RIP Clyde Stubblefield (James Brown drummer)

John Million

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Last edited:

woodchuck

A crowd pleasing man.
OG Investor
Okay, I'm not finding anything on this. The only place I'm seeing this is on Wikipedia. I'm going to call his cousin.

Mr. Met

So Amazin
BGOL Investor
RIP. BTW.........

After getting diagnosed with cancer 15 years ago, legendary drummer and James Brown collaborator Clyde Stubblefield had $90,000 worth of hospital bills.

Stubblefield's wife Jody Hannon received an unexpected call while Stubblefield was undergoing chemotherapy for bladder cancer: Prince's people were on the line, and they wanted to know how much Stubblefield needed in order to pay off his massive medical bills. True to his buttoned-up, discreet nature, Prince requested that his donation -- a whopping $80,000 to help pay for Stubblefield's treatment -- be kept a secret from the press.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/7348492/prince-funky-drummer-clyde-stubblefield-medical-bills

kuu

Rising Star
Registered
Damn... saw him and Jabo at this music store playing with my bass teacher as kid.

RIP

TEN

Tensei - Admin
Staff member
Rest In Peace and Love, Funky Drummer, Clyde Stubblefield.

99f620969e89cc3843e1ed6a5bfdefdd.gif

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Condolences to the Stubblefield family.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clyde_Stubblefield#Recognition

Recognition

In 2014 Stubblefield was named the second best drummer of all time by LA Weekly. According to the LA Weekly, "Stubblefield is one of the most sampled drummers in history, the man whose uncanny ability to deconstruct pop music's simple 4/4 rhythms into a thousand different sly syncopations laid the foundation not only for funk, but for most of hip-hop, as well."[31] In 2013 Stubblefield and Starks received the Yamaha Legacy Award.[32][33] In 2004 he received the lifetime achievement award at the Madison Area Music Awards.[34] In 2000 he was inducted into the Wisconsin Area Music Industry hall of fame.[35] In 1990 he was named drummer of the year by Rolling Stone magazine, and in 2016 the magazine named Stubblefield and Starks the sixth best drummer of all time.[8][36] A set of Stubblefield's autographed drum-sticks are in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.[8]

Self-proclaimed nerdcore rapper MC Frontalot paid tribute to Stubblefield in his song "Good Old Clyde".[37] Hip hop artist Black Thought of The Roots rhymes "I'm cooler than Clyde Stubblefield, drummer for James" in the song "Stay Cool".[38] According to Questlove, drummer of The Roots, Stubblefield is the one "who defined funk music."[5]

Ben Sisario of The New York Times writes, "on songs like 'Cold Sweat' and 'Mother Popcorn' he perfected a light-touch style filled with the off-kilter syncopations sometimes called ghost notes."[5] According to the National Public Radio, "the grooves the two drummers (Stubblefield and Starks) created have inspired generations of artists — not just in funk, but in hip-hop, where their steady but intricate patterns make natural material for sampling."[7]

fwillia

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Back when MPC was life, I bought his Funky Drummer Breakbeat album, and would sample the drums and distort them to make them feel original.

It never quite worked, but I still owe a debt of gratitude to the legendary Mr. Stubblefield. RIP.

Majestic Lion

fidélité à la mort
Registered
Peace and blessings, elder. Thank you.

If not for the Funky Drummer and the Amen Brother samples, early hip hop music would sound entirely different.

respiration

/ˌrespəˈrāSH(ə)n/
BGOL Patreon Investor
He was living "around the corner" from us Chicagoans in Wisconsin from what I remember. This man was one of the foundations in the original house of funk. Infinite respect and good rest to you, Baba.

stretchwallz

Superstar ***
BGOL Legend
He lived in Madison Wisconsin for a long time. He used to throw jams where local musicians would come and play with him.

My dad played with him a few times and was mesmerized.

RIP to the one of the main architects of Hip Hop music