PBS newscaster Gwen Ifill has passed - RIP

HAR125LEM

Rising Star
Platinum Member

Now there goes another one of my political addictions. I loved Ifill. She was politically saavy when many didn't take her seriously (F**K YOU DON IMUS). This Woman was a true ICON in every sense of the word.

As President Obama leaves office, I feel that we are going to see a huge lack of Black ( and others with a lack of voice) Media "talking heads" on all these political panel shows. And we need these voices more than ever now. This is why Ifill's death is shocking and hurts.

This year has sucked on so many levels.

Leonard Cohen
Victor Bailey
Leon Russell
Gwen Ifill

In less than a Fuckin' week.

FUCK YOU 2016!
FUCK YOU!!!

Mr. Met

So Amazin
BGOL Investor
3A603DDC00000578-3935550-image-a-56_1479154485399.jpg
3A603DCC00000578-3935550-image-a-55_1479154478429.jpg

3A603DD000000578-3935550-image-a-57_1479154489145.jpg

3A603DE800000578-3935550-image-a-58_1479154492252.jpg

3A603DE400000578-3935550-image-a-60_1479154512619.jpg

3A603DE000000578-3935550-image-a-63_1479154975163.jpg

3A603DD800000578-3935550-Many_of_her_colleagues_fellow_broadcasters_and_politicians_have_-a-62_1479154610285.jpg

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
oh snap she was also a 9/29'er.. r.i.p to 1 of the members born on that great day..rest in libra heaven sister

ansatsusha_gouki

Land of the Heartless
Platinum Member
2016 just.go away please.

First ever vice presidential debate I ever watched she moderated and sonned Cheney

Cheney:"Well Gwen I have a answer to that question but I'll need more than two minutes :)"

Gwen: "Well that's all you got"

Cheney::eek:

We got 6 more weeks left... :smh:

RIP

TrippCiti

Rising Star
Registered
I vote to end 2016 right this MF'ing minute...I'm truly afraid of what's around the corner the next six weeks ...And I'm not even referring to Trump & The Racists....Rest in peace, Ms. Ifill...Gone way too soon.

KRAYZIE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Started the year with Bowie ending it with ifill. I will not be looking back on this year fondly.

ballscout1

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

As journalists pay tribute to trailblazing newscaster Gwen Ifill, who died on Monday, one particularly poignant moment stands out.

In April 2007, radio host Don Imus was under fire for calling the Rutgers’ women’s basketball team “nappy-headed hos.” He was later fired over the infamous remark, even though he’d gotten away with other, similarly gross comments.

In a roundtable discussion on NBC’s “Meet the Press” at the time, Ifill pointed out the hypocrisy of those attacking Imus despite having never taken issue with his earlier racist statements.

“There has been radio silence from a lot of people who have done [Imus’ show] who could have spoken up and said, I find this offensive or I didn’t know,” Ifill said. “These people didn’t speak up.”

Turning to “Meet the Press” host Tim Russert and fellow guest David Brooks, she said, “Tim, we didn’t hear from you. David, we didn’t hear from you.”

Ifill then noted her own experience with Imus. Years before the Rutgers comment, Imus had called the PBS journalist a “cleaning lady.” And that was hardly the first racist comment he’d made. He’d also called tennis stars Serena and Venus Williams “booma-chucka, big-butted women” and black New York Times columnist Bill Rhoden a “quota hire.”

“A lot of people did know and a lot of people were listening and they just decided it was OK,” Ifill told “Meet the Press.” “They decided this culture of meanness was fine — until they got caught. My concern about Mr. Imus and a lot of people and a lot of the debate in this society is not that people are sorry that they say these things, they are sorry that someone catches them.”

Brooks and Russert had appeared on Imus’ show prior to the controversy. Brooks defended his appearances by saying that, “I have the lamest excuse for why I did it, which is I didn’t know what he said... I didn’t listen to the show except for the five minutes before when I went on.”

The whole incident is a crucial reminder of the vital roll the press plays in calling out bigotry. This issue has come up in recent days with the news that Steven Bannon, a former Breitbart executive who is sympathetic to conspiracy theories and white nationalism, will join President-elect Donald Trump’s White House team.

Under Bannon, Breitbart News became known for bigoted stories, like one that referred to conservative commentator Bill Kristol as a “renegade Jew” or another that tied Planned Parenthood to Nazis. As chief strategist, Bannon will play a key role in Trump’s administration.

“Do not normalize any of this,” Philadelphia Daily News columnist Will Bunch warns. “Because when one of your first two hires is a white nationalist, this is #NotNormal.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/gwen-ifill-racism-don-imus_us_582aea71e4b0c4b63b0e5c7f

marca

Rising Star
OG Investor
RIP Gwen Ifill

can 2016 just go quietly the fuck away already , how many more we gonna lose