New Trailer: Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
dirkgentlyfarahinterview.jpg

melonpecan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
guess so but id like to see it. Is it still airing?

Season is over but if you have Comcast it's all On Demand.
You really gonna pay for that?! :hmm:
LOL
If it's on TV and I'm not doing a season or series box collection...Apple ain't getting me. I don't even have an Apple product.

I'm joking but, it is a good watch though.

After watching the trailer, I wouldn't be surprised if you are.

o_O

Yo, if you saw SS you know how a good trailer can make a bad movie look good. I liked the trailer. But maybe in your case a bad trailer made a good show look bad? :dunno:

melonpecan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
What I said in the "Whovians" thread:

I loved it. Knowing the source material was from the same dude who did Hitchhikers explains the quirkiness. The acting was good, (know I know why Elijah Wood stay in work), and it kept you thinking. There were some things that you could see happening, (like the note on the third machine), and you kinda could figure out the explanation for the hallway almost immediately but the journey was awesome. And the ending...even if it's kinda foreshadowing, if you can keep me interested I'll follow. And DG did that.

The cops though...man I wish that had a better ending. But it was good playing out though.

OAN, chick who was possessed by the dog, really gave me creepy, weirded out, clueless. And chick who play Farrah was on point. Development, and she's freaking gorgeous.

ladyscorpio

Lively up yourself
Super Moderator
What I said in the "Whovians" thread:

I loved it. Knowing the source material was from the same dude who did Hitchhikers explains the quirkiness. The acting was good, (know I know why Elijah Wood stay in work), and it kept you thinking. There were some things that you could see happening, (like the note on the third machine), and you kinda could figure out the explanation for the hallway almost immediately but the journey was awesome. And the ending...even if it's kinda foreshadowing, if you can keep me interested I'll follow. And DG did that.

The cops though...man I wish that had a better ending. But it was good playing out though.

OAN, chick who was possessed by the dog, really gave me creepy, weirded out, clueless. And chick who play Farrah was on point. Development, and she's freaking gorgeous.

Yeah dog chick.......played the dog a lil too well...:eek2: shit is crazy though.....not a fan of the black guys being so damn scared and cowardly....ugh.....that shit gets old........
Black chick awesome....although not a fan of the being all crushy over Frodo.....but will def watch next season i enjoy this kinda ish....

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

agreed

I could never SEE what the note exactly said though!

And yeah I figured it out the minute he saw himself from the elevator...I think any sci fi fan figured it out right there but it was still fun

It was good...

Of course you could nit pick because it had a more than a few holes

And I was torn on how the sister reacting to the TRUTH about her brother's disease...

I felt like even thought he did LIE he gave up his life to support her nonetheless and she was REAL QUICK to cut him off..

that Black woman is perfect and that is the type of quality casting that Hollywood NEEDS right now.

Cause she was just beautiful and good...not Black. Just a good actress with a full story arc all her own. I hope she gets more work.

But I hope they work on the story-lines a little I think they could be SHORTER in the future

And I didn't like how the cops were handled, but since it has a time travel element hopefully they can bring them back somehow.

And I have no idea why I wanted the African dude and the fate assassin to hook up, but I did. Don;t judge me

melonpecan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Ok I don't think I touched on this before.

Forgive me but the African dude and Bart...loved them...let me tell you why

Dude knew something wasn't wrong with Bart. I mean his first intro to her was her killing his driver and coming after him with a knife calling him a name he never heard before. Everyone else in this thing had some sort of interaction with the "force" or was directly related to what it is. But this dude...naw...so he seeing this shit like "da fuck?" He like don't kill the dude in the forest...he trying to help us...naw bruh...Bart knew he had to die. Dude was like you can't go out the street and kill people. Bart knew he had to die. So he is getting this introduction to this "Thing" first hand and had to be MADE to be a believer. He was getting his faith in one season.

Witch brings me to the next thing...obviously Dirk and Bart and the Three (count Four, now Five) were a part of some government program. And there are more...I think the sister is a part of it too...damn how I forgot folks names...my eyes hurt.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Ok I don't think I touched on this before.

Forgive me but the African dude and Bart...loved them...let me tell you why

Dude knew something wasn't wrong with Bart. I mean his first intro to her was her killing his driver and coming after him with a knife calling him a name he never heard before. Everyone else in this thing had some sort of interaction with the "force" or was directly related to what it is. But this dude...naw...so he seeing this shit like "da fuck?" He like don't kill the dude in the forest...he trying to help us...naw bruh...Bart knew he had to die. Dude was like you can't go out the street and kill people. Bart knew he had to die. So he is getting this introduction to this "Thing" first hand and had to be MADE to be a believer. He was getting his faith in one season.

Witch brings me to the next thing...obviously Dirk and Bart and the Three (count Four, now Five) were a part of some government program. And there are more...I think the sister is a part of it too...damn how I forgot folks names...my eyes hurt.

Ohhhh...Imma be back!

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Sentiments

If you like Psych you can appreciate DG. But it's not the same by a long shot.

I had to STOP watching Psyche for a while

I just couldn't take it

I don't NORMALLY allow myself to laugh out loud and rarely find stuff THAT funny...

but damn it those two fools?

They would have me in TEARS stomach hurting and I'm yelling for anyone in the house over 35 to run and come see what they were doing or referencing...

I literally had to stop watching cause they were TOO FUNNY.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Sentiments

If you like Psych you can appreciate DG. But it's not the same by a long shot.

DG was able to do something that is HARD as HELL to pull off

ESPECIALLY sci-fi...the pulled you into a completely ALIEN world and made you accept it.

I was along for the ride from the jump

and yes they derailed a few times and it was a LITTLE too long,but overall it was really good and not an easy thing to pull off.

melonpecan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
DG was able to do something that is HARD as HELL to pull off

ESPECIALLY sci-fi...the pulled you into a completely ALIEN world and made you accept it.

I was along for the ride from the jump

and yes they derailed a few times and it was a LITTLE too long,but overall it was really good and not an easy thing to pull off.

You thought it was too long? It was what, 9 episodes?

To be honest I thought ep8 was the finish (glad it wasn't) but it could have ended there and it would have been fine. Considering all the people it had to pull in though I think the run time was ok. I don't think we saw enough of the military unit though..but i guess that's what season 2 is for :D

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
You thought it was too long? It was what, 9 episodes?

To be honest I thought ep8 was the finish (glad it wasn't) but it could have ended there and it would have been fine. Considering all the people it had to pull in though I think the run time was ok. I don't think we saw enough of the military unit though..but i guess that's what season 2 is for :D

when I say too long its because some episodes I felt like we really didn't PROGRESS...(rewatch to see what I mean)

and if your a sci fi fan, some of the stuff was repeating and repeated for the NEW audience.

I think MOST people got the time stuff and even the body swapping mad quick.

But it was the uniqueness of the fate assassin to me and her relationship to the African that was the HEART of the show...

and the honestly it was all about relationships...throughout.

The 2 policemen, Dirk and his assistant, the brother and sister, etc

So ANYTHING that deviated from that was a little wasteful.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
dirk_101_bs_0524_0253-1024x683.jpg

Samuel Barnett as Dirk Gently, an eccentric "holistic" detective, who understands everything in the universe to be interconnected. He does not solve cases by conventional means, but rather by following fate. It is revealed that he was part of a government organization studying people with 'special' abilities.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
hqdefault.jpg

• Elijah Wood as Todd Brotzman, Dirk's reluctant sidekick/assistant. He was formerly a musician and was until the events of the first episode a bellhop. His parents bankrupted themselves helping him with Pararibulitis (which he eventually revealed was a scam), and so he is desperate for money to help his sister, Amanda afford her medication. He is attracted to Farah, but she doesn't seem to realize this.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
amanda.jpg

BETTINA STRAUSS/BBCA

AMANDA BROTZMAN (Hannah Marks), TODD’S SISTER

LANDIS: Amanda’s two things. In theory, she’s the woman in peril. She’s this sickly, diminutive figure. She’s that for the pilot, and then her encounter with Dirk, and just something Dirk says, reawakens who Amanda really is, which is this sort of riot grrrl who wanted to be in a punk rock band and start a zine and have a f—ing life that got totally derailed [by illness]. Whereas you might expect a character like this would be to some degree a hostage of the plot — repeatedly put in danger and hung over Todd’s head — Amanda instead goes off on her own storyline that separates and diverges and reconnects to Todd’s story, completelynot as a consequence of his actions. She has her own thing! And she needs it. Because she’s a wild, out-there, intense girl who has a wild, out-there, intense time.

BARNETT: One of the things I think is brilliant in this is that none of the women in the show are sex objects. They’re not plot devices. They’re not maidens to be rescued. They’re in danger like any of the characters are in danger.

farah-black.jpg

BETTINA STRAUSS/BBCA
FARAH BLACK (Jade Eshete), SECURITY OFFICER

LANDIS: She’s the action lead. Dirk is sort of the intuition and the guide, Todd is sort of the legs, but Farah is the fists of the group. She’s physically dominant, she’s imposing, she’s extremely weird, and neurotic. She has a very anxious, intense energy that’s hard to interact with, especially for someone like Dirk, who can’t read social cues, and just thinks Farah seems charming. It was funny because that character is really the third lead of the show, but in the pilot she’s just tied to a bed, talking to herself. We would audition actresses, and I would have to be in the room saying, “No, you’re the third lead of the show. I know you don’t do much in the pilot, but you’re very important…”

BARNETT: “Yeah, once you get free…”

LANDIS:Once you get free of that bed!” I wanted to have the toughest, and most physically-dominant character be the cheesecake-noir-girl handcuffed to the bed, only to reveal that she f—ing can beat the s— out of literally anyone.

bart-curlish.jpg

BETTINA STRAUSS/BBCA
BART CURLISH (Fiona Dourif), HOLISTIC ASSASSIN

BARNETT: Bartine Curlish is her full name. She’s self-descrIbed as a holistic assassin. So, she is led in the universe to kill whoever she’s meant to kill next. As she says, she’s never killed the wrong person, but she has killed a lot of people. Her and Dirk are kind of two sides of the same coin. They are both driven by something very real and tangible to them that no one else in the world feels or gets. All the way through the season, whatever’s going on with Dirk, you have this presence of Bart just getting closer and closer and closer and closer. In the pilot she’s like, “I have to kill Dirk Gently!” You have that from the very beginning.

LANDIS: She’s the White Walkers. She’s coming! She’s relentlessly heading towards Dirk. Like Dirk, Bart is keyed into something. But, also like Dirk, as the series goes on, it will be revealed that, while initially it seems like she has a much clearer understanding of her purpose, Bart, too, can’t read the signs in front of her. It’s funny to say this, because she’s literally invincible, but to me, Bart is easily the most vulnerable character on the show.

ken.jpg

BETTINA STRAUSS/BBCA
KEN (Mpho Koaho), HACKER AND RELUCTANT ASSOCIATE OF BART

BARNETT: He is a criminal but he’s not intentionally a bad guy. His life gets turned upside down when he meets Bart. But he too is searching for meaning, searching for a purpose, and I think he starts to realize that his life might possibly have some meaning — that it’s not totally random. What I love about Bart and Ken is that it’s the weirdest relationship because Bart’s maybe always just on the edge of killing Ken, but is completely connecting with him as maybe the first friend she’s ever had.

estevez-zimmerfield.jpg

BETTINA STRAUSS/BBCA
ESTEVEZ AND ZIMMERFIELD (Neil Brown Jr., Richard Schiff), MISSING PERSON’S DETECTIVES

BARNETT: There are so many good characters in this show!

LANDIS: Estevez and Zimmerfield are detectives. They start out as reasonably straight-laced, missing persons detectives, chasing down a relatively straight-laced case. However, like everyone who intersects with Dirk Gently, and his tangle of fate and dimensionality in the universe, anyone who comes into Dirk’s path — and this is a rule for the show — will eventually end up either on his side, crazy, or dead, literally without exception. Literally without exception. And with no middle ground. And often a combination of all three. Two of the characters in the first season end up, in order, crazy, on his side, and then dead. It’s rough to be on this show when you’re not Dirk Gently.

colonel-scott-riggins-sergeant-hugo-friedkin.jpg

BETTINA STRAUSS/BBCA
COLONEL SCOTT RIGGINS AND SERGEANT HUGO FRIEDKIN (Miguel Sandoval, Dustin Milligan), MYSTERIOUS BLACK OPS-TYPE DUO

LANDIS: Riggins and Friedkin! Interesting characters. One of them, of course, being the brilliantly talented Miguel Sandoval and the other being a Max Landis veteran from [the Landis-directed] Me Him Her, Dustin Milligan. I say “veteran” because he still has the scars. Again, I don’t want to do spoilers here, but they appear to be agents of the government with some sort of connection to Dirk and potentially the Rowdy 3 [see below]. It appears that Riggins is severely underfunded, as the only person he could get was Friedkin. But he also doesn’t seem to have a very tight control over Friedkin. Within the first episode, Friedkin accidentally kills someone on his watch — granted, it was the right person at the time, but, yeah, I think Riggins might want to think about his choice of partner.

the-rowdy-3.jpg

BETTINA STRAUSS/BBCA
THE ROWDY 3 (Zak Santiago, Osric Chau, Viv Leacock, Michael Eklund), A QUARTET(!) OF VAMPIRES (!!!)

BARNETT: You take that!

LANDIS: Well, the less said the better. Anything you say about the Rowdy 3 is ultimately kind of a spoiler. Uh, the Rowdy 3 are four distinct personality types who function as one organism, to clearly do something. [Laughs] And they have been living that way for a very long time. If Dirk is the search button, and Bart is the delete key, the Rowdy 3 are just someone banging their hands on the keyboard and then banging the keyboard on their own face.

melonpecan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
@playahaitian I get it. Again, this is why I did enjoy this so much was because of the relationships and connections. Good writing will catch me every time...some people need to realize that good writing isn't about just dishing out a good story, the characters have to be taken into consideration. Looking at you SS :hmm:

Reading what Landis said about Amanda really puts her into perspective about her not needing to be rescued all the time. Todd was the real damsel in distress.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
@playahaitian I get it. Again, this is why I did enjoy this so much was because of the relationships and connections. Good writing will catch me every time...some people need to realize that good writing isn't about just dishing out a good story, the characters have to be taken into consideration. Looking at you SS :hmm:

Reading what Landis said about Amanda really puts her into perspective about her not needing to be rescued all the time. Todd was the real damsel in distress.

wow...I REALLY like that take.

and Todd was!!!! hey so was Ken (his whole arc was a traditionally white blonde girl role begging the assassin to find his HEART)
I took the courtesy of posting the characters names and faces cause I couldn't remember them either :lol:

you do KNOW that the @melonpecan thing don't work right?

:lol:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
‘Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency’ Canceled At BBC America
by Denise Petski

December 18, 2017 1:17pm

dirk-gentlys-holistic-detective-agency.jpg

BBC America

There will be no third season for BBC America’s Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency. The network has opted not to renew the series, which just wrapped Season 2.

Related
'Doctor Who' Christmas Trailer Arrives With Announcement Of Farewell Special

“We are beyond proud of this brilliant original series and so appreciative of the outstanding team behind it including Max Landis, Samuel Barnett, Elijah Wood, and many many others,” said BBC America in a statement. “It was a privilege to work with this talented and passionate group of writers, producers and actors on these two seasons of Dirk. Thanks also to the passionate fans who embraced this fantastically novel world.”

From creator Max Landis and showrunner Robert Cooper, the series was adapted from the popular novels by Douglas Adams (The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, Doctor Who). The serialized comedic thriller followed the bizarre adventures of eccentric “holistic” detective Dirk Gently (Samuel Barnett) and his reluctant assistant Todd (Elijah Wood) as the two wound their way through one big, seemingly insane mystery a season, crossing unlikely paths with a bevy of wild and sometimes dangerous characters, each episode landing them a few random steps closer to uncovering the truth.

In addition Wood and Barnett, the series starred Jade Eshet, Hannah Marks, Mpho Koaho, Fiona Dourif, Dustin Milligan, Michael Eklund, Osric Chau, Viv Leacock and Zak Santiago.

John Hannah, Amanda Walsh, Tyler Labine, Izzie Steele, Aleks Paunovic and Alan Tudyk also joined the cast for season two.

melonpecan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
‘Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency’ Canceled At BBC America
by Denise Petski

December 18, 2017 1:17pm

dirk-gentlys-holistic-detective-agency.jpg

BBC America

There will be no third season for BBC America’s Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency. The network has opted not to renew the series, which just wrapped Season 2.

Related
'Doctor Who' Christmas Trailer Arrives With Announcement Of Farewell Special

“We are beyond proud of this brilliant original series and so appreciative of the outstanding team behind it including Max Landis, Samuel Barnett, Elijah Wood, and many many others,” said BBC America in a statement. “It was a privilege to work with this talented and passionate group of writers, producers and actors on these two seasons of Dirk. Thanks also to the passionate fans who embraced this fantastically novel world.”

From creator Max Landis and showrunner Robert Cooper, the series was adapted from the popular novels by Douglas Adams (The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, Doctor Who). The serialized comedic thriller followed the bizarre adventures of eccentric “holistic” detective Dirk Gently (Samuel Barnett) and his reluctant assistant Todd (Elijah Wood) as the two wound their way through one big, seemingly insane mystery a season, crossing unlikely paths with a bevy of wild and sometimes dangerous characters, each episode landing them a few random steps closer to uncovering the truth.

In addition Wood and Barnett, the series starred Jade Eshet, Hannah Marks, Mpho Koaho, Fiona Dourif, Dustin Milligan, Michael Eklund, Osric Chau, Viv Leacock and Zak Santiago.

John Hannah, Amanda Walsh, Tyler Labine, Izzie Steele, Aleks Paunovic and Alan Tudyk also joined the cast for season two.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So many unanswered questions after season 2!
And I can't pick up the books cause the series was unfinished!!!
Ken is a bad guy now!
Bart wants to kill him!
What happens to the agency?!
Where is Amanda and the Rowdy 3 going?!
Does Pararibulitis play a part?!
What about Mona?!

Fuck you BBCA!
:angry: