Essential Oils

DeSiRe

The Get It Girl
BGOL Investor
anyone know a good site to get essential oils from?

amazon had some nice sets but is there a better place to look?

also if u are into essential oils anyone know a good reference site?

Izayoi

Scooty Puff Pilot
BGOL Investor
Ananda Apothecary has all you need. EXCELLENT science supported article(most of them anyway) info on eo's. Good fast shipping and great quality. An aromatherapist friend recommended them to me and I haven't ordered from another place since.

http://www.anandaapothecary.com/

DeSiRe

The Get It Girl
BGOL Investor
thanks ladies im gonna try it out :)

im gonna try making some whipped shea butter....anyone ever try making it before? im concerned about it maintaining the whipped consistency

Izayoi

Scooty Puff Pilot
BGOL Investor
Which scents do you tend to like, or suggestions

I mainly use them medicinally not based on smell Sherminator, but off the top of my head Sandlewood, and Palmorosa are very fragrant but not too fruity. Many people like geranium (flowery). Sandlewood shows up in mens cosmetics sometimes. I think the chamomile eo has a jasmine tea smell that is nice.If you are looking for something to use around the house, lemon and tangerine are very bright citrus essential oils. If you diffuse lemon, some think it helps with depression and concentration. I actually love the stronger more medicinal smell of lemongrass but that's subjective. Jasmine is nice, but can be pricey.

My aromatherapy teacher friend suggested everyone just start with 3 or 4 oils they really liked and then played with combinations. It's very personal like perfumery if you are mainly going on smell. If you have never used them you may want to go to Whole Foods or a good natural food store and smell some testers. HOWEVER, if the quality of the oils are bad or the oils are synthetic (like the ones you find people selling on the street) they tend to be super strong and that may put you off. Synthetic and poor quality oils have that burnt incense undertone that I can't stand. You might also want to search men or unisex "solid perfumes" on etsy. A lot of vendors make scented solid bases with essential oils. You might see some combinations for men that interest you.

Desire: I've not made whipped shea, but when you whip something you are introducing air. It should be fine. However, you may want to use a good hand mixer if you are introducing thinner oils or aloe to the shea so it doesn't separate. LI can probably tell you more. :)

LI: Ofcourse. Every naturalista should know about Ananda. ;)

Last edited:

DeSiRe

The Get It Girl
BGOL Investor
Desire: I've not made whipped shea, but when you whip something you are introducing air. It should be fine. However, you may want to use a good hand mixer if you are introducing thinner oils or aloe to the shea so it doesn't separate. LI can probably tell you more. :)

ive read about rosemary oil and tea tree oils work as preservatives

i also plan on adding coconut oil, joboba oil, and vitamin e

i just hope the consistency doesnt get oily and chunky after a week or so

sherminator

They hate to see us wiiiiinnnniiinnng
Registered
I mainly use them medicinally not based on smell Sherminator, but off the top of my head Sandlewood, and Palmorosa are very fragrant but not too fruity. Many people like geranium (flowery). Sandlewood shows up in mens cosmetics sometimes. I think the chamomile eo has a jasmine tea smell that is nice.If you are looking for something to use around the house, lemon and tangerine are very bright citrus essential oils. If you diffuse lemon, some think it helps with depression and concentration. I actually love the stronger more medicinal smell of lemongrass but that's subjective. Jasmine is nice, but can be pricey.

My aromatherapy teacher friend suggested everyone just start with 3 or 4 oils they really liked and then played with combinations. It's very personal like perfumery if you are mainly going on smell. If you have never used them you may want to go to Whole Foods or a good natural food store and smell some testers. HOWEVER, if the quality of the oils are bad or the oils are synthetic (like the ones you find people selling on the street) they tend to be super strong and that may put you off. Synthetic and poor quality oils have that burnt incense undertone that I can't stand. You might also want to search men or unisex "solid perfumes" on etsy. A lot of vendors make scented solid bases with essential oils. You might see some combinations for men that interest you.

Thanks queen :dance:

mailboxpimp

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Unfortunately not all essential oils are created equal. In fact many, if not all the oils on the market are what is called “perfume quality” or “4th & 5th quality oils. These are over-processed, chemical laden, highly adulterated & de-natured products that, in reality, are little more than cheap perfume made from various odorous plants. This includes oils found in health food stores. Many people think that when they buy an oil that is labeled as “100% pure” they are getting good oils. This is far from true. Pure unadulterated essential oil is very hard to come by & can be very expensive. One reason for this is because it can take as many as 500 to 2,000 pounds or more of raw plant material to produce just a pound of pure essential oil. To maintain all of the therapeutic qualities, it must be extracted by steam distillation using extremely low pressure & low heat so as not to defile the quality of the oil.

There are 4 grades of essential oils:

PURE - This means the oil was not diluted with a lesser quality essential oil. For example: lavender oil is often cut with lavendin, which has very little therapeutic quality. “Pure” does not mean it has no chemicals added to it. It could be 75% vegetable oil & 25% essential oil & still be labeled “100% Pure.” In the U.S., you are only required to have 5% essential oil in the bottle to label it “Pure.”

NATURAL - This means the oil was not adulterated with vegetable oils, propylene glycol, SD Alcohol 40 or other chemicals.

COMPLETE - This means the oil was distilled at low heat & low pressure so that all the therapeutic properties are there. They have not been rectified or purified (which means stripped or redistilled.) Essential oils are often redistilled to make a small amount of oil go farther. They can make more profit that way. The problem is, when you redistill the oil you lose the therapeutic properties. It’s like using a tea bag over & over again. ** An example: France is the number one producer of lavender oil. In 1997 they produced 25 tons of lavender and 67 tons were shipped to the U.S. Melissa oil is another example. It is very hard to produce. Out of 52 pounds of pure melissa oil, 1000 pounds were exported. What is wrong with this picture?

** There are anywhere from 200 – 800 chemical constituents that make up a single essential oil. When the oil is not distilled properly, you will be left with as few as 10.

GENUINE & AUTHENTIC or GRADE A - These are the cream of the crop. Great care is taken at every step of the process. Seeds- not from hybrids, soil- organic soil that never has chemicals put on it. Chemicals are never used on the plants in the field. Distillation by steam at low pressure & low temperature in upright containers & no chemicals are ever used in the process. Must have clarity of definition (one plant could have 200 species.) The time in the distiller is also important- cypress oil needs to be distilled for 24 hours. Many companies will distill at higher temperature for a shorter time. This will destroy the quality of the oil. The distiller must be no more than 50 miles away from the sight where the plants were harvested, must have Gas Chromatograph readings with an embossed seal that does not come from their own lab. Then & only then can they have the words “Grade A” on the label.

The Scale
Not all essential oils have the same vibrational frequency. Currently, the highest measured frequency of any pure, therapeutic-grade essential oil is 320 MHz – equivalent to 320,000,000 cycles per second. The scale begins at zero; here, no energy is cycling and no signs of life are present. Frequencies can be separated into three ranges:

LOW
Support physical ailments

MID
Promote emotional change

HIGH
Encourage spiritual growth and realisation

mailboxpimp

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Frequency & the human body

FREQUENCY & THE HUMAN BODY

* Measurements on the human body found that a healthy person has a frequency around 62-68 MHz.

* When a person’s frequency dips to 58 MHz, cold symptoms can manifest.

* Flu symptoms start at 57 MHz, Candida at 55 MHz, and Epstein Barr syndrome at 52 MHz.

* Cancer can begin when the body falls below 42 MHz.

* The process of dying begins at 25 MHz and goes to zero at death.

DeSiRe

The Get It Girl
BGOL Investor
i saw some essential oils at ulta the other day:dance:

also alot of metaphysical shops that sell crystals have a great essential oil and herb section...these places are hidden but once you find one you'll see they are everywhere!

anyone use any of the following oils?
sandalwood
lemongrass
plumeria
hibiscus

how do those work for you? Sandalwood is so expensive, is it worth it?

Izayoi

Scooty Puff Pilot
BGOL Investor
i saw some essential oils at ulta the other day:dance:

also alot of metaphysical shops that sell crystals have a great essential oil and herb section...these places are hidden but once you find one you'll see they are everywhere!

anyone use any of the following oils?
sandalwood
lemongrass
plumeria
hibiscus

how do those work for you? Sandalwood is so expensive, is it worth it?

Real sandlewood is expensive. It's a nice, woodsy, unisex kind of smell.Lemongrass will burn your skin if you use too much and has a lemony and yet slightly camphorish odor. I don't mind it though. In a very very small amount (like a drop or two in a blend) it smells good.

Plumeria and hibscus sound like fragance oils rather than essential oil. I don't really like fragrance oils, but maybe they are ok. Dried Hibiscus flowers make a nice tea.

dHustla

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Real sandlewood is expensive. It's a nice, woodsy, unisex kind of smell.Lemongrass will burn your skin if you use too much and has a lemony and yet slightly camphorish odor. I don't mind it though. In a very very small amount (like a drop or two in a blend) it smells good.

Plumeria and hibscus sound like fragance oils rather than essential oil. I don't really like fragrance oils, but maybe they are ok. Dried Hibiscus flowers make a nice tea.

So what's the difference between fragrance oils & essential oils? What constitutes an "essential" oil?

Izayoi

Scooty Puff Pilot
BGOL Investor
So what's the difference between fragrance oils & essential oils? What constitutes an "essential" oil?

Fragrance oils are often synthetic. Essential oils are the oily/fatty substances distilled from the plants. Hydrosols contain the water soluble parts I believe. There may be Hibuscus essential oils but the ones I often see listed are fragrance oils.

DeSiRe

The Get It Girl
BGOL Investor

thanks for the info on lemongrass...it seemed a bit strong to me as well:yes:

fragrance oils usually have carrier oils in them like jojoba or something right?...thats why i dont like them because i feel like im paying for a diluted product:smh:

another oil that i am looking for is melissa...my mother is on blood thinners and brusies easily and i would love for her to use it...but i saw the price on like...its OUTRAGEOUS..is there a cheaper place to buy it?

im thinking about making her a balm with some beeswax...or maybe a gel with some aloe jelly :)

Izayoi

Scooty Puff Pilot
BGOL Investor
Melissa is expensive (I just ordered some). It is a very popular order with a wide range of uses and is expensive to produce so just order the smallest size you can if you need it! It is very effective in small doses (even 1 or 2 drops).

Balms are easy to make with natural beeswax (the better kind smells a little like honey. I found some old hard beeswax for sale at an herb store and it was not nearly as nice as the softer fresh pastilles I order from From Nature With Love).

Aloe mixes well with essential oils and it is very cooling and soothing. Your mom might appreciate that. :)

DeSiRe

The Get It Girl
BGOL Investor
Melissa is expensive (I just ordered some). It is a very popular order with a wide range of uses and is expensive to produce so just order the smallest size you can if you need it! It is very effective in small doses (even 1 or 2 drops).

Balms are easy to make with natural beeswax (the better kind smells a little like honey. I found some old hard beeswax for sale at an herb store and it was not nearly as nice as the softer fresh pastilles I order from From Nature With Love).

Aloe mixes well with essential oils and it is very cooling and soothing. Your mom might appreciate that. :)

how do you use ur melissa?

im gonna try a balm with some lavender or maybe aloe and peppermint...and i think im gonna check your place out cause the beeswax i have is from micheals :lol:

i had to buy some on the fly for a recipe i was trying and i swear my lotion was turning into candles as i was pouring it

Izayoi

Scooty Puff Pilot
BGOL Investor
how do you use ur melissa?

im gonna try a balm with some lavender or maybe aloe and peppermint...and i think im gonna check your place out cause the beeswax i have is from micheals :lol:

i had to buy some on the fly for a recipe i was trying and i swear my lotion was turning into candles as i was pouring it

Girl Michaels be on that bullshit. :lol:
Melissa is good for headaches.

Lyricallye

Support BGOL
Registered
What you want is Young Living Oils. They're therapeutic/food grade and you can make money (or earn free oils). I put em in my hair,

put em in my locs (purification/peppermint/frankincense)
treat a cold (peppermint/thieves/lemon)
put in my tea
use for headache
alert (rosemary)
asthma

referred to people to treat: high blood pressure, mood, cramps, treat eczema

bottoms of feet and under tongue are the fastest ways to get it in your blodstream.

Go to the website and join using referring member # 1242882 for free. Get either of the intro kits and tell 2 people that month, and get the kit cost back. Hit me for more info.

Reference Manual: http://www.embedupload.com/?d=7ABZVKGSI4

Last edited: