOL Investor

Mary blew her chance when she was kissing Trump ass but remember the city is still 54-55 % black the CAC’s that are in the city are mostly liberal. Eventually Atlanta will have a white mayor but they have to be liberal

easy_b

BGOL Investor
Black folk don't control anything in Atlanta.

That went away with Maynard Jackson.
We still have control of Atlanta for the most part but the actual control is actually with the county we pulling a lot of strings especially the south county and the Central County.

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
but the actual control is actually with the county we pulling a lot of strings especially the south county and the Central County.

Do those residing in the South & Central County areas vote in the municipal election ??? (just asking)

easy_b

BGOL Investor
Do those residing in the South & Central County areas vote in the municipal election ??? (just asking)

Yes they Because they just voted A few months ago to make another black city and called South Fulton

easy_b

BGOL Investor
That's Fulton County, not the city of Atlanta.
Yes that’s what I was talking about The county. Fulton county southern cities are heavily black and they come out and vote for the most part

Camille

Kitchen Wench #TeamQuaid
Staff member
I just showed up to express my shock and disbelief that easy_b actually posted a political thread in the political forum. I'm playing the lottery this week.

easy_b

BGOL Investor
I just showed up to express my shock and disbelief that easy_b actually posted a political thread in the political forum. I'm playing the lottery this week.
This subject require some heavy political thought from what Mary tried to pull

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yes that’s what I was talking about The county. Fulton county southern cities are heavily black and they come out and vote for the most part

Not necessarily.

Although these are northern Fulton county cites, Johns Creek, Alpharetta and Sandy Springs don't have very large "Black" populations. They are independent cities within Fulton County.

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

No. These independent municipalities do not vote in the Atlanta mayoral election.

The city of Atlanta has become pretty much parity between "Black" and "white" so called racial groups.

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Recount looms in too-close-to-call Atlanta mayor's race

BBGhze8.img

Atlanta mayoral candidate Keisha Lance Bottoms and her family prepare to enter the
gym of Fickett Elementary School to vote during the Atlanta mayoral run-off election,
Tuesday, Dec. 5, 2017 in Atlanta. Voters are deciding between Bottoms and Mary Norwood.
(Alyssa Pointer/Atlanta Journal-Constitution via AP)

ATLANTA (AP) — The race for mayor in Atlanta early Wednesday was too close to call, with one candidate declaring herself the city's new leader and the other vowing to request a recount.

The margin was razor-thin, with several hundred votes separating Keisha Lance Bottoms and Mary Norwood.

Bottoms spoke early Wednesday at an Atlanta hotel, saying near the end of her speech that "I am just in awe of what God is able to do."

"I'm so honored to be your 60th mayor," she told her cheering supporters.

But Norwood took the podium at her own rally and said that absentee ballots from military members were yet to figure in the totals, and she believes some ballots have yet to be tabulated.

"We will be asking for a recount," Norwood said.

Just 759 votes separated the candidates early Wednesday morning, Norwood told supporters.

Bottoms led Norwood by a margin of less than 1 percent, which is the threshold where the second-place finisher can request a recount under state law.

The contest between Bottoms, who is black, and Norwood, who is white, was seen as a test of the staying power of a long-dominant black political machine amid profound demographic and economic changes.

Both women are Atlanta city council members. Norwood calls herself an independent and Bottoms is the chosen successor of outgoing Mayor Kasim Reed.

A victory for Bottoms, 47, would continue a run of African-American mayors that began with Maynard Jackson in the mid-1970s.

A win for Norwood, 65, would give Atlanta its first-ever white female mayor, and end the Democratic Party's hold on an office it has held without interruption since 1879.

A half-century after white flight led to sprawl that fueled legendary traffic jams, Atlanta is booming economically and growing at a breakneck pace, with townhouses and apartments going up in vacant lots all over town. Parts of the city are more diverse, younger and wealthier than they have been in years.

Political analysts have said African-American voters will ultimately determine the outcome, but many of the city's most formidable challenges transcend race. Everyone seems to care about transportation, public safety and affordable housing. As rents and home prices soar, some longtime residents struggle to stay in their neighborhoods, and face no easy commutes if they move out.

"We're behind the times in terms of having a modern transportation system compared to what you see in New York or Washington," said Kendra A. King Momon, professor of politics at Oglethorpe University in Atlanta.

"It impacts quality of life because most of us don't know what we're going to run into when we head into the city," she said of Atlanta's notorious traffic jams. "That's a huge issue that we have to address."

A big question is whether an ongoing federal probe of corruption in city contracting under Reed's watch will encourage voters to take a fresh look at Norwood, despite fears that as an independent who lives in the upscale Buckhead area of the city, she'll turn out to be a stealth Republican who will serve up City Hall to Georgia's deep-red political apparatus.

As voters went to the polls Tuesday, none spoke openly of race.

"Just listening to Keisha and comparing what she said to the words of Ms. Norwood, I felt like she shared my values more," said Barbara McFarlin, a 50-year-old black woman who lives in the southwest Atlanta district Bottoms has represented on the city council.

James Parson, a 49-year-old black man who also lives in Bottoms' district, said he's been friends with Norwood for three decades and appreciates how she's made herself available to constituents all over the city as an at-large council member.

"I love that Mary is connected to most of the communities in Atlanta, if not all of them," he said. "She's approachable. She has been here. She's no Johnny-come-lately."

Atlanta's last white mayor, Sam Massell, left office in 1974 and was succeeded by five African-American mayors in the next four decades: Jackson, Andrew Young, Bill Campbell, Shirley Franklin and Reed. Regardless of who wins, Atlanta will have its second female mayor, following Franklin who left office in 2010.

Jeffrey Brower, 45, a white man who lives in the East Atlanta neighborhood, said he voted for Norwood, but that his vote was more a vote against Bottoms and Reed. Bottoms is too close to Reed and would be like an extension of the current administration, he said.

"Kasim seemed to be more about what's best for Kasim than what's best for the city," Brower said.

___

Associated Press writers Kate Brumback and Errin Haines Whack contributed to this report.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...rs-race/ar-BBGf4Gn?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

muckraker10021

Superstar *****
BGOL Investor
2017 Atlanta seems to me totally racially polarized, cac areas voted for the republiklan white lady, Blacks voted for Bottoms.
Dr King's dream is just a mirage in his home town. I read that some Black leaders including a former Black mayor supported Norwood??? Atlanta peeps, please explain

atlanta_election.jpg

easy_b

BGOL Investor
2017 Atlanta seems to me totally racially polarized, cac areas voted for the republiklan white lady, Blacks voted for Bottoms.
Dr King's dream is just a mirage in his home town. I read that some Black leaders including a former Black mayor supported Norwood??? Atlanta peeps, please explain

atlanta_election.jpg
Someone explain this in another post but their is a New black political power and a old black political power in Atlanta. The new generation is Kasim Reed and the old guards do not like him. Kasim Reed has his ways but when he came into office in 2009 Atlanta was almost on the verge of bankruptcy now going out the door this city has 2 or 3 Hundred million sitting in the bank and And a triple A plus credit rating. In a nutshell The old black power structure of Atlanta didn’t have faith in their own people and they are going to pay a big price.

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Atlanta is polarized because the Black communities are not sharing in the economic prosperity. Home values are not rising at the same rate in the Black neighborhoods as they are in the white neighborhoods.

Very few good paying non college degree jobs are being created.

There is a plethora of new expensive homes and high rent apartments being built in Atlanta and few affordable apartments being built.

Atlanta is is becoming increasingly majority white and rich.

This is why Atlanta is polarized.

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Details about Atlanta’s official Mayor-elect Keisha Lance Bottoms

By Yvette Caslin | December 13, 2017 7:44 AM EST

Keisha-Lance-Bottoms-960x938.jpg

Keisha Lance Bottoms (Photo credit: Press Image)

Atlanta’s Fulton and DeKalb County Boards of Elections has certified the Dec. 5 runoff election between mayoral candidates Keisha Lance Bottoms and Mary Norwood. The difference in votes between Mayor-elect Bottoms and her dogged opponent Norwood is larger than previously reported. On election night, Bottoms led with a 759-vote difference. That number is now 833, an increase of 74 votes.

This is the final count with all of the votes in both counties totaled, so reportedly Norwood is putting in a formal request for a recount. The results will be in by Friday, Dec. 15, 2017.

Fulton County Elections Director Rick Barron tells 11Alive’s Doug Richard, “We’re going to recount every single vote that was tallied. We’ll upload all of the votes off of the electronic media and we’ll recount all of the ballots.”

This publication has moved on. It’s been called and Bottoms is Atlanta’s 60th mayor. In fact, she has already moved into her transition office at City Hall.

Here are a few fun facts about Atlanta’s second female mayor, Keisha Lance Bottoms:

• The Beatles’ Elton John got his start playing piano behind her dad, Major Lance, who was an iconic figure in Britain in the 1970s among followers of Northern soul.

• She is married to Derek Bottoms, their four adopted children, threes sons Lance, Langston, twins Lennox and Lincoln (her only daughter).

• When she is sworn in January 2018, she will be the first native-born resident of Atlanta to serve as mayor since Sam Massell, Atlanta’s last White mayor.

• She graduated from Frederick Douglass High School in Atlanta in 1987.

• She is a class of 1991 graduate from and HBCU, Florida A&M University, where she studied broadcast journalism. She earned her law degree at Georgia State University College of Law.

• Lance Bottoms was initiated into the Beta Alpha chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc. in spring 1990.

• She has practiced law for more than 20 years and has served as a judge (Pro Hoc) in Fulton County State Court.​

https://rollingout.com/2017/12/13/details-atlantas-official-mayor-elect-keisha-lance-bottoms/

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator

Atlanta Mayor Sends Message to Trump:
She Won’t Allow ICE Detainees to Be Housed in City’s Jails

ikfg4n4spiupy56k8vpb.jpg

Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms - Photo: David Goldman (AP Images)

On Wednesday, newly elected Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms announced that she is no longer allowing city jails to accept detainees from U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

On the same day that the president signed an executive order that would stop the separation of children from their loved ones at the U.S. border, Bottoms signed her own executive order to stop Atlanta jails from accepting migrants detained by ICE until she knows for sure that the separation policy has, in fact, ended.

ad

According to The Hill, Bottoms, like many people across the United States, has been horrified by the Trump administration’s separation and subsequent treatment of the children of migrant families.

“As we work as a nation to end this despicable immigration policy, the city of Atlanta will not take the risk of being complicit in the separation of families at the border,” she said in the statement, The Hill reports.

The mayor said she hopes that Atlanta’s refusal to house detainees doesn’t result in migrants “being sent to private, substandard, for-profit facilities,” but added that the Trump administration’s inability to create an effective solution to family separation “demands that Atlanta act now.”

“On behalf of the people of Atlanta, I am calling upon the Trump administration and Congress to enact humane and comprehensive measures that address our broken immigration system,” Bottoms said.

While Trump has signed a temporary stopgap regarding family separation that includes gray-area language that may lead to families being housed indefinitely, Bottoms is not waiting until the president and his band of white nationalist Keystone Cops find their way.

And, once again, America is being shown the way by a black woman.

https://www.theroot.com/atlanta-mayor-sends-message-to-trump-that-she-won-t-all-1827030579