Ohio Players Founder, Junie Morrison, Dead At 62

woodchuck

A crowd pleasing man.
OG Investor
This sucks. I didn't know he was so young. After "Funky Worm" blew up, Westbound, their label, dropped the Ohio Players, but kept Junie. Him eventually hooking up with Parliament/Funkadelic has just too good to be true. That was a crazy combo that led to GREAT music. RIP.

"With the rhythm it takes to dance to what we have to live through, you can dance under water and not get wet." - Junie Morrison

Last edited:

Rythm

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Solange Pays Tribute to Junie Morrison: “He Was the ‘Super Spirit’ Indeed”
“‘Junie’ was the last song that made it onto A Seat at the Table and the one I feel the closest to today.”
Solange
e33cf569.jpg

Photo by MARK RALSTON/AFP/Getty Images
Solange has written a tribute to Walter “Junie” Morrison—the funk legend (best known for his work with Ohio Players and Parliament) who died this week. In the post, called “The Super Spirit of Junie Morrison,” Solange recalls the first time hearing Morrison’s music when Q-Tip showed her “Super Spirit.” “No song had ever made me feel quite like it,” she wrote. She then dove deep into his discography. Later, after she had already begun mixing A Seat at the Table, she was inspired to begin work on the album’s Morrison tribute, “Junie” after hearing Raphael Saadiq play a particular “drum and bass loop” in the studio: “It’s the last song that made it onto A Seat at the Table and the one I feel the closest to today.” Later in the post, she explained:

I wrote the song [“Junie”] to honor the brilliant Junie Morrison and the impact his work and story had on me, while wanting to challenge my own relationship with “sharing your magic.” The more I learned about Junie, the more I learned how much of his gift he shared through his musical contributions to others; how we have all in some way or another been touched by his contributions to funk music, and about his wealth of inspiration to other musicians. The more he came up, the more I heard the words underrated and under-credited. But the greatest lesson I learned about Junie Morison is that the magic was endless….and the truest testament to real authentic magic….is that it can’t be made….. it just is. When that kind of magic exists, it will happen again and again, no matter what the potion of players are. He had it in his hands. He was very appreciated. He was the “Super Spirit” indeed.

will_right

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
One of the greatest beats of all time
I thought I was one of the few that felt this way about this song. I have all their music and THIS one has always been one of my favorites from them..my ONLY complaint about this song was that it's too damn SHORT that being only a mere 2:32 sec. for YEARS I waited and hoped there would be a new find from the vault that would have a longer/extended version..some never before heard extended studio version or something..but I guess my waiting was all in vane because nothing ever emerged :( R.I.P

BDR

BeatDownRecs
BGOL Investor
I thought I was one of the few that felt this way about this song. I have all their music and THIS one has always been one of my favorites from them..my ONLY complaint about this song was that it's too damn SHORT that being only a mere 2:32 sec. for YEARS I waited and hoped there would be a new find from the vault that would have a longer/extended version..some never before heard extended studio version or something..but I guess my waiting was all in vane because nothing ever emerged :( R.I.P

That's what make it great short powerful and too the point.. the beat and lyrics are a perfect mesh

BigATLslim

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This sucks. I didn't know he was so young. After "Funky Worm" blew up, Westbound, their label, dropped the Ohio Players, but kept Junie. Him eventually hooking up with Parliament/Funkadelic has just too good to be true. That was a crazy combo that led to GREAT music. RIP.

"With the rhythm it takes to dance to what we have to live through, you can dance under water and not get wet." - Junie Morrison

This quote makes him a legend all by itself.