Clarence Thomas A Lost Cause ?

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
I hate to switch the subject. But how is it so easy to be johnny on the spot in regards to any right ringer, yet deny anything from the left. You're quick to find anything that puts him in a bad light. Bill Ayers anyone? If Thomas broke laws he should be dealt with according to the law. What about all of Obama's shady dealings that to this day you deny. Ask yourself, Has he been arrested, Has any charges been filed. Ok see ya later. See the problem with you guys is that you take a chance(50/50 give or take how the country is split) on your policies at the ballot box, which is why you look to the courts and liberal politicians to assist you. You guys are so transparent. One man doesn't stop the show. Their are others who agree with him. You single out one man because of his thoughts. To me democrats suck no matter the race. I don't pick out one in particular just because we share the same skin color.

Yet again, someone brings up ethnicity when it's not part of the conversation. What is the Black "conservative's" obsession with ethnicity and race? If this thread was started about Scalia, I would be in it. In fact, I think there was a Scalia thread and I was in it.
I'm singling out Thomas because this is a specific thread about Thomas.
What, and be specific, things illegal did Obama do with Ayers? What illegal activity was he accused of doing with Ayers? "Shady deals" are part of politics and are all about who's doing them at the time. When it's Republicans doing it, their shady to Democrats and vice versa.
Doesn't every political philosophy take their chances at the ballot box? Don't both sides look to the courts to bolster their side? What are you talking about?

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
I hate to switch the subject. But . . .

Why did you? The discussion was just getting good when you were challenged by the Poster who stated, "I wait for someone to actually defend Thomas and his behavior."

Why did you switch, instead of defend ? ? ?

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
Why did you? The discussion was just getting good when you were challenged by the Poster who stated, "I wait for someone to actually defend Thomas and his behavior."

Because he can't, no one can. Thomas is looking more and more corrupt all the time and there isnt an equivalent on the left leaning side of the bench.

muckraker10021

Superstar *****
BGOL Investor
logo.png

Clarence Thomas Doesn't Mind Being
The Odd Man Out

The conservative recently hit his 20-year anniversary as a Supreme Court nominee. His career on the bench has been marked by his willingness to stand alone in dissent.

ibpGKg.png

by David G. Savage

July 2, 2011

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-clarence-thomas-20110703,0,650851,full.story

Twenty years ago last Friday, President George H.W. Bush nominated Thomas to the nation's highest court. In the years since, Thomas has routinely been referred to as a member of the court's conservative bloc. But the label hardly captures the distinctiveness of his record. In an institution where the ability to decide the law depends on creating a five-vote majority, no other justice is so proud of standing alone.

He strictly avoids the give-and-take among justices during oral arguments; he has not asked a question or made a comment in more than five years.

<SPAN STYLE="background-color:YELLOW"><b>And his most provocative opinions have been solo dissents. Among them, he has declared that the Constitution gives states a right to establish an official religion. Prisoners, he wrote, have no constitutional right to be protected from beatings by guards. Teenagers and students have no free-speech rights at all, he said in an opinion Monday, because in the 18th century, when the Constitution was written, parents had "absolute authority" over their children.</b></span>

Two years ago, the court ruled 8-1 that a school official could not strip-search a 13-year-old girl to look for two extra-strength ibuprofen pills. <SPAN STYLE="background-color:YELLOW"><b>Thomas — alone — dissented, calling the search of her underwear "reasonable and justified."</b></span>

Alone, <SPAN STYLE="background-color:YELLOW"><b>he voted to strike down a key part of the Voting Rights Act that is credited with giving blacks political power in the South.</b></span> And he was the lone justice to uphold the George W. Bush administration's view that an American citizen could be held as an "enemy combatant" with no charges and no hearing.

He is seen as a sure vote to strike down President Obama's healthcare law and its insurance mandate because he already has called for striking down a wide range of 20th century federal laws that regulate business, saying they go beyond Congress' power.

Conservative scholars who admire Thomas say he, more than any justice, exemplifies the legal theory of "originalism" — the idea that the Constitution must be interpreted solely as its words would have been understood by those who approved it 222 years ago.

"He looks to how the Constitution was understood at the time of the ratification. He goes to first principles. And he is willing to challenge precedents that deviate from the original understanding," said John Eastman, a Chapman University law professor and former Thomas clerk.

His critics see a justice out of step with the court and the country.

"He is the most radical justice to serve on the court in decades," said Erwin Chemerinsky, dean of the UC Irvine Law School and a liberal constitutional scholar. He "would change the law dramatically and give little weight to precedent. It's easy to overlook how radical [he is] because his are usually sole opinions that do not get attention."

During most of his tenure, Thomas rarely has written major opinions for the court. Because his views did not sit well with the moderate justices needed to form a majority, former Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist often assigned him tax and bankruptcy cases.

But this year, under current Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr., he has spoken for the court's conservative majority in significant decisions that limited the rights of prisoners, which has become his signature issue. In March, he announced a 5-4 decision that threw out a $14-million jury verdict in favor of a black Louisiana man who had been convicted of murder and nearly executed because prosecutors hid evidence that could have proven his innocence.

A month later, Thomas said a state's "sovereign immunity" barred inmates from suing for damages when their freedom of religion had been violated.

Still, it is Thomas' willingness to go solo that most defines his career. It is a tendency that was almost certainly reinforced by his bitter and ugly confirmation fight in the Senate, which was dominated by questions about his qualifications and allegations that he had sexually harassed former aide Anita Hill. Bruised, he withdrew to a closed circle of loyal friends and clerks.

The relationship with his clerks remains close. "They're my little family. They're my kids, and I just really like having them around," Thomas told legal editor Bryan Garner in 2007. The clerks take the lead in writing and editing opinions, he said.

"Nothing comes to me that hasn't been through aggressive editing" by all of the clerks, Thomas said.

And there is no room for contrary views. "I won't hire clerks who have profound disagreements with me," Thomas told a Dallas group. "It's like trying to train a pig. It wastes your time, and it aggravates the pig."

From the start, Thomas was destined to be controversial. He is an African American conservative who was named to replace a civil rights legend and leading liberal.

It was the last week of June 1991 when Justice Thurgood Marshall, the court's first African American, announced he would retire. That week, Thomas turned 43. He had spent the 1980s as a Reagan appointee heading two civil rights offices and had earned a reputation as an outspoken conservative. He had served one year as a judge on the U.S. Court of Appeals in Washington.

The elder Bush announced Thomas' nomination July 1. "The fact that he is black and a minority had nothing to do with this in the sense that he is the best-qualified at this time," Bush said.

At his confirmation, Thomas reassured senators he would bring "no agenda" or ideology to the court. "I believe I can bring something different, that I can walk in the shoes of the people who are affected by what the court does," he testified, referring to his childhood poverty. He said that seeing "busload after busload" of mostly African American criminal defendants arriving at the District of Columbia courthouse, "I say to myself almost every day, 'But for the grace of God, there go I.'"

He was confirmed by a 52-48 vote, the closest victory margin for a justice in more than 100 years.

Thomas has proven to be the ideological opposite of Marshall. "They are virtually mirror images of each other," said USC law professor Lee Epstein, who tracks justices' voting behavior. Marshall and William O. Douglas were the most liberal members of the Warren Burger court in the 1970s. Thomas has been the most conservative member of the Rehnquist and Roberts courts, Epstein said.

Nowhere is the difference more apparent than in cases involving prisoners. <SPAN STYLE="background-color:YELLOW"><b>Marshall wrote the court's opinion holding that deliberately subjecting prisoners to cruelty, including refusing them needed medical care, can violate the Constitution's ban on cruel and unusual punishment.</b></span>

<SPAN STYLE="background-color:YELLOW"><b>Thomas, alone among his colleagues, continues to oppose that ruling. The constitutional ban has nothing to do with what happens to an inmate in prison, he argues; it only limits what sentence the defendant may receive. "Judges or juries — but not jailors — impose punishment," he said. By that standard, brutal beatings meted out by a guard do not qualify as unconstitutional punishment.</b></span>

In November 1991, two months after Thomas took his seat on the court, the justices heard the case of Keith Hudson, a Louisiana prisoner who had been handcuffed and then repeatedly punched in the face and kicked by a guard. His teeth and dental plate were cracked. He sued, and a magistrate awarded him $800 in damages.

Roberts, then the Bush administration's 36-year-old deputy solicitor general, argued on behalf of the prisoner. He said that although guards may use force to maintain discipline, it is cruel and unusual punishment for them to brutally beat inmates. The Supreme Court agreed in a 7-2 decision. <SPAN STYLE="background-color:YELLOW"><b>Thomas dissented. "In my view, a use of force which causes only insignificant harm to a prisoner … is not 'cruel and unusual punishment,'" he wrote. Thomas' approach would permit the torturing of prisoners, Justice Harry Blackmun said.</b></span>

<SPAN STYLE="background-color:YELLOW"><b>Whenever the court has rebuked prosecutors for removing blacks from a jury, Thomas has dissented.</b></span> And when a 7-2 decision sided with a black manager at a Cracker Barrel who was fired after complaining about the mistreatment of another black employee, Thomas dissented. "Retaliation is not racial discrimination," he wrote.

Decisions of that sort have made Thomas, the only black justice, a divisive figure among many African Americans. Last month, he was invited to speak in Augusta, Ga., at the dedication of a new county courthouse to be named for Judge John Ruffin, a civil rights pioneer and the first black superior court judge in the city.

Some protested the choice. "Ruffin detested Clarence Thomas," said Mallory Millender, a retired professor from Paine College in Augusta.

Ruffin's widow, Judith Fennell Ruffin, said she was honored the justice would participate in the tribute to her late husband. "We may have different opinions, but he was coming as our guest," she said.

Thomas spoke to the local bar and denounced the "cynics" who "demonize" the court without reading its opinions. "I think there is a disease of illiteracy or laziness, because just the commentary will tell you they haven't read it," he said.

Away from the court, Thomas offers mixed views of his job. He rarely speaks about the law, even when addressing law students, except to say the justices get along well. "I have never heard an unkind word" in the court's private conferences, he says.

"There's not much that entices about the job," he told another college crowd in California. "There's no money in it. No privacy. No big houses. And from an ego standpoint, it does nothing for me." While it is an honor to be a Supreme Court justice, "I wouldn't say I like it. I like sports. I like to drive a motor home," he said.

What he and his wife, Virginia, really enjoy, he says, is taking to the road in the summer in their 40-foot motor coach and meeting new friends at RV parks.

Still, he figures to be on the court for many years to come. Marshall was 83 when he retired, and Thomas, now 63, says he would like to match him. If so, Thomas is at the midpoint of his court career, with 20 more years ahead of him.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
The highlighted is just...I dont have words.

Please, Dmain Event, AAA defend this. No deflecting, just defend Thomas or acknowledge his bullsh!t.

Dmain_Event

Star
Registered
The highlighted is just...I dont have words.

Please, Dmain Event, AAA defend this. No deflecting, just defend Thomas or acknowledge his bullsh!t.

Read the stuff in Yellow. Don't see the big deal. You do understand he is a strict constructionalist right? That means he believes in upholding the law as it now stands (the way he interprets it). If he and the other justices agree then things are declared unconstitutional. If not laws are upheld. If you want to change the law then

AND LET ME FUCKING REPEAT FOR THE LAST TIME...

PASS A CONSTITUTIONAL AMMENDMENT:angry::angry::angry::angry:

Then he, as a strict constructionalist, will uphold that law...

The man doesn't legislate from the bench. What don't you get about this:confused::confused:

Like I said, I see nothing wrong with any of his judgments here. Having not read any of the cases I can't say I agree or disagree with his judgments, but he is upholding the law.

To make this simple for you, there are 3 branches of government, One makes the law, one Signs (Executes) it, one Judges if the law is constitutional (BTW: this is 1000 foot look at there roles so don't go listing everything they do and then come in here saying I missed something :lol:). They all are sworn to UPHOLD THE CONSTITUTION.

With that knowledge in mind rethink your positions.

:dance::dance::dance::dance:

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Read the stuff in Yellow. Don't see the big deal. You do understand he is a strict constructionalist right? That means he believes in upholding the law as it now stands (the way he interprets it).
Not so fast Counselor. Strict constructionist ("SC") means no such thing.

SC is a brand of judicial interpretation in which its practioners attempt to interpret the meaning of the Constitution or statutes by, as they say, looking at the text as it is written - or - by looking to the plain meaning of the words.

Of course, the silly notion overlooks that words and phrases vary by the context they were used and the thoughts attempted to be conveyed. Hence, using SC to interpret the Constitution, especially with the backdrop of modern society is absurd and is often apt to lead to judicial absurdities. That is, as many students of the Constitution like to point out:

• A law which states that "whoever draws blood in the streets, shall be punished with the utmost severity" - - was enacted to apply to situations where one party bludgeons, cuts, etc., another in public;

Now, using SC to interpret that same statute, results in idiocy up against simple facts:

• A doctor performs an emergency appendectomy right in the middle of the gotdamn street to save the life of his grateful patient.

A strict contructionist interpretation of the statute would demand that the doctor serve time, i.e., for it must be admitted that he opened the stomach cavity of his patient causing him to bleed, litterally, in the damn streets!

Perhaps even you would admit, though Thomas would not, thats a fucking absurdity!

If he and the other justices agree then things are declared unconstitutional. If not laws are upheld. If you want to change the law then

Again, hold your horses.

First, if you read the <SPAN style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff00">highlighted text</span> above you should note that in most of the cases Thomas stood ALONE in his irrational rationality. He was NOT in the majority. But, he was in the absurdity!

Like I said, I see nothing wrong with any of his judgments here. Having not read any of the cases I can't say I agree or disagree with his judgments, but he is upholding the law.
I understand that you may not be a lawyer or someone learned in Constitutional law. But, can you honestly say that Clarence used "common sense" in the highlighted text above ? Or, do you too subscribe to strict construction, no matter how absurd the result ???

With that knowledge in mind, whats your position ???

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
Read the stuff in Yellow. Don't see the big deal. You do understand he is a strict constructionalist right? That means he believes in upholding the law as it now stands (the way he interprets it). If he and the other justices agree then things are declared unconstitutional. If not laws are upheld. If you want to change the law then

Then he, as a strict constructionalist, will uphold that law...

The man doesn't legislate from the bench. What don't you get about this:confused::confused:

To make this simple for you, there are 3 branches of government, One makes the law, one Signs (Executes) it, one Judges if the law is constitutional (BTW: this is 1000 foot look at there roles so don't go listing everything they do and then come in here saying I missed something :lol:). They all are sworn to UPHOLD THE CONSTITUTION.

With that knowledge in mind rethink your positions.

:dance::dance::dance::dance:

With that knowledge I see now that there are those who call themselves "conservative" who don't allow reality or honesty to interfere with their intent to enforce their distorted philosophy on everyone else even though it's not even close to be actually conservative.
In those highlighted passages, Thomas isn't interpreting the Constitution but taking activism to new levels, all of them lower than the last. The State can establish an official religion? Prisoners have no right to not be beating by guards? A minor can be strip searched by a state authority? American citizens held without being charged? There are clear amendments against these and yet Thomas went contrary to them.
He's shameful and Dmain, your attempt to defend him is equally shameful.

Dmain_Event

Star
Registered
Not so fast Counselor. Strict constructionist ("SC") means no such thing.

Boy howdy... I see I have a lot of work to do...
Oh well, Its easy when your right:D

SC is a brand of judicial interpretation in which its practioners attempt to interpret the meaning of the Constitution or statutes by, as they say, looking at the text as it is written - or - by looking to the plain meaning of the words.

Good so far... your learning so much:yes::yes:

Of course, the silly notion overlooks that words and phrases vary by the context they were used and the thoughts attempted to be conveyed. Hence, using SC to interpret the Constitution, especially with the backdrop of modern society is absurd and is often apt to lead to judicial absurdities. That is, as many students of the Constitution like to point out:

This is where even a 3rd grade education would have helped you... Because, as you stated, words and phrases vary by the context they were used...
That is why you...

And this is a big concept here, so you might want to sit down and put on your thinking cap

USE THE CONTEXT IN WHICH THE DOCUMENT WAS WRITTEN:eek::eek:

You don't switch up the context to YOUR context... That is what you would call JUDICIAL ACTIVISM

Let's use your own example to illustrate your absurd logic shall we... and forgive me, but I am not the smartest tool in the shed (what does that make you?)...

• A law which states that "whoever draws blood in the streets, shall be punished with the utmost severity" - - was enacted to apply to situations where one party bludgeons, cuts, etc., another in public;

Now, using SC to interpret that same statute, results in idiocy up against simple facts:

• A doctor performs an emergency appendectomy right in the middle of the gotdamn street to save the life of his grateful patient.

A strict contructionist interpretation of the statute would demand that the doctor serve time, i.e., for it must be admitted that he opened the stomach cavity of his patient causing him to bleed, litterally, in the damn streets!

Why don't you try and use the historical and culture context of the phrase "draw blood" (which is incidentally still used today... so I am dumbfounded why you would use this as an example... but remember, I am not the sharpest tool in the shed)

In the time that phrase was used consistently, the CONTEXT in which it was used meant to violently confront someone... Don't quote me but look it up... you could use the mental exercise...

So even a doctor back then wouldn't be arrested...
I'm surprised you didn't say that Michael Angelo would be arrest for "Drawing-Blood". That is the logical equivalent and its equally absurd.
Perhaps even you would admit, though Thomas would not, thats a fucking absurdity!

Again, hold your horses.

First, if you read the <SPAN style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff00">highlighted text</span> above you should note that in most of the cases Thomas stood ALONE in his irrational rationality. He was NOT in the majority. But, he was in the absurdity!

His judgments were his judgments based on his strict constitutionalist interpretation (using the historical context to ensure he doesn't convict artist's for sketching blood)... I haven't read those cases, not sure if I would have made an argument either way as I am not completely versed in constitutional law, but I can respect the man for taking an unpopular stand. Pretty sure a guy like you doesn't have the stones to stand on his judgments. Like I said, don't like it amend the constitution.

I understand that you may not be a lawyer or someone learned in Constitutional law. But, can you honestly say that Clarence used "common sense" in the highlighted text above ? Or, do you too subscribe to strict construction, no matter how absurd the result ???

Don't recall saying anything about common sense. Pretty sure you are not supposed to judge base on common sense but on the law...

Follow the law, and if you don't like it amend it. In that sense I stick with the law no matter how absurd... Else I am left with the judgment of men like you who want the gains of others hard work. That's not how I live my life.

This is too easy:cool::cool::cool:

With that knowledge in mind, whats your position ???[/QUOTE]

Dmain_Event

Star
Registered
With that knowledge I see now that there are those who call themselves "conservative" who don't allow reality or honesty to interfere with their intent to enforce their distorted philosophy on everyone else even though it's not even close to be actually conservative.

Like your pall, your say alot of stuff that means nothing at all... Your a mental masturbator in addittion to a garden variety one...

In those highlighted passages, Thomas isn't interpreting the Constitution but taking activism to new levels, all of them lower than the last.
As long as he is basing his judgement's off of the law it isn't activism. If he were using foreign law, or shariah law, or "Das Kapital" to make official judgements like some judges I know then that is activism.
The State can establish an official religion?
Yes. The Federal government can not have an official state religion... The states can establish one if they want...
Prisoners have no right to not be beating by guards?
As long as it isn't cruel and unusual, and that will vary from community to community.
A minor can be strip searched by a state authority?
That one is a little out there. Again, I haven't read the cases or the judgments. So I have little comment for that one.
American citizens held without being charged?
There are clear amendments against these and yet Thomas went contrary to them.
Again didn't read the judgments, some of these seem a little weird I'll give it to you. But list the amendments on the books now that prohibit the first two and I will concede this argument...

He's shameful and Dmain, your attempt to defend him is equally shameful.

I defend the man because I admire his work and the fact that he stands against the tyde. He is a man I can respect... You say he is shamefull... Like I said, you say alot of things with little to backup your assertions, that is your opinion... I could care less what you think...

Now... Back to porn...
:dance::dance::dance:

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
Like your pall, your say alot of stuff that means nothing at all... Your a mental masturbator in addittion to a garden variety one...

Okay. I'm sure that meant something in response to what I said but I don't see how so I don't have a real retort.

As long as he is basing his judgement's off of the law it isn't activism. If he were using foreign law, or shariah law, or "Das Kapital" to make official judgements like some judges I know then that is activism.

He, and his fans, may make that claim but he's not actually doing that.

Yes. The Federal government can not have an official state religion... The states can establish one if they want...

You would almost have an argument there but it's been decided that the 1st Amendment holds for the states as well, since the 1920s in fact. So in that one, Thomas clearly goes on his own just to be contrary.

As long as it isn't cruel and unusual, and that will vary from community to community.

Now you, and he, are just being ridiculous. How does one beat someone in a gentle and usual way? Get some morals and stop co-signing someone just because you like them.

That one is a little out there. Again, I haven't read the cases or the judgments. So I have little comment for that one.

Again didn't read the judgments, some of these seem a little weird I'll give it to you. But list the amendments on the books now that prohibit the first two and I will concede this argument...
Weird? Gifted with understatement, I see. Okay.

I defend the man because I admire his work and the fact that he stands against the tyde. He is a man I can respect... You say he is shamefull... Like I said, you say alot of things with little to backup your assertions, that is your opinion... I could care less what you think...

What admirable work has he done since being selected for the Supreme Court? What admirable stand has he taken except in the service of the powerful and connected?
I say very little I can't back up. You just don't like what I say and it probably calls into question your hero's (and your own) integrity and honesty.
Why do you care so much about what I think? I appreciate it but it's not that serious.

Dmain_Event

Star
Registered
Okay. I'm sure that meant something in response to what I said but I don't see how so I don't have a real retort.

You waste your time and energy and logical processes that bear no fruit, you mentally masturbate, and since your on a porn board, I just assume you physically masterbate... Simple huh?:cool:

He, and his fans, may make that claim but he's not actually doing that.
You aint said anything... So I say I disagree.

You would almost have an argument there but it's been decided that the 1st Amendment holds for the states as well, since the 1920s in fact. So in that one, Thomas clearly goes on his own just to be contrary.

You reds keep quoting the first half of the first part of the first amendment, quote the rest of it...

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances. "

If you read the federalist papers, the framers and other elected officials at the time discuss what they meant, and they tell us that The Fed can not establish a state religion, that leaves the free exercise of the states to do that... Remember, the constitution limits what the federal government can do... the states can go nuts... as long as they don't violate the constitution.

Hell, All the states could go blood red and establish hard left governments in all state capitals... but the federal government can't...
Now you, and he, are just being ridiculous. How does one beat someone in a gentle and usual way? Get some morals and stop co-signing someone just because you like them.

Just don't beat them till there incapacitated, and they suffer no real ill effects. Again, it will vary from community to community, also again, it is not the law right now, so don't worry about it.

Weird? Gifted with understatement, I see. Okay.

I'm a glass half full kind-of guy... Probably why I am not a Communist... er... I mean Democrat

What admirable work has he done since being selected for the Supreme Court? What admirable stand has he taken except in the service of the powerful and connected?
I say very little I can't back up. You just don't like what I say and it probably calls into question your hero's (and your own) integrity and honesty.
Why do you care so much about what I think? I appreciate it but it's not that serious.

Taken stands on things he felt were right despite the political or popular backlash. The man is a literal pariah in the black community (I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing, I would hope it was a bad thing) and that can't be easy... I find it hard to discuss my beliefs with my family at dinner, Imagine being bombarded with semi-racists, and inter-racists barbs all just for standing up for what you believe... It's easy to stand up on a street corner and yell what people want to hear, not so easy when you think they are on the wrong path and you are letting them know it.

Again, I admire the man and you have not said anything to convince me otherwise.

back to porn...
:dance::dance::dance:

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
You reds keep quoting the first half of the first part of the first amendment, quote the rest of it...

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances. "

If you read the federalist papers, the framers and other elected officials at the time discuss what they meant, and they tell us that The Fed can not establish a state religion, that leaves the free exercise of the states to do that... Remember, the constitution limits what the federal government can do... the states can go nuts... as long as they don't violate the constitution.

:smh: That is just not the law.

The First Amendment, through the doctrine of incorporation, was made applicable to the states through the 14th Amendment by the U.S. Supeme Court in Everson v. Board of Education, 330 U.S. 1, 67 S.Ct. 504 (1947). In that case the Everson Court emphatically pointed out, 67 S.Ct. at 511-512:

". . . this Court in its decisions concerning an individual's religious freedom rendered since the Fourteenth Amendment was interpreted to make the prohibitions of the First applicable to state action abridging religious freedom.

The ‘establishment of religion’ clause of the First Amendment means at least this:

<SPAN style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff00">Neither a state nor the Federal Government</span> can set up a church. <SPAN style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff00">Neither</span> can pass laws which aid one religion, aid all religions, or prefer one religion over another. <SPAN style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff00">Neither</span> can force nor influence a person to go to or to remain away from church against his will or force him to profess a belief or disbelief in any religion.
No person can be punished for entertaining*16 or professing religious beliefs or disbeliefs, for church attendance or non-attendance. No tax in any amount, large or small, can be levied to support any religious activities or institutions, whatever they may be called, or whatever form they may adopt to **512 teach or practice religion. <SPAN style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff00">Neither</span> a state nor the Federal Government can, openly or secretly, participate in the affairs of any religious organizations or groups and vice versa. In the words of Jefferson, the clause against establishment of religion by law was intended to erect ‘a wall of separation between Church and State.’ Reynolds v. United States, supra, 98 U.S. at page 164, 25 L.Ed. 244."​

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
You waste your time and energy and logical processes

Now that's the truth and the first from you in a while.

That's just not true. Why are you so allergic to the truth? It would make this so much more productive.

Just don't beat them till there incapacitated, and they suffer no real ill effects. Again, it will vary from community to community, also again, it is not the law right now, so don't worry about it.
You can't be that immoral. Thomas has shown he is but you can't be, you have to be just talking.
I'm not worried about it. I'm trying to figure where your head is and if there is some logical, factual basis for your beliefs.

Taken stands on things he felt were right despite the political or popular backlash. The man is a literal pariah in the black community (I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing, I would hope it was a bad thing) and that can't be easy... I find it hard to discuss my beliefs with my family at dinner, Imagine being bombarded with semi-racists, and inter-racists barbs all just for standing up for what you believe... It's easy to stand up on a street corner and yell what people want to hear, not so easy when you think they are on the wrong path and you are letting them know it.

Again, I admire the man and you have not said anything to convince me otherwise.

Your standards are extremely low. That said, I made no effort to change how you feel about Clarence Thomas. There's somebody for everybody.

The First Amendment, through the doctrine of incorporation, was made applicable to the states through the 14th Amendment by the U.S. Supeme Court in Everson v. Board of Education, 330 U.S. 1, 67 S.Ct. 504 (1947). In that case the Everson Court emphatically pointed out, 67 S.Ct. at 511-512:

". . . this Court in its decisions concerning an individual's religious freedom rendered since the Fourteenth Amendment was interpreted to make the prohibitions of the First applicable to state action abridging religious freedom.

The ‘establishment of religion’ clause of the First Amendment means at least this:

<SPAN style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff00">Neither a state nor the Federal Government</span> can set up a church. <SPAN style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff00">Neither</span> can pass laws which aid one religion, aid all religions, or prefer one religion over another. <SPAN style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff00">Neither</span> can force nor influence a person to go to or to remain away from church against his will or force him to profess a belief or disbelief in any religion.
No person can be punished for entertaining*16 or professing religious beliefs or disbeliefs, for church attendance or non-attendance. No tax in any amount, large or small, can be levied to support any religious activities or institutions, whatever they may be called, or whatever form they may adopt to **512 teach or practice religion. <SPAN style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff00">Neither</span> a state nor the Federal Government can, openly or secretly, participate in the affairs of any religious organizations or groups and vice versa. In the words of Jefferson, the clause against establishment of religion by law was intended to erect ‘a wall of separation between Church and State.’ Reynolds v. United States, supra, 98 U.S. at page 164, 25 L.Ed. 244."​

Thank you.

Dmain_Event

Star
Registered

And mr. Thomas is free to disagree with that ruling. Which is what he did. And I have no problem with it. Believe me, liberals disagree with former supreme court rulings all the time. There are some disagreements I agree with. Face it, the man doesn't agree with you, he is in a position of power to do something about it, you can't stop him, deal with it...

:cool::cool::cool:

Dmain_Event

Star
Registered
Now that's the truth and the first from you in a while.

I hate repeating myself... So I won't

That's just not true. Why are you so allergic to the truth? It would make this so much more productive.

Right, if only I would agree with you, you would be right so much more often.
[/SARCASM]
:lol::lol::lol:
I don't agree with your definition of the truth. I believe in Free Markets, Free Men, Free Money.

I Believe I should work for what I earn, if I work harder I should earn more, if I work less I should earn less. I should be punished for violating others rights and person.

I believe the constitution of the US supports these goals... I know the US wasn't always perfect (the whole world is F'ed up but you got to make the most of it)

You don't.

I believe you have the right to disagree no matter how wrong you are... I also believe you should pay the consequences for your beliefs and you actions based on those beliefs...

You can't be that immoral. Thomas has shown he is but you can't be, you have to be just talking.
I'm not worried about it. I'm trying to figure where your head is and if there is some logical, factual basis for your beliefs.

It's immoral to want someone to be punished for the crimes they have been convicted of? In my mind it is immoral to let someone go unpunished for there crimes. That only encourages the convicted to continue there actions, and it encourages others to copy.

I don't believe you should murder your fellow man, and get sent to prison and live better then me, with free gym and tv and room and board. So you do? I don't give a damn.

Your standards are extremely low. That said, I made no effort to change how you feel about Clarence Thomas. There's somebody for everybody.

My standards are low?:lol::lol::lol:

That depends on your baseline I suppose.
Thank you.[/QUOTE]

No prob
:cool::cool:
:dance::dance:

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
And mr. Thomas is free to disagree with that ruling. Which is what he did. And I have no problem with it. Believe me, liberals disagree with former supreme court rulings all the time. There are some disagreements I agree with. Face it, the man doesn't agree with you, he is in a position of power to do something about it, you can't stop him, deal with it...

:cool::cool::cool:

Stop moving the goal posts.

I believe my comments above were responsive to YOUR interpretive comments of the First Amendment, not something Thomas said. In this instance, its not that Thomas and I disagree, (though we would if he contends as you do -- that the First Amendment is inapplicable to the states), its what you said above, however, that is just plain, wrong.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered

And even when I followed along with his misdirection, he still didn't respond, so I'll quote myself and see if he answers.

Yet again, someone brings up ethnicity when it's not part of the conversation. What is the Black "conservative's" obsession with ethnicity and race? If this thread was started about Scalia, I would be in it. In fact, I think there was a Scalia thread and I was in it.
I'm singling out Thomas because this is a specific thread about Thomas.
What, and be specific, things illegal did Obama do with Ayers? What illegal activity was he accused of doing with Ayers? "Shady deals" are part of politics and are all about who's doing them at the time. When it's Republicans doing it, their shady to Democrats and vice versa.
Doesn't every political philosophy take their chances at the ballot box? Don't both sides look to the courts to bolster their side? What are you talking about?

I believe in second chances, Greed, so here you go.

<S>PUBLIC</S> BLACK COMMUNITY ENEMY NO. 1

thomas-575-62512-ahj.jpeg.jpg

Perfect example of why mentally scarred Black people in positions of power are dangerous to the rest of us.
Someone, I can't recall who (maybe Iyanla Vanzant, someone like that), jokingly, blamed Thomas' behavior and thinking on Black women rejecting him in his youth and now he's getting his revenge.
There might be something to that after all.

Greed

Star
Registered
Clarence Thomas: Society is overly sensitive about race

Clarence Thomas: Society is overly sensitive about race
By Chris Moody, Yahoo News | Yahoo News
15 hrs ago

Americans today are too sensitive about race, Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas told a gathering of college students in Florida on Tuesday.

Speaking at Palm Beach Atlantic University in West Palm Beach, Fla., Thomas, the second black justice to serve on the court, lamented what he considers a society that is more “conscious” of racial differences than it was when he grew up in segregated Georgia in the days before — and during — the civil rights era.

“My sadness is that we are probably today more race and difference-conscious than I was in the 1960s when I went to school. To my knowledge, I was the first black kid in Savannah, Georgia, to go to a white school. Rarely did the issue of race come up,” Thomas said during a chapel service hosted by the nondenominational Christian university. “Now, name a day it doesn’t come up. Differences in race, differences in sex, somebody doesn’t look at you right, somebody says something. Everybody is sensitive. If I had been as sensitive as that in the 1960s, I’d still be in Savannah. Every person in this room has endured a slight. Every person. Somebody has said something that has hurt their feelings or did something to them — left them out.

“That’s a part of the deal,” he added.

Thomas spent his childhood in a place and time in which businesses and government services were legally segregated. In his 2007 memoir, "My Grandfather's Son," he described his experience growing up as an African-American Catholic in Georgia during the Jim Crow era. “I was a two-fer for the Klan,” he said.

Thomas moved north from Georgia and graduated from Yale Law School in 1974. He went on to a successful judicial career that took him all the way to the Supreme Court. Thomas’ views on constitutional issues usually put him on the conservative side of the court, where he has penned opinions intended to rein in affirmative-action laws and overhaul a section of the Civil Rights Act that requires states with histories of discrimination to seek approval from the federal government before altering voting policies.

Throughout his career, Thomas said, he has experienced more instances of discrimination and poor treatment in the North than the South.

“The worst I have been treated was by northern liberal elites. The absolute worst I have ever been treated,” Thomas said. “The worst things that have been done to me, the worst things that have been said about me, by northern liberal elites, not by the people of Savannah, Georgia.”

As one of six Catholics on the court, Thomas also addressed the role his faith plays in his work as a justice.

“I quite frankly don’t know how you do these hard jobs without some faith. I don’t know. Other people can come to you and explain it to you. I have no idea," he said. "I don’t know how an oath becomes meaningful unless you have faith. Because at the end you say, ‘So help me God.’ And a promise to God is different from a promise to anyone else."

http://news.yahoo.com/clarence-thomas-on-race-194104252.html

muckraker10021

Superstar *****
BGOL Investor
908f3df8-6048-4171-a653-bfb1e9c06840.JPG

Clarence Thomas, the 'Anti-Black'

imt2z0.png

by Glen Ford

The most blatant and unashamed African American-hater on the U.S. Supreme Court - and probably on the national scene - is Clarence Thomas, a psychologically damaged ally of the worst sections of the white ruling class. Thomas is often described as a "complicated" personality, but that's just a euphemism for a crazy self-loathing that he projects on the rest of Black America. Dirt-poor Pin Point, Georgia, the peers of his youth who called him "America's Blackest Child," and an overbearing grandfather who wanted more than young Clarence was willing to give, made Thomas useful to no one but Black people's most implacable foes, for whom he has become a deranged pit bull. Viewers of 60 Minutes were permitted to learn none of that, as CBS circled its protective wagons around the Most Despised Black Man in Black America.

Clarence Thomas is a deeply troubled man - a grotesquely twisted, "Down Home"-grown Black personality at war with the demons of his dark-skinned, dirt poor youth. Although Thomas has accumulated many "enemies" - earned and imagined - since his entrance to the white world in the 10th grade in Savannah, Georgia, his core pathology is Black-directed - a trait so obvious it was immediately perceived by a succession of white Republican racists who rocketed him to the U.S. Supreme Court with obscene haste to become a hit-man against his own people.

Thomas is a perverse right-wing joke played on Blacks and, being of above average intelligence despite his mental illness, he knows it. But it is a knowledge he cannot endure, a burden that has made him a pathological liar, who blurts out contradictions so antithetical to each other that they cannot possibly coexist in the same brain without a constant roiling and crashing that puts him at flight from himself and all those who remind him of his now hopelessly entangled torments and tormentors.

If African Americans had our own insane asylum, Thomas would be welcomed in and cared for, with proper compassion for the sorely afflicted. But there are no such facilities available to treat a man who forgives whites for Jim Crow and every other aspect of past and present discrimination - indeed, embraces the most racist among them - but can never forgive Blacks for the way they treated him in Savannah, Georgia and the outlying shanty town of Pin Point.

Thomas, the affirmative action kid, should have gone to Yale, where he proved to be as adept at navigating the curriculum as at least half the rest of the class. He should not have ascended anywhere near the U.S. Supreme Court, or to any government agency that affects the fate of the people he despises, and has since childhood felt despised by: African Americans, the only group that could make his young psyche scream by calling him "ABC" - "America's Blackest Child."

Thomas titled his first and only book My Grandfather's Son, in honor of grandfather Myers Anderson, who physically rescued him from the abject poverty of Pin Point at age seven, at his destitute mother's request, but never let young Clarence forget that he was born in the mud of deepest, lowest class, Gullah-speaking (Geetchie) Blackdom. "Whenever he'd get angry at Clarence," a childhood friend of Thomas told Washington Post reporter Juan Williams, in 1987, "he'd say, 'Oh, you from Pin Point.' " Grandfather Anderson, a self-made, semi-literate businessman, alternately wielded "Pin Point" as the most cutting insult to the boy's value as a human being, and as the low-life nightmare to which Clarence must return if he did not show himself worthy of elevation above the mud.

Grandfather Anderson was a committed member of the NAACP, a regular contributor of money to the cause. He coerced Clarence to read his good grades aloud in front of NAACP meetings, an experience the shy child found painfully intrusive. When Clarence gained entrance to an almost lily-white Catholic seminary, with vague ideas about becoming a priest, old man Anderson warned, "don't you shame me and don't you shame your race.'"

Too much pressure for the emotionally fragile kid, who had been ceaselessly reminded that his Pin Point background was a shame on its face, and that he must begin his climb up from a deep hole to rise to the standards of the upscale-dominated Savannah NAACP - a tall order for "America's Blackest Child." <SPAN STYLE="background-color:YELLOW"><b> In a 2002 interview with Washington Post reporters Kevin Merida and Michael A. Fletcher, Thomas said he "can't think of any" good the NAACP ever did.</b></span> Civil rights leaders, in general, just "bitch, bitch, bitch, moan and moan, whine and whine."

The overbearing, unrelenting Granddaddy Anderson pinned his hopes on Clarence graduating from the Catholic seminary and using his credentials and education to assist other Blacks. However, Clarence quit in 1968, and Anderson put him out of the house. Thomas' lying memory begins to dominate the narrative at this point in his 19-year-old life, with estrangement from his Black anchor and hate-love object, Granddaddy Anderson. The old man and the NAACP expected great things from young Clarence, based on their standards, schedule and mission. Thomas claims he quit the seminary when, on news of the shooting of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., he overheard a white student say "Well, that's good. I hope the SOB dies" - evidence that the Catholic Church had failed him.

Note that Thomas does not punch the white kid out, for which he might have been expelled. He just quit, and in so doing quit his grandfather and the NAACP, as well.. Although the alleged remark is totally plausible, given the blatant, unabashed racism that prevailed in Sixties white Georgia campuses, parochial and public, it is equally implausible that Thomas had not heard, and been personally subjected to, many verbal racial assaults during his time at the seminary - and never reacted. It is much more likely that Thomas, having already charted his exit from Black Savannah and a path to the Ivy league, later invented or used the incident to cast himself as a "radical" - the pose he (possibly after-the-fact) adopted during his scholarship-assisted and affirmative action-arranged stay at Yale, his next stop.

Thomas was sick and tired of Savannah Black society and the loathsome burden of his Pin Point origins, and the skin-curse of being "ABC." He would exit the former and use the latter as a swinging broadsword to flail his Black "tormentors" and garner the assistance of racist whites in search of an African American who harbored animosities against Blacks as intense as their own. In his September 30, 2007, interview with 60 Minutes, Thomas seemed still to be repelled by the Black catechism and recitals he had been subjected to by old man Anderson and the NAACP, back in Savannah so many years ago. The problem is, all these decades later, Thomas disengages Granddaddy Anderson from the local NAACP he fervently supported, and to which he offered his grandson as a prize catch and future leader. Thomas told milk-toast interviewer Steve Kroft:

"You've been down here long enough [the interview took seven days to complete] to see who raised me and what my grandfather - what approach would he take?" Thomas says, laughing. "It'd be get out there and work. The problem for me isn't that everybody agrees with him or me. But, that they think they have the exclusive providence of how to approach it. That I am to be destroyed because I won't drink that Kool-Aid or because I don't follow in this cult-like way something that blacks are supposed to believe. I have an opinion. It seems as though the problem with me and other people with our opinions is that we are veering away from the black gospel that we're supposed to adhere to."

Clarence abandoned the high-pressure, struggle-for-your-folks Gospel of the Savannah NAACP and his grandfather - the people pushing the Kool-Aid - for Yale, where he donned a beret and now claims to have been a militant. As reported by Kevin Merida and Michael A. Fletcher in 2002, Thomas' memory is...faulty:

"That's garbage, all this radical crap," says Edward P. Jones, a writer who went to college with Thomas. "If something came along and it didn't interfere with whatever he was doing that day, he would do it . . . My recollection is he wasn't the rah-rah out-front guy others are portraying him to be."

However, Thomas may have imagined himself to be something his brow-beaten upbringing and disturbed mind did not prepare him to even recognize. After all, he had a beret, and a bad attitude. But who was he really mad at?

Time would tell, and not that much time, either. Thomas got through Yale Law School at the middle of his class, then claims he put a 15-cents sticker on the diploma and shunted it off to the basement in passive protest of the document being devalued and "tainted" by affirmative action. If Thomas' diploma story is true, then by graduation he had already, in 1974, become a right-wing opponent of the affirmative action that had benefited him right up to the point that he shook the Law School dean's hand and accepted the diploma. Thomas certainly had felt himself devalued for most of his conscious existence - and was repeatedly confirmed in that devaluation by his Black peers and elders in Savannah until his self-image broke from the strain, if he ever had a well-developed self-image. But one wonders at what point he made the switch from flirting with the Black Panthers (or, in his case, beret-ism) to a doctrinaire reactionary position that had not, at the time, been widely articulated in the popular press. One strongly suspects that Thomas' current narrative of the period is a revision - and also that Thomas believes every word of the story.

<SPAN STYLE="background-color:YELLOW"><b>After all, Thomas claims to have assiduously avoided studying any civil rights cases at law school, and later urged students to do the same. With the ordeal of being a "testimony" child of the NAACP and his grandfather still fresh in his resentful mind, Thomas wanted nothing to do with "civil rights" of any kind - a permanent bent that rendered him singularly unqualified for the life-path that would begin right after graduation, when the enemies of civil rights took him under their wings, and crafted him into a weapon against every vestige of the Black Freedom Movement.</b></span>

Do not believe anything Clarence Thomas says, since his statements are almost uniformly lies of commission or omission. It is doubtful that he knows which. He claims not to have been able to "get a job" after graduation from Yale, when in fact he soon got a dream position for any young Black man looking for a fast track into the heart of rising Republican rightwing politics. The Black GOP list wasn't just short, it was almost non-existent. Missouri Attorney General John "Jack" Danforth snatched up the boy from Pin Point in a New York minute, doubtless after getting an earful from the Yale graduate about the demeaning nature of Ivy League affirmative action. The $10,000 a year salary sounds paltry in current dollars, but in 1974 it was quite enough for a single recent grad. More to the point, Thomas was an Assistant Attorney General, a title for which many graduates would intern without salary. Most importantly, Thomas had found a mentor and protector in Danforth, who would stick by (or use) him through to the 1991 Senate confirmation process. "ABC" had found his niche. He would not return to Pin Point to dedicate his law skills to the folks, as his grandfather so dearly wished. The beret was gone, too.

Clarence promptly picked up his first book on Black "conservatism" (or, he may have read it in preparation for the Danforth interview - the record is nonexistent). Thomas Sowell's intellectually primitive Race and Economics was, according to Thomas, his introduction to the tiny grouplet of rightwing Black fellow-travelers hoping to get in on the ground floor whenever a national change of regime might occur. With Danforth as his guide, Thomas was on the launching pad. The Missouri attorney general became a U.S. senator in 1979, with Clarence in tow all the way to Washington.

However, like most deeply damaged personalities, Thomas could not face the raw realities of his situation; he preferred to make up an alternative persona that was the opposite of what he had become. Juan Williams, the then-young Washington Post reporter who would himself descend into rightist politics in his later years, followed Thomas to a conference of Black conservatives in San Francisco, in early 1981, shortly after Ronald Reagan assumed the presidency:

"His frankness in reflecting on his own position as a black conservative is, in retrospect, touched by irony. ‘If I ever went to work for the EEOC or did anything directly connected with blacks, my career would be irreparably ruined. The monkey would be on my back to prove that I didn't have the job because I'm black. People meeting me for the first time would automatically dismiss my thinking as second-rate.'"

"Monkey" is an interesting choice of words. But then, as Juan Williams reported:

"...in May of 1981, despite his misgivings, he joined the Administration as the Department of Education's assistant secretary for civil rights.

And then:

"Eight months after he began his job at the Department of Education, the President nominated him to head the EEOC."

And then, in 1990, President George H. W. Bush appointed Thomas to the U.S. appellate court for the District of Columbia, where he remained for barely a year before Bush nominated him to the U.S. Supreme Court, in 1991.

<SPAN STYLE="background-color:YELLOW"><b>In 12 short years, the man who said "civil rights" appointments were "career suicide" had been catapulted from an aide to Sen. Danforth to lifetime Associate Supreme Court Justice, without ever having tried a case as a lawyer or worked at a law firm.</b></span>

Did Thomas ever believe anything he said about the perils of being tagged as among the "Black" and "civil rights" categories of job seekers? The question would be appropriate if we were speaking of a sane person, but we are not. Thomas is capable of holding several, antithetical realities in his head, and talking out of all sides of his mouth on every one of them - and believing every word. Although most African Americans are quick to point to his affirmative action-enabled Yale education as proof of his hypocrisy on the subject, Thomas flips the script and treats the invaluable experience as if it were worthless, despite the fact that the Ivy League diploma introduced him to his Republican mentor and champion, John Danforth. As late as September 30, Thomas was still complaining to the compliant and purposely incompetent 60 Minutes correspondent Steve Kroft about his "tainted" diploma, worth only 15 cents.

<SPAN STYLE="background-color:YELLOW"><b>The truly obscene "affirmative action" from which Thomas has benefited is Republican-made - a cascade of rewards for being the "Anti-Black" who can be counted on to bludgeon and bad-mouth his own people at every opportunity, while his benefactors snicker at the joke. </b></span>

That's why Thomas so richly deserved Emerge magazine's 1994 depiction of him as a lawn jockey, a cartoonish figure placed on lawns by whites to remind everyone of Black subservience.

Thomas has written over 300 High Court opinions, about par for the course. He has been a minority-of-one more often than any other Justice, simply because, despite being surrounded by clerks educated in the chapter-and-verse of precedent and statute, Thomas repeatedly casts the fundamentals of judgeship aside to vent his venom, hostility, pent-up pain, and desire for vengeance - against his fellow African Americans.

Thomas imagines himself a man of the people. "Man, quotas are for the black middle class. But look at what's happening to the masses. Those are my people. They are just where they were before any of these policies," Thomas told a reporter. But Clarence from Pin Point certainly isn't where he used to be. And the almost exclusively poor and disproportionately Black prison population would be in even worse shape if Thomas' 1992 dissent in a "cruel and unusual treatment" case had been joined by the majority of the High Court. Angola, Louisiana, prisoner Keith Hudson was left "with loosened teeth, facial bruises and a cracked dental plate" after being shackled and taken to a secluded place to be beaten by guards. "In my view," wrote Clarence The Man of the People, "a use of force that causes only insignificant harm to a prisoner may be immoral, it may be tortious, it may be criminal...but it is not 'cruel and unusual punishment.' "

One wonders how much harm would satiate Thomas' lust for revenge against those Blacks who make his life difficult by breathing. Other Justices, including his fellow "conservatives," could not conceal their astonishment at the baldness and legal vacuity of Thomas' opinion. And there were many more such opinions, too many for this essay, which is about the sick mind of the man and how it has been employed by Black folks' enemies as both a pit bull and a pet.

Thomas, the ultimate fast-tracked Black, voted against so-called "quotas" in awarding federal highway contracts, citing "paternalism" as a mortal sin. "There can be no doubt that racial paternalism and its unintended consequences can be as poisonous and pernicious as any other form of discrimination."

Then you, Clarence, should be dead, many times over, fatally poisoned. But, Thomas may have a point. Grandpa Anderson's grooming of young Clarence as a champion of the race did, indeed, have "unintended consequences."

Again, this essay is about the American pathology that creates a freak like Clarence Thomas, from which tragedy a host of judicial abominations has flowed. He is only 59. The stream of bile may continue another 30 or more years, if he does not blow a brain vein from sheer maliciousness.

Thomas is most fond of talking about the concept of racial "assimilation" - he's against it, which is quite strange for an "ABC" from Pin Point who has succeeded in thoroughly insinuating himself into the rich, white circles of power that arranged for him to secure possibly the most coveted job in the land.

To win racist white favor and praise, Thomas has signaled that he does not recognize the logic of the 1954 Brown school desegregation decision. "'Racial isolation' itself is not a harm; only state-enforced segregation is. After all, if separation itself is a harm, and if integration therefore is the only way that blacks can receive a proper education, then there must be something inferior about blacks."

If there were ever an example of how 13 years of racial isolation can damage a dirt-poor young Black boy from Pin Point, Georgia, Clarence Thomas is it. He was beaten down before he had his first meaningful conversation with a white person - before he could establish an identity that could carry him forward as a proud Black man in a white-dominated world - and soon would begin a career as an attack dog for the worst elements of the ruling class.

Most often, like most crazy people, Clarence's utterances have no connection to his own circumstances. He doesn't know where he is, or what he has done. "There is nothing you can do to get past black skin," Thomas told reporter Juan Williams, back in 1987. "I don't care how educated you are, how good you are at what you do - you'll never have the same contacts or opportunities, you'll never be seen as equal to whites."

Unless, of course, you serve the interests of those whites you believe are in charge of your destiny. But that's too rational a thought to put in Thomas' head; he just glides along on pure hatred of himself and his own. Thomas has been enabled in his crazed leap to the pinnacles of power by forces that are arrayed against the masses of all people, but especially African Americans. Clearly, this includes CBS Television, as evidenced by the recent 60 Minutes charade.

Journalistic eunuch Steve Kroft absolved Thomas of all the lies and insanities he has spouted over the years, and his clear unfitness for the job - almost any job - at the start of the broadcast:

"He is often dismissed as a man of little accomplishment, an opportunistic black conservative who sold out his race, joined the Republican Party and was ultimately rewarded with an affirmative action appointment to the nation's highest court, a sullen, intellectual lightweight so insecure he rarely opens his mouth in oral arguments. The problem with the characterization is that it's unfair and untrue."

Untrue and unfair, says he. Yet Kroft never delved into any of those important questions, preferring to focus on the 1991 Anita Hill confirmation hearings charges. Thomas slickly slimed Hill, and 60 Minutes did not permit the other side to speak. Even the most casual news programming observer must conclude that either Thomas' publishers (or His Judgeship, himself) imposed a prohibition on substantive questioning, or that CBS liked what they heard, and left it at that. We at Black Agenda Report have received confidential information that the latter is the case; that the white powers-that-be at 60 Minutes and corporate management felt poor Clarence, who is undeniably the most hated Black Man in Black America, should get to have his say, unmolested by the truth. There goes the journalistic neighborhood, bulldozed by white comfort-zone preference.

Karen J. Bond, of the National Black Coalition for Media Justice, (karenbond@nbcmj.org) offered a detailed questionnaire to the producers of the 60 Minutes farce, including:

"Do you feel an interview excluding...critical pieces of information about the content of Justice Thomas' book would leave the viewer with an accurate perspective? Why was there little or no attention given to the opinions of these critics who come from the ranks of his peers, his former classmates, highly esteemed literary figures or the poor and working class citizens that he claims he represents? With so much contradictory evidence available, why was there no substantial challenge made as to the veracity of the claims Thomas presents in his book?"

No remotely satisfactory answer was forthcoming. We must conclude that Clarence Thomas is crazy like a fox, having somehow sensed through the fog of near-lifelong mental illness that powerful "white folks" will take care of him as long as he exhibits a visceral contempt for other Blacks. The crybaby - demented and consumed by a huge reservoir of perceived assaults that make him appear like a Black, stocky, middle-aged version of the pitiful-but-pathological character Gollum, in J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings - is incapable of a coherent narrative of his own experiences or political views. He gets away with it because significant numbers of whites want to hear a "dissident" Black voice railing against the rest of Black America - no matter how crazed that voice might be.

60 Minutes dubbed its book promotion masquerading as journalism, "Clarence Thomas: The Justice Nobody Knows." They then proceeded to make sure nobody would really know him, if they didn't already.

Possibly the most pathologically illuminating portion of the network PR job came at the end of the interview. Thomas, asked where he feels he is in life, responds: "I'm Home."

Home is what Clarence has been running from all along - although he can't escape the formative environment in which he sickened so early in life. He's really in Purgatory, and trying to put the rest of us in Hell.

http://www.blackagendareport.com/content/clarence-thomas-anti-black

<hr noshade color="#ff0000" size="8"></hr>

Last edited:

Ruff Ryder

Robotix
Registered
Three questions for Clarence Thomas

By John Blake, CNN

130607141647-thomas-mar-08-story-top.jpg

(CNN) -- He wore a black beret and Army fatigues, warned people that a revolution was coming and memorized the speeches of Malcolm X.

"I now believed that the whole of American culture was irretrievably tainted by racism," he once said, describing his reaction to the assassination of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.
On Tuesday, that same man helped dismantle a key provision of the Voting Rights Act, one of the pillars of the civil rights movement. If he had his way, he would bury another pillar: affirmative action.

There may seem to be a contradiction between the Clarence Thomas who was the angry campus radical in the 1960s and the conservative hero who sits on the U.S. Supreme Court today. But some legal observers say Thomas sees himself as a "prophetic civil rights leader" who is still fighting for the same cause -- a colorblind America.

Thomas is an American hero, says Henry Mark Holzer, author of "The Supreme Court Opinions of Clarence Thomas."
"A lot of people who are what I call professional Negros have ridden white guilt and socialism to very lucrative lives," says Holzer, who uses the term "Negro" because he says he doesn't classify people by skin color.

"Thomas didn't," Holzer says. "He made a very deliberate and gutsy decision to go where his intellect and his study took him, and that's heroic."

One man's hero, though, is another man's sellout. During his nearly 22 years on the nation's highest court, Thomas has been called a self-loathing "Uncle Thomas." His impact, though, cannot be ignored. His judicial opinions have transformed America. And no other contemporary Supreme Court justice has spoken with such raw emotion about race or has embodied the subject's complexities.

Yet he is still a mystery to many. There are questions about Thomas that have persisted even after two decades on the Supreme Court as its lone African-American justice.

Here are three of them:

Question 1: Why does Thomas condemn affirmative action if he benefited from it?

On Monday, the Supreme Court sidestepped a sweeping decision on the use of race in college admissions, throwing a Texas case back to the lower courts for further review. The high court had been asked to decide if the University of Texas violated the constitutional rights of some white applicants by considering race in the admissions process.
Thomas, in issuing a concurring opinion with the 7-1 majority, left no doubt as to how he would have ruled had the court not found that lower federal courts failed to apply the appropriate standards in the Texas case.
"Just as the alleged educational benefits of segregation were insufficient to justify racial discrimination then," Thomas wrote, "the alleged educational benefits of diversity cannot justify racial discrimination today."
"The university's professed good intentions cannot excuse its outright racial discrimination any more than such intentions justified the now denounced arguments of slaveholders and segregationists."
Thomas has consistently voted against affirmative action policies because he says they're divisive, unconstitutional and harmful to their recipients. He cites his own experience as an example.
Thomas was born in poverty in rural Georgia but managed to gain admittance to Yale Law School. He acknowledges that he made it to Yale because of affirmative action but says the stigma of preferential treatment made it difficult for him to find a job after college.

In his memoir, "My Grandfather's Son," Thomas says he felt "tricked" by paternalistic whites at Yale who recruited black students.

"I was bitter toward the white bigots whom I held responsible for the unjust treatment of blacks," he wrote, "but even more bitter toward those ostensibly unprejudiced whites who pretended to side with black people while using them to further their own political and social ends."

Some observers, though, counter with one question:

If affirmative action is so bad for its recipients, how come you've done so well?

"His entire judicial philosophy is at war with his own biography," said Michael Fletcher, co-author of "Supreme Discomfort: The Divided Soul of Clarence Thomas." "He's arguably benefited from affirmative action every step of the way."

For many blacks, affirmative action is "the contemporary equivalent of the Emancipation Proclamation," Fletcher explains in his book. It's one of the most important legacies of the civil rights movement. The expansion of the black middle class was driven by affirmative action policies, he says.

Some blacks detest Thomas not because he's conservative, Fletcher says, but because he rules against affirmative action policies, closing the door that was opened for him.

The black community has accepted conservatives as varied as Booker T. Washington, Colin Powell and Condoleezza Rice. Many members of the community dislike Thomas for another reason.

"Some say he's a traitor and hypocritical," says Fletcher, an economics correspondent with The Washington Post.

Thomas first attracted public attention in the early 1980s when President Ronald Reagan asked him to lead the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, which enforces federal discrimination laws. Thomas' opposition to affirmative action and criticisms of civil rights leaders during his tenure made headlines.
In 1990, President George H.W. Bush appointed Thomas to the powerful U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit, a traditional steppingstone to the Supreme Court.

Would Thomas have risen so far so quickly had he not been black?

CNN legal analyst Jeffrey Toobin doesn't think so. In a biting 2007 New Yorker magazine review of Thomas' memoir, Toobin wrote that Thomas had never tried a case or argued an appeal in any federal court and had never produced any scholarly work when he made the D.C. appeals court.

"Yale and Reagan treated him the same way, but he hates one and reveres the other," Toobin wrote. "Thomas never acknowledges, much less explains, the contradiction."

When Bush selected Thomas in 1991 to replace Thurgood Marshall, the court's first black justice, the questions about Thomas' qualifications intensified. Bush said he picked "the best qualified" nominee, but Thomas questioned that in his memoir, saying even he had doubts about Bush's "extravagant" claim.

"There was no way I could really know what the president and his aides had been thinking when they picked me," he wrote.

Thomas' defenders say his performance on the high court has removed any doubts about his qualifications. They call him the most consistent conservative on the court, a man who won't sacrifice his principles to eke out a short-term judicial victory.

Holzer, author of "The Supreme Court Opinions of Clarence Thomas," says he doesn't think Thomas "benefited from affirmative action at all."

Thomas' legal acumen is well-known, says Holzer, a retired law professor from Brooklyn Law School. Thomas is the court's leading "originalist" -- he says he interprets the Constitution based on what the framers meant, not on any partisan policy preferences.

"This may be hard for Toobin to swallow -- Clarence Thomas would have been appointed were he white, yellow, brown, beige, even blue or green."

Scott Douglas Gerber, an Ohio Northern University law professor and author of "First Principles: The Jurisprudence of Clarence Thomas," says Thomas is on the verge of cementing his judicial legacy with the civil rights cases before the court.

Thomas' constitutional philosophy is simple, Gerber says: All Americans should be treated as individuals and not as members of a racial or ethnic group.

Gerber says Thomas has ruled against the Voting Rights Act in the past because he believes that laws based on the "proportional allocation of political powers according to race" should be overturned.

The Voting Rights Act is considered one of the crown jewels of the civil rights movement. Its passage, which came about after King led a dramatic campaign in Selma, Alabama, is responsible for the expansion of black political power in the last 30 years.

On Tuesday, the Supreme Court's conservative majority issued a ruling that essentially strikes at the heart of the Voting Rights Act. The court voted 5-4 to limit the use of a key provision in the landmark law, in effect invalidating federal enforcement over all or parts of 15 states with a past history of voter discrimination.

Thomas isn't the only Supreme Court justice whose life has been shaped by affirmative action. One of his colleagues is grateful for the role it played in her life.

Sonia Sotomayor told "60 Minutes" that affirmative action helped her gain admittance to Princeton University. (She also graduated from Yale Law School.) She is the first Hispanic justice on the Supreme Court.

"It was a door-opener that changed the course of my life," Sotomayor said in the January interview.

Question 2: How does Thomas embrace an "originalist" view of the Constitution when the framers would have considered him a slave?

A lot of originalist judges rhapsodize about the wisdom of the Constitution's framers, but Thomas approaches the Constitution with a different racial history. Blacks were enslaved by many of the founding fathers who talked about liberty and freedom.

How does a black judge become an originalist when the "original intent" of the Constitution was to preserve slavery and classify slaves as three-fifths of a human being?

Thomas addressed that question in part in one of his most cited opinions, a 2007 school integration case, Parents Involved in Community Schools v. Seattle School District No. 1.

Thomas joined a conservative majority that ruled 5-4 that race cannot be a factor in assigning children to public schools. In a concurring opinion, Thomas cited one of the Supreme Court's greatest judges, John Marshall Harlan, known as the "great dissenter."

Harlan issued a thunderous dissent in the notorious 1896 Plessy v. Ferguson case, which sanctioned the separate but equal doctrine that provided the legal foundation for the brutal Jim Crow era. Plessy is considered one of the high court's lowest moments.

Thomas invoked another landmark Supreme Court decision, the 1954 Brown v. Board of Education ruling, which declared segregated schools and the separate-but-equal doctrine of Plessy unconstitutional.

Thomas wrote in the Seattle decision:

"My view of the Constitution is Justice Harlan's view in Plessy: 'Our Constitution is colorblind, and neither knows nor tolerates classes among citizens.' And my view was the rallying cry for the lawyers who litigated Brown."

Thomas embraces an originalism that is rooted in the principles of the founders rather than their practices, wrote Hannah L. Weiner, author of an article in the Duke Law Journal on Thomas titled "The Next Great Dissenter."

Weiner said Thomas believes that history will hail him as a "prophetic leader of civil rights" who honored the civil rights movement by fighting for its ultimate goal: a colorblind America.

"He says the same framers who saw him as three-fifths of a man wrote the Declaration of Independence that allowed us to dream of having a President Obama in the White House," says the Post's Fletcher.

Marcia Coyle, author of the "The Roberts Court," a look at the contemporary court's battle over the Constitution, says Thomas believes that Reconstruction -- a brief period after the Civil War when the federal government strove to make full citizens of freed slaves -- purified the Constitution.

"He believes the Reconstruction amendments purged the Constitution of the taint of slavery and rendered the Constitution colorblind," says Coyle, who provides Supreme Court analysis for the "PBS NewsHour."

The Reconstruction amendments are the 13th, 14th and 15th amendments. They abolish slavery, empower newly freed slaves and protect their right to vote.

For anyone who follows matters of race in America, the 14th Amendment is vital. The amendment, with its emphasis on equality, has become the epicenter of a fierce legal battle over what the Constitution says about race.

Thomas and other conservative judges believe the 14th Amendment bans any preferential treatment of minorities because the Constitution is colorblind. It doesn't matter if a person is white, black or green, they say, dividing people up by race is unconstitutional. They cite Harlan's "colorblind" dissent in Plessy in which he invoked the 14th Amendment.

Others say judges such as Thomas are engaging in clever semantics, commandeering language that was originally used to help racial minorities to argue for policies that now exclude them.

Doug Kendall, founder and president of the Constitutional Accountability Center in Washington, says Thomas is a "faux" originalist who ignores the "original intent" of the 14th Amendment framers who were trying to create laws to address the legacy of slavery.

"They were the first proponents of affirmative action," Kendall says of the Reconstruction amendment lawmakers. "They passed a whole series of laws that were designed to help the freed slaves realize the promise of being a full and equal citizen in the U.S."

But Gerber, the Ohio Northern University law professor, says Thomas bases his originalist vision in the Declaration of Independence.

"He knows that most of the framers were racists," says Gerber. "He rejects those personal practices but as (Abraham) Lincoln pointed out, the framers committed the nation to the idea of equality that is articulated in the Declaration."

Question 3: Why doesn't Thomas follow his own advice about not playing the victim?

When he worked for the Reagan administration, Thomas once told a reporter that all civil rights leaders did was "bitch, bitch, bitch, moan and moan, whine and whine."

Thomas has long preached that blacks should be self-reliant and stop complaining about racism. He traces that philosophy to his childhood in Georgia, where he was raised by a stern grandfather who told him he had to "play the hand" fate dealt him.

"I'd long believed that the best thing to do was to stop government-sanctioned segregation, then concentrate on education and equal employment opportunities," he wrote in his memoir. "The rest I thought would take care of itself."

Yet critics say Thomas doesn't follow his own advice. They say he regularly portrays himself as a victim even though he sits on the nation's highest court.

Fletcher called him "the most successful victim in America."

He says Thomas holds grudges against old college classmates, black critics and "elites." He often equates his plight to that of slaves when he compares critics to "overseers" and talks about blacks who expect him to be an "intellectual slave."

"He has a lot of slights that he catalogs carefully throughout his life," Fletcher says.

Slights against the U.S. Supreme Court also affect Thomas. While speaking to a bar association in Georgia in 2011, Thomas said critics of the Supreme Court's decisions were illiterate or lazy.

"You don't just keep nagging and nagging and nagging," he told the Augusta Bar Association. "Sometimes, too much is too much."

Thomas recently used an occasion of great joy for the black community -- the election of the nation's first black president -- to complain about persecution. When he was asked if he was surprised that a black man became president, he criticized the "elites" and "the media."

"The thing that I always knew is that it would have to be a black president who was approved by the elites and the media, because anybody they didn't agree with, they would take apart," Thomas said during a C-SPAN interview at a Pittsburgh law school in April.

Thomas' behavior at his confirmation hearing in 1991 soured some critics as well. When he was accused of sexual harassment, Thomas publicly told a Senate panel that he was the victim of a "high-tech lynching" reserved for uppity blacks.

Thomas flashed the race card to get on the Supreme Court, says George Curry, a commentator, media coach and speaker who once placed Thomas on the cover of a now-defunct black political magazine called Emerge with the title, "Uncle Thomas."

"He used race when it was convenient to him," Curry says. "That was designed to put an all-white panel on the defensive."

Thomas, though, says it's not persecution if it's real.

In his memoir, he wrote about his confirmation hearing:

"As a child in the Deep South, I'd grown up fearing the lynch mobs of the Ku Klux Klan; as an adult, I was starting to wonder if I'd been afraid of the wrong white people all along. My worst fears had come to pass not in Georgia but in Washington, D.C., where I was being pursued not by bigots in white robes but by left-wing zealots draped in flowing sanctimony."

Horace Cooper, an attorney and commentator, says Thomas was only telling the truth when he invoked a "high-tech lynching."

He says many people haven't accepted that Thomas isn't the liberal crusader they think the successor to Marshall, the court's first black justice, should be.

"The law isn't about helping oppressed and downtrodden people get justice in a system tilted against them," says Cooper, whose columns appear on Townhall.com, a conservative online magazine. "Justice Thomas has been reminding people that it is not the role of the court to undo unfairness but to literally use the rules: Call a strike a strike and a foul a foul."

Thomas' pugnacious public image doesn't jibe with his personality, others say. He is the warmest and most accessible Supreme Court justice, they say, a man with a booming laugh who mentors young people.

In a 1998 address to a group of predominantly African-American lawyers, Thomas showed a more vulnerable side.

"It pains me deeply -- more deeply than any of you can imagine -- to be perceived by so many members of my race as doing them harm," he told the National Bar Association, the nation's largest group of lawyers, during a meeting in Memphis, Tennessee.

"All the sacrifice, all the long hours of preparation were to help, not to hurt," he said. "I have come here today not in anger or to anger."

Thomas' speech was greeted with scattered boos and little applause, news reports say.

Thomas' latest decisions may receive the same hostile reaction from his own community. But that won't stop Thomas from issuing his fiery opinions on race, in court and out of it, some say.

"It seems as if he's accepted the fact that he's out there alone and he's writing for the future, not today," says Coyle, author of "The Roberts Court."

The goals of that future aren't that much different from those of the past, Thomas suggests in his memoir. At the end of his book, Thomas wrote that he was visited by Marshall, now considered a civil rights icon, in 1991 shortly after Thomas was confirmed to the court.

Thomas tells him he would have marched with civil rights demonstrators if he had the courage.

"I did in my time what I had to," Thomas says Marshall told him. "You have to do in your time what you have to do."

Whether people agree with Thomas or not, one thing is apparent from the direction of this Supreme Court: Thomas is not so alone anymore.

This is his time.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/09/us/clarence-thomas-three-questions

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
Re: Clarence Thomas: Society is overly sensitive about race

I agree. White people and conservatives need to stop it.

:yes::lol:

What's most amazing about his new statement is how grossly ignorant it is.
When were Americans in general, and Black folks in particular, not "overly" sensitive about race? Has he really forgotten what it was like during his youth? We were sensitive then but weren't allowed to speak out about it publicly and when we did, there were relatively few forums for that speech.

I will not mourn the passing of Mr Thomas.

Greed

Star
Registered
Do we have any threads about gangbangers, who shoot other black people in the face, being sellouts and detriment to black peopłe? Just wondering if there was anything balancing out the multiple Clarence Thomas post.

I guess acting in the political minority of black people is the worse thing you can do.

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Do we have any threads about gangbangers, who shoot other black people in the face, being sellouts and detriment to black peopłe? Just wondering if there was anything balancing out the multiple Clarence Thomas post.

I guess acting in the political minority of black people is the worse thing you can do.

Do we have a system were whites get off for murdering Black people?

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This graphic is misleading.

Dunn was found guilty on 4 of 5 charges, he will be retried on the question on the murder charge.

1st vs 2nd degree murder.

What's misleading about it? It's been suggested that the DA
over charged Dunn so to allow a retrial.

Greed

Star
Registered
Yea right. For you to tell this lie, you as you already realize are the sellout.

What's the lie? You vote for this system, an he makes rulings to keep it in place. You're both cheerleaders of a broken system. But he's the sellout because he sides with a different group of whites than the group you side with.

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
What's the lie? You vote for this system, an he makes rulings to keep it in place. You're both cheerleaders of a broken system. But he's the sellout because he sides with a different group of whites than the group you side with.

You vote for this system,

This is your justification for not voting?

But he's the sellout because he sides with a different group of whites than the group you side with.

No, he's a sellout because of this!

Alone, he voted to strike down a key part of the Voting Rights Act that is credited with giving blacks political power in the South.

Whenever the court has rebuked prosecutors for removing blacks from a jury, Thomas has dissented. And when a 7-2 decision sided with a black manager at a Cracker Barrel who was fired after complaining about the mistreatment of another black employee, Thomas dissented. "Retaliation is not racial discrimination," he wrote.