Those Damn Guns Again

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
a762d03f232c6e649be1c18136da99cd.jpg

MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator
SUMMER OF THE GUN: Retired Army general who implored troops to ‘put those damn weapon

SUMMER OF THE GUN: Retired Army general who implored troops to ‘put those damn weapons down’ during Katrina has strong opinions on guns
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://america.aljazeera.com/watch/embed.html/content/ajam/watch/shows/live-news/2015/8/general-russel-honor-discusses-guns-in-america" class="AJAM-video--embed" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Gun laws in Virginia regulate the sale, possession, and use of firearms and ammunition in the state of Virginia in the United States.
Open carry of a handgun without a permit is legal in Virginia at age 18, withstanding other applicable laws. Concealed carry of a handgun is allowed for persons who hold a valid CHP (concealed handgun permit), comply with certain restrictions, or who hold certain positions. Virginia shall issue a CHP to applicants 21 years of age or older, provided that they meet certain safety training requirements and do not have any disqualifying criminal convictions. Consuming an alcoholic beverage in ABC on-premise licensed restaurants and clubs, while carrying a concealed handgun, is prohibited; nor may any person carry a concealed handgun in a public place while under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs. Any person permitted to carry a concealed firearm may not carry one in such manner in a public place while intoxicated. Possession of a firearm can compound the penalty for various other offenses, including illegal drug possession. Open carry while intoxicated is not addressed in the law and can presumed to be legal unless otherwise specified.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Virginia

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Father Of Slain Journalist Makes Emotional
Plea For Gun Control On Fox News

screenshot.jpg

Fighting back tears, the father of one the journalists killed on live TV Wednesday morning made an impassioned plea for gun control on Fox News. Andy Parker, father of WDBJ reporter Alison Parker, told Megyn Kelly that “we’ve got to do something about crazy people getting guns.”

“My mission in life… I’m going to do something to shame legislatures into doing something about closing loopholes and background checks and making sure crazy people don’t get guns,” Parker said.

Her father’s comments were reinforced by her boyfriend, Chris Hurst. “Clearly something went wrong here between him leaving our station and being able to purchase a gun and commit a premeditated act,” Hurst told Kelly.

[BUT],The next segment on Fox News featured conservative commentator Dana Loesch who rejected calls for gun control and blamed the murder on elements of society that “don’t teach a respect for life,” like Planned Parenthood.

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/20...s-emotional-plea-for-gun-control-on-fox-news/

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Cd-kOWO24PU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator

I'm still saying,

(A) impose tighter gun registration requirements so that we can track how guns come into possession of those who shouldn't have them;

(B) impose penalties on those that cause or allow guns to come into the hands of those who shouldn't have them; and

(C) make those whose intentional or negligent conduct cause or allow guns to come to the hands of those who shouldn't have them civilly and/or criminally liable for the resulting harm.

That would be responsible gun control -- focusing on the those who kill or injure, since we all know that guns, in and of themselves, do neither.

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Was he anti-gun control before his daughter's death ???

He said he'll become an advocate for gun control, saying he's been in contact with Mark Kelly, the astronaut husband of former Rep. Gabby Giffords, who was targeted by a shooter, as well as representatives for former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, a gun control supporter.
http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/30/politics/andy-parker-virginia-shooting-gun-control/

He like many fool themselves in blaming "mental health".

The issue is, not everybody whether sane or not, should have a gun.

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Maybe just semantics. I can see where one could be a supporter of gun control on the one hand and an advocate on the other. Perhaps, an advocate is more involved, or involved in different ways than a supporter. IDK.

I can't say that its foolish, however, to say that many with certain mental health issues should not be permitted to have firearms. Sure, there are other categories that ought not to be permitted as well, but I don't think there is any question that those with certain mental health issues ought to be banned and we need to develop sane ways to identify and enumerate those who should be banned while developing a methodology to protect and safeguard their privacy interests at the same time.​

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Maybe just semantics. I can see where one could be a supporter of gun control on the one hand and an advocate on the other. Perhaps, an advocate is more involved, or involved in different ways than a supporter. IDK.

Well, if you are a member of the NRA, which he claimed he was, then semantics is important.

How can you claim to be a supporter when the very organization you give money to is opposed to what you claim you are for?

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Well, if you are a member of the NRA, which he claimed he was, then semantics is important.

How can you claim to be a supporter when the very organization you give money to is opposed to what you claim you are for?

Assuming, arguendo, that the guy was a member of the NRA, does his awakening through the death of his daughter make him less a supporter of control now?

Does the universe of gun control enthusiasts or supporters include only the purists (those born gun control supporters); or is there room for converts ?

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Assuming, arguendo, that the guy was a member of the NRA, does his awakening through the death of his daughter make him less a supporter of control now?

Does the universe of gun control enthusiasts or supporters include only the purists (those born gun control supporters); or is there room for converts ?

No. The enemy of my enemy is my friend...for now.

I assume his goal is to prevent the so called mentally ill from getting guns.. At least that's what he says. However, others that would not be classified as mentally ill are killing people indiscriminately and with impunity. Specifically, cops, racists under the excuse of Stand Your Ground law, homophobes among others.

I wonder if he achieves his goal, would he continue to be outraged until the other goals are met.

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Oregon shooting: Initial reports of 10 dead
at Umpqua Community College​

CNN)—Preliminary information indicates 10 people were killed and more than 20 others injured in a shooting at Oregon's Umpqua Community College on Thursday, said Oregon State Police spokesman Bill Fugate.

Douglas County Commissioner Chris Boice told CNN that the shooter is in custody. It was not immediately clear whether the shooter was injured.​

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/01/us/oregon-college-shooting/index.html

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TNlX8paL9oY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
source: Salon

“I’m going back to the range”: Conservatives react to Oregon shooting with calls for more guns, tough guy talk

Now isn't the time to discuss gun control, conservatives (predictably) say VIDEO

ben_carson3-620x412.jpg

We don’t yet know the identity of America’s
newest mass shooter, and I naively wish it’d remain that way, but already right-wing gun enthusiasts have jumped onto Twitter to defend their beloved killing machines from the all-too-familiar widespread calls for increased gun control on the social media site.

A 20-year-old man opened fire at a small community college in Roseburg, Oregon, killing up to 13 people before finally being shot and killed by police today.

The familiar conservative faces on Twitter rushed to denounce what they called attempts to “politicize the tragedy” — their standard reply to stifle talk of gun control following these mass shootings:
There needs to be a mandatory waiting period imposed on anti-gun extremists commenting on breaking news crime incidents. #UCCShooting
— Michelle Malkin (@michellemalkin) October 1, 2015
<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
I don't believe it's appropriate to talk about gun control or gun free zones right now
— Stephen Gutowski (@StephenGutowski) October 1, 2015
<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
I’d appreciate if some of you ghouls in my timeline would chill a bit before rushing to politicize and point fingers at anyone but suspect.
— Dana Loesch (@DLoesch) October 1, 2015
Oh. So Oregon already had the "common sense" gun laws the White House is pushing before the bodies are cold? https://t.co/OJSDv2j2u0
— RB (@RBPundit) October 1, 2015
Reminder: Democrats and the media want us unarmed and helpless and at the mercy of mass-shooters unconcerned with gun laws.
— John Nolte (@NolteNC) October 1, 2015
There was also the standard “false flag” nonsense:
Very sad to see people being vehemently tricked into supporting gun control measures over staged #UCCShooting https://t.co/N52sDL1WJu
— Grænd Âmericæ (@PopulationWatch) October 1, 2015
And of course, the sick push for more guns:
You can whine about #uccshooting victims, or learn how not to be one. I'm going back to the range, right now. pic.twitter.com/aKg0uVZRmd
— Bob Owens (@bob_owens) October 1, 2015
Water pistols and paint guns are banned at Umpqua Community College. https://t.co/5B2Vg620r5
— Ben Shapiro (@benshapiro) October 1, 2015
Republican presidential candidate Ben Carson echoed Twitter conservatives, reacting to the shooting on right-wing radio host Hugh Hewitt’s program today by denying that gun control could help to prevent such an incident.

“Obviously, there are those who are going to be calling for gun control,” Carson said. “Obviously, that’s not the issue. The issue is the mentality of these people.” He argued that instead of focusing on guns, “early warning clues” should be heeded by people closer to the shooter in order to prevent such shootings:
<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9PGbegB9t94" allowfullscreen="allowfullscreen" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator

Deadly shootings rock 2 colleges within 24 hours​

One person was killed and another was injured after a gunman opened fire at Texas Southern University on Friday in the second campus shooting of the day. The shooting came just hours after an 18-year-old student at Northern Arizona University killed one and wounded three early Friday morning in a shooting that stemmed from an argument outside a dorm. Both tragedies come eight days after a gunman killed nine people at Umpqua Community College in Roseburg, Oregon.​

http://theweek.com/5things/582263/deadly-shootings-rock-2-colleges-within-24-hours

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
<iframe width="512" height="288" src="http://www.hulu.com/embed.html?eid=xbvamnvuv8u5kkz7fk1jkg" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>​

[hide]SNL Takes On Firearms in America with Faux Commercial: 'Guns. We're Here to Stay.'[/hide]

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Re: Those Damn Guns, Again

The truth about guns and self-defense​

GettyImages-159737601.jpg

The NRA says the only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.

Is that right?

Here's everything you need to know:​

Are guns used often in self-defense?

Not very — although the evidence on this issue is hotly disputed. National Rifle Association executive vice president Wayne LaPierre is often quoted as saying, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is with a good guy with a gun." LaPierre and gun-rights advocates point to research that supports this argument, chiefly a 1994 study by Gary Kleck, a Florida State University criminologist. Based on a telephone survey of about 6,000 people, Kleck concluded that guns are used defensively to stop a range of crimes, from simple assault to burglary to rape, up to 2.5 million times a year. But other academics and statisticians have criticized Kleck's conclusions, saying he relied on firearms owners' self-reporting their defensive gun use — problematic because some respondents might have categorized aggressive, unlawful gun use as self-defense — and then extrapolated that unreliable data to cover the entire nation. Those critics point to other figures that suggest defensive gun use is actually quite rare.

What figures?

Gun skeptics note that in 2012 there were 8,855 criminal gun homicides in the FBI's database, but only 258 fatal shootings that were deemed "justifiable" — which the agency defines as "the killing of a felon, during the commission of a felony, by a private citizen." Another study by the nonpartisan Gun Violence Archive, based on FBI and Justice Department data, found that of nearly 52,000 recorded shootings in 2014, there were fewer than 1,600 verified cases where firearms were used for self-defense. Gun advocates counter that not all instances of defensive gun use are reported to the police, and that in most cases shots are never fired, because simply displaying a weapon can deter a criminal. Firearms can "ensure your or your family's personal safety," said Brian Doherty, author of Gun Control on Trial, "even if you don't actually plug some human varmint dead."​

Will a gun make you safer?

Most Americans think so. According to recent Gallup polls, 63 percent of adults believe having a gun in the house will make them safer and 56 percent think the country would be safer if more people carried concealed weapons. But numerous studies suggest that owning a gun can actually increase a person's risk of bodily harm and death. Research published this year in the American Journal of Epidemiology found that the 80 million Americans who keep guns in the home were 90 percent more likely to die by homicide than Americans who don't. A paper in the American Journal of Public Health, meanwhile, determined that a person with a gun was 4.5 times more likely to be shot in an assault than someone who was unarmed.​

What about home intrusions?

Having a gun close at hand might make you feel better protected against violent burglars, but in fact the annual per capita risk of death during a home invasion is 0.0000002 percent — essentially zero. On the other hand, a 2014 study from the University of California, San Francisco, shows that people with a gun in the house are three times as likely to kill themselves as non-firearm owners. More than 20,000 Americans shoot themselves to death each year, accounting for two-thirds of gun fatalities. "It's not that gun owners are more suicidal," said Catherine Barber, who heads a suicide prevention project at the Harvard School of Public Health. "It's that they're more likely to die in the event that they become suicidal, because they are using a gun."​

Do armed civilians ever foil mass shootings?

Yes, but not regularly. An FBI study of 160 active-shooter events between 2000 and 2013 found seven incidents in which an armed civilian shot the gunman and ended the rampage. Only one of those involved a typical "good guy with a gun"; professionals — off-duty cops and armed security guards — fired in the six other cases. Still, "good guys" do occasionally stop shooting sprees: Earlier this year, a concealed-carry holder in Philadelphia shot a gunman who suddenly opened fire inside a packed barbershop, killing him before he took anyone else's life. "It could have been a lot worse," said police Capt. Frank Llewellyn. "He saved a lot of people in there." But generally speaking, authorities are uneasy about such civilian interventions.​

Why's that?

Because most civilians don't have the skills to handle an active-shooter situation. In some states, a concealed-carry permit requires no firearms training at all. "The notion that you walk into a gun store and you're ready for game day is ridiculous," says David Chipman, who served on a SWAT team with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives. A recent case in Houston highlights the risks of "good guys" opening fire: A man who saw a carjacking in progress shot at the perpetrators, but missed and hit the car owner in the head. Sometimes, Chipman says, the best thing to do is not to play hero, "but instead try to be the best witness you can be."​

When good guys stand down

Student and Air Force vet John Parker Jr. was legally armed and ready for action when shooter Chris Harper-Mercer went on a rampage and killed nine people at Oregon's Umpqua Community College in early October. But Parker and several other veterans on campus resisted the urge to enter the fray, fearing police would mistake them for additional shooters. "Luckily we made the choice not to get involved," Parker said, "which could have opened us up to being potential targets ourselves." Joe Zamudio, a hero in the 2011 mass shooting in Tucson that seriously wounded former Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, helped subdue gunman Jared Loughner — but not before he nearly shot an innocent man. Leaving a drug store as shots rang out, "I clicked the safety off, and I was ready," Zamudio recalled. "I had my hand on my gun [in] my jacket pocket." As he rounded a corner, Zamudio saw a man holding a gun. "And that's who I at first thought was the shooter. I told him to ‘Drop it, drop it!'" In fact, it was another man, who had wrested the gun away from Loughner. Fortunately, Zamudio held his fire. "Honestly, it was a matter of seconds," he said. "I was really lucky."​

http://theweek.com/articles/585837/truth-about-guns-selfdefense

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Smart guns finally poised to change U.S. gun market?

smartguns.jpg

Smart gun with touchpad technology/ CBS News​

"Smart guns" that only their owners can fire are not new. And yet, these guns are not mass-produced or sold in the United States, in part because of fears they are a backdoor to greater gun control. But that's going to change says one of Silicon Valley's most prominent entrepreneurs who champions the hi-tech firearms. Lesley Stahl reports on smart guns, firearms advocates believe can lower the number of accidental shootings and suicides in the U.S., on the next edition of 60 Minutes, Sunday, November 1 at 7 p.m. ET/PT.

Smart weapons recognize their owners' fingerprints or hand grip, or unlock when they wirelessly interact with a special watch or ring worn by the shooter. Ron Conway, an early investor in Google and Facebook who has funded 15 smart-gun projects, says he's looking for the Mark Zuckerberg of guns. He thinks the market is ripe for disruption. "This is going to happen outside the gun industry. Why they aren't doing research and investing in this baffles me," says Conway.

So why can't you buy a smart gun in the United States today? One reason is gun-shop owners won't sell them. When one Maryland dealer announced he would try to sell one smart gun he was immediately attacked with email and phone call threats by people who believed that he could have triggered a New Jersey ban on regular handguns that don't possess smart-gun technology.

Turns out that the sale of smart guns could actually restrict gun sales, at least in New Jersey, where a 13-year-old law mandates all regular handguns sold in the state be smart guns if and when they become available for sale anywhere else in the country. Acknowledging how this law has actually inadvertently impeded smart guns from coming onto the marketplace, New Jersey State Senator Loretta Weinberg, who sponsored the original mandate, tells 60 Minutes that as early as next week, she will ask her state's legislature to repeal the law and replace it with one mandating at least one smart gun be for sale wherever weapons are sold in her state.

Steve Sanetti speaks for gun manufacturers as the president of the
National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF). He says it's the anti-
gun forces who want smart guns, not the marketplace. "It's coming
from people who, frankly, really want to put as many obstacles to
a gun going off as they can," he tells Stahl. He argues that such
laws punish responsible gun owners who secure their weapons
safely away from children or thieves and that manufacturers
include safety mechanisms on guns. "Why are you trying to take my
firearm and add something to it that's going to make it more
prone to failure?" he asks, referring to the possibility that
technology might malfunction, like the batteries in the "smart"
devices could drain, causing the gun to fail. Another basic
argument Sanetti makes is that Americans like guns the way they
were. "Guns of the Old West, they like them the way Davy Crockett
used them...years ago," he says.​

But times are changing, says Conway. He believes a new generation of tech-savvy people, especially young parents, will embrace the hi-tech smart guns eventually, even overcoming the politics currently holding them back. "You cannot stop innovation. And this is an area where innovation is taking over...for technology and innovation, we have to ignore politics," he tells Stahl.​

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/smart-guns-finally-poised-to-change-u-s-gun-market/