Unarmed Stephen Clark shot to death in own backyard by pigs

PliggaNease

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Updated: Black man shot by police was carrying cellphone, not 'tool bar,' when he was shot, department says
BY BENJY EGEL, NASHELLY CHAVEZ AND ANITA CHABRIA

begel@sacbee.com

achabria@sacbee.com
March 19, 2018 06:25 AM

Updated 45 minutes ago

The 22-year-old black man fatally shot by Sacramento police in his own backyard Sunday night was carrying a cellphone, not a "tool bar," when confronted by officers, the department clarified late Monday.

Stephon Clark was killed in the backyard of the south Sacramento home he shared with his grandmother, grandfather and some siblings, his 25-year-old brother Stevante Clark said Monday. The police department said officers were responding to a call of a person breaking car windows nearby.

Police said they believed Clark was armed with a gun, though no firearm was found at the scene. Police said instead Clark had a "object" that he "extended in front of him" while advancing towards two officers.

ADVERTISING
inRead invented by Teads
Police were unable to immediately give details about the tool bar Monday, and did not identify the item in Clark's hand when he was shot as different from the tool bar until late Monday night. The department said it believed initial information released about the incident was clear that the object Clark was holding when shot was not the tool bar.

Police said Monday night they had concluded their on-scene investigation and the only item found near Clark's body was a cellphone.

Police said two items that could be the "tool bar" that deputies in the helicopter saw were recovered from near the broken sliding glass door in the neighbor's yard: a cinder block and a piece of aluminum similar to what might be used for a gutter.

On Monday, police said Clark used the tool bar to shatter a sliding glass door one house away from where he was shot. Police also said in a release that they believe Clark broke the windows of at least three nearby vehicles.

At 9:18 p.m. Sunday night, officers responded to a call that a thin, 6-foot-1 black man wearing a black hooded sweatshirt and dark pants was hiding in a residential backyard after breaking car windows, according to a department media release.

Sacramento County Sheriff's deputies circling the area in a helicopter spotted a man in a nearby backyard at about 9:25 p.m. and told police on the ground that he had just shattered a window with a tool bar then run to the front of that house and looked inside a car. The deputies in the helicopter began directing the officers on the ground to his location.

Officers entered the front yard of Clark's residence in the 7500 block of 29th Street and spotted him along the side of the house. Department spokesman Vance Chandler said the man tracked by the helicopter was the same person confronted by officers, who said they ordered him to stop and show his hands. That man was later identified as Clark.

Police said Clark instead fled from the officers toward the back of the property, where police said he turned and advanced toward the officers with an object in his hands.

"Fearing for their safety," the officers fired multiple rounds at Clark at 9:26 p.m., hitting him several times, the department said.

The two officers involved in the shooting then held their position for about five minutes until additional officers arrived before approaching the victim. Clark was pronounced dead at the scene.

Sequita Thompson, Clark's grandmother, said she was awake and sitting in the home's dining room when she heard four gunshots.

“The only thing that I heard was pow, pow, pow, pow, and I got to the ground," she said.

RELATED STORIES FROM SACRAMENTO BEE
Police fired 20 times at South Sacramento man fatally shot while holding a cellphone
How many fatal police shootings have occurred in Sacramento County since 2016?
Volunteers may soon film cops on Sacramento streets. Will it curb use of force?
Police provide video of East Sacramento foot chase with man who allegedly tried to kill cop

Thompson said neither she nor her husband heard police issuing commands prior to the shots being fired.

Thompson dropped to the floor and crawled to the spot where her 7-year-old granddaughter slept on the a couch in an adjacent den, telling her to get on the ground as well, she said.

Thompson then made her way to her husband, who uses a wheelchair to move around.

Thompson said it was normal for Clark and others to enter the home through the backyard because the front doorbell doesn't work and she and her husband, who is in a wheelchair, have poor mobility. People would knock on the back window and ask her to use an automatic opener to raise the garage door to admit them, she said.

Thompson said her husband called 911 to report the shots.

Police interviewed Thompson for several hours about what she had heard but did not tell her about Clark, she said. She eventually decided to look out a window and saw her grandson's body in her backyard, she said.

“I opened that curtain and he was dead," she said. "I started screaming.”

Both officers involved with the shooting were placed on paid administrative leave. One has been an SPD officer for four years, the other for two. Each had four years experience with other law enforcement agencies before joining SPD.

Body-camera footage of the shooting will be released within 30 days, per a city policy approved in November 2016.

Chandler said that video would include footage shot by Sacramento County Sheriff's deputies in the helicopter. The Sheriff's Department does not usually release video, but Chandler said the departments wanted to work "collaboratively."

The Sacramento County District Attorney’s Office, city attorney’s office and the city Office of Public Safety Accountability will investigate the shooting, as will SPD homicide detectives, internal affairs and Crime Scene Investigation units, he said.

Sacramento Mayor Darrell Steinberg said he supported the investigation and Sacramento Police Chief Daniel Hahn's "intent to expediate the release of all relevant video."

"I am always sorry when someone loses their young life," Steinberg said. "I am also grateful that the officers were unharmed."

A Sacramento High School alumnus with a fondness for sneakers, football and video games, Clark left behind two young sons, Cairo and Aiden, his family said.

Though his birth certificate read "Stephen," Clark altered the spelling of his name to differentiate it from that of his father, Stevante said.

Many friends also referred to him as "Zoe," short for Alonzo, his middle name.

Monday night, about 120 community activists led by Black Lives Matter gathered in front of the Meadowview Light Rail Station off of Meadowview Road for a vigil and protest. The crowd included family members and community leaders.

Sacramento Pastor Les Simmons, the former president of a police oversight commission who quit after the fatal shooting of a mentally ill black man in 2016, led a group of family members through prayer at the station’s parking lot.

“I think right now is a moment for our community,” he said afterward. “A moment to show real transparency.”

Tuesday afternoon, family, friends and activists planned to gather on the steps of the state capitol at 1 p.m.

1:03
Here's the scene of officer-related shooting in South Sacramento
Sacramento police are investigating an officer-related shooting on March 19, 2018, in South Sacramento in the 7500 block of 29th Avenue. Sgt. Vance Chandler explains at the scene. Public Safety News

A GoFundMe page to pay for Clark's funeral expenses was established Monday afternoon. Stevante Clark said the family wanted enough money to bury his younger brother next to another brother killed a few years ago, also by gun violence.

"He would not want for us to be sad but to come together," said the elder Clark. "He was a good person. He always had jokes for everybody.

ronmch20

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
It is getting harder and harder for me not to hate white people generally. Never really liked them to begin with, but increasingly that dislike is turning into pure hatred.
Elijah Muhammad was right. :hmm:

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
They should all be arrested for murder instead they will get paid leave. :smh::angry::angry:

s3fjHT.jpg

michigantoga

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Very sad... UNARMED

Sacramento police fatally shot a 22-year-old black man holding a cell phone that was mistaken for a weapon.

Stephon Clark was in the backyard of the home he shared with his grandparents and some of his siblings when he was killed, Clark’s brother told the Sacramento Bee.

The police department said officers were responding to a report that someone was breaking car windows nearby.

The suspect was described as a 6-foot-1 man wearing a black hooded sweatshirt and dark pants hiding in a backyard.

Minn. cop charged in fatal shooting of Justine Damond

Deputies told police the suspect had used a “toolbar” to break another home’s window.

Deputies in a Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department helicopter spotted Clark in a backyard, and told deputies he had shattered a window with a tool bar.

Deputies instructed officers on the ground to the man’s location.

Police approached Clark, who they initially believed was armed with a gun, though no firearm was recovered from the scene, according to the Sacramento Bee.

Suspect kills Missouri cop, injures two others in standoff

Police said Clark held an “object” that he “extended in front of him” as he approached two officers.

“The officers believed the suspect was pointing a firearm at them. Fearing for their safety, the officers fired their duty weapons striking the suspect multiple times,” the police department said in a release. Clark was pronounced dead at the scene.

clark21n-1-web.jpg

Stephon Clark was fatally shot by Sacremento Police on Sunday March 18, 2018. He was carrying a cell phone which police mistook for a "tool bar."IMAGE BY: FACEBOOK
Police said Monday that the only item found near Clark’s body was a cell phone.

Sequita Thompson, Clark’s grandmother, said she was home when gunshots rang out.

Cops blast man after he helped stop possible church shooting

“The only thing that I heard was pow, pow, pow, pow, and I got to the ground.” she told the Sacramento Bee.

She said that neither she nor her husband heard police issue commands before hearing gunfire.

Thompson said she was interviewed for several hours before police told her Clark had been shot.

“I opened that curtain and he was dead,” she said. “I started screaming.”

Police officer fired for not shooting suicidal man gets $175,000

The two officers involved in the shooting were wearing body cameras. The department plans on releasing footage from the cameras along with video and audio from the law enforcement helicopter.

Both officers have been placed on paid administrative leave.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nyda...ack-man-shot-death-backyard-article-1.3886562

LSN

Phat booty lover.
BGOL Investor
R.I.P.

This looks all kinds of fucked up. He steps outside right after the guy they're chasing runs past and they shot him instead :smh:

yo that is supremely fucked up...probably heard the commotion in the back and stepped outside to check it out...damn

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
I guess I'm wrong? The reports are saying it's him they were chasing the whole time, there was no second person.

also said he had a gun
then a crowbar
then just a cell phone
and also questioned his grandmother for hours and didn't tell her her grandchild was dead
and also they found him the next morning.
meaning the police didn't even care enough to call proper people to move the body.
they treated him like an animal and shot him down in the backyard.
where is it safe for me?
i can't get pulled over
i can't stand in front of a store
i can't pickup or drop my kids off at school
i can't stand in my own backyard with my cell phone
i can't reach for my wallet
i can't have car trouble on the side of the road
i can't jaywalk
i can't walk down a street i don't "belong on" at night

im running out of options here.

LSN

Phat booty lover.
BGOL Investor
where is it safe for me?
i can't get pulled over
i can't jaywalk

:smh::smh::smh::smh::smh::smh::smh:

michigantoga

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
A crowbar can be 18 inches to 3 feet long... A cellphone, about 8 inches at best.

These cops scary as hell, racist & dumb. That's a bad combo

LordSinister

One Punch Mayne
Super Moderator
Scary racist ass cops killing a person for allegedly breaking windows.

Is that the death penalty now? Breaking a window? Or just walking at night.

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Heartbreaking.. They peaked around corner and immediately let off atleast a dozen shots... Even if he was the suspect (WHICH HE WAS NOT), they didnt assess anything before firing, didnt see a threat, and wernt pursuing a violent felon during the commission of a crime.

Fucking cacs.

lightbright

Master Pussy Poster
BGOL Investor

Sacramento Police Department Body Cam Footage Shooting of Stephon Clark

Sacramento police fatally shoot unarmed man holding cellphone in backyard

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Relatives, activists and Sacramento officials are questioning why police shot at an unarmed black man 20 times, killing him, when he turned out to be holding only a cellphone in his grandparents' backyard. Police in Sacramento released new video of the shooting. Officers said they thought he had a gun, but he was holding a cell phone, CBS News' John Blackstone reports.

Relatives have identified the man as Stephan Alonzo Clark, 22, according to The Sacramento Bee. His fiance, Salena Manni, the mother of his sons, ages 1 and 3, said his first name was Stephon.

"We're mourning right now and so we need our time to mourn," she said Wednesday as the family gathered in his grandparents' home.

Police say the man was spotted breaking at least three vehicle windows Sunday night. Sheriff's deputies in a helicopter say they saw him break a neighbor's sliding glass door.

Two arriving officers chased him into the backyard of his grandparents' home, where he was staying. The department says he refused orders to stop and show his hands. He advanced toward the officers holding an object extended in front of him, the department said. The officers thought he was pointing a handgun and opened fire, fearing for their safety, the department said.

In all, police fired 20 shots, Blackstone reports.

No gun was found and only the cellphone was found near his body when more officers arrived and approached him about five minutes after the shooting, the department said.

"He was at the wrong place at the wrong time in his own backyard?" Clark's grandmother, Sequita Thompson, told The Sacramento Bee. "C'mon now, they didn't have to do that."

"They will pay for this," Clark's brother Stevante told Blackstone. "You're going to know his name forever ... You're going to remember it like how you know Trayvon Martin, Mike Brown, Eric Garner, Tamir Rice. You're going to know him. You're going to remember this."

"I know there could have been another way. He didn't have to die," Stevante told CBS Sacramento.

The department could not say how many times Clark was hit, and the coroner's office was not releasing information until his relatives were notified. The department said the two officers have been with Sacramento police for two and four years, but each has four years' previous experience with other law enforcement agencies. Both are on paid administrative leave.

Clark routinely helped care for his grandparents at their home in south Sacramento, his cousin, Sonia Lewis, told Capital Public Radio.

Protesters took to the street on Monday night, gathering near the scene of the shooting on 29th Street. "It's very upsetting, it's very saddening to see people that look like you get killed over and over again in your city," said Tanya Faison from the Sacramento chapter of Black Lives Matter.

City Councilman Larry Carr decried the loss of life and said police must provide timely information. The department is required to release video from the helicopter and the officers' body cameras within 30 days.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/stephon-clark-shot-dead-by-sacramento-police-while-holding-cellphone/

lightbright

Master Pussy Poster
BGOL Investor

Sacramento Police Department Body Cam Footage Shooting of Stephon Clark

Sacramento police fatally shoot unarmed man holding cellphone in backyard

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Relatives, activists and Sacramento officials are questioning why police shot at an unarmed black man 20 times, killing him, when he turned out to be holding only a cellphone in his grandparents' backyard. Police in Sacramento released new video of the shooting. Officers said they thought he had a gun, but he was holding a cell phone, CBS News' John Blackstone reports.

Relatives have identified the man as Stephan Alonzo Clark, 22, according to The Sacramento Bee. His fiance, Salena Manni, the mother of his sons, ages 1 and 3, said his first name was Stephon.

"We're mourning right now and so we need our time to mourn," she said Wednesday as the family gathered in his grandparents' home.

Police say the man was spotted breaking at least three vehicle windows Sunday night. Sheriff's deputies in a helicopter say they saw him break a neighbor's sliding glass door.

Two arriving officers chased him into the backyard of his grandparents' home, where he was staying. The department says he refused orders to stop and show his hands. He advanced toward the officers holding an object extended in front of him, the department said. The officers thought he was pointing a handgun and opened fire, fearing for their safety, the department said.

In all, police fired 20 shots, Blackstone reports.

No gun was found and only the cellphone was found near his body when more officers arrived and approached him about five minutes after the shooting, the department said.

"He was at the wrong place at the wrong time in his own backyard?" Clark's grandmother, Sequita Thompson, told The Sacramento Bee. "C'mon now, they didn't have to do that."

"They will pay for this," Clark's brother Stevante told Blackstone. "You're going to know his name forever ... You're going to remember it like how you know Trayvon Martin, Mike Brown, Eric Garner, Tamir Rice. You're going to know him. You're going to remember this."

"I know there could have been another way. He didn't have to die," Stevante told CBS Sacramento.

The department could not say how many times Clark was hit, and the coroner's office was not releasing information until his relatives were notified. The department said the two officers have been with Sacramento police for two and four years, but each has four years' previous experience with other law enforcement agencies. Both are on paid administrative leave.

Clark routinely helped care for his grandparents at their home in south Sacramento, his cousin, Sonia Lewis, told Capital Public Radio.

Protesters took to the street on Monday night, gathering near the scene of the shooting on 29th Street. "It's very upsetting, it's very saddening to see people that look like you get killed over and over again in your city," said Tanya Faison from the Sacramento chapter of Black Lives Matter.

City Councilman Larry Carr decried the loss of life and said police must provide timely information. The department is required to release video from the helicopter and the officers' body cameras within 30 days.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/stephon-clark-shot-dead-by-sacramento-police-while-holding-cellphone/

380snubnose

i posts nothing but dimes!!
BGOL Investor
hold up.The department said the two officers have been with Sacramento police for two and four years, but each has four years' previous experience with other law enforcement agencies.
sounds like they were bad cops on the move!!

ORIGINAL NATION

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
hold up.The department said the two officers have been with Sacramento police for two and four years, but each has four years' previous experience with other law enforcement agencies.
sounds like they were bad cops on the move!!
Like robo cop in the Floyd Dent case? The case is very strange. Was he actually breaking windows or was this part of the quarterbacking like Denzel was talking about in the movie Training Day?

sharkbait28

Unionize & Prepare For Automation
International Member
Cops are the fucking worst. :smh:

Tired of this shit man. What's it going to take to see change?

SamSneed

Disciple of Zod
BGOL Investor
They also waited a few minutes for other officers to arrive before cuffing him or rendering any first aid. They also waited quite a while before telling his family that he was dead.
I've seen combat soilders give aid faster than police. And they HAD weapons pointed and fired at them.

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
also said he had a gun
then a crowbar
then just a cell phone
and also questioned his grandmother for hours and didn't tell her her grandchild was dead
and also they found him the next morning.
meaning the police didn't even care enough to call proper people to move the body.
they treated him like an animal and shot him down in the backyard.
where is it safe for me?
i can't get pulled over
i can't jaywalk

Bro you preaching with this post....
Them options are leaving slowly