Vintage Black Glamour

Camille

Kitchen Wench #TeamQuaid
Staff member
EDIT: I'VE CORRECTED MY LINKS SO THEY DISPLAY PROPERLY, BUT MANY IMAGES AREN'T DISPLAYING BECAUSE OF THE NEW FORUM FORMAT. SO IF YOU POSTED A PIC, AND REMEMBER THE SOURCE PLEASEEEEEE UPDATE IT. :)

Awesome Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/VintageBlackGlamour

I'd been following her on twitter for a while, didn't know she had the facebook page until tonight.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/VintageBlkGlam

Book coming next year. http://vintageblackglamourbook.com/ I plan to purchase to support.

Peep the pics...

Nelson Mandela

Hazel Scott

“Any woman who has a great deal to offer the world is in trouble. And if she’s a black woman, she’s in deep trouble.” ~ Hazel Scott

Pam Grier

Harry Belafonte and Martin Luther King, Jr.

Lena Horne

Della Reese in the 1950's

Cab Calloway, Eartha Kit, Cary Grant

Sidney Poitier and Eartha Kitt in Mark of the Hawk 1957

Mr. Poitier portrayed a London-born African who returns home for a political position. His character’s name? Wait for it… Obam. Eartha Kitt plays his stylish wife Rene

1930's Harlem River Candid Shot

Tina Turner!!​

Many, MANY more @ sourcelink https://www.facebook.com/VintageBlackGlamour

Last edited:

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
"Sassy"

The late great Sarah Vaughan
1471948_557233427699232_941093893_n.jpg

Last edited:

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
My mom and Eartha Kitt are from the same home town in South Carolina, my mom being several years older.

1425707_681103428596190_1920845908_n.jpg

Last edited:

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Maya Angelou doing a little reading in her room before her performance at the Village Vanguard in New York City. Long before she was a poet and writer and the icon we know today, Dr. Angelou was a dancer and singer of folk and calypso songs (she even recorded an album in 1957 called "Miss Calypso" and appeared in the film "Calypso Heat Wave" that same year). This photo was taken by G. Marshall Wilson, who was a staff photographer at Ebony for 33 years. Photo: Art.com

1001599_678835022156364_282462442_n.jpg

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator

D O R O T H Y

g219387_u95597_dorothy_dandridge-thumb-350x481-27606.jpg

Dorothy-Dandridge-9542081-2-402.jpg

DD-opener-519x640.jpg

DD-dance.jpg

dd-dress-514x640.jpg

DANDRIDGE

Dorothy Dandridge was a fighter. Growing up in The Depression and making her way through Hollywood in the ‘40s, she encountered resistance — to her skin color, to her refusal to play demeaning roles — at every turn. She was assailed in the press for dating white men, and blamed herself for her husband’s philandering and her daughter’s brain damage. Nearly every societal convention was against her. And yet she managed to make a handful of gorgeous, invigorating films — films that offer a glimpse at the superstar she would have become if the studios knew what to do with with a beautiful black woman.

Her beauty was indeed phenomenal. She was called “the black Marilyn Monroe” and had flawless, radiant skin the black press referred to as “honey” and “cafe au lait.” And there was the certain way she took ownership of a room, with a reverberating, confident laugh and fierce, dazzling eyes. But being a black actor in the 1950s meant playing savages, slaves, and mamies — debasing roles that Dandridge refused on principle. In the films where she did get to play a a non-servant, non-exotic, non-savage, she was not allowed to do more than kiss, as the idea of a black woman in love was altogether too dangerous for the screen. “If I were white,” Dandridge explained, “I would capture the world.”

Dandridge was born in 1922 to Ruby Dandridge, a performer and aspiring actress. Ruby had left Dorothy’s father five months before, taking her other daughter, Vivian, with her. Both girls showed some sort of aptitude for performance — or maybe that aptitude was drilled into them — and one of Ruby’s friends, a woman named Geneva, moved in to help refine their singing and dancing skills. Years later, Dorothy and Vivian would figure out that Geneva was much more than her mother’s friend, but at the moment, she simply made them practice until they collapsed. Think wrist slaps and tears.

The girls became an act — “The Wonder Children” — and earned a spot with the National Baptist Convention touring churches throughout the South. This went on for three years, which sounds like a whole lot of churching, but Dorothy and Vivian no longer looked exactly like “children.” They added another girl, Etta Jones, to the act and became “The Dandridge Sisters,” touring all over California and eventually landing a gig at The Cotton Club. In short, the Dandridge girls spent their youth being corrected by their exacting stage mother, performing for church ladies, and receiving little to no schooling.

Extracted from: Scandals of Classic Hollywood: Dorothy Dandridge vs. The Worldhttp://thehairpin.com/2012/06/scandals-of-classic-hollywood-dorothy-dandridge-vs-the-world

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
1381502_650820898291110_130106557_n.png

Janelle Commissiong, Miss Universe 1977 of Trinidad and Tobago (the first Black winner of that pageant) with Michael Jackson in 1978 in her home country.

BigATLslim

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
When this drops, I'm coppin' it, but I will be adding myself to the facebook page now.

She have an instagram, too? That will float her brand tremendously!

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Without apology,

Many May Not Have Deemed Her Glamorous

Juanita Moore, Groundbreaking Actress, Dies at 99

moore022way_custom-0ab63e7d69984ab5dfc690cfbdedd699d7e94eaa-s6-c85.jpg

In the 1959 film, Imitation of Life:

Juanita-Moore-in-Imitatio-011.jpg

03-JM-juanitamoore-imitationoflife.jpg

Juanita%20Web.jpg

04-JM-juanitamoore-imitationoflife.jpg

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_fP1Tezqwuo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

From its earliest days, Hollywood, which has always lagged behind wider social advances, limited the roles of black actors to stock, wide-eyed cowards, simpletons or servants, often referred to as "uncles" and "mammies". Juanita Moore, who has died aged 99, suffered from this limitation by having to play maids throughout most of her long career. However, Moore could have echoed what Hattie McDaniel, the first African-American actor to win an Academy Award, once said: "Why should I complain about making $700 a week playing a maid? If I didn't, I'd be making $7 a week being one."

Where McDaniel as Mammy, Scarlett O'Hara's lovable, sassy servant in Gone With the Wind (1939) was the apotheosis of the black maid, Moore's Oscar-nominated portrayal of Annie Johnson, housekeeper to the glamorous Broadway star Lora Meredith (Lana Turner) in Douglas Sirk's Imitation of Life (1959), was the most substantial, progressive and sympathetic version.

Moore was only the fourth black Oscar nominee, male or female, in the 20 years since McDaniel's victory. Although Hollywood was part of an ideological superstructure, still projecting a largely conservative, white, middle-class view of the world, the superior melodrama Imitation of Life dared to deal with racism. Despite rigidly knowing their places, Annie and Lora are close friends, each having trouble with their daughters. Annie's light-skinned daughter, Sarah Jane (Susan Kohner), rejects her mother in an attempt to pass as a white woman. Moore commented: "My husband's mother was Caucasian and so I was living that kind of thing with my husband prior to Imitation of Life: one family black, one family white."

Moore brings great warmth, charm and sensitivity to the part of the saintly, self-sacrificing Annie. "I think my part was the greatest dramatic role ever given to an actress of my race and I was determined to do it justice," she remarked. Unforgettable is the scene in which she painfully stands by as Sarah Jane, working in a nightclub, introduces her mother to her white colleagues as her old nanny. On her deathbed, Annie forgives her errant daughter. "Tell her I know I was selfish – and if I loved her too much, I'm sorry – but I didn't mean to cause her any trouble. She was all I had."

Moore remembered that Sirk was patient with her: "There were times I was so nervous the muscles were jumping in my face. One day I cried all day long, yet he didn't fire me. During my dying scene, Sirk said: 'Juanita, you got to remember you are dying not crying.'"

She was grateful for the role of her life. "They auditioned a lot of people before casting me in the part," she recalled. "Pearl Bailey was their first choice. But producer Ross Hunter really wanted me. I have been in a lot of pictures. However, most of them consisted of my opening doors for white people."

Born in Los Angeles, Moore started her career in her teens, dancing at the Cotton Club in Harlem, New York. She then returned to LA, where she got jobs as a movie extra, and was seen as a chorus girl in the Sharp as a Tack number in Star Spangled Rhythm (1942), Paramount's all-star variety show, and in the all-black-cast musical Cabin in the Sky (1943). Gradually, Moore began to get a few small speaking parts, such as a nurse in Elia Kazan's Pinky (1949), a precursor of Imitation of Life.

At the same time, Moore was a member of the Ebony Showcase theatre, Los Angeles, founded by Nick and Edna Stewart, which provided a venue for black performers to play the types of roles they were denied elsewhere.

In films, it was back to stereotypes, tending to shift between the African jungle and the boudoir: a native girl in Tarzan and the Jungle Queen (1951); maid to a southern belle played by Virginia Mayo in The Iron Mistress (1952). In Affair in Trinidad (1952), Moore had a key role – though way down the credits – as Rita Hayworth's intuitive maid, Dominique, who says: "It is the prerogative of a faithful and loyal servant to be impertinent." In slight contrast, she was a patient in a psychiatric hospital to which Barbara Stanwyck has been committed in Witness to Murder (1954) and a convict called Polyclinic Jones – "named after the hospital where she was born" – in Women's Prison (1955), first seen scrubbing floors and singing Swing Low Sweet Chariot.

Unfortunately, after her triumph in Imitation of Life, Moore's film and television roles were only marginally bigger and better. "I think I made less money after that, to tell you the truth, because I thought I was going to make more money with better parts and things like that but found myself right back making minimum." She was the sweet Sister Mary in The Singing Nun (1966) and a feisty mother in Up Tight (1968), Jules Dassin's transposition of Liam O'Flaherty's The Informer from Dublin to a black ghetto of Cleveland, Ohio. On television, she appeared in several episodes of The Alfred Hitchcock Hour (1963-65), among other series.

Moore got more satisfaction from her stage role as the strong and devoted matriarch Mama Lena in Lorraine Hansberry's A Raisin in the Sun, which ran at the Adelphi theatre in London in 1959. On Broadway, she played Sister Boxer in James Baldwin's The Amen Corner (1965).

In the 70s, Moore profited somewhat from the wave of blaxploitation movies, mostly in long-suffering maternal roles. In The Mack (1973), Moore played the mother of a pimp (Max Julien) whom she expects to lead a respectable life. The following year, she was in Thomasine and Bushrod, based on Bonnie and Clyde; and Abby, based on The Exorcist – and was also inducted into the Black Filmmakers Hall of Fame.

She continued to appear in films and television until 2001, her last movie role being the wise grandmother in the time-travel film The Kid (2000).

Moore's husband, Charles Burns, died in 2001.

• Juanita Moore, actor, born 19 October 1914; died 1 January 2014

SOURCE: Juanita Moore obituary -- Oscar-nominated actor who brought sensitivity and warmth to her most famous role in Imitation of Life

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Lena Horne with the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. at a party Ms. Horne gave in his honor in New York City in 1963.

1609839_703662946340238_1160205102_n.jpg

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
nprlogo_138x46.gif

'Vintage Black Glamour' Exposes Little-Known Cultural History

". . . I was scrolling through my Tumblr feed a year or so ago, when I saw a photo of Joyce Bryant. The caption said she was once dubbed the "black Marilyn Monroe" and was mentioned many times in Walter Winchell's gossip column.

But, I had never heard of or seen Bryant before. It's reactions like mine that led 42-year-old writer Nichelle Gainer to start a book project showcasing a collection of rarely seen historical photos of actors, educators, writers, students, musicians and more — all African-American . . ."

tumblr_lfcpcaE0Xf1qgtqgzo1_500.jpg

Joyce Bryant

cCOLLAGE.JPG

bCOLLAGE.JPG

joyce_bryant.jpeg

the%20legendary%20Joyce%20Bryant.JPG

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/15bMg8bnetw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

50's cabaret and nightclub sensation, Joyce Bryant, also known as
the "Bronze Blonde Bombshell". Miss Bryant left the stage at the
height of her career because she was unable to reconcile her
hyper-sexual image with her Christian faith. 'Love For Sale' was
banned from the radio because it was thought too provocative by
censors.
Bryant was under consideration for the lead role in the
musical 'Carmen Jones' which ultimately went to Dorothy Dandridge.

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
(Lady Day), Billie Holiday began her singing career at Harlem’s jazz club Pod’s and Jerry’s in 1931.
billie-holiday-on-stage-sized.jpg

melonpecan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Joyce Bryant...I knew I had seen that face somewhere before...

c9ff5083e997b433ceae446e46fc145b.jpg

0b48af1ac9dcf13dcef951907331e593.jpg

Her dressmaker also made the Playboy Bunny outfits, and dressed some other greats as well including Fitzgerald:

902fda2f5570aa5cc35457fe6ad89933.jpg

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Nina Mae McKinney (June 13, 1912 – May 3, 1967). One of the first African American movie stars.

Her debut on Broadway was dancing in a chorus line of the hit musical Blackbirds of 1928. This show starred Bill "Bojangles" Robinson and Adelaide Hall. Her performance landed her a leading role in Hallelujah (1929), which made her the first African-American actress to hold a principal role in a mainstream film.

Work was hard to come by in Hollywood because not many movies were interracial, and it was difficult for African-American actors, actresses, directors, writers, and producers to find enough work. Especially for African-American women, breaking out into a major role was hard because there were not many choices for roles a woman of color could play. Also with the adoption of the Production Code Administration (PCA) of 1934, this forbade miscegenation.

She left for Europe in the mid 1930s and was nicknamed the “Black Garbo” and found some success in the fledgling media television industry in England and was actually given her own television special on the BBC 1936.

She returned back home and left for Europe again after World War II. She came back to the US from Greece in 1960.

Front-Page-Nina-Mae-460x280.jpg