Are there ANY Baseball fans here? MLB camps open today!!!

Rezn8

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
2011 NATIONAL LEAGUE EAST PREDICTIONS

ATLANTA BRAVES

Projected Rotation

Tim Hudson (RH)
Derek Lowe (RH)
Jair Jurrjens (RHP)
Tommy Hanson (RH)
Mike Minor (LH)

Grade: B ------------ Hudson and Derek Lowe had solid seasons last year, but they are not getting any younger. Jurrjens has talent, but is coming off knee surgery. This staff could go either way, but I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Projected Bullpen

Jonny Venters (Closer)
Peter Moylan
Eric O’Flaherty
Craig Kimbrel
George Sherrill
Scott Linebrink
Scott Proctor

Grade: C+ ------------ There’s young talent in Venters and Kimbrel, but any bullpen where Scott Linebrink is expected to carry a heavy load will see many dark days.

Projected Lineup

Leadoff - Martin Prado (LF)
2. Nate McLouth (CF)
3. Chipper Jones (3B)
4. Bryan McCann (C)
5. Jason Heyward (RF)
6. Dan Uggla (2B)
7. Alex Gonzalez (SS)
8. Freddie Freeman (1B)

Grade: B+ ------------ A good lineup got even better with the addition of Dan Uggla. Jason Heyward should be even better with an entire year under his belt. Yet, the Braves are counting on an injured old warhorse to be an integral part of the lineup. If Chipper can stay healthy (a BIG if) this lineup can do some real damage.

Manager - Fredi Gonzalez

Grade: B -------------- Fredi Gonzalez has shown signs of being an outstanding manager, but he’s never had to replace an all-time great. Based on his past performance, I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt.

There are question marks in the starting rotation and particulrly in the bullpen. But, if they stay relatively healthy and Jason Heyward continues his development as a top-line player, the Braves should make life interesting for the Phillies this summer.

PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES

Projected Rotation:

Roy Halladay (RH)
Cliff Lee (LH)
Roy Oswalt (RH)
Cole Hamels (LH)
Joe Blanton (RH)

Grade: A --------------- They won't be the unbeatable world-conquerers many people think, but they should be awfully good, and fun to watch (particularly since my team is in the American League).

Projected Bullpen

Brad Lidge (Closer)
Jose Contreras
Ryan Madson
Kyle Kendrick
Danys Baez
J. C. Romero
Antonio Bastardo

Grade: C ---------------- A bullpen with Brad Lidge as a closer and with Jose Contreras in a major league uniform at all is one that I wouldn’t trust as far as I could throw. The starting staff is predicted to be one of the best in baseball history. With this bullpen, they'll need to be.

Everyday Lineup

Leadoff - Jimmy Rollins (SS)
2. Placido Palanco (3B)
3. Chase Utley (2B)
4. Ryan Howard (1B)
5. Shane Victorino (CF)
6. Raul Ibanez (LF)
7. Ben Francisco (RF)
8. Carlos Ruiz (C)

Grade: A ---------------- They have to replace a lot of run production with the departure of Jayson Werth, plus the starting lineup features two talented but constantly fragile members in Chase Utley and Jimmy Rollins. Yet, this is a frightening lineup on paper. It'll be interesting if they can live up to expectations.

Top Prospect - Domonic Brown (RF)

Manager - Charlie Manual

Grade: B ---------------- I’ve never been impressed by this guy, but his players seem to respond to him, and he doesn’t ruin a pitching staff (at least as far as I can see). So, while I don’t see him as a major asset, he’s good enough not to be a major flaw.

The Phillies are the latest in a long line of “can’t miss” teams in baseball history that everyone assumes will have a clear track to the World Series. But there’s a reason why the championship trophy isn’t awarded at the end of March. I don't think for a minute they will stroll peacefully along to the National League pennant? Yet, there’s just too much talent here for this team not to win the East.

FLORIDA MARLINS

Projected Rotation

Josh Johnson (RH)
Ricky Nolasco (RH)
Javier Vasquez (RH)
Anibal Sanchez (RH)
Chris Volstad (RH)

Grade: B ---------------- Any staff with Josh Johnson as a #1 will get my attention. He may be one of the 5 or 6 best starters in the game. The rotation is solid all around, and at least for the regular season, it’s a better staff with the addition of Javier “Little Game” Vasquez. The most aggravating pitcher in baseball (in my opinion), he has some of the most overpowering stuff in the game. Yet, when the stakes are highest, no set of nuts in the game shrink faster. As long as the big game lights stay off in Miami and no money is on the table, "Little Game Vasquez"will give Florida a lot of strikeouts, at least 200 innings, and 12-15 wins.

Projected Bullpen

Leo Nunez (Closer)
Mike Dunn (LH)
Randy Choate (LH)
Edward Mujica (RH)
Ryan Webb (RH)
Clay Hensley (RH)
Burke Badenhop (RH)
Brian Sanchez (RH)

Grade: B- ---------------- The Marlins bullpen is solid, unspectacular, and very young. Yet, it is filled with really good arms, and has the potential to be really good.

Projected Lineup

Leadoff - Chris Coghlan (CF)
2. Omar Infante (2B)
3. Hanley Ramirez (SS)
4. Mike Stanton (RF)
5. Gaby Sanchez (1B)
6. Logan Morrison (LF)
7. John Buck (C)
8. Matt Dominguez (3B)

Grade: B- ---------------- The lineup has some young, unproven, yet exciting talent, mainly rookie Matt Dominguez. Plus, the 3-4 combination of Hanley Ramirez and Mike Stanton could grow to be one of the best offensive tandems in the National League.

Manager - Edwin Rodriguez

Grade: ? ---------------- I haven’t seen enough of him to form an intelligent opinion? Comments from knowledgeable Marlins observers are welcome.

Losing Dan Uggla will hurt the offense, but the Marlins will rise and fall on the strength of their pitching staff which, by and large, should be very good. They won’t challenge for a post-season slot this year, but they should have a winning record.

NEW YORK METS

Projected Rotation

Chris Young (RH)
Chris Capuano (LH)
R.A. Dickey (RH)
John Niese (LH)
Mike Pelfrey (RH)

Grade: C ---------------- (I’m in a generous mood Game Plan!) This rotation desperately needs the return of a healthy Johan Santana, which probably won’t be until late in 2011, if at all. This rotation also needs the complete development of Jenrry Mejia, which will mean not rushing him up too soon. Yet, with the look of this rotation, the temptation might be too great for Terry Collins to do otherwise. Mike Pelfrey will need to be really good from April on for the Mets to stay relevant this year.

Projected Bullpen

Francisco Rodriguez (Closer)
Taylor Buchholz (RH)
Pedro Beato (RH)
Taylor Tankersley (LH)
D.J. Carrasco (RH)
Bobby Parnell (RH)

Grade: C ----------------- Assuming K-Rod has gotten over the family harmony of last season, he may be the key to any semblance of a decent season for the Mets. Getting Carrasco will help and Bobby Parnell can be good at times, plus there’s hope that Jason Isringhausen can somehow reclaim his fastball in time to be a presence on this staff. Yet, this bullpen has the potential to be a train wreck.

Projected Lineup

Leadoff - Jose Reyes
2. Angel Pagan (CF)
3. David Wright (3B)
4. Carlos Beltran (RF)
5, Jason Bay (LF)
6. Ike Davis (1B)
7. Josh Thole (C)
8. Ruben Tejada (2B) ???

Grade: C ----------------- Like the Phillies, the Mets are counting on guys whose health won’t allow them to be reliable. Does anyone really expect to have Jose Reyes and Carlos Beltran around for at least 150 games? Yet, this is exactly what they’ll need to have for any real chance to compete. Jason Bay won’t be as bad as he was in 2010, plus the Mets (and Game Plan) are hoping for their much-anticipated rookie Brad Emaus or Ruben Tejada to unseat Luis Castillo at second base. I’m predicting that he will eventually hit at a sufficient major-league level to take the job.

Manager - Terry Collins

Grade: B ------------------ The Mets have already taken a step in the right direction divesting themselves of Omar Minaya upstairs and Jerry Manual on the field. Collins has proven to be a quality manager in the past, and he could be in the future with the Mets, if given the proper talent.

The Mets could go either way, yet, with the Wilpon cloud hanging over the whole team, there doesn’t seem to be much hope for optimism. If the Mets have exceptionally good health this year, it could be an entertaining summer. If not................? Mets fans, what do you think?

WASHINGTON NATIONALS

Projected Rotation

Livan Hernandez (RH)
Tom Gorzelanny (LH)
Jason Marquis (RH)
John Lannan (LH)
Jordan Zimmerman (RH)

Grade: C- ----------------- There are too many question marks at play with this pitching staff. Livan Hernandez has been good, but he’s 135 years old, and he could go south at any time. Zimmerman is still finding himself after having his rotator cuff replaced, and Jason Marquis will always be up and down. In truth, this staff will be marking time until Steven Strasburg’s return in 2012.

Projected Bullpen

Drew Storen (Closer)
Henry Rodriguez (RH)
Tyler Clippert (RH)
Sean Burnett (LH)
Todd Coffey (RH)
Collin Balester (RH)
Doug Slaten (LH)

Grade: ? ------------------ To be frank, I’ve only seen two Nationals games in the past year. I tend to avoid them. I just peeked in to see if the hype about Strasburg was legitimate. Any input from knowledgeable Nationals watchers would be welcome.

Projected Lineup

Leadoff - Nyler Morgan (CF)
2. Ian Desmond (SS)
3. Ryan Zimmerman (3B)
4. Jayson Werth (RF)
5. Adam LaRoche (1B)
6. Roger Bernadina (LF)
7. Danny Espinosa (2B)
8. Ivan Rodriguez (C)

Grade C ----------------- For the most part, my answer here is the same as for the bullpen, but the 3-4-5 combination of Zimmerman, Werth and LaRoche should be interesting to watch. Werth will add desperately needed numbers the team will be missing from the loss of Adam Dunn (to my White Sox!!!!), but unless there’s a complete implosion in New York, it won’t be enough to get them out of the cellar of the East.

Manager - Jim Riggleman

Grade B ------------------ Riggs is a solid manager who has done a good job everywhere he’s gone, and will do fine with what he has to work with in Washington.

2011 NATIONAL LEAGUE EAST PREDICTION

1. Philadelphia Phillies
2. Atlanta Braves
3. Florida Marlins
4. New York Mets
5. Washington Nationals

Comments and critiques are welcome. National League Central predictions will be next.

Last edited:

Rezn8

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
2011 NATIONAL LEAGUE CENTRAL PREDICTIONS

CHICAGO CUBS

wrigleyfielda.jpg

wrigleyfieldb.jpg

Projected Rotation

Ryan Dempster (RH)
Carlos Silva (RH)
Matt Garza (RH)
Carlos Zambrano (RH)
Randy Wells (RH)​

Grade B --------------------------- There are a lot of world-class arms here, but the problem is....... those arms are attached to some world-class knuckleheads. If Carlos Silva, Matt Garza, and the lead idiot Carlos Zambrano were sane, they could be the foundation of one of the best rotations in all of baseball. Yet, they bring more questions to the table than assurances. Each of these guys are capable of winning 15-20 games per year, and when they are right, they are virtually unhittable. Supposedly, Zambrano has gone through extensive anger management counseling, and says that he will be much better. If you're a Cub fan, don’t hold your breath for that. Fortunately, this rotation has Ryan Dempster, a talented and mentally stable right-hander who can bolster this group. Yet, as unpredictable and unreliable as they are, the talent of this staff is off the charts, and if somehow Silva, Zambrano and Garza can find a consistent level of sanity, this staff could propel the Cubs to unforeseen heights.

Projected Bullpen

Carlos Marmol (Closer)
Sean Marshall (LH)
Kerry Wood (RH)
Andrew Cashner (RH)
Jeff Samarczija (RH)
John Grabow (LH)
Marcos Mateo (RH)​

Grade B- -------------------- The keys to the Cubs bullpen this year will be the performances of Andrew Cashner and returning favorite son Kerry Wood. If Cashner, who showed signs of excellence last year, and Wood can bring any level of consistency, they will provide an effective bridge to the strong back-end of the Cubs bullpen led by Sean Marshall and the brilliant and often unhittable Carlos Marmol, one of the best closers in all of baseball.

Projected Lineup

1. Blake DeWitt (2B)
2. Starlin Castro (SS)
3. Aramis Ramirez (3B)
4. Carlos Pena (1B)
5. Marlon Byrd (CF)
6. Tyler Colvin (RF)
7. Alfonso Soriano (LF)
8. Geovany Soto (C)​

Grade: B- -------------------------- Question marks abound for this lineup which is filled with inconsistent performers. The offense depends on the health and consistent production from Aramis Ramirez, who when healthy is one of the best run producers in the National League. Marlon Byrd made the All-Star team last year, and should be solid again this year. Geovany Soto, when healthy, produced at a good clip. Carlos Pena should be a much-needed addition to the team, both on the field and with the leadership he brings that was lost when Derrek Lee was traded last year. Major keys for this team will be the development of their young stars, Tyler Colvin and the brilliant young potential superstar Starlin Castro. If this team gets anything at all from the quickly fading Alfonso Soriano, the Cubs may be one of 2011's big surprises.

Manager: Mike Quade​

Grade B ----------------------- Quade did an outstanding job last year replacing the disinterested Lou Piniella, and seems to be the right man for the job. As someone who has been in the organization for years and knows the talent, combined with his enthusiasm and excellent communication skills, he should do well, especially since the high expectations of the past five years are gone.

Summary --------------- The Cubs are going to be better than most people think. There's a lot of talent here, especially on the mound, and if it comes together, there's no telling how far this team can go.

CINCINNATI REDS

greatamericanballpark.jpg

Projected Rotation

Johnny Queto (RH)
Bronson Arroyo (RH)
Edinson Volquez (RH)
Homer Bailey (RH)
Travis Wood (LH)​

Grade: A ------------------------- This staff is filled with explosive arms and with the exception of Arroyo, a lot of youth. Johnny Queto and Edinson Volquez have the potential to be dominant, and Arroyo is coming off a 17-win season.

Projected Bullpen

Francisco Cordero (Closer)
Jordan Smith (RH)
Jose Arredondo (RH)
Bill Bray (LH)
Nick Masset (RH)
Aroldis Chapman (LH)
Logan Ondrusek (RH)​

Grade: B ------------------------ This year’s Reds bullpen will feature Aroldis Chapman and his 105 mph fastball for the entire year, which should make it a much better unit. If he can add an effective off-speed pitch to that monster fastball, it won't be fair for hitters. The bullpen lost a steady veteran performer in Arthur Rhodes, and unbelievably, they've signed the washed up Dontrelle Willis, who should add absolutely nothing to their bullpen. Yet, there's a lot of talent here for Dusty to call on.

Projected Lineup

Leadoff - Brandon Phillips (2B)
2. Drew Stubbs (CF)
3. Joey Votto (1B)
4. Scott Rolen (3B)
5. Jay Bruce (RF)
6. Jonny Gomes (LF)
7. Ramon Hernandez (C)
8. Paul Janish (SS)​

Grade: A- ----------------------- When healthy, the Reds lineup can be explosive. After leading the National League in offense last year, the questions will be can the young hitters repeat their career years of 2010, and can excellent, but often-injured and aging Scott Rolen stay healthy to help anchor the offense. Brandon Phillips is a strong leadoff man, and league MVP Joey Votto, Jonny Gomes and Jay Bruce should be big run producers. The team lost a steady bat and a lot of veteran leadership in Orlando Cabrera, but they’ve added the elderly Edgar Renteria to back up Janish at shortstop. The team also hopes that young center fielder Drew Stubbs can continue the strong second half he displayed last year. If he does, the Reds will be hard to deal with for a second straight year.

Manager: Dusty Baker

Grade: B- ------------------------ Dusty Baker continues to get it done somehow, even though he is a questionable technical manager, and one of the worst managers of a pitching staff in all of baseball. His strength is creating a great environment for his players (particularly his veterans) to thrive, to relax, and to play in stress-free surroundings, and it seems to have worked in Cincinnati as it did for him in San Francisco, and for a while in Chicago. Plus, the talent of his pitching staff is so deep that even he can’t screw it up.

Summary ----------------- The Reds will be in a dogfight this summer with Milwaukee for the Central Division crown. If the deep talent that came to the surface last year continues to develop, they will be hard to beat.

HOUSTON ASTROS

minutemaidparkb.jpg

minutemaidpark.jpg

Projected Rotation

Brett Myers (RH)
J.A. Happ (LH)
Bud Norris (RH)
Wandy Rodriguez (LH)
Nelson Figueroa (RH)​

Grade: C- ------------------------- Brett Myers and Wandy Rodriguez are decent, but other than that, there’s not much there. Left-hander Happ showed some potential at times, and he’ll need to make a great leap forward if this team stands any chance of improving this year.

Projected Bullpen

Brandon Lyon (Closer)
Mark Melancon (RH)
Fernando Abad (LH)
Wilton Lopez (RH)
Alberto Arias (RH)
Aneury Rodriguez (RH)​

Grade: ? ----------------------- The only name I’m familiar with is Lyon who was nothing more than decent as a closer last year. I don’t consume a lot of Astros baseball (even though I live in Houston), which is an indication of how exciting this team is. Assistance from anyone familiar with the Astros would be welcome.

Projected Lineup

1. Michael Bourn (CF)
2. Clint Barnes (SS)
3. Hunter Pence (RF)
4. Carlos Lee (LF)
5. Chris Johnson (3B)
6. Brett Wallace (1B)
7. Bill Hall (2B)
8. Jason Castro (C)​

Grade D- --------------------- Any lineup with Hunter Pence in the three hole is nothing more than anemic. Carlos Lee is the only consistent run producer, and new arrival Bill Hall will need to hit higher in the order than projected and set the table for Pence and Lee. Also, Castro will have to be replaced due to a knee injury at catcher.

Manager - Brad Mills​

Grade C ---------------- From what I’ve seen he seems to be a solid baseball man, he just has little to work with in Houston.

Summary -------------- Anytime the highlight of the year was the return of a former great player (Jeff Bagwell) to the team’s coaching staff, it doesn’t bode well for that team’s future. There’s a lot of very sexy eye candy walking around downtown Houston in the summer. I’m afraid they’ll be much more entertaining to watch than Astros baseball will be.

MILWAUKEE BREWERS

millerpark.jpg

millerparkb.jpg

Projected Rotation:

Zack Greinke (RH)
Randy Wolf (LH)
Chris Narveson (LH)
Shaun Marcum (RH)
Yovani Gallardo (RH)​

Grade: B+ ------------------- The Brewers should have one of the best young staffs in all of baseball with the addition of Grienke and Markum. As a White Sox fan, I’ve seen a LOT of Greinke, and even though he was with a pitiful Kansas City Royals team, he could be lights out. With the lineup that will be backing him up in Milwaukee, he could be a 20+ game winner and challenge for his second Cy Young Award. He must be healthy to do this, however, and as I write this review, word has it that he has suffered a rib injury and will possibly miss the first two weeks of the season. Shaun Marcum was a strong performer for Toronto in the meat-grinder that the American League East can be, and he should be even better facing the weaker offenses of the National League. With the pressure off of him to anchor an entire staff, Yovanni Gallardo should be even better. Health permitting, this should be one of the top 1-2-3 combinations in all of baseball, and if the team gets anything from Chris Narveson, there’s no telling how good this team can be.

Projected Bullpen

John Axford (Closer)
Kameron Loe (RH)
LaTroy Hawkins (RH)
Manny Parra (LH)
Zack Braddock (LH)
Takashi Saito (RH)
Sean Green (RH)​

Grade: C- ---------------------- John Axford has an excellent arm, and looked really good last year. If healthy, he should do a pretty good job as closer this year. The problem will be getting to him in the late innings because of the junk thar populates this bullpen. Any bullpen that still has LaTroy Hawkins as a part of it is one that won’t be worth a damn. Unfortunately, there’s not much left in the Brewers system available as trade bait to get bullpen help after the Greinke and Marcum deals, so it looks like they’ll have to go to battle with what they have. Good luck with that.

Projected Lineup:

1. Rickie Weeks (2B)
2. Corey Hart (RF)
3. Ryan Braun (3B)
4. Prince Fielder (1B)
5. Casey McGehee (3B)
6. Yuniesky Betancourt (SS)
7. Jonathan Lucroy C
8. Carlos Gomez (CF)​

Grade: B ---------------------- If Rickey Weeks can stay healthy, the Brewers first five have the potential to be outstanding. The question will be can they get ANY production from the bottom of the lineup. The only hope in that area will be Johathan Lucroy who has shown an ability to produce at times.

Manager: Ron Roenicke​

Grade C (For Inexperience) ------------------ It will be interesting to see what Roenicke can do as a first-year manager of a team that should be a playoff contender. He has a couple things in his favor. He came up in the Dodger organization when it was still the best organization in baseball, so he not only was exposed to how an outstanding organization should be run, but he played under some of the strongest managing in baseball from the lower minor leagues on. After his playing career ended, he went on to work for Tommy Lasorda in L.A., Dusty Baker in San Francisco, and in the last few years, for Mike Scioscia with the Angels, which is as good of a managerial apprenticeship as one can have. Yet, there’s nothing like being on the hot seat yourself, especially with a team that can contend for a pennant.

Summary --------------- A lot of pieces have to fall in place for this team to reach their potential. The starting pitching has to be every bit as good as expected. The sometimes inconsistent offense needs to come through, with the injury-prone leadoff man staying healthy and with increased offensive production from a talented but inconsistent young catcher. The closer has to be as good as he showed signs of being last year, and most importantly, the bullpen has to show some guts and an ability to perform consistently. Yet, with health permitting, this team could be one of the surprise teams in all of baseball, and has the ability to get deep into the post-season.

PITTSBURGH PIRATES

pncparka.jpg

Projected Rotation
Kevin Correia (RH)
James McDonald (RH)
Ross Ohlendorf (RH)
Paul Maholm (LH)
Scott Olsen (LH)​

Grade: C- ------------------ There’s not a lot here, but the cupboard is not totally bare. Maholm and Ohlendorf can be very good, at times, and will need to be this year to keep fans awake in Pittsburgh.

Projected Bullpen

Joel Hanrahan (Closer)
Chris Resop (RH)
Jeff Karstens (RH)
Evan Meek (RH)
Joe Beimel (LH)
Jeff Karstens (RH)​

Grade D- --------------------- There’s enough crap here to turn a stomach. No one here worth mentioning.

Projected Lineup

1. Andrew McCutchen (CF)
2. Jose Tabata (LF)
3. Neil Walker (2B)
4. Pedro Alvarez (3B)
5. Garrett Jones (RF)
6. Lyle Overbay (1B)
7. Ronny Cedeno (SS)
8. Chris Snyder (C)​

Grade: C- -----------------------------There’s actually some talent here. McCutchen is actually one of the better leadoff men in the league, and is a good defender in center field. Pedro Alvarez is a potential All-Star in the making, and will need to get better this year.

Manager: Clint Hurdle​

Grade C---------------------- Like Brad Mills in Houston, Hurdle is a pretty good manager with almost no talent to work with. It’s really not fair to judge him with the crap he’s been given to put on the field.

Summary --------------- Once again, one of the most beautiful ballparks in all of baseball will be the draw for this once great franchise that was once home to Clemente, Stargell, Oliver, Ellis, and Bonds. Sad to see what’s happened here.

ST. LOUIS CARDINALS

buschstadiuma.jpg

buschstadiumb.jpg

Projected Rotation

Chris Carpenter (RH)
Jaime Garcia (LH)
Jake Westbrook (RH)
Kyle Lohse (RH)
Kyle McClellen (RH)​

Grade C ------------------ What once was one of the strongest rotations in the National League turned very questionable within one week with the loss of Adam Wainwright, and an injury to Chris Carpenter. There’s a lot of solid veteran arms here with Lohse, Garcia and Westbrook. Yet, this staff will need a quick return to health by Carpenter (who’s never been known to stay healthy for long) if they have any shot at the National League Central this year.

Projected Bullpen

Ryan Franklin (closer)
Trever Miller (LH)
Miguel Batista (RH)
Mitchell Boggs (RH)
Fernando Salas (RH)
Jason Motte (RH)​

Grade B ------------------------ Just like the starting rotation, the bullpen took an ill-fated hit with an injury to
Boggs. He will need to be healthy for this bullpen to sustain itself this year. When healthy, he can be very good, as can Miller. Ryan Franklin is solid as a closer and Jason Motte has a big arm and the potential to be very effective.

Projected Lineup

1. Skip Schumaker (2B)
2. Colby Rasmus (CF)
3. Albert Pujols (1B)
4. Matt Holliday (LF)
5. Lance Berkman (RF)
6. Yadier Molina (C)
7. David Freese (3B
8. Ryan Theriot (SS)​

Grade: C- ---------------- Other than the 3 and 4 positions, nothing about this lineup excites me much, and I wonder who in this lineup will consistently set the table for Pujols and Holliday.

Manager: Tony Larussa​

Grade: A -------------------- The management tandem of Larussa and pitching coach Dave Duncan is one of the best in baseball history, and they’ll need to be this year, in my opinion, for the Cardinals to compete for post-season play.

Summary ---------------- There is little margin for error for this Cardinals team. If there are any injuries to key players, particularly Pujols, Holliday or Carpenter, this will be a long year in St. Louis. Even if all hands are on deck, all stars will have to be aligned for this team to reach the post-season in a National League Central that has become unexpectedly loaded.

2011 NATIONAL LEAGUE CENTRAL PREDICTION

1. Cincinnati Reds
2. Milwaukee Brewers
3. Chicago Cubs
4. St. Louis Cardinals
5. Houston Astros
6. Pittsburgh Pirates​

NATIONAL LEAGUE WEST UP NEXT

Last edited:

Rezn8

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
2011 NATIONAL LEAGUE WEST PREDICTIONS

ARIZONA DIAMONDBACKS

chasefieldb.jpg

chasefielda.jpg

Projected Rotation
Zack Duke (LH)
Joe Saunders (LH)
Daniel Hudson (RH)
Ian Kennedy (RH)
Armando Gallaraga (RH)​

Grade: C ----------------------- The Diamondbacks are in rebuilding mode in all phases of their team, and the starting rotation is no different. The leading returner is Daniel Hudson, who came in a trade from my White Sox last year and went 7-1 when facing the weaker offenses of the National League. He will be joined by Joe Saunders who was effective for the Angels but disappointing last year in Arizona. Zach Duke and Armando Gallaraga are newcomers, but have been mediocre in the past. The Diamondbacks are looking forward to their young top pitching prospect Jarrod Parker, who will start the year in the minors after undergoing elbow surgery.

Projected Bullpen
J. J. Putz (Closer)
Aaron Heilman (RH)
David Hernandez (RH)
Juan Gutierrez (RH)
Sam Demel (RH)
Mike Hampton (LH)
Joe Patterson (LH)​

Grade: C- ---------------- There’s nowhere to go but up for a bullpen that was one of the worst in the recent history of baseball. This year’s bullpen will be anchored by J.J. Putz (yet another White Sox transplant) who was excellent last year as a set-up man and part-time closer. Juan Gutierrez has a really good arm, and will help, yet this will still be a relatively weak group this year.

Projected Lineup
1. Chris Young (CF)
2. Kelly Johnson (2B)
3. Stephen Drew (SS)
4. Justin Upton (RF)
5. Miguel Montero (C)
6. Xavier Nady (LF)
7. Russell Branyan (1B)
8. Melvin Mora (3B)​

Grade: C- ----------------- There’s not much punch in this lineup. It will be a tad bit better with the additions of Melvin Mora from Baltimore and Xavier Nady from the Cubs. The offense, once again, will hinge upon the further development of potential superstar Justin Upton, and the consistent production of Chris Young. When healthy, there’s nothing Upton can’t do. His numbers last year (273, 17 HR, 69 RBI, 18 SB) were good considering he missed over 30 games due to injury, and at 23, the sky’s the limit for how far he can go. His power numbers will need to increase with a decrease in strikeouts for this team’s offense to have a chance to thrive. Chris Young (a third ex-White Sox) also has the talent to be an exceptional run-producer and will need to continue to put up the solid power numbers of last year (.257, 27 Hrs, 91 RBI, 28 SB) and become a team leader for the D-Backs to have a shot at being competitive.

Manager - Kirk Gibson​

Grade: C ----------------- The jury is out on Kirk Gibson as he enters his first full year on the hot seat. He is just as competitive as he was as a player, and seems to have good relationships with his players. But, it’s early, and he’ll have to show patience with a young team, and display an ability to properly handle a rebuilt pitching staff.

Summary ----------- It doesn’t look great for Arizona, but they are in the National League West where anything can happen. The bullpen additions will help them to keep late-inning leads that got away from them too many times last year. Yet, a lot will have to go right for the Diamondbacks to have a shot at competing in this division.

COLORADO ROCKIES

coorsfielda.jpg

coorsfieldb.jpg

Projected Rotation​
Aaron Cook (RH)
Jorge De La Rosa (LH)
Jason Hammel (RH)
Jhoulys Chacin (RH)
Ubaldo Jimenez (RH)​

Grade: B+ ----------------------- The Rockies boast a staff with a lot of great arms but a whole lot of youth, consequently, a great 2011 won’t be etched in stone. Yet, the potential is there for excellence with Jorge De La Rosa and Jhoulys Chacin who showed a lot of promise last year. Once again, the staff will be led by the spectacular Ubaldo Jimenez, last year’s National League All-Star starter, and a finalist for the 2010 Cy Young Award. With the light hitting in the NL West, a staff with the potential to be this good can take the Rockies farther than expected.

Potential Bullpen
Huston Street (Closer)
Felipe Paulino (RH)
Matt Lindstrom (RH)
Matt Belisle (RH)
Matt Reynolds (LH)
Rafael Betancourt (RH)
Franklin Morales (LH)​

Grade: B ---------------------- Huston Street can be dominating when he’s right, and should be solid in the closer’s role. This bullpen has a lot of depth, but other than Street, nothing outstanding. Lindstrom has closer’s stuff, and brings a lot of depth to the bullpen. He has been used in the closer’s role in the past, and should be able to spell Street when needed.

Projected Lineup
1. Eric Young, Jr. (2B)
2. Seth Smith (LF)
3. Carlos Gonzalez (RF)
4. Troy Tulowitzki
5. Todd Helton (1B)
6. Dexter Fowler (CF)
7. Ian Stewart (3B)
8. Chris Ianetta (C)​

Grade: B ----------------------There’s a lot of potential for this lineup to be explosive, yet, there’s a lot of youth here that is still in the process of being developed. Seth Smith, and Ian Stewart had stretches of offensive excellence last year, and have the potential for even better numbers this year. In National League batting champion Carlos Gonzalez and Troy Tulowitzki, the Rockies have one of the best young power combinations in the game, and both can be All-Star caliber players, particularly Gonzalez who is also one of the better defensive outfielders in the league. The big question for the Rockies will be if there’s anything left in the tank of aging and injured Todd Helton. After being physically beat up last year and posting the worst numbers of his career, there’s nothing but question marks where Helton is concerned. If he can return to some semblance of his past form, the Rockies will be hard to beat. The Rockies offense also needs a better performance from the leadoff position. There will be a battle for the leadoff spot between Dexter Fowler and Eric Young, Jr., and I’m going with E.Y. Jr. to get the job. Dexter Fowler, however, will be an important factor to this team. His speed, sick athletic ability, and defensive skills in the canyon that is the Coors Field outfield make him a necessity for this lineup. If he can improve his offensive numbers he may be the spark that could push the Rockies past the Giants for the division crown.

Manager: Jim Tracy​

Grade: A ------------------ Ever since his tenure with the Dodgers, Jim Tracy has been one of the best managers in the game, and he is excellent with young talent. He has done well with this team in the past two years, and there’s no reason his streak of quality leadership shouldn’t continue.

Summary ------------ The Rockies went on their usual late-season hot streak last year, but fell short of the Giants. There’s a lot of youth here, but it’s youth with considerable talent. If two or three of these guys can find consistency and Todd Helton can bring additional power to the offense, this team has the ability to push past the Giants for control of the National League West.

LOS ANGELES DODGERS

dodgerstadium.jpg

dodgerstadiumb.jpg

Projected Rotation​
Clayton Kershaw (LH)
Chad Billingsley (RH)
Ted Lilly (LH)
Jon Garland (RH)
Hiroki Kiroda (LH)
Vicente Padilla (RH)​

Grade B+ ----------------------- Clayton Kershaw is one of the best left-handers in the league, and with the addition of Jon Garland and a full season from the usually reliable Ted Lilly, this staff should be a lot stronger this year. While this won’t be a spectacular staff, from 1 to 5, there aren't many weaknesses here either, and the Dodgers should be in the middle of most games this year.

Projected Bullpen​
Jonathan Broxton (Closer)
Blake Hawksworth
Matt Guerrier
Kenley Jansen (RH)
Ron Mahay (LH)
Hong-Chih Kuo (LH)
Ramon Troncoso (RH)
Ronald Bellsario (RH)​

Grade: C -------------------- There’s a lot of depth here and some good arms, but there’s nothing here in the way of top-flight, consistent talent. Jonathan Broxton is the closer for now, but given his performance last year, that could change before the spring is over. Hong-Chih Kuo has the ability to close and could replace Broxton if he falters.

Projected Lineup​
1. Rafael Furcal (SS)
2. Casey Blake (3B)
3. Matt Kemp (CF)
4. Andre Ethier (RF)
5. James Loney (1B)
6. Juan Uribe (2B)
7. Marcus Thames (LF)
8. Rod Barajas C​

Grade: B- ---------------------- This lineup should be a lot better than last year. James Loney has been inconsistent, but has the ability to be outstanding. He needs a big year, and he needs to get off to a strong start in April. Andre Ethier is the anchor to the offense, and should continue to be solid in the clean-up position hitting behind Matt Kemp. Juan Uribe will bring a steady, often spectacular glove to the infield, but as a White Sox fan, I can assure Dodger fans that he will drive you nuts at the plate. He has no strike zone whatsoever, and will end a lot of big rallies by swinging at pitches a little leaguer would know to avoid. Yet, he will also hit a lot of big home runs and drive in some clutch runs throughout the year. It’s simply what you’ll get from Juan Uribe. Marcus Thames should add some much-needed punch to the lower end of the lineup. Yet, this lineup is not at all set in stone. Tony Gwynn, Jr., and Gabe Kapler could find their way into the lineup before the spring is over.

Manager: Don Mattingley​

Grade: C -------------------- This is probably not the best year for Don Mattingly to get his managerial feet wet. With all the new additions after an active off-season, Mattingly will have to learn on the fly how to handle both a lot of new faces, but a questionable bullpen. He must also find ways to get consistent offense in a division filled with outstanding pitching. In the National League West, pitching rules the roost, and with competitors like Bud Black, Bruce Boche, and Jim Tracy, all experienced in handling pitching staffs, Mattingly will have his work cut out for him.

Summary ---------- With a solid starting staff and the potential for more consistent offensive production, the Dodgers should see improvement over last year. With the manpower losses experienced in San Diego this winter, the Dodgers should not fall to fourth place again. Yet, the offense will have to step it up by a big margin if they hope to compete with the Giants and the Rockies.

SAN DIEGO PADRES

petcoparkc.jpg

petcoparkb.jpg

Projected Rotation​
Matt Latos (RH)
Clayton Richard (LH)
Tim Staufer (RH)
Aaron Harang (RH)
Cory Luebke (LH)
Matt LaBlanc (LH)​

Grade: B ------------------------ Matt Latos is one of the most talented starters in the National League and Clayton Richard (yet another former White Sox pitcher) is not far behind. Behind this strong front two, there’s not much else there. Aaron Harang will be joining the staff after going 6-7 last year in Cincinnati. The hope is that he will be much more effective in the hitter-unfriendly dimensions of Petco Park. Tim Staufer had his moments last year, and has the potential to make a strong contribution, but it won’t be enough to put this team over the top.

Projected Bullpen
Heath Bell (Closer)
Joe Thatcher (LH)
Chad Qualls (RH)
Ernesto Frieri (RH)
Dustin Moseley (RH)
Mike Adams (RH)
Luke Gregorson (RH)
Randy Flores (LH)​

Grade B+ ------------------------------ The Padres bullpen is deep and talented, led by closer Heath Bell and Mike Adams who has the potential to have a breakout year. Chad Qualls should also add depth to an already solid bullpen.

Projected Lineup
1. Will Venable (RF)
2. Jason Bartlett (SS)
3. Orlando Hudson (2B)
4. Brad Hawpe (1B)
5. Ryan Ludwick (LF)
6. Chase Headley (3B)
7. Cameron Maybin (CF)
8. Nick Hundley (C)​

Grade: C ----------------------- This lineup has to find a way to replace a lot of runs lost when All-Star Adrian Gonzalez moved on to Boston. Orlando Hudson and Jason Bartlett are new arrivals who will add stability to the up-the-middle defense, but will they add punch to an offense that will desperately need runs this year? They will have to be effective in setting the table for Brad Hawpe, a capable power hitter who will find the going much more difficult reaching the far away walls of Petco Park.

Manager: Bud Black​

Grade: A ---------------------- National League Manager of the Year Bud Black got the most last year from a team with marginal talent in the everyday lineup, and was masterful in handling a strong pitching staff while guiding the Padres to within a game of the National League West title. He’ll need another good year after losing an All-Star run producer and team leader in Adrian Gonzalez.

Summary ---------- The Padres won’t be as bad as most people think, but the loss of Gonzalez will hurt a great deal. In a division where offense will be hard to come by, replacing those numbers won’t be easy. The pitching staff will have to pick it up, and the newcomers to the Padres lineup will have to produce if this team hopes to be a force in the West.

SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS

attparksanfrancisco.jpg

attparke.jpg

Projected Rotation​
Tim Lincecum (RH)
Matt Cain (RH)
Jonathan Sanchez (LH)
Madison Bumgarner (LH)
Barry Zito (LH)​

Grade: A -------------------------- With the emergence of Jonathan Sanchez last year, the Giants were able to add another reliable weapon to the devastating 1-2 combination of Lincecum and Cain. He’ll have to be even better for the Giants to have a shot at a repeat performance. With Barry Zito continuing to be a high-priced suckfest, the top three will have to be consistent, and with Matt Cain already hurting in the spring, it’s easy to see how lucky a team has to be to go all the way. Bumgarner had a promising rookie year and should be a good deal better with a year under his belt, and Jeff Suppan has been added to give the staff some depth.

Projected Bullpen
Brian Wilson (Closer)
Javier Lopez (LH)
Jeremy Affeldt (LH)
Ramon Ramirez (RH)
Guillermo Mota (RH)
Dan Runzler (LH)
Sergio Romo (LH)​

Grade: B --------------------------- Brian Wilson was lights out from the late-season pennant drive through the post season, and he should have another solid year as the team’s closer. Javier Lopez was also effective during the stretch drive, and will need to be consistent throughout the year. This unit will also need a strong performance from Jeremy Affeldt who was the top set-up man leading up to Wilson last year.

Projected Lineup
1. Andres Torres (CF)
2. Freddy Sanchez (2B)
3. Aubrey Huff (1B)
4. Buster Posey C
5. Miguel Tejada (SS)
6. Pat Burrell (LF)
7. Pablo Sandoval (3B)
8. Cody Ross (RF)​

Grade: C- ---------------------------- I saw it with my own eyes, so I know that it happened. Yet, how this team could win a world championship with the crap that populated last year's lineup is something I haven’t quite figured out. They lose Edgar Renteria and Juan Uribe off that unit, and gain the aged Miguel Tejada to take Uribe’s place. Aubrey Huff is a decent run producer, and Buster Posey looks like the real deal, and should be a bright spot for years to come. Yet, this year’s lineup doesn’t excite me any more than last year’s. They will need big years from Huff and Posey, and Pablo Sandoval must stay healthy and produce at an increased clip. Also, the Giants have to hope that the Pat Burrell who cooled the hot Texas air with his swings and misses during the World Series won't be the Pat Burrell who returns to their lineup this year. The Giants will also benefit offensively from the usually reliable utility man Mark Derosa and backup center fielder Aaron Rowand.

Manager: Bruce Bochy​

Grade: A -------------------- Bochy has been solid for a long time, and he’ll need his team, particularly his starters, to stay healthy if he’s to have another run at this year’s Manager of the Year award.

Summary ------- Sans the lackluster Barry Zito, the Giants starting rotation is the absolute truth. They will have to bring it on a consistent basis again if this team is to repeat the success of last year. With the departure of Uribe, the up-the-middle defense behind the pitching staff won’t be as reliable, and the offensive firepower will be a question mark. Yet, this team found a way to catch lightning in a bottle last year, and in the National League West, anything is possible.

2011 NATIONAL LEAGUE WEST PREDICTION

1st - Colorado Rockies
2nd - San Francisco Giants
3rd - Los Angeles Dodgers
4th - San Diego Padres
5th - Arizona Diamondbacks​

*** African-American players will be highlighted in bold type. (Let's bring baseball back to our community!!!)

Next Up: American League East

Last edited:

Game Plan

Star
Registered
1 Down, 1 To Go :dance:

Mets cut Luis Castillo, eat $6M

1st 2 paragraphs quoted
PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. -- Second baseman Luis Castillo has been released by the New York Mets with one year and $6 million remaining on his contract.

"After a long evaluation during spring training, after consulting with [manager] Terry [Collins] and the coaching staff, I made a recommendation to ownership in the best interest of the organization and Louie that he be released," general manager Sandy Alderson said. "Ownership approved."

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=6232297

Game Plan

Star
Registered
:lol:
I'm glad too, but I won't dance until I see a young hungry brotha at that 2b spot. Maybe Richie Weeks?

Well word is that they will platoon 2B with Murphy, I think Justin Turner, and maybe another younger prospect we have...not sure the exact guys up for that spot.

But today I'm really dancing.....why you ask, because

OLLIE "I'LL NEVER GIVE YOU 5 GOOD INNINGS" PEREZ IS GONE!!

:D:D:D:yes::yes::D:D:D:cool:

Rezn8

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
2011 AMERICAN LEAGUE EAST PREDICTIONS​

BALTIMORE ORIOLES

baltimoreorioles.jpg

Projected Rotation
Brad Bergesen (RH)
Brian Matusz (LH)
Dustin Duchscherer (RH)
Jake Arrieta (RH)
Jeremy Guthrie (RH)​

Grade: C -------------------------- The Orioles starting rotation is filled with unproven young talent that will bring more question marks than firm expectations.

Projected Bullpen
Koji Uehara (Closer)
Jim Johnson (RH)
Kevin Gregg (RH)
Mike Gonzalez (LH)
Mark Hendrickson (LH)
Jeremy Accardo (RH)
Jason Berken (RH)​

Grade: C ------------------------- Much like the starting staff, the bullpen is filled with a lot of potential talent, but a lot of youth that could go either way this year.

Projected Lineup
1. Brian Roberts (2B)
2. Nick Markakis (RF)
3. Derrek Lee (1B)
4. Vladimir Guerrero (DH)
5. Luke Scott (LF)
6. Mark Reynolds (3B)
7. Adam Jones (CF)
8. J. J. Hardy (SS)
8. Matt Wieters C​

Grade B+ ------------------------ With their aggressive moves this off-season, the Orioles have rebuilt their lineup into a classic American League pitcher’s nightmare. They add a still potent, future Hall-of-Fame bat in Vladimir Guerrero from Texas. They add a proven 30 HR, 85+ RBI man in Mark Reynolds from Arizona. And they add the quiet elegance of Derrek Lee, who if healthy, brings at least 25 HR’s, 80+ RBI, and some of the best defensive skills at first base in the history of baseball. Add this talent to Brian Roberts, Nick Markakis, Luke Scott, and Adam Jones and you have the makings for a lineup that can produce a ton of offense. They’ll need their veterans to stay healthy, and they’ll need all the run production this team is certainly capable of putting up, particularly if the young pitching happens to go south.

Manager: Buck Showalter​

Grade: A --------------------------- Buck Showalter took the job in Baltimore in August and brought experience and respectability from his past successes, while demanding accountability from his new players, and helped spark a drastic turnaround that saw the Orioles finish 2010 as one of the hottest teams in the major leagues. Showalter has a history of being a winner. He also has a history of wearing out his welcome after a short time. He has always been a classic micro-manager who controls everything from the day-to-day lineup selections to the brand of soft drinks to be stocked in the locker room. Yet, his attention to detail, and his demand that players master the nuances of fundamental baseball may be perfect for a team that needs rebuilding from the ground up.

Summary ------------- With the additions of Derrek Lee, Vladimir Guerrero, J. J. Hardy and Mark Reynolds, the Orioles offense has the potential to be one of the better lineups in the American League. If they get good performances from one or two of their young starters, they will be more competitive than they've been in many a year.

BOSTON RED SOX

bostonredsox.jpg

Projected Rotation
Josh Beckett (RH)
Jon Lester (LH)
Clay Buchholz (RH)
John Lackey (RH)
Daisuke Matsuzaka (RH)​

Grade: A ----------------------- Much like the Phillies starting staff, this year’s Red Sox staff is expected to be a world-beating monster. Yet like the Phillies, this staff probably won’t live up to the over-the-top expectations. Josh Beckett, Daisuke Matsuzaka, and Jon Lester haven’t been fountains of good health over the past few years. Plus, Lackey, Beckett and Matsuzaka are hoping to rebound from lackluster seasons last year. Yet, this staff has the ability to be devastating, led by Lester who won 19 and challenged for a Cy Young Award last year.

Projected Bullpen
Jonathan Papelbon (Closer)
Dan Wheeler (RH)
Bobby Jenks (RH)
Daniel Bard (RH)
Tim Wakefield (RH)
Hideki Okajema (LH)
Dennys Reyes (LH)​

Grade: B ------------------------ There’s a lot of talent and a lot of depth in this year’s Boston bullpen, but everything ultimately hinges on the performance of Jonathan Papelbon who was a suckfest through much of 2010. The Sox also add talented but highly unreliable Bobby Jenks from the White Sox for added depth.

Projected Lineup
Jacoby Ellsbury (CF)
Dustin Pedroia (2B)
Carl Crawford (LF)
Adrian Gonzalez (1B)
Kevin Youkilis (3B)
David Ortiz (DH)
J.D. Drew (RH)
Marco Scutaro (SS)
Jason Saltalamacchia C​

Grade: A -------------------- The potent Red Sox lineup got even more lethal over the winter with the additions of Adrian Gonzalez from San Diego and the monster talent of Carl Crawford from Tampa Bay. Like the starting staff, much of this year’s offensive concerns rest on health. Marco Scutaro and Jacoby Ellsbury are coming off injuries, but the main focus will be on how All-Star Dustin Pedroia responds to foot surgery. Expect even more production from Kevin Youkalis, returning to his normal third base spot, and from David Ortiz, both of whom are no longer looked to as the primary run producers.

Manager: Terry Francona​

Grade: A ---------------------- Francona gets my vote as the best manager in baseball today. His cool, unshakable demeanor has been perfect for the high pressure cauldron that surrounds the Red Sox every year. He gets the most from his players and handles a pitching staff as well as any manager in the game. The pressure will be particularly high with the expectations this team has. Yet, there's not many managers better suited to handle the close scrutiny.

Summary ---------------------- With the 2011 Red Sox, everything is dependent on health. If this team stays healthy, they could run away and hide, making a mockery of the AL East. Yet like with the Phillies in the National League, champions aren’t crowned at the end of March. Injuries will occur, and someone expected to excel will go into the tank. Yet, this team should find themselves on the top of the heap come October.

NEW YORK YANKEES

newyorkyankees.jpg

Projected Rotation
A.J. Burnett (RH)
C.C. Sabathia (LH)
Phil Hughes (RH)
Sergio Mitre (RH)
Ivan Nova (RH)
Freddy Garcia (RH)
Bartolo Colon (RH)​

Grade: C--------------------There’s a lot of undependable crap here that could make this a very difficult campaign for the Yankees. C.C. Sabathia and Phil Hughes are a good 1-2, but the rest of this group could go either way. A.J. Burnett is like that gorgeous, shapely girl from high school who was a natural born tease, having all the equipment in place that you’d want and always radiating the promise of great times but producing little to nothing in the end. The retirement of Andy Pettitte and the departure of Javier Vasquez will also have to be dealt with. Even though there’s never been an important game he’s shown up for in his life, the Yankees will lose a lot of regular season stability with the loss of Vasquez who is usually good for at least 10-15 wins and 200 innings pitched per year. Sergio Mitre, Bartolo Colon, and Freddy Garcia will battle for the fourth and fifth spots. As a White Sox fan who has seen a LOT of Freddy Garcia and Bartolo Colon over the years, my money would be on Freddy to make this staff. Garcia came out of nowhere last year (literally) and was OUTSTANDING all year for the White Sox. His fastball is gone, and he throws a lot of junk, but no one is better at hitting locations, changing speeds, and flat out PITCHING than Freddy, and I predict he will be a solid contributor to this staff. With new pitching coach Larry Rothschild coming in from the Cubs, expect former Cubs Sergio Mitre and Mark Prior to get good long looks. The Yankees also need the quick development of their talented young right-hander Ivan Nova. Deciding on a starting rotation will be one of the key decisions of the year for this team, since their margin for error will be so small. This staff will have to be very good and very consistent all year long if the Yankees maintain any hopes of keeping pace with the Red Sox this summer.

Projected Bullpen
Mariano Rivera (Closer)
Joba Chamberlain (RH)
Pedro Feliciano (LH)
Boone Logan (LH)
Rafael Soriano (RH)
David Robertson (LH)​

Grade: A ---------------------- With the questionable starting pitching the Yankees will feature this year, the importance of bullpen stability has never been greater, and fortunately for Yankee fans, this should be one of the strengths of the team. This bullpen has a lot of great arms and a lot of depth. Joba Chamberlain and Boone Logan will bring major heat from the right- and left-hand sides of the mound, and Pedro Feliciano shows a lot of promise. Adding another quality closer to the group, in last year’s American League saves leader Rafael Soriano from Texas, will be a key addition for the team, and will make this unit even stronger. The lynchpin to the whole operation, as usual, will be the great Rivera, who showed no signs of slowing down last year. The Yankees will need him to put together another year of excellence in a season that should be filled with pressure all summer long.

Projected Lineup
1. Derek Jeter (SS)
2. Curtis Granderson (CF)
3. Mark Texiera (1B)
4. Alex Rodriguez (3B)
5. Robinson Cano (2B)
6. Nick Swisher (RF)
7. Jorge Posada (DH)
8. Russell Martin C
9. Brett Gardner (LF)​

Grade: B ----------------------This is a tough call. The Yankees led the league in runs scored last year, and they add Russell Martin from the Dodgers who should add some quality to an already potent lineup. Yet, there are questions in my mind about this group. Derek Jeter is on the downside of a Hall-of-Fame career, and can no longer be looked to for his automatic .280+, 200-hit seasons. Also, Nick Swisher, who produced quality numbers last season, has a long history of being a hit-or-miss offensive contributor, and he’s well due for one of his usual off years. Then, there’s the matter of the designated hitter. Jorge Posada will fill this role this season, and while he’s decent (18 HR’s, 57 RBI in 2010), he honestly doesn’t stack up to the Vlad Guerrero’s, the David Ortiz’s, the Jim Thome’s, the Adam Dunn’s, and many of the other monsters who fill that role throughout the league. The Yankees are obviously banking on his power numbers increasing as his catching responsibilities decrease. On the up side, the 3-4-5 combination is as good as any in the major leagues, particularly with the emergence of Robinson Cano into one of the game’s elite all-around performers. Yet, it remains to be seen which way this offense will go. At worst, it will be a better than average lineup. Yet, if Swisher can repeat his production, if Jeter rebounds from a so-so 2010, and if Brett Gardner continues to improve, the Yankees may be an offensive juggernaut this year.

Manager: Joe Girardi​

Grade: B ---------------------Girardi is an overall solid manager who is very strong in one of the most important job skills any of today’s major league managers must have - management of a pitching staff. He seems to have the respect of a veteran team, and gets the most out of his players. Though he hasn’t as yet reached the elite level of managers in my mind, he’s firmly in the top level of managers, just below the elite, and quickly moving up the ladder.

Summary ---------------The 2011 Yankees will be as good as their starting rotation allows them to be, which ultimately won’t be quite good enough, in my estimation. This will be a pressure-filled year for the Yankees who will have to be good from the very start if they hope to compete with a Red Sox team that is absolutely stacked. Plus, with the AL Central being loaded with quality this year, the Yankees will most likely have to win the East for a chance to reach the post season. It will be fun to see how they respond to the challenge of keeping pace with the Red Sox, and what moves the Cashman-Steinbrenner team have in store to even the balance of power. It should be an awfully entertaining summer.

TAMPA BAY RAYS

tampabayrays.jpg

Projected Rotation
James Shields (LH)
David Price (RH)
Wade Davis (RH)
Jeff Niemann (RH)
Jeremy Hellickson (RH)​

Grade: C ------------------------- Despite all its off-season losses, the Rays starting staff still has a good amount of quality at the top with David Price and James Shields. Even though Shields 2010 record didn’t show it, he has a world of talent, and has the ability to rebound into the dependable number two the Rays need him to be. The Rays have a lot of talent to replace after losing Matt Garza to the Cubs, and after the top two, the starting staff is a lot like this entire team - it’s one big question mark.

[
Projected Bullpen
Kyle Farnsworth (Closer)
Juan Cruz (RH)
Adam Russell (RH)
Jake McGee (LH)
Andy Sonnanstine (RH)
Cesar Ramos (LH)
Joel Peralta (RH)​

Grade: C- ---------------------------- The Rays will enter the 2011 season with a rebuilt bullpen, and based on what’s here, the building will have to continue throughout the year. The team will depend on the talented, but always unreliable Kyle Farnsworth to close, and there’s not much leading up to him so far. With the low level of quality in this group, the starting rotation will need to step up the production if the Rays have hopes of contending with the big boys of the East.

Projected Lineup
Johnny Damon (LF)
Ben Zobrist (2B)
Evan Longoria (3B)
Manny Ramirez (DH)
B.J. Upton (CF)
Matt Joyce (RF)
Dan Johnson (1B)
Reid Brignac (SS)
John Jaso C​

Grade: C ---------------------- Any lineup that includes All-Star Evan Longoria and the talented B.J. Upton can’t be all bad. Yet, this lineup won’t cause many sleepless nights to managers around the American League. The Rays lost one of the game’s best performers in Carl Crawford and team leader Carlos Pena, and brought in antiques Johnny Damon and the nearly done Manny Ramirez. This offense needs monster years from Longoria and Upton, and decent production from Damon if they hope to keep pace with Boston and New York.

Manager: Joe Maddon​

Grade: A ------------------------- Maddon has proven himself to be one of the best all-around managers in the game, and will need to be at his best this year with a team that’s clearly in rebuilding mode. He’ll particularly have to earn his money managing a weak pitching staff in an American League filled with devastating lineups.

Summary ------------------------- The Rays lost an awful lot of talent over the winter with the departures of Carl Crawford, Carlos Pena, Matt Garza, and Jason Bartlett. Yet, their farm system has been one of the best in all of baseball for the past five years, and they may have enough to fool pessimistic skeptics like me. Yet, this will be a difficult year for the Rays in a year when the American League East is filled with talent.

TORONTO BLUE JAYS

torontobluejays.jpg

Projected Rotation
Brett Cecil (LH)
Jesse Listch (RH)
Kyle Drabek (RH)
Brandon Morrow (RH)
Ricky Romero (LH)​

Grade: C- ----------------------- Like the team as a whole, the Blue Jays starting rotation is in the midst of being built for the future. Having lost Roy Halladay and Shaun Marcum in successive years, the Blue Jays are depending on the development of a lot of young arms, most notably Ricky Romero.

Projected Bullpen
Frank Francisco (Closer)
Shawn Camp (RH)
David Purcey (LH)
John Rauch (RH)
Jason Frasor (RH)
Octavio Dotel (RH)​

Grade: C- ----------------------- There’s a lot of substandard crap here that doesn’t lend itself to pennant race standards. Frank Francisco and John Rauch are the only fairly reliable performers here, unless Octavio Dotel can rebound from injury.

Projected Lineup
Rajai Davis (CF)
Yunel Escobar (SS)
Jose Bautista (3B)
Adam Lind (1B)
Aaron Hill (2B)
Travis Snider (LF)
Edwin Encarnacion (DH)
Juan Rivera (RF)
J.P Arencibia C​

Grade: C- ------------------------- The youth movement has begun in Toronto with the off-season departures of Vernon Wells, John Buck, and Lyle Overbay.The offense will be anchored by American League Home Run champion Jose Bautista, who will need another monster year for this offense to produce consistently. Rajai Davis and Yunel Escobar will provide a lot of speed, but this offense will struggle to replace the production lost with the losses of Overbay and Wells.

Manager: John Farrell​

Grade: C- --------------- The jury is still out on inexperienced John Farrell who will have the added pressure of managing a young, rebuilding team in one of the most competitive divisions in the major leagues.

Summary: ---------------------- There’s a lot of young talent here that could prove to be substantial in future seasons. But 2011 will be a long summer in Toronto as the Blue Jays will struggle to find their way out of the cellar of the always loaded American League East.

2011 AMERICAN LEAGUE EAST PREDICTION

1st - Boston Red Sox
2nd - New York Yankees
3rd - Baltimore Orioles
4th - Tampa Bay Rays
5th - Toronto Blue Jays​

Up Next: American League West​

Rezn8

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
2011 AMERICAN LEAGUE WEST PREDICTIONS

LOS ANGELES ANGELS

losangelesangels.jpg

Projected Rotation
Ervin Santana (RH)
Jared Weaver (RH)
Scott Kazmir (LH)
Dan Haren (RH)
Joel Pineiro (RH)​

Grade: A -------------- This rotation has the potential to be one of the league’s best. With the exception of the underachieving and very unreliable Scott Kazmir, there’s not a lot of weakness here. The Weaver-Haren-Santana top three is as strong as any in the league, and if they get anything from Kazmir, the Angels could be in the running to reclaim their top spot in the West.

Projected Bullpen
Fernando Rodney (Closer)
Jordan Walden (RH)
Michael Kohn (RH)
Rich Thompson (RH)
Scott Downs (LH)
Kevin Jepsen (RH)
Hisanori Takahashi (LH)​

Grade: C ------------------ Unlike the starting rotation, there’s not much here to get excited about. Scott Downs was added to this unit in the off-season to stabilize a weak bullpen, but starting the year on the DL won’t help improve things much in Anaheim. Jordan Walden and Kevin Jepsen have good arms, but are young and unreliable. Unless they take a great leap forward this year, the bullpen will be the weak link for an otherwise solid team.

Projected Lineup
Maicer Izturis (3B)
Torii Hunter (RF)
Bobby Abreu (DH)
Vernon Wells (LF)
Howie Kendrick (2B)
Mark Trumbo (1B)
Erick Aybar (SS)
Bobby Wilson C
Peter Bourjos (CF)​

Grade: C -------------------This lineup has a lot of proven performers, but a lot of age. Torii Hunter, Bobby Abreu and the newly added Vernon Wells give the middle of the lineup stability. Yet, this team desperately needs the return of Kendrys Morales from his injuries to make a serious run for the division. They will also need production from their young first baseman Mark Trumbo who has the potential to be a consistent power hitter. Yet, there are too many holes in this lineup for them to be a serious contender for the AL West championship.

Manager: Mike Scioscia​

Grade: A --------------------- One of the best in the business. He is a master at keeping a team motivated and moving forward, even in the midst of turmoil, and as a long-time catcher, his feel for handling a pitching staff is as good as anyone in the game. I go back and forward with Scioscia and Francona as to who is the best in the American League, but all things considered, there’s no one better on the bench than Mike Scioscia.

Summary: --------------------- Despite one of the best starting rotations in the American League, the Angels don’t have enough elsewhere to contend with Texas and Oakland. Their bullpen is lackluster, and their lineup is questionable with its best hitter starting the year on the DL coming off a surgically-repaired broken ankle. A lot of things have to fall into place for the Angels to compete this year.

OAKLAND ATHLETICS

55539743.jpg

Projected Rotation
Gio Gonzalez (LH)
Brandon McCarthy (RH)
Dallas Braden (LH)
Trevor Cahill (RH)
Brett Anderson (LH)
Rich Harden (RH)​

Grade: A ---------------- The A’s have one of the best young staffs in the game right now, and if any of the top four have breakout seasons, they have the potential to have one of the best staffs in all of baseball. Gio Gonzalez has 20-game winning potential, and should be the anchor for the staff, with Braden, Cahill and Anderson falling not far behind. Brandon McCarthy, though inconsistent, has the talent to be a solid contributor to what should be an excellent starting staff.

Projected Bullpen
Andrew Bailey (Closer)
Craig Breslow (LH)
Grant Balfour (RH)
Brian Fuentes (LH)
Michael Wuertz (RH)
Tyson Ross (RH)

Grade: B ----------------- Much like their starting rotation, the A’s bullpen is filled with youth and talent. They have two legitimate closers in Andrew Bailey and Brian Fuentes, and there’s little in the way of filler here with every man being able to contribute consistently.

Projected Lineup
Coco Crisp (CF)
Daric Barton (1B)
David DeJesus (RF)
Josh Willingham (LF)
Hideki Matsui (DH)
Kurt Suzuki C
Kevin Kouzmanoff (3B)
Mark Ellis (2B)
Cliff Pennington (SS)​

Grade: C -------------------- Here’s the fly in the ointment for the A’s. Where will the run production come from? The addition of Godzilla Matsui in the DH spot should help, but there are a lot of holes in this lineup. Coco Crisp is a capable presence at the top of the order, but he can’t be counted on to stay healthy. Josh Willingham will also add more production, but all in all, this is not a lineup that will strike fear in too many opponents. Yet, if they can find a way to get substantial improvement from the middle of the order, the A’s have enough pitching to challenge Texas for the division crown.

Manager: Bob Geren​

Grade: C- ----------------- While he's not a train wreck, Bob Geren is not one of the better managers in the league. Yet, the GM Billy Beane is no dummy, and he has stuck with Geren for four seasons. There must be a reason for the confidence, though it escapes me at the moment.

Summary: The A’s pitching in both the starting rotation and the bullpen is talented and deep. If this team can find a way to manufacture consistent run production, they may have enough to dethrone the Rangers.

SEATTLE MARINERS

seattlemariners.jpg

Projected Rotation
Felix Hernandez (RH)
Jason Vargas (LH)
Erik Bedard (LH)
Michael Pineda (RH)
Doug Fister (RH)​

Grade: C- -------------------- Felix Hernandez is as good as there is in major league baseball. The defending AL Cy Young Award winner is the real deal, and has been ever since he came up in 2006. Even at 13-12 last year, he was clearly the best starter in the league. With a legitimate major-league offense providing him with any kind of run support, he could easily be a 25+ game winner. Other than King Felix, there’s not much else in this group. Erik Bedard has his moments, but his health won’t allow him to be consistently good. Jason Vargas, though terribly inconsistent, has talent, and could lend a hand here. If Bedard isn’t healthy enough to back up Hernandez, however, things could get ugly fast in Seattle.

Projected Bullpen
David Aardsma (Closer)
Brandon League (RH)
Chris Ray (RH)
David Pauley (RH)
Jamey Wright (RH)
Luke French (LH)
Aaron Laffey (LH)​

Grade: D ------------------- At it’s best, there’s not a lot of talent here, but considering that several members of this group are either hurt now or recovering from recent injuries leads one to believe that there won’t be many quality performances coming from this bullpen. The fact that David Aardsma is the closer is reason enough to fear the worst. Brandon League is the only other reliever with any quality in this unit.

Projected Lineup
Ichiro Suzuki (RF)
Chone Figgins (3B)
Milton Bradley (LF)
Jack Cust (DH)
Justin Smoak (1B)
Franklin Gutierrez (CF)
Miguel Olivo C
Brendan Ryan (SS)
Jack Wilson (2B)​

Grade: D --------------- This lineup sucks. The Mariners are depending on home run -or-nothing Jack Cust and Justin Smoak for run production. Good luck. I don’t even include Milton Bradley in the picture because with all of his talent, he’s psychotic and will find a way to mentally implode during the season and bring his team down with him. Chone Figgins has been a bust since coming in from the Angels, and has got to show more guts than what he’s displayed so far. There’s actually some talent here in Franklin Gutierrez and Brendan Ryan, who are both better defenders than hitters, and with future Hall-of-Famer Ichiro Suzuki leading off, there’s at least something here of interest. Yet, there won’t be much in the way of consistent run production from this lineup of crap.

Manager: Eric Wedge​

Grade: B --------------- Eric Wedge is a pretty good leader, and has been since he got the job in Cleveland several years ago. He just doesn’t have much talent to work with in Seattle.

Summary: As beautiful a ballpark as it is, Safeco Field will be filled with a whole lot of ugliness this year with this edition of the Mariners. Other than Felix Hernandez, the legendary Ichiro, and the beauty of Safeco Field, there won’t be much to keep fans interested in Seattle this season. It will take a monumental effort for this team to fight its way out of last place.

TEXAS RANGERS

texasrangers.jpg

Projected Rotation
Derek Holland (LH)
Colby Lewis (RH)
Matt Harrison (LH)
C.J. Wilson (LH)
Tommy Hunter (RH)​

Grade: B The Rangers dropped the ball in not closing the deal on keeping Cliff Lee in the fold, and now have to place some of their hopes on a return to form of the talented but always injured Brandon Webb. They also have to replace Tommy Hunter who will open the year on the DL C.J. Wilson will have to improve his performance this year, since he will most likely be considered the staff “ace.”

Projected Bullpen
Neftali Feliz (Closer)
Darren O’Day (RH)
Darren Oliver (LH)
Arthur Rhodes (LH)
BretTomko (RH)
Mark Lowe RH)
Alexi Ogando (RH)​

Grade: B ----------------- This group is a mixed bag. There are some outstanding, but unreliable young arms here like Alexi Ogando who can consistently hit the high 90's with his fastball. And there are solid, but injured returners like Mark Lowe who’s coming off an injured back. Another danger for this bullpen is that two of the main performers will be Darren Oliver and Arthur Rhodes, both of whom are proven, reliable pros, but are each about 150 years old. It is because of the uncertainty of this group that AL Rookie of the Year Neftali Feliz was kept in the closer role instead of moving to the starting rotation. This bullpen, while not outstanding, should be decent.

Projected Lineup
Ian Kinsler (2B)
Elvis Andrus (SS)
Josh Hamilton (LF)
Adrian Beltre (3B)
Nelson Cruz (RF)
Michael Young (DH)
Mitch Moreland (1B)
Yorvit Torrealba C
Julio Borbon (CF)​

Grade: A ---------------- Like Ranger lineups of most seasons, this one will knock the cover off a lot of baseballs and should prove to be one of the best in the league. There’s not much weakness in this bunch, and a ton of runs should be scored. Two things to watch, however, will be Michael Young and how he responds to the ugly in-fighting he’s involved in with Ranger management, and Adrian Beltre who is one of the best players in all of baseball when he’s in the final year of a contract, but finds a way to disappear once the money is in the bank. Now that he’s scored another big payday, it will be interesting to see if he answers the bell like he’s capable of doing.

Manager: Ron Washington

Grade: A---------------Wash has always been a solid leader, ever since he was a coach with Oakland. Players respond to him, and he keeps the atmosphere calm, allowing his players to perform at their peak consistently. He guided the team through a pressure-filled season, and led them to their first World Series, and was able to keep the team on an even footing, even after his own drug use allegations were brought to light.

Summary: As always, the key to this team will be pitching. After losing Cliff Lee, this team must get solid production from C.J. Wilson in the starting rotation and from Neftali Feliz in the bullpen. They will need it to compete with the great staff in Oakland. It will most likely be a race to the finish between the Rangers and the A’s for the West.

2011 AMERICAN LEAGUE WEST PREDICTION
1st - Oakland Athletics
2nd - Texas Rangers
3rd - Los Angeles Angels
4th - Seattle Mariners​

Next Up: American League Central​

Rezn8

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
2011 AMERICAN LEAGUE CENTRAL PREDICTIONS

CHICAGO WHITE SOX

chicagowhitesoxm.jpg

Projected Rotation
Gavin Floyd (RH)
John Danks (LH)
Edwin Jackson (RH)
Mark Buehrle (LH)
Jake Peavy (RH)​

Grade: A ---------------- If it were only the top four pitchers, they would be one of the strongest units in the American League, but if Jake Peavy can return to his pre-injury form, this could be one of the top three rotations in all the major leagues. There’s not a weak link in this staff, and each pitcher is capable of winning 15-20 games and eating up 180-200 quality innings. The two keys to the staff are the health of Jake Peavy and the start to the season for Gavin Floyd. After undergoing a groundbreaking surgery that few pitchers have been faced with, Peavy, who wasn’t expected back until the second half of the season is now scheduled to start the season as the fifth starter after an excellent spring. Gavin Floyd, who doesn’t catch fire until June, needs to find his way from the beginning of the season. If he does and Peavy’s comeback is real, the White Sox should compete with the Red Sox for the American League pennant.

Projected Bullpen
Matt Thornton (Closer)
Chris Sale (LH)
Tony Pena (RH)
Sergio Santos (RH)
Will Ohman (LH)
Jesse Crain (RH)​

Grade: B ------------------- The Sox bullpen is filled with power arms, each with an ability to rush 98+ mph fastballs to the plate with regularity. Let by All-Star Matt Thornton who will replace Bobby Jenks as closer, the Sox bullpen is deep, talented, and young with Chris Sale (who can also start or close) and Sergio Santos, in his second year of full-time pitching after moving from his status as an everyday player. Tony Pena was excellent in middle relief last year, and will be counted on to repeat his performance. The only thing holding this group back from the top of the heap is their youth. Yet, if all hands produce as expected, this should be one of the top three bullpens in the American League.

Projected Lineup
Juan Pierre (LF)
Alexei Ramirez (SS)
Alex Rios (CF)
Adam Dunn (DH)
Paul Konerko (1B)
Carlos Quentin (RF)
Gordon Beckham (2B)
A.J. Pierzinski C
Brent Morel (3B)​

Grade: A --------------------- If health holds out, this should be one of the top five offenses in all of baseball. Going into the off-season, GM Kenny Williams’ main goal was to find an elite DH to replace team captain Paul Konerko, who was expected to move on, taking his .300 average, 40 home runs and 100+ RBI’s with him. He succeeded in signing 40 HR, 110 RBI per year man Adam Dunn to fill the DH role, Hitting in the most home run friendly ballpark in the major leagues, Dunn may approach the 50 home run mark this year. But, along with acquiring Dunn, Williams was somehow also able to retain Konerko, giving the White Sox arguably the most devastating power combination in all of baseball. With Alexie Ramirez quickly becoming the best shortstop in the American League, and Gordon Beckham who should return to the hitting of his rookie year, this offense will be explosive and hard to shut down for very long.

Manager: Ozzie Guillen​

Grade: A ---------------------- He’s known to many around the country as a wild, profane, and sometimes crazy source of comedy. While he is profane and funny, Ozzie Guillen has also become one of the 5 or 6 best managers in all of baseball. No one is better at controlling a locker room, motivating a team, holding players accountable, and taking pressure off of his players than Guillen, He learned his craft from some of the best managers in the game, including Tony Larussa, Bobby Cox, and Jeff Torberg, and he’s melded their knowledge into his own style. He’s bold, competitive, aggressive, and no one has a greater knowledge of the ins and outs of the game than he does, and he is just below the Scioscias, Franconas, and Larussas on the list of baseball’s elite managers. His only flaw has been his desire to shape the White Sox into a speed-oriented, National League-style offense, which is all wrong for the homer-friendly dimensions of U.S. Cellular Field. Yet, he is one of the most valuable parts of the White Sox whole, and he is the perfect manager for this team.

Summary: All the pieces are in place for the White Sox to make a run at the American League pennant. Yet, their main goal is to find a way to get past the Minnesota Twins, a team that has had their number for more than 10 years now. If this team is blessed with relatively good health, and the return of Jake Peavy continues to be successful, the White Sox should be a major contender, along with Boston and New York, for the 2011 American League championship.

CLEVELAND INDIANS

clevelandindians.jpg

Projected Rotation
Fausto Carmona (RH)
Carlos Carrasco (RH)
Mitch Talbot (RH)
Josh Tomlin (RH)
Justin Masterson (RH)​

Grade: C- ------------------ Fausto Carmona made the All-Star team last year, and will be the anchor for this year’s staff. Yet, he has yet to approach the level he’d reached in 2007 when he and C.C. Sabathia came within a hair of taking the Indians to the World Series. He will have to regain the dominant stuff he had several years ago if the Indians expect to escape the AL Central cellar. Mitch Talbot is returning from a rookie year when he displayed occasional stretches of brilliance. The Indians also hope that Carlos Carrasco, a highly talented young pitcher who has failed to put it all together suddenly finds his way. As the primary compensation in the Cliff Lee trade to Philadelphia, he needs to produce at a level approximate to his talent.

Projected Bullpen
Chris Perez (Closer)
Chad Durbin (RH)
Rafael Perez (LH)
Justin Germano (RH)
Tony Sipp (LH)​

Grade: C --------------- Closer Chris Perez waa effective during the second half of last year, and should do well with a full year as the outright closer. Justin Germano and Tony Sipp pitched well at times last year, but there’s not a lot of quality here overall.

Projected Lineup
Asdrubal Cabrera (SS)
Orlando Cabrera (2B)
Shin-Soo Choo (RF)
Carlos Santana C
Travis Hafner (DH)
Austin Kearns (LF)
Matt Laporta (1B)
Jayson Nix (3B)
Michael Brantley (CF)

Grade: C ---------------- There’s actually some talent here. Shin-Soo Choo led the team in offensive production last year, and has All-Star talent. Matt Laporta came in the C.C. Sabathia deal, and has the ability to be a major contributor. Ultimately, this teams needs the healthy return of its star, Grady Sizemore. When healthy, Sizemore is one of the game’s all-around best players, and the Indians won’t go far without him.

Manager: Manny Acta​

Grade: C -------------- Manny Acta is still a developing manager with a good deal of potential. His strengths are in working with young, developing teams and communications with players, particularly Hispanic players. But, the jury is still out on his managerial quality.

Summary: The Indians aren’t as bad a team as their 2010 record shows. They are a team that has been ravaged by both injuries and small market economics. With strong showings from Fauston Carmona, Carlos Carrasco and their starters, and with a healthy return by Grady Sizemore later in the year, the Indians have a chance to at least be respectable. They will not have enough to be competitive in a meat-grinder of an American League Central, however.

DETROIT TIGERS

detroittigers.jpg

Projected Rotation
Justin Verlander (RH)
Brad Penny (RH)
Rick Porcello (RH)
Phil Coke (LH)
Max Scherzer (RH)​

Grade: B+ ------------------ The 1-2 combination of Justin Verlander and Max Scherzer will be hard to top and will keep the Tigers in most games they’re in. Brad Penny and Rick Porcello will add depth to a solid staff.

Projected Bullpen
Jose Valverde (Closer)
Joaquin Benoit (RH)
Daniel Schlereth (LH)
Adam Wilk (LH)
Ryan Perry (RH)
Brad Thomas (LH)
Joel Zamaya (LH)​

Grade: A ------------------ The Tiger bullpen is loaded with young talent with overpowering stuff. With Valverde closing and Benoit leading up to him, their late-inning relief will be some of the best in all of baseball. If Joel Zamaya can return to health and regain some of his pre-injury form, the Tiger bullpen could be one of the best in all of baseball.

Projected Lineup
1. Austin Jackson (CF)
2. Will Rhymes (2B)
3. Magglio Ordonez (RF)
4. Miguel Cabrera
5. Victor Martinez (DH)
6. Ryan Raburn (LF)
7. Jhonny Peralta (SS)
8. Brandon Inge (3B)
9. Alex Avila C​

Grade: B ----------------- The Detroit lineup that will start the season is excellent, and will be even better when Carlos Guillen returns to the team in late spring. The lineup got a boost with the addition of Victor Martinez who will also share catching duties with Alex Avila. The two keys to the Tiger offense, however, are Austin Jackson and Miguel Cabrera. Jackson is one of the best young all-around players in baseball, and should continue to shine at the leadoff position. Yet, the Tiger offense hinges on Cabrera. While his numbers have been excellent, the serious issues that plague his life off the field raise the question of how good this guy could really be. Miguel Cabrera has the talent to be, flat out, the best hitter in all of baseball, and he probably should be. Yet, his demons stop him from reaching the limits of his potential. It will continue to bear watching whether his problems with alcohol will affect his overall conditioning, and his hitting during the year.

Manager: Jim Leyland​

Grade: A -------------------- An all-time great, and one of the best to sit on the bench. Nothing more needs to be said.

Summary: --------------------The Tigers will be strong this year, and if health permits, should be in the AL Central race until late in the year. Their starting pitching and overall team depth, however, while good, doesn’t stack up to Chicago and Minnesota, which will leave them on the outside looking in come October.

KANSAS CITY ROYALS

kansascityroyals.jpg

Projected Rotation
Jeff Francis (LH)
Kyle Davies (RH)
Bruce Chen (LH)
Luke Hochevar (RH)
Vin Mazzaro (RH)​

Grade: C- ------------- Certain things have to fall into place just so for the Royals to be competitive this year. Jeff Francis must show that he’s fully healed from the shoulder injuries that robbed him of his winning days in Colorado. Luke Hochevar has talent, and needs to take a great leap forward this year. Overall, the Royals won’t have much, and will feel the loss of Zack Greinke very deeply.

Projected Bullpen
Joakim Soria (Closer)
Robinson Tejada (RH)
Luis Mendoza (RH)
Jeremy Jeffress (RH)​

Grade: B --------------The Royals best pitching talent resides in their bullpen. Joakim Soria is an All-Star and one of the best closers in baseball. Robinson Tehada and Jeremy Jeffress, both of whom have power arms that can rush fastballs to the plate at a nearly 100 mph clip, should be good. The rest of the unit will consist of young, unproven talent that I frankly haven’t seen as yet.

Projected Lineup
Mike Aviles (3B)
Chris Getz (2B)
Billy Butler (DH)
Kila Ka’aihue
Melky Cabrera (CF)
Jeff Francoeur (RF)
Alex Gordon (LF)
Brayan Pena C
Alcides Escobar (SS)​

Grade: C- ------------------ While this is not a lineup devoid of talent, it obviously won’t get the job done in a league filled with some of the most devastating lineups in the game. This team must get big years from Jeff Francoeur, Melky Cabrera, and Alex Gordon if they have a chance to be respectable. Neither player had much of a 2010, but with their talent, bounce backs should be expected.

Manager: Ned Yost​

Grade: B ------------ Ned Yost is a solid veteran manager who has had success at Milwaukee. He is a solid communicator and handles a pitching staff well. He just doesn’t have much in the way of talent to work with yet in Kansas City.

Summary: ------------- Given the current economics of baseball, it’s a shame what has happened to once great franchises like Pittsburgh and Kansas City. Yet, the reality is that it’s hard for these teams to keep talent and to compete on a regular basis. This year will be another long one in Kansas City. The good news is that with the Zack Greinke trade and the earlier trade of David Dejesus, the Royals have amassed one of the highest-rated crops of young talent in years. Yet, when they are ready to perform at the big league level, the question in Kansas City will be, as always, "can we afford to keep them?"

MINNESOTA TWINS

minnesotatwins.jpg

Projected Rotation
Carl Pavano (RH)
Francisco Liriano (LH)
Nick Blackburn (RH)
Brian Duensing (LH)
Scott Baker(RH)​

Grade: B ----------------- The Twins got great years from Carl Pavano and Francisco Liriano last year. In the case of Pavano, I can’t see him repeating his performance of 2010, and Liriano started 2011 with an injury. When he’s healthy, Liriano has some of the filthiest stuff in baseball and can be virtually impossible to hit. But his health will always be an issue.

Projected Bullpen
Joe Nathan (Closer)
Matt Capps (RH)
Kevin Slowey (RH)
Jose Mijares (LH)
Alex Burnett (RH)
Carlos Gutierrez (RH)​

Grade: C ------------- The Twins lost a LOT of talent from their bullpen of last year, and the only reliable quality in this year’s group will be set-up man Matt Capps and former starter Kevin Slowey. The biggest question mark for the bullpen, and one of the biggest question marks for the American League will be how Joe Nathan comes back from missing the 2010 season. Before his injury, Nathan was arguably the best reliever in major league baseball, on par with Mariano Rivera and pre-2010 Jonathan Papelbon. All eyes will be on Nathan and his return from Tommy John surgery, and at 36, there are no promises he will return to his former dominance.

Projected Lineup
Denard Span (CF)
Tsuyoshi Nishioka (2B)
Joe Mauer C
Justin Morneau (1B)
Delmon Young (LF)
Jason Kubel (DH)
Michael Cuddyer (RF)
Danny Valencia (3B)
Alexi Casilla (SS)​

Grade: B ----------------- Much like other areas of this team, the lineup has a number of huge question marks. The main concern centers around the all-world combination of Joe Mauer and Justin Morneau, the two perennial MVP candidates who both have questionable health issues. Morneau has still shown signs of negative effects from the concussion that cost him the bulk of 2010, and Mauer has fought injuries to his knee this spring. Needless to say, the Twins fortunes largely rest on the health of these two superstars. Yet, there are plenty of other talent sources on this team. Denard Span, Delmon Young, Michael Cuddyer and Jason Kubel are all solid performers, and there’s always the big bat of Jim Thome available in a pinch.

Manager: Ron Gardenhire​

Grade: A -------------- Ron Gardenhire is one of a handful of the best managers in the game today. His presence, along with that of Jim Leyland in Detroit and Ozzie Guillen in Chicago, is one of the factors that make the AL Central one of the most entertaining divisions in baseball - and one of the best.

Summary: -------------- With Ron Gardenhire managing, and with the way this group plays as a team, the Twins will be in the race for the AL Central crown until the end, in spite of all the question marks surrounding them. Yet, unless all hands are on deck physically, and the starting staff stays healthy and performs at peak efficiency, the Twins may have a difficult time holding off the White Sox come this fall.

2011 AMERICAN LEAGUE CENTRAL PREDICTION
1st - Chicago White Sox
2nd - Minnesota Twins
3rd - Detroit Tigers
4th - Cleveland Indians
5th - Kansas City Royals

Let the games begin, and good luck to all of your teams!!!​

Rezn8

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
LET'S GO TO THE BALLPARK!!!

NATIONAL LEAGUE​

ARIZONA DIAMONDBACKS

CHASE FIELD (Phoenix, AZ)
Formerly Called: Bank One Ballpark
Year Opened: 1998​

chasefieldc.jpg

chasefieldd.jpg

chasefieldf.jpg

ATLANTA BRAVES

TURNER FIELD (Atlanta, GA)

Formerly Called: Centennial Olympic Stadium
Year Opened: 1996​

turnerfielda.jpg

turnerfieldc.jpg

turnerfieldb.jpg

CINCINNATI REDS

GREAT AMERICAN BALLPARK (Cincinnati, OH)​
Year Opened: 2003​

greatamericanballpark.jpg

greatamericanballparkc.jpg

greatamericanballparkb.jpg

COLORADO ROCKIES

COORS FIELD (Denver, CO)
Year Opened: 1995

coorsfielda.jpg

coorsfieldb.jpg

coorsfieldc.jpg

coorsfieldd.jpg

FLORIDA MARLINS
DOLPHIN STADIUM (Miami, FL)
Formerly Called: Pro Player Stadium; Joe Robbie Stadium
Year Opened: 1987

dolphinstadiuma.jpg

dolphinstadiumb.jpg

dolphinstadiumc.jpg

dolphinstadiumd.jpg

HOUSTON ASTROS

MINUTE MAID PARK (Houston, TX)
Formerly Called: Enron Field
Year Opened: 2000

minutemaidparkb.jpg

minutemaidparkd.jpg

minutemaidparkc.jpg

minutemaidpark.jpg

MILWAUKEE BREWERS
MILLER PARK (Milwaukee, WI)
Year Opened: 2001

millerpark.jpg

millerparkb.jpg

millerparkd.jpg

millerparkc.jpg

NEW YORK METS

CITI FIELD (Flushing-Queens, NY)
Year Opened: 2009

citifielda.jpg

citifieldb.jpg

citifieldd.jpg

citifieldc.jpg

PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES

CITIZENS BANK PARK (Philadelphia, PA)
Year Opened: 2004

citizensbankparka.jpg

citizensbankparkcs.jpg

citizensbankparkb.jpg

PITTSBURGH PIRATES

PNC PARK (Pittsburgh, PA)
Year Opened: 2001

pncparkc.jpg

pncparkb.jpg

pncparka.jpg

SAN DIEGO PADRES

PETCO PARK (San Diego, CA)
Year Opened: 2004

petcoparkc.jpg

petcoparka.png

petcoparkd.jpg

petcoparkb.jpg

SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS

AT&T PARK (San Francisco, CA)
Formerly Called: Pac-Bell Park; SBC Park

attparksanfrancisco.jpg

attparkf.jpg

attparksanfranciscob.jpg

attparke.jpg

ST. LOUIS CARDINALS

BUSCH STADIUM (St. Louis, MO)
Year Opened: 2006

buschstadiuma.jpg

buschstadiumd.jpg

buschstadiumb.jpg

buschstadiumc.jpg

WASHINGTON NATIONALS

NATIONALS PARK (Washington, DC)
Year Opened: 2008

nationalsparka.jpg

nationalsparkb.jpg

nationalsparkc.jpg

Rezn8

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

AMERICAN LEAGUE

BALTIMORE ORIOLES

ORIOLE PARK AT CAMDEN YARDS (Baltimore, MD)
Year Opened: 1992

orioleparkatcamdenyards.jpg

CHICAGO WHITE SOX

U.S. CELLULAR FIELD (Chicago, IL)
Formerly Called: Comiskey Park II
Year Opened: 1991​

uscellularfielda.jpg

uscellularfieldd.jpg

uscellularfielde.jpg

CLEVELAND INDIANS

PROGRESSIVE FIELD (Cleveland, OH)
Formerly Called: Jacobs Field
Year Opened: 1994

progressivefielda.jpg

progressivefieldb.jpg

DETROIT TIGERS

COMERICA PARK (Detroit, MI)

comericapark.jpg

comericaparkb.jpg

KANSAS CITY ROYALS

KAUFFMAN STADIUM (Kansas City, MO)
Formerly Called: Royals Stadium
Year Opened: 1973

kaufmannstadiumb.jpg

kaufmannstadiuma.jpg

LOS ANGELES ANGELS

ANGEL STADIUM (Anaheim, CA)
Formerly Called: Edison Field; Anaheim Stadium
Year Opened: 1966

angelstadiuma.jpg

angelstadiumb.jpg

angelstadiumc.jpg

MINNESOTA TWINS

TARGET FIELD (Minneapolis, MN)
Year Opened: 2010

targetfielda.jpg

targetfieldb.jpg
[/CENTER]

NEW YORK YANKEES

YANKEE STADIUM II (Bronx, NY)
Year Opened: 2009​

yankeestadiuma.jpg

yankeestadiumb.jpg

OAKLAND ATHLETICS

OAKLAND COLISEUM (Oakland, CA)
Formerly Called: McAfee Coliseum; Network Associates Coliseum
Year Opened: 1968

oaklandcoliseuma.jpg

oaklandcoliseumb.jpg

SEATTLE MARINERS

SAFECO FIELD (Seattle, WA)
Year Opened: 1999

safecofielda.jpg

safecofieldc.jpg

safecofieldb.jpg

TAMPA BAY RAYS

TROPICANA FIELD (St. Petersburg, FL)
Formerly Called: Thunderdome; Sun Coast Dome
Year Opened: 1998

tropicanafielda.jpg

tropicanafieldb.jpg

TEXAS RANGERS

RANGERS BALLPARK IN ARLINGTON iArlington, TX)
Formerly Called: Ameriquest Field; The Ballpark in Arlington
Year Opened: 1994​

rangersballparkc.jpg

rangerballparka.jpg

TORONTO BLUE JAYS

ROGERS CENTRE (Toronto, Ontario)
Formerly Called: Skydome
Year Opened: 1989

rogerscentrea.jpg

rogerscentreb.jpg

Rezn8

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The Classics

STILL ALIVE 'N' KICKIN'

DODGER STADIUM (Los Angeles, CA)
Year Opened: 1962
Home To: Los Angeles Dodgers​

dodgerstadium.jpg

dodgerstadiumb.jpg

dodgerstadiumd.jpg

dodgerstadiumc.jpg

FENWAY PARK (Boston, MA)
Year Opened: 1912
Home To: Boston Red Sox (1912-Present)
Boston Patriots (American Football League) (1967-1970)

fenwayparkd.jpg

fenwayparkc.jpg

WRIGLEY FIELD (Chicago, IL)
Formerly Called: Weegham Park; Cubs Park
Year Opened: 1914
Home To: Chicago Cubs (1914-Present);
Chicago Bears (1921-1970)

wrigleyfielda.jpg

wrigleyfieldb.jpg

wrigleyfieldd.jpg

GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

YANKEE STADIUM (Bronx, NY)
Years in Operation: 1923-2008
Demolished: 2009
Home To: New York Yankees (1923-2008)
New York Giants (NFL) (1956-1973
)​

yankeestadiumf.jpg

yankeestadiumc.jpg

yankeestadiumd.jpg

yankeestadiumb.jpg

SHIBE PARK / CONNIE MACK STADIUM (Philadelphia, PA)
Years in Operation: 1909-1970
Demolished: 1976
Home To: Philadelphia Athletics (AL) 1909-1954
Philadelphia Phillies (NL) 1909-1970
Philadelphia Eagles (NFL) 1940-1958

conniemackstadiumc.jpg

conniemackstadiumb.jpg

conniemackstadiuma.jpg

EBBETS FIELD (Brooklyn, NY)
Years in Operation: 1913-1957
Demolished: 1960
Home To: Brooklyn Dodgers

ebbetsfielda.jpg

ebbetsfieldd.jpg

ebbetsfieldc.jpg

ebbetsfieldb.jpg

THE POLO GROUNDS (Harlem, NY)
Years in Operation: 1911-1963
Demolished: 1964
Home To: New York Giants (NL) 1911-1957
New York Mets: 1962-1963
New York Giants (NFL) 1925-1955
New York Titans (Jets) (American Football League (1960-1963)

thepologroundsa.jpg

thepologroundsd.jpg

thepologroundsb.png

thepologroundsc.jpg

TIGER STADIUM (Detroit, MI)
Formerly Called: Navin Field; Briggs Stadium
Years in Operation: 1912-1999
Demolished: 2009
Home To: Detroit Tigers (1912-1999)
Detroit Lions (NFL) (1938-1974)

tigerstadiumc.jpg

tigerstadiumd.jpg

tigerstadiumf.jpg

COMISKEY PARK (Chicago, IL)
Formerly Called: White Sox Park
Years in Operation: 1910-1990
Demolished: 1991
Home To: Chicago White Sox (1910-1990)
Chicago Cardinals (NFL) (1922-1959)

comiskeyparkc.jpg

comiskeyparkd.jpg

comiskeyparkb.jpg

SPORTSMAN'S PARK (St. Louis, MO)
Later Known As: Busch Stadium (1st Edition)
Years In Operation: 1881-1966
Demolished: 1966
Home To: The St. Louis Cardinals (NL) (1892-1966)
St. Louis Browns (AL) (1898-1953)

sparka.jpg

sparkc.jpg

sparkb.jpg

FORBES FIELD (Pittsburgh, PA)
Years in Operation: 1909-1970
Demolished: 1971
Home To: Pittsburgh Pirates: (1909-1970)

forbesfieldc.jpg

forbesfielda.jpg

forbesfieldb.jpg

forbesfieldd.jpg

Last edited:

Duece

Get your shit together
BGOL Investor
It's funny to watch HBCU baseball and see teams more integrated than the Majors

Shurnuff

5 More Years Bitches!!
OG Investor
Great post of MLB ballparks both past and present!!!!
But you gotta add the video of Reggie Jackson over the roof classic homer at the old Tiger stadium!!!!!!

:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

Last edited:

Rezn8

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
BASEBALL'S AFRICAN-AMERICAN HERITAGE

THE EARLY YEARS

Given the current state of affairs, you'd think that baseball has always been a non-factor for us. Yet, baseball has been a HUGE part of African-American culture during our history in this country. With the possible exception of boxing, no American sport has roots that run as deep in the Black community as baseball. Here is a brief reminder of the importance baseball once held in our community.

THE FIRST MAJOR LEAGUER

MosesFleetwoodWalker.jpg

63 years before Jackie Robinson's debut with the Brooklyn Dodgers, Moses Fleetwood Walker (1852-1924), a brilliant intellectual who graduated from Oberlin College and the University of Michigan School of Law, also became the first African-American major league player when he debuted with the Toledo Blue Stockings of the American Association, the preeminent baseball league in the country during the 1880's and a precursor to the National and American leagues we know today. Walker, and his brother Welday, were the only African-American major leaguers to cross the color line before the permanent ban on black players began in 1898.

THE NEGRO LEAGUES (1920-1958)

East-WestAll-Stars.jpg

Not a group to be easily stopped by rhe rules of the time, African-Americans responded to Major League Baseball's ban on black players by forming their own professional leagues. While there were a number of various leagues, including the American Negro League, the Eastern Colored League, and the West Coast Professional Baseball League, the two leagues that were consistently considered the "major leagues" of Negro baseball were the Negro National League (two editions) and the Negro American League.

THE NEGRO NATIONAL LEAGUE I (1920-1931)

RubeFoster-b.jpg
RUBE FOSTER

The first sustained, financially-solid Negro major league was the original Negro National League, founded in 1920 by former pitcher Andrew "Rube" Foster (1879-1930). Over the course of 12 seasons, the league featured 24 teams in cities such as Chicago, Cleveland, Columbus, OH, Kansas City, Dayton, OH, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Louisville, Toledo and Nashville. As was the case with each negro baseball league, financial instability was a constant reality, and some teams lasted as long as seven or eight seasons, others lasted only one, but the league’s most successful franchises were Foster’s own Chicago American Giants, and the Kansas City Monarchs who won nine of the league’s twelve championships. Rube Foster was elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1981.

THE NEGRO NATIONAL LEAGUE II (1933-1948)

The second edition of the Negro National League came into being in 1933. Unlike its predecessor, the reincarnated Negro National League featured teams almost exclusively from Midwestern and Eastern cities, including Baltimore, Chicago, Indianapolis, Detroit, Atlantic City, Newark, Philadelphia, New York City, and St. Louis. Important teams of the second Negro National League included the Pittsburgh Crawfords, the Baltimore Elite Giants, the Newark Eagles, the Detroit Stars, The Indianapolis ABC’s, and the Homestead Grays.

THE NEGRO AMERICAN LEAGUE (1937-1958)

The Negro American League brought together teams from the South and the Midwest, essentially taking over the territory once held by the original Negro National League. The Negro American League was also the last of the major Negro Leagues to remain in operation. The leading franchises of the Negro American league were the Kansas City Monarchs, the Chicago American Giants, the Birmingham Black Barons, the Indianapolis Clowns, and the Memphis Red Sox.

During its heyday, Negro League Baseball was, arguably, the most profitable Black business operation in the entire country, and an institution of African-American culture from the 1920's through the 1940's. A number of fascinating characters were responsible for the Negro League’s success, including the following:

EXECUTIVES

GusGreenlee.jpg
GUS GREENLEE

In the early 1930's the country was in the depths of the Great Depression, and as usual, the Black community was hit harder than virtually any other group. The Negro Leagues fared no better than the rest of the population, and the original Negro National League ceased operations in 1931. Yet, during the Depression, everyone didn’t have to cry poor. Other than the country’s ruling elite, another subgroup of the American population who thrived economically were the leading members of the underworld. One member of this infamous, but fortunate subgroup resided in Pittsburgh, PA in the person of businessman and Pittsburgh numbers kingpin William Augustus “Gus” Greenlee. The North Carolina-born bootlegger, who also owned Pittsburgh’s most popular Black nightclub The Crawford Bar and Grill, used some of his wealth to establish a second version of the Negro National League, which coincidently, would feature his own team that he named after his nightclub the Pittsburgh Crawfords. For much of its existence, the second Negro National League’s primary figure was Greenlee, who not only served as league president, but also used some of his profits to build America’s first Black-owned baseball stadium Greenlee Field. As a team owner and a George Steinbrenner-like figure of his day, he was able to stock his team with the best talent that Negro League Baseball had to offer. His 1935 Crawfords team would field five future Hall-of-Famers - Oscar Charleston, Judy Johnson, Josh Gibson, Cool Papa Bell and Satchel Paige - win a league championship, and go down as the greatest Negro League team ever, and one of the greatest teams in all of baseball history. Greenlee left the baseball business in 1938 after a huge numbers “hit” drained too many of his disposable dollars. After the Crawfords ceased operations, many of Greenlee’s players remained in Pittsburgh to play for the city’s other Negro league franchise the Homestead Grays, where they would proceed to win 8 more championships during the remainder of the league’s run which ended in 1948.

AbeEffaManley.jpg
ABE & EFFA MANLEY

Two of the most colorful Negro League owners of all time were Abe and Effa Manley, a husband-wife team who founded and managed the Newark Eagles of the second Negro National League. A Newark numbers boss (anyone see a pattern?) Abe Manley (1885-1952) purchased two struggling teams, the Newark Dodgers and the Brooklyn Eagles in 1935, consolidating the two teams into the Newark Eagles, which began play in the 1936 season. Once the team had been established, Manley turned team business operations over to his wife Effa (1900-1981). Effa Manley, who was born of white parentage, was raised by a black stepfather, and chose to live her life as a light-skinned black woman. A glamorous, outspoken and aggressive woman, Manley ran the Eagles from 1935 to 1948. A lifelong lover of baseball, she allegedly met her husband while attending the 1932 World Series at Yankee Stadium. The Manleys made an exceptional team, with Abe overseeing the well-being of team members, and Effa handling payroll management, contract negotiations, travel arrangements, marketing, and team promotion. Yet, this partnership did not exist without complications. According to knowledgeable observers, Effa had a tendency to REALLY like young Eagle players, and was known to have engaged in long-term affairs with several of her signees. Yet, despite her alleged dalliances, Effa Manley was a fierce fighter for Black civil rights as an officer of the Newark branch of the NAACP, organizing and leading a number of successful protests and boycotts throughout the New York City / Northern New Jersey area. Effa Manley’s excellence as a baseball executive was undeniable, and critical to the survival of the Negro Leagues. Her career was formally acknowledged in 2006, when she became the first and only woman ever to be inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame.

EffaManley-HOF.jpg

JLWilkinson.jpg
J. L. WILKINSON

J. L. Wilkinson (1878-1964) was the owner of the Kansas City Monarchs, one of the landmark franchises of Negro League Baseball. Under his leadership, the Monaarchs dominated two leagues, the original Negro National League, and later the Negro American League where they won seven league championships. J. L. Wilkinson was elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame in 2006.

CumberlandPosey-2.jpg
CUMBERLAND POSEY

After starting his career with the team as a player, Cumberland Posey (1880-1946) rose through the ranks of the Homestead Grays franchise, and eventually became the team’s owner, building it into one of the greatest franchises in Negro League history. Born in Homestead, PA, a small steel mill town adjoining Pittsburgh, Posey took over the Grays franchise in 1912 as a player-manager, and built the team into one of the Negro Leagues most stable and successful franchises, winning nine league championships during his reign. In 2006, Posey, along with fellow owners J. L. Wilkinson, Alex Pompez, and Effa Manley, was elected into the Baseball Hall of Fame.

AlejandroAlexPompez.jpg
ALEJANDRO "ALEX" POMPEZ

Alejandro “Alex” Pompez (1890-1974), was the owner of the Negro National League’s New York Cubans franchise, and the first baseball executive to bring talent from Latin America into big-time baseball. Like his contemporaries Abe Manley and Gus Greenlee, Alex Pompez’s financial background was established in the numbers racket. Born in Key West, FL to well-to-do Black Cuban parents, Pompez moved to Harlem in 1910, and by the 1920's he’d amassed a considerable fortune as one of Harlem’s most successful numbers bosses. While still raking in huge sums from the numbers racket, Pompez used some of his wealth to purchase the New York Cubans in 1916. In the early 1930's, however, Pompez and other Harlem numbers bosses were overpowered and eventually came under the control of violent mobster Dutch Schultz, who controlled much of the illegal liquor trade in Harlem during the days of Prohibition. In 1935 after Schultz, Lucky Luciano, and other New York organized crime bosses became targets of New York District Attorney Thomas Dewey’s war against the mob, Pompez was indicted along with other members of the Schultz organization for racketeering. In an attempt to flee prosecution and arrest, Pompez fled to Mexico but was eventually caught and brought back to New York City to face trial. Pompez was able to escape arrest, however, by testifying against corrupt New York City mayor Jimmy Hines and other corrupt members of New York City's ruling political organization Tammany Hall. As the drama surrounding his legal battles played out in the courts, Pompez continued to run his Negro League franchise, and did so until the League’s collapse in 1948. Pompez’ lasting contribution to baseball, however, was established due to his ties to Latin America. With his familial connection to Cuba and the Caribbean, Pompez was the first Negro League owner to scout and sign Caribbean players to his team. After the demise of the Negro Leagues, Pompez arranged for his team to become a minor league affiliate of the New York Giants, thereby creating a pipeline through which a steady stream of talented players from Cuba, Puerto Rico, and other areas of Latin America could be brought into the major leagues, including Felipe Alou, Minnie Minoso, Tony Oliva, Jose Santiago, Jose Cardenal, Manny Mota, Orlando Cepeda, Juan Marichal, and many others. Pompez was elected into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 2006.

PLAYERS

Though racism kept them out of Major League Baseball, the Negro Leagues featured some of the greatest players in baseball history, making the negro leagues every bit the equal of the recognized major leagues.The following players were considered the "Best of the Best"

CoolPapaBell.jpg
JAMES "COOL PAPA" BELL (1901-1991)
Position: Center Field
Teams: St. Louis Stars, Pittsburgh Crawfords, Homestead Grays
Inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1974

RayBrown.jpg
RAY BROWN (1908-1965)
Position: Pitcher
Team: Homestead Grays
Inducted Into Baseball Hall of Fame in 2006

WillardBrown.jpg
WILLARD BROWN (1911-1996)
Team: Kansas City Monarchs
Position: Left Field, Center Field
Inducted Into Baseball Hall of Fame in 2006

OscarCharleston.jpg
OSCAR CHARLESTON (1896-1954)
Teams: Indianapolis ABC's, Chicago American Giants, Homestead Grays, Pittsburgh Crawfords
Position: First Base
Inducted into Baseball Hall of Fame in 1976

AndyCooper.jpg
ANDY COOPER (1896-1941)
Teams: Detroit Stars, Chicago American Giants, St. Louis Stars, Kansas City Monarchs
Inducted into Baseball Hall of Fame in 2006

RayDandridge.jpg
RAY DANDRIDGE (1913-1994)
Teams: Detroit Stars, Nashville Elite Giants, Newark Eagles
Positions: Third Base, Second Base, Shortstop
Inducted Into Baseball Hall of Fame in 1987

LeonDay.jpg
LEON DAY (1916-1995)
Teams: Brooklyn Eagles, Newark Eagles, Baltimore Elite Giants
Inducted into Baseball Hall of Fame in 1995

WilliamFoster.jpg
WILLIAM "BILL" FOSTER (1904-1978)
Teams: Memphis Red Sox, Chicago American Giants, Birmingham Black Barons, Homestead Grays, Kansas City Monarchs, Pittsburgh Crawfords
Inducted into Baseball Hall of Fame in 1996

JoshGibson.jpg
JOSH GIBSON (1911-1947)
Teams: Homestead Grays, Pittsburgh Crawfords
Position: Catcher
Inducted into Baseball Hall of Fame in 1972

FrankGrant.jpg
FRANK GRANT (1865-1937)
Teams: Cuban Giants, New York Gorhams
Position: Second Base

PeteHill.jpg
PETE HILL (1880-1951)
Teams: Pittsburgh Keystones, Cuban Giants, Chicago American Giants, Detroit Stars

JudyJohnson.jpg
WILLIAM "JUDY" JOHNSON (1900-1989)
Teams: Homestead Grays, Pittsburgh Crawfords
Positions: Third Base, Shortstop
Inducted Into Baseball Hall of Fame in 1975

BuckLeonard.jpg
WALTER "BUCK" LEONARD (1907-1997)
Teams: Homestead Grays

PopLloyd.jpg
JOHN HENRY "POP" LLOYD (1994-1965)
Teams: Chicago American Giants, Atlantic City Giants, Columbus Buckeyes
Position: Shortstop

BizMackey.jpg
RALEIGH "BIZ" MACKEY (1897-1965)
Teams: Indianapolis ABCs, Baltimore Elite Giants, Newark Eagles

SmokeyJoeWilliams.jpg
LEROY "SATCHEL" PAIGE (1906-1982)
Teams: Birmingham Black Barons, Pittsburgh Crawfords, Kansas City Monarchs
Inducted into Baseball Hall of Fame in 1971

BulletJoeRogan.jpg
WILBER "BULLET JOE" ROGAN (1889-1967)
Teams: Kansas City Monarchs
Inducted into Baseball Hall of Fame in 1998

LouisSantop.jpg
LOUIS SANTOP (1880-1942)
Teams: Brooklyn Royal Giants, Chicago American Giants

HiltonSmith-b.jpg
HILTON SMITH (1912-1983)
Teams: Kansas City Monarchs
Inducted into Baseball Hall of Fame in 2001

NormanTurkeyStearns.jpg
NORMAN "TURKEY" STEARNES (1901-1979)
Teams: Nashville Elite Giants, Memphis Red Sox, Kansas City Monarchs, Chicago American Giants
Inducted into Baseball Hall of Fame in 2000

GeorgeMuleSuttles.jpg
GEORGE "MULE" SUTTLES (1901-1968)
Teams: Birmingham Black Barons, Newark Eagles, Indianapolis ABCs

BenTaylor.jpg
BEN TAYLOR (1888-1953)
Teams: Chicago American Giants, Indianapolis ABCs, Brooklyn Eagles

WillieWells.jpg
WILLIE WELLS (1905-1989)
Teams: St. Louis Stars, Homestead Grays, Kansas City Monarchs, Newark Eagles
Position: Shortstop
Inducted into Baseball Hall of Fame in 1997

SmokeyJoeWilliams-b.jpg
JOSEPH "SMOKEY JOE" WILLIAMS (1885-1946)
Teams: Brooklyn Royal Giants, Homestead Grays
Inducted Into Baseball Hall of Fame in 1999

After Jackie Robinson's signing to the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1947, the attention of Black America moved from the Negro Leagues to the major leagues, and within two years, the Negro National League, and for all intents and purposes, Negro League Baseball as a whole, was history. Given the events that led to the demise of the Negro Leagues within the Black community, it will be very interesting to observe the next few years as the exact same events are currently taking place within another important baseball institution, the Japanese Major Leagues. It will be worth watching to see if the Japanese will continue to support their own baseball franchises as they have for nearly 100 years, or if they will abandon them altogether as we eventually did.

Last edited:

Rezn8

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
BASEBALL'S AFRICAN-AMERICAN HERITAGE

THE MAJOR LEAGUES (1947-1960)

THE GROUND-BREAKERS

With the major league debut of Jackie Robinson on April 15, 1947, the hopes of several generations of African-American baseball players and fans had been realized. And while Jackie Robinson was the first and most well-known, there were other new major leaguers who came directly behind him, who had to face the same taunts, threats, abuses, and expressions of hate on a daily basis. These were the men who were the first to integrate the various major league teams between 1947 and 1957.

TomAlston.png
TOM ALSTON (1926-1993)
Team: St. Louis Cardinals
Debut Date: April 13, 1954
Years in the Majors: 1954-1957

Tom Alston was a 6' 5" first baseman who played parts of four years with the St. Louis Cardinals

ErnieBanks.jpg
ERNIE BANKS (1931- )
Team: Chicago Cubs
Debut Date: September 17, 1953
Years in the Majors: 1953-1971
Inducted into Baseball Hall of Fame in 1977

Known to millions as Mr. Cub, Ernie Banks was (until the arrival of Alex Rodriguez) the greatest power-hitting shortstop in baseball history. His career started in the Negro Leagues with the Kansas City Monarchs before being brought to the Cubs by their Negro League scout and former Monarchs manager Buck O'Neil. The two time National League MVP (1958 & 1959) hit 512 home runs and was named to Major League Baseball's All-Century Team in 2000.

LarryDoby.jpg
LARRY DOBY (1923-2003)
Team: Cleveland Indians
Debut Date: July 5, 1947
Years in the Major Leagues: 1947-1959
Inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1998

A gifted power-hitting centerfielder with great speed, Larry Doby was the first African-American to play in the American League. A six-time All-Star, Doby's career started in the Negro Leagues with the Newark Eagles. Besides being the second African-American to play in the major leagues, Doby also followed Frank Robinson to become the second African-American to manage at the major league level when he was hired by White Sox owner Bill Veeck (the man who signed him to the Indians as a player) to manage the team in 1978.

PumpsieGreen.jpg
ELIJAH "PUMPSIE" GREEN (1933- )
Team: Boston Red Sox
Debut Date: July 21, 1959
Years in the Majors: 1959-1963

Pumpsie Green was a second baseman and pinch hitter who played four major league seasons with the Red Sox and the New York Mets.

ChuckHarmon-1.jpg
CHUCK HARMON (1924- )
Team: Cincinnati Reds
Debue Date: April 17, 1954
Years in the Majors: 1954-1957

A college basketball star at the University of Toledo, Chuck Harmon was a third baseman who played four seasons in the major leagues.

ElstonHoward.jpg
ELSTON HOWARD (1929-1980)
Team: New York Yankees
Debut Date: April 14, 1955
Years in the Majors: 1955-1968

Elston Howard was one of the American League's top catchers during the 1960's. Breaking in as an understudy to all-time great catcher Yogi Berra, Howard replaced Berra as the Yankees first string catcher in 1960, and was a member of nine Yankee pennant winning teams, including the 1961 team that is considered one of the greatest in baseball history.

MonteIrvin.jpg
MONTE IRVIN (1919- )
Team: New York Giants
Debut Date: July 8, 1949
Years in the Majors: 1949-1956
Inducted into Baseball Hall of Fame in 1973

One of the greatest Negro League players of all time, most expected Monte Irvin, and not Jackie Robinson to be the first to break baseball's color barrier. Once arriving in the majors two years after Robinson, he became a fixture in the Giants lineup, with his best year coming in 1951 when he hit .321, with 24HRs and 121 RBIs, which led the National League.

SamJethroe.jpg
SAM JETHROE (1917-2001)
Team: Boston Braves
Debut Date: April 18, 1950
Years in the Majors: 1950-1954

Sam Jethroe was a centerfielder who played the bulk of his career in the Negro Leagues, but won the 1950 National League Rookie of the Year Award in his first year in the Major Leagues at the age of 33.

JohnKennedy.jpg
JOHN KENNEDY (1926-1998)
Team: Philadelphia Phillies
Debut Date: April 22, 1957

John Kennedy was a long-time Negro League shortstop for the Birmingham Black Barons and the Kansas City Monarchs. He finished his baseball career by playing the 1957 season with the Philadelphia Phillies.

CurtRoberts.jpg
CURT ROBERTS (1929-1969)
Team: Pittsburgh Pirates
Year in the Majors: 1954-1956

Curt Roberts was a second basemen who spent most of his baseball career in the minor leagues. Raised in Oakland, CA, he was the first of many black major leaguers to come out of the city of Oakland and predominantly Black McClymonds High School.

JackieRobinson.jpg
JACKIE ROBINSON (1919-1972)
Team: Brooklyn Dodgers
Debut Date: April 15, 1947
Year in the Majors: 1947-1956
Inducted into Baseball Hall of Fame in 1962

Jackie Robinson, arguably the greatest all-around athlete of the 20th Century, went to the Baseball Hall of Fame playing a sport that was his least favorite. As a high school student, he was a nationally-ranked tennis player, who went on to UCLA where he was an All-American running back, the Pac-8's (now Pac-10) leading scorer for two consecutive years as a point guard in basketball, and the nation's number one-ranked long jumper who would have most likely won an Olympic gold medal had the games not been cancelled due to World War II. He is still the only four-sport letterman in UCLA history.

HankThompson.jpg
HANK THOMPSON (1925-1969)
Teams: St. Louis Browns and New York Giants
Debut Dates: July 17, 1947 (Browns); July 8, 1949 (Giants)
Years in the Majors: 1947-1956

The only player to integrate two major-league franchises, Hank Thompson was also the first black player to play in both the National and American Leagues. A gifted athlete but a troubled man, Thompson, who from his mid-teens on frequently ran afoul of the law, earned charges ranging from assault and battery of a woman to armed robbery. He died prematurely at the age of 43 from a heart seizure.

BobTrice-1.jpg
BOB TRICE (1926-1988)
Team: Philadelphia Athletics
Debut Date: September 13, 1953
Years in the Majors: 1953-1955

Bob Trice was a pitcher whose career started with the Homestead Grays of the Negro Leagues.

THE PIONEERS

After the ground was broken, the way was clear for a FEW more black players to appear on major-league rosters. Until the late 1960's, most major-league teams had a 3-4 man "black quota" limiting the presence of black players on their teams. These were some of the "first wave" of African-American players who came in after the doors were initially opened in the late 1940s.

HenryAaron.png

HENRY AARON (1934- )
Team: Milwaukee Braves
Years in the Majors: 1954-1976
Inducted into Baseball Hall of Fame in 1982

Considered by many to be the greatest right-handed hitter in baseball history, Henry Aaron was one of the best all-around players in history. Basically known as a home run hitter now, Aaron won two National League batting titles, three Gold Gloves, and was selected to the National League All-Star team 24 times.

DanBankhead.jpg
DAN BANKHEAD (1920-1975)
Debut Date: August 26, 1947
Years in the Majors: 1947-1951

One of the five Bankhead Brothers who starred in the Negro Leagues, Dan Bankhead was the first African-American pitcher in major league baseball history.

JoeBlack.jpg
JOE BLACK (1924-2002)
Debut Date: May 1, 1952
Years in the Majors: 1952-1957

A right-handed relief pitcher with an overpowering fastball, Joe Black pitched the Baltimore Elite Giants to two Negro League championships before being signed by the Brooklyn Dodgers as a relief pitcher. In his first major league season, Black won 15 games, saved 15 others, and was voted the 1952 National League Rookie of the Year.

RoyCampanella.jpg
ROY CAMPANELLA (1921-1993)
Debut Date: April 20, 1948
Years in the Majors: 1948-1957
Inducted into Baseball Hall of Fame in 1969

Generally considered one of the five greatest catchers in baseball history, Roy Campanella, along with Yogi Berra, was the premiere catcher of the 1950's. Campanella won three National League MVP Awards (1951, 1953, 1955), and helped lead his team to six World Series appearances.

TommyDavis.jpg
TOMMY DAVIS (1939- )
Team: Los Angeles Dodgers
Debut Date: September 22, 1959
Years in the Majors: 1959-1976

A pure hitter, Tommy Davis was a 3-time National League All-Star, and a two-time National League batthing champion. Before embarking on his baseball career, Davis, a native of Brooklyn, was a high school basketball star at Boys High School, where his teammate was future NBA Hall of Fame guard and coach Lenny Wilkins.

LukeEaster.jpg
LUKE EASTER (1915-1979)
Debut Date: August 11, 1949
Years in the Majors: 1949-1954

Luke Easter was a 6'4" 240 lb. first baseman who was known for hitting some of the longest home runs ever hit in both the Negro Leagues and the major leagues. After his playing days had ended, Easter spent many years as a chief steward for the Aircraft Workers Union in the Cleveland area. In 1979, after leaving a Euclid, OH bank where he had just cashed checks for employees of his company who couldn't make it to the bank, he was robbed and murdered by two men who had tracked his movements for days.

JimGilliam.jpg
JIM GILLIAM (1928-1978)
Debut Date: April 14, 1953
Years in the Majors: 1953-1966

Jim Gilliam was a second baseman who was the National League Rookie of the Year in 1953. Gilliam played, and then coached for the Brooklyn / Los Angeles Dodgers for 25 years until his death from a brain hemorrhage in 1978.

MudcatGrant.jpg
JIM "MUDCAT" GRANT (1935- )
Debut Date: April 17, 1958
Years in the Majors: 1958-1971

A crafty right-hand pitcher, Jim "Mudcat" Grant was a two-time All-Star whose best season came in 1965 when he went 21-7 to lead the American League in wins and helped take the Minnesota Twins to the 1965 World Series.

SamHairston.jpg
SAM HAIRSTON (1920-1997)
Team: Chicago White Sox
Debut Date: July 21, 1951

Sam Hairston was a longtime Negro League catcher who was the first African-American to play for the Chicago White Sox (following Cuban Minnie Minoso who was the first black member of the team). Hairston, the first of three generations of major leaguers, was followed to the big leagues by his son Jerry Hairston, an outfielder with the White Sox and Pirates, and his grandson, Jerry Hairston, Jr. currently a member of the Washington Nationals.

SamJones.jpg
SAM JONES (1925-1971)
Debut Date: September 22, 1951
Years in the Majors: 1951-1964

"Toothpick" Sam Jones was a pitcher who was as much a master of the strikeout as he was a victim of walks. Twice a Naitonal League leader in both categories, he was the first African-American pitcher to throw a no-hitter at the major-league level when as a Chicago Cub, he shut down the Pittsurgh Pirates on May 12, 1955.

WillieMays.jpg
WILLIE MAYS (1931- )
Debut Date: May 25, 1951
Years in the Majors: 1951-1973
Inducted into Baseball Hall of Fame in 1979

Willie Mays was the greatest, all-around player in baseball history, He brought to the game what it desperately misses today, someone of supreme talent who masters every aspect of the game, but does it with personality and a LOT of STYLE. If there was a Dr. J/M.J./Kobe of baseball, it was Mays. From the larger-than-necessary cap that would fly off when he ran (giving the appearance that he was even faster than he was) to the basket catch, everything that Mays did was better, more unique, and more fun to watch than anyone else.

Hall of Fame Announcers Talk About Willie Mays​

Willie Mays on "What's My Line" - July 11, 1954​

CharlieNeal.jpg
CHARLIE NEAL (1931-1996)
Debut Date: April 17, 1956
Years in the Majors: 1956-1963

Charlie Neal was an outstanding shortstop who played at a high level, but has somehow been forgotten by history. Neal was a Gold Glove winning shortstop who was selected to two National League All-Star teams, and was a pivotal player on the Dodgers 1959 world championship team.

DonNewcombe.jpg
DON NEWCOMBE (1926- )
Debut Date: May 20, 1949
Years in the Majors: 1949-1960

Don Newcombe was a 6' 4" right-handed pitcher who was one of the National League's best for most of his career. He was the first winner of the Cy Young Award for pitching excellence (at a time when only one pitcher in baseball received the award), and is the only player in baseball history to be selected Rookie of the Year, Cy Young Award winner, and league MVP. Because of the physical resemblance they both shared as young men, Don Newcombe's nickname "Newk" also became the nickname of his look-alike, legendary jazz saxophonist Sonny Rollins.

SatchelPaige.jpg
LEROY "SATCHEL" PAIGE (1906-1982)
Debut Date: July 9, 1948
Years in the Majors: 1948-1965
Inducted into Baseball Hall of Fame in 1971

Unlike many of his contemporaries, Satchel Paige was able to realize his lifelong dream of reaching the major leagues. The greatest star of Negro League baseball, and considered by many historians to be one of the five greatest pitchers of all time, Paige pitched his first major league game at an age when most players his age had retired. Yet, he was dominant, going 6-1, with a 2.48 ERA, helping the Indians reach the 1948 World Series.

LarryRaines.jpg
LARRY RAINES (1930-1978)
Debut Date: April 16, 1957
Years in the Majors: 1957-1958​

Larry Raines was a versatile infielder, and was the first player ever to play in the Negro Leagues, the American major leagues and the Japanese major leagues.

FrankRobinson.jpg
FRANK ROBINSON (1935- )
Team: Cincinnati Reds
Debut Date: April 17, 1956
Years in the Majors: 1956-1976
Inducted into Baseball Hall of Fame in 1982

One of the greatest players the game has ever known, Frank Robinson was one of only 11 players in the history of baseball to win the Triple Crown, and the only player in history to be named league MVP in both the American and National League. Like Curt Roberts before him, Robinson grew up in Oakland, CA, and attended McClymonds High School where he played on the school's basketball team alongside Bill Russell.

JohnRoseboro.jpg
JOHN ROSEBORO (1933-2002)
Debut Date: June 14, 1957
Years in the Majors: 1957-1970

John Roseboro replaced Roy Campanella as the Dodger catcher after Campanella suffered permanent paralysis after an automobile injury. On August 22, 1965, he was one of the combatants in the most infamous baseball fight of all time when he was hit in the head with a bat by Hall of Fame pitcher Juan Marichal during one of the imost heated games ever played between longtime rivals the Dodgers and Giants. Roseboro played on three world championship Dodger teams, and caught two of Sandy Koufax's four no-hitters.

ROSEBORO-MARICHAL FIGHT - Candlestick Park, San Francisco - August 22, 1965
Roseboro-MarichalFight.jpg

AlSmith-b.jpg
AL SMITH (1928-2002)
Debut Date: July 10, 1953
Years in the Majors: 1953-1964

Al Smith was a two-time All-Star outfielder who played the bulk of his career with the Cleveland Indians and the Chicago White Sox.

MauryWills-b.jpg
MAURY WILLS (1932- )
Team: Los Angeles Dodgers
Debut Date: June 5, 1959
Years in the Majors: 1959-1972

Maury Wills was a five-time National League All-Star, the 1962 National League MVP, and one of the greatest base stealers in baseball history.

Rezn8

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
LEGENDARY VOICES OF THE GAME
Microphone.jpg

For many years, they've brought the game of baseball into your living rooms, your cars, or wherever you take in the game. Theirs are the familiar voices that have helped make up the summer soundtracks of your life. A few of them are still around, but many of them are now gone. Yet, if you are a baseball fan, there's no question that some of these men have been a huge part of your life.

MEL ALLEN (1913-1996)
"How About That!!!"
MelAllen.jpg

Mel Allen (along with Red Barber of the Brooklyn Dodgers) was the most recognized Major League play-by-play announcer of the 1940's and 1950's. Partly because of being based in New York City, the world’s media capital of those years, and partly because of being the voice of the New York Yankees, the most dominant team in American sports during that era, Allen became synonymous with baseball for many Americans. As the voice of the Yankees from 1939 to 1964, Allen also became synonymous with the World Series, as the Yankees won the American League pennant in 19 of his 26 seasons behind the mike. In his later years, Allen was the voice behind the weekly series “This Week in Baseball”, which he did for nearly 20 years. Allen was a charter inductee (along with Red Barber) to the broadcaster’s wing of the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1978.

RED BARBER (1908-1992)
RedBarber.jpg

Red Barber was the play-by-play voice of the Brooklyn Dodgers from 1939 to 1953, and is still considered one of the five greatest broadcasters in the game’s history. Before his most widely known period with the Dodgers, Barber was the voice of the Cincinnati Reds from 1934 to 1938, and was behind the mike for Major League Baseball’s first ever night game, and for baseball’s first nationally-televised game. Barber and Mel Allen were the first inductees into the broadcaster's wing of the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1978.

MARTY BRENNAMAN (1942- )
"And This One Belongs To The Reds!!!"
MartyBrennaman.jpg

The voice of the Cincinnati Reds since 1974, Marty Brennaman has described the pitching of “The Nasty Boys”, no-hitters by Tom Seaver and Tom Browning, Pete Rose’s chase of Ty Cobb’s hit record, the exploits of the legendary “Big Red Machine” of the 70's, and three World Series championship teams for Reds fans throughout the Midwest. One of the most respected broadcasters in the game today, Brennaman is still behind the mike, and was elected into the broadcaster’s wing of the Baseball Hall of Fame in 2000.

JACK BRICKHOUSE (1916-1998)
"Back, Back, Back, ..... Hey Hey!!!"
JackBrickhouse.jpg

From Ernie Banks in the 1950's to Ryne Sandberg in the 1980's, Jack Brickhouse was the voice that brought Chicago Cubs baseball into the homes of several generations of fans in Chicago and throughout the Midwest. Beginning in 1940 at WGN Radio (Chicago) Brickhouse was the voice of both the Cubs and the White Sox until the White Sox's departure from the station in 1968. For 24 years, Brickhouse was also the radio voice of the Chicago Bears. Brickhouse was inducted into the broadcaster’s wing of the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1983.

JACK BUCK (1924-2002)
And That's a Cardinals Winner!!!"

JackBuck.jpg

From 1954 until his passing in 2002, Jack Buck brought St. Louis Cardinals baseball to millions throughout the country. At Cardinal flagship station KMOX (St. Louis) Buck was blessed with one of the most powerful radio signals in the country, allowing his voice to be heard through nearly two-thirds of the continental U.S. In 1953, to win his job in the Cardinals radio booth, Buck successfully beat out another young, talented, up-and-coming Midwestern announcer, Chick Hearn, who would go on to become a West Coast institution as the voice of the Los Angeles Lakers. For much of his career, Buck shared the KMOX radio booth and worked in the shadows of his more flamboyant broadcast partner, the legendary Harry Carey. But from 1969 after Carey’s controversial dismissal from KMOX until his passing, Buck built his own legend as the lead voice of the baseball and football St. Louis Cardinals, and later with retired NFL coach Hank Stram, formed one of the greatest football broadcasting teams of all time. Buck was inducted into the broadcaster’s wing of the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1987.

HARRY CARAY (1914-1998)
Sox Win!! Sox Win!! Sox Win!! ... Holy Cow!!!!
HarryCaray.jpg

One of the most beloved announcers in baseball history, Harry Caray, like few other announcers in any sport, connected with baseball fans to such a degree that he often eclipsed the teams he covered in popularity. Caray, who openly criticized bad play, swilled beer during games, and made great use of humor during his broadcasts, seemed more like one of the fellas watching the game along with you in your living room than a Hall-of-Fame announcer. In a career that spanned six decades, it depended on your age range in how you best remembered Caray. Many older fans remember him most as the radio voice of the St. Louis Cardinals on KMOX Radio (St. Louis) from 1945 to 1969. Younger baseball fans in the 25-40 age range remember him as the television voice of the Chicago Cubs on superstation WGN from the 1980's until his passing in 1998. But for me, as a kid growing up as a White Sox fan in the Chicago area, I will always remember him as part of the most exciting, the most entertaining, and the most controversial announcing team in baseball history when along with his broadcast partner Jimmy Piersall, he was the voice of the White Sox from 1971 to 1982. Caray was inducted into the broadcast wing of the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1989.

DICK ENBERG (1935- )
"Oh My!!!"

DickEnberg.jpg

One of the most respected and highly awarded broadcasters of all time, Dick Enberg is best known as a versatile national announcer who has done everything from college basketball, the Olympics, NFL Football, to tennis for NBC and for CBS. But Enberg’s roots lie in baseball where he was the longtime voice of the California Angels throughout the 1960's and the 1970's. After many years away from the game, Enberg recently returned to his roots, and will finish out his career as the voice of the San Diego Padres where he has been for the past two seasons.

CURT GOWDY (1919-2006)
CurtGowdy.jpg

Throughout the 1960's and 1970's, Curt Gowdy was THE broadcast voice behind virtually every major nationally-televised sporting event in America. He was the lead voice of AFL and later AFC football on NBC throughout the 1960's and 1970's. He was the lead announcer for NBC’s Major League Baseball Game of the Week for nearly 20 years. He was the lead broadcast voice for 16 World Series, 12 Rose Bowls, 8 Olympic Games, 24 NCAA Final Fours, 16 Major League All-Star Games, and over 10 Super Bowls. Yet, Gowdy originally made his name as the voice of the Boston Red Sox during much of the Ted Williams era of the 1940s and 1950s. Gowdy was inducted into the broadcaster’s wing of the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1984.

JOE GARAGIOLA (1926- )
JoeGaragiola.jpg

After completing his playing career as a major league carcher, Joe Garagiola started a baseball broadcasting career that would last for more than 30 years. Garagiola spent the bulk of his career as a national broadcaster for NBC doing the Game of the Week and the World Series. He was inducted into the broadcaster’s wing of the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1991.

MILO HAMILTON (1927- )
MiloHamilton-b.jpg

When Jack Buck beat out Chick Hearn to join Harry Caray for the third chair in the St. Louis Cardinal radio booth in 1953, the second chair happened to belong to another young man who would go on to become a Hall-of-Fame announcer - Milo Hamilton. Best known as the longtime voice of the Houston Astros, Hamilton also spent many years as the radio voice of the Atlanta Braves and as a backup to Jack Brickhouse with the Chicago Cubs. Milo Hamilton was elected into the broadcaster’s wing of the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1992.

Hamilton's Call of Henry Aaron's 715th Home Run

ERNIE HARWELL (1918-2010)
"And That One is Looooooong Gone!!!"
ErnieHarwell.jpg

For more than 40 years, Ernie Harwell described the exploits of Al Kaline, Willie Horton, Lance Parrish Jack Morris, Chet Lemon, Norm Cash, and the Detroit Tigers from his WJR Radio microphone at Tiger Stadium and Comerica Park to several generations of Tiger fans. Before his years with the Tigers, Harwell was a member of the legendary Brooklyn Dodger broadcast team that featured veteran broadcaster Red Barber, and a talented, young up-and-coming announcer named Vin Scully. Harwell was inducted into the broadcaster’s wing of the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1981.

RUSS HODGES (1910-1971)
"You Can Tell It Bye Bye Baby!!!"
RussHodges.jpg

For many years as the voice of the New York Giants, Russ Hodges was considered “that other guy” in a city that also included legendary baseball voices Mel Allen (Yankees) and Red Barber (Dodgers). Yet, it was Hodges, who during the deciding game of a three-game playoff for the 1951 National League pennant, made the call that is generally considered the most famous call in the history of American sportscasting with his impassioned description of Bobby Thompson’s pennant-winning home run. Hodges would later go with the Giants to San Francisco, where he helped establish the Giants popularity in the Bay Area. He was inducted into the broadcaster’s wing of the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1980.

HARRY KALAS (1936-2009)
"And That Ball Is Ouuuuuta Heeeeere!!!"

HarryKalas-b.jpg

With his unmistakable deep, gravely baritone voice, Harry Kalas described the ups and downs of “Lefty” (Steve Carlton), “Mickey Poo” (Mitch Williams) “Michael Jack” (Mike Schmidt) and the Philadelphia Phillies for nearly 40 years. Kalas came to the Phillies in 1971 after several years as the voice of the Houston Astros, and quickly became a Philadelphia sports institution, along with his longtime broadcast partner and best friend, Hall-of-Fame player Richie Ashburn. In addiiton to his work with the Phillies, Kalas did regional play-by-play of NFL games for CBS television, and was the longtime voice of NFL Films. Kalas was inducted into the broadcaster’s wing of the Baseball Hall-of-Fame in 2002.

BILL KING (1925-2005)
"Hooooly Toledo!!!"
BillKing.jpg

The man that I consider to be the greatest all-around radio play-by-play announcer in American broadcast history is mostly unknown to most of the country, since his only sin was not having an interest in being a national broadcaster, preferring instead to confine his broadcasting duties to the Bay Area. Best known as the legendary voice of the Oakland / Los Angeles Raiders from the 1960's through the 1980's, Bill King was also the voice of the Oakland A’s for nearly 30 years. In addition to his classic work in football and baseball, Bill King was also, in my opinion, the greatest radio play-by-play announcer in NBA history as the longtime voice of the San Francisco / Golden State Warriors. With the possible exception of Vin Scully, no one ever had more of an artistic mastery of the English language than Bill King, and no one could make the most routine play sound like the most exciting thing you've ever seen. One of the greatest travesties in all of sports is the fact that Bill King, who should have long ago been in the Basketball, Baseball, and Pro Football Halls of Fame, has yet to be elected into either. Hopefully, Bay Area fans and media members who were blessed to enjoy his talents for so many years will put pressure on each Hall of Fame to right this unbelievable wrong.

JON MILLER (1951- )

JonMiller.jpg

One of the most gifted and eloquent baseball voices of all time, Jon Miller was the longtime voice of the Baltimore Orioles. During his years in Baltimore, Miller also became the lead baseball voice for ESPN, and continues in that role today with his broadcast partner Hall-of-Fame second baseman Joe Morgan. Born and raised in San Francisco, Miller fulfilled a lifelong dream in 1998 when he became the lead play-by-play voice of his hometown San Francisco Giants where he continues to broadcast today. Miller was inducted into the broadcaster’s wing of the Baseball Hall of Fame in 2010.

LINDSAY NELSON (1919-1995)

LindsayNelson.jpg

Better known for his work on NFL football and as the voice of Notre Dame football during the 1960's and 1970's, legendary broadcaster Lindsay Nelson was also the original voice of the New York Mets. Nelson’s play-by-play was the main attraction for the Mets in their lean early years, and he was also on the scene (with his broadcast partner Hall of Fame player Ralph Kiner) when they shocked the sports world by winning the 1969 World Series. Lindsay Nelson was elected into the broadcaster’s wing of the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1988.

BOB PRINCE (1916-1985)
"And You Can Kiss It Goodbye!!"
BobPrince.jpg

For nearly 30 years, Pittsburgh baseball fans wanting to follow the daily struggles of Ralph Kiner, Willie Stargell, Roberto Clemente, Dock Ellis, and the Pittsburgh Pirates did so through the voice of Bob Prince. From 1948 through 1976, Prince not only connected the team to its public, but was a confidant to many Pirate players. Prince was the only member of the media to have a close personal relationship with the brilliant, but very guarded Roberto Clemente. Prince was inducted into the broadcasters wing of the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1986.

PHIL RIZZUTO (1917-2007)
"Holy Cow!!!"

PhilRizzuto.jpg

A Hall of Fame shortstop for the New York Yankees of the 1940's and 1950's, Phil Rizzuto went on to become more of a Yankee fixture in the broadcast booth than he was on the field. A Brooklyn native, Rizzuto was a Yankee broadcaster from 1957 to 1996, and was elected into the Baseball Hall of Fame as a player in 1994

Rizzuto's Call of Roger Maris's 61st Home Run

VIN SCULLY (1927- )
VinScully.jpg

The man who I consider to be the greatest baseball play-by-play announcer who ever lived began his career in 1951, when as a 24-year old graduate of New York City’s Fordham University, Vin Scully joined the broadcast team of the Brooklyn Dodgers. Trained under the stern hand of legendary announcer Red Barber, Scully combined his love of the game with his gift of artfully using language to craft a style that has become exciting, informative, and elegant at the same time. Although he’s best known for baseball, Scully has also done considerable work in pro football, and was behind the CBS television microphone for one of the greatest plays in NFL history when he called “The Catch,” the touchdown pass from Joe Montana to Dwight Clark that propelled the San Francisco 49ers to their NFL dynasty. Now in his eighties, Scully continues to do Dodger home games, but has discontinued his travel with the team. Vin Scully was inducted into the broadcaster’s wing of the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1982.

LON SIMMONS (1923- )
"You Can Tell It Goodbye!!!"
LonSimmons.jpg

For more than 50 years, Lon Simmons has been a sports institution in the Bay Area. Starting as Russ Hodges’ broadcast partner with the San Francisco Giants in their first years on the West Coast, Simmons was also the longtime voice of both the Oakland A’s and the San Francisco 49ers. Simmons was inducted into the broadcasters wing of the Baseball Hall of Fame in 2004.

JOE TAIT (1937- )
JoeTait-b.jpg

Best known as one of the greatest voices in NBA history, longtime Cleveland Cavaliers radio voice Joe Tait was also the television play-by-play voice of the Cleveland Indians. A member of the Basketball Hall of Fame, Tait will end his historic broadcasting career later this week when he calls the Cavs final game of the 2010-2011 season, thus ending nearly 40 years as the primary radio voice of Cleveland sports.

CHUCK THOMPSON (1925-2005)
"Go To War Ms. Agnes!!!"

ChuckThompson.jpg

From 1949 to 1987, Chuck Thompson was the voice of the Baltimore Orioles. With a rich, elegant baritone voice, Thompson was THE voice of Baltimore sports, doubling as the voice of the Baltimore Colts from the mid-1950's until their departure for Indianapolis in 1984. Thompson was inducted into the broadcaster’s wing of the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1993.

BOB UECKER (1935- )
BobUecker.jpg

Although many people only know him as the sarcastic play-by-play announcer from the movie Major League, many people are unaware that Bob Uecker also happens to be one of the greatest play-by-play announcers in major league baseball history. The voice of the Milwaukee Brewers since 1971, Uecker has combined his knowledge of the game with a wicked sense of humor to become one of the best and most exciting announcers of all time. Uecker was inducted into the broadcaster’s wing of the Baseball Hall of Fame in 2003.

BILL WHITE (1934- )
BillWhite.jpg

A longtime first baseman with the St. Louis Cardinals and the Philadelphia Phillies, Bill White was the first African-American to do major league baseball play-by-play when he joined the New York Yankee broadcast team in 1971. Along with Phil Rizzuto and Frank Messer, White did Yankee broadcasts for 18 years. White, whose broadcast career began during his playing days in St. Louis, was also the first African-American to do NHL hockey play-by-play when he did a number of Philadelphia Flyers broadcasts during the 1970-71 season.

Last edited:

Rezn8

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
CLASSIC GAMES FROM MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL
KirkGibson-a.jpg

PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES vs. CHICAGO CUBS
Date: May 17, 1979
Place: Wrigley Field - Chicago, IL
Original Broadcast: WGN-TV - Chicago
Announcer: Jack Brickhouse

MikeSchmidt-b.jpg
MIKE SCHMIDT

DaveKingman.jpg
DAVE KINGMAN

May 17, 1979 was an unusually warm and sunny early spring day in Chicago, which meant two certain things - (1) tens of thousands of Chicagoans, sick of a brutally long winter that saw a historic blizzard shutdown the city and eventually cost a sitting mayor his job, would be out and about enjoying the beautiful day; and (2) the wind would be howling out of Wrigley Field. Add to that the presence of Mike Schmidt and Dave "Kong" Kingman, two of the greatest pure power hitters in baseball history, and you had the makings for an eventful day at the ballpark. Yet, the 14,000+ fans that showed up that day had no idea that they would be witnesses to one of the wildest slugfests in the nearly 150-year history of the game. Yet, that's exactly what they got as the powerhouse Philadelphia Phillies (a team that had knocked on the door of a National League pennant for three years, and who would win a world championship the next year) outlasted the Chicago Cubs for a hard-fought 23-22 win.

Last edited:

Rezn8

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

DavidOrtiz-c.jpg

NEW YORK YANKEES vs. BOSTON RED SOX

Date: October 18, 2004
Place: Fenway Park (Boston, MA)
Original Broadcast: ESPN
Announcers: Dave O'Brien & Rick Sutcliffe

PedroMartinez.jpg

PEDRO MARTINEZ

MikeMussina.jpg
MIKE MUSSINA

On the night of October 18, 2004, the Boston Red Sox were in the process of continuing their rise from the brink of oblivion. One night earlier in the bottom of the ninth inning, the Red Sox, trailing 3 games to none, were three outs away from being turned away from yet another American League pennant. Making matters worse was the fact that the culprits who would be sending them away would be their eternal rivals, the New York Yankees. Plus, with usually invincible closer Mariano Rivera on the mound, hopes for a comeback were not very strong, Yet, a walk and stolen base by Dave Roberts, and an RBI single by Bill Mueller tied the game in the bottom of the ninth inning. Three innings later, the Red Sox earned one more day of life with a 12th inning walk-off home run by David Ortiz. Game 5 would feature a match-up of two of the American League’s best starters, Pedro Martinez and Mike Mussina. In order for the Red Sox to continue their seemingly impossible comeback, it would eventually take another miracle finish to get the job done in what would become the longest post-season game in Major League Baseball history.

Last edited:

Rezn8

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

NolanRyan-b.jpg

NOLAN RYAN

TORONTO BLUE JAYS vs. TEXAS RANGERS

Date: May 1, 1991
Place: Arlington Stadium (Arlington, TX)
Original Broadcast: Canadian Broadcasting Corporation
Announcers: Don Chevrier and Tommy Hutton

NolanRyan.jpg

From Walter Johnson and Bob Feller to Bob Gibson and Randy Johnson, Major League Baseball has had its share of dominant, pure power pitchers. Yet, no pitcher was able to sustain his explosive power better or for a longer period of time than did Nolan Ryan. When he was at his best, The Ryan Express was literally unhittable. With a withering fastball that could consistently exceed 100 mph, and a vicious, sharply-breaking curveball that he could control on command, Ryan simply overwhelmed and overmatched hitters. The only pitcher in Major League Baseball history to throw more than four no-hitters, Ryan’s seven no-hitters, twelve one-hitters, and 5,714 strikeouts are a testament to his career dominance. On the night of May 1, 1991, at the age of 44, Ryan would face a potent Toronto Blue Jays lineup, whose core of Joe Carter, Kelly Gruber, Devon White, and Roberto Alomar would go on to win the next two world championships. Armed that night with a lively, tailing fastball and a biting slider, Ryan shut down the Blue Jays while orchestrating the final masterpiece of his Hall-of-Fame career - his seventh no-hit, no-run classic.

Rezn8

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

THE MIRACLE AT CHAVEZ RAVINE
Date: October 15, 1988
Place: Dodger Stadium (Los Angeles, CA)
Original Broadcast: NBC
Announcers: Vin Scully & Joe Garagiola

KirkGibson-a-1.jpg

DennisEckersley-b.jpg
DENNIS ECKERSLEY

KiekGibson-c.jpg
KIRK GIBSON

The 1988 World Series was supposed to be nothing more than a coronation. The Oakland Athletics of 1988 fielded one of the most powerful teams (literally) in baseball history. With a lineup featuring Mark McGwire (6'5" 215), Jose Canseco (6'3" 210), Dave Parker (6'5" 230), Dave Henderson (6'3" 215) and Don Baylor (6'2" 210), the A’s had size that more resembled an Oakland Raiders team than a Major League Baseball unit. Along with their devastating offense, the A’s also boasted one of the best pitching staffs in all of baseball. With a starting rotation led by 20-game winner and Cy Young finalist Dave Stewart (20-13), Bob Welch (17-9), and Storm Davis (16-7), and a bullpen featuring All-Star left-hander Rick Honeycutt and future Hall-of-Famer Dennis Eckersley, one of the most dominant closers of all time, the 1988 A’s had no apparent weaknesses. The only question about the 1988 World Series for most observers was not who would win, but whether or not the A’s would win in a four-game sweep. The only mitigating factor in this scenario, however, turned out to be the Los Angeles Dodgers. Led by the passionate play of 1988 National League MVP Kirk Gibson, the record-breaking pitching of 1988 NL Cy Young Award Winner Orel Hershiser, and not much else in the way of talent, the Dodgers came out of nowhere to win the NL West and to upset the heavily favored New York Mets in the NLCS. Yet, most Dodger hopes for being competitive in the World Series were dashed when team leader Gibson badly injured both of his legs during the last two games of the NL playoffs. As his team faced defeat in the all-important first game of the series, the injured Gibson summoned up the strength to make his one and only appearance of the 1988 World Series to face the usually unhittable Dennis Eckersley as a ninth inning pinch-hitter. In what would become a confrontation for the ages, with one swing of his bat, Gibson proved once and for all that miracles actually can happen.

Rezn8

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
THE GREATEST PLAYERS IN MLB HISTORY -
THE RANKINGS

Probably the best data available on the careers of major league players can be found in The Baseball Abstract by Bill James. Using some of his data, along with my own knowledge of history and what I’ve observed with my own eyes, I thought it would be interesting to take a position-by-position look at the greatest players of all time. There is a group of 20 players who generally show up on virtually every best-of-all-time list. Yet, I have my own personal top 10 that differs a great deal from the usual list. My criteria, for example, differs from the average baseball historian in that I put more emphasis on defense and all-around play than on offensive production, which seems to be the paramount factor in most player ratings. Also, my list will include players from the Negro Leagues, where most lists only include players from Major League Baseball. So here's my first list - and if you know the game, vigorous debate is welcomed!!

LEFT FIELDERS
THE USUAL TOP 20
(Alphabetically Ordered; Years as a player in parenthesis; African-American players listed in red.)

Albert Belle (1989-2000)
Barry Bonds (1986-2007)
Lou Brock (1961-1979)
Jesse Burkett (1890-1905)
Ed Delahanty (1888-1903)
Rickey Henderson (1979-2003)
Pete Hill (Negro Leagues)(1899-1926)
Monte Irvin (1949-1956)
Joe Jackson (1908-1920)
Ralph Kiner (1946-1955)
Joe Medwick (1932-1948)
Stan Musial (1941-1963)
Tim Raines, Sr. (1979-2002)
Manny Ramirez (1993-2011)
Jim Rice (1975-1989)
Al Simmons (1924-1944)
Willie Stargell (1962-1982)
Billy Williams (1961-1976)
Ted Williams (1939-1960)
Carl Yastrzemski (1961-1983)

#10. ALBERT BELLE

AlbertBelle-b.jpg

He was moody, surly, and EXTREMELY un-media-friendly. Yet, his career numbers can't be denied. While his temperament may keep him out of the Hall of Fame, it won't keep him off of my list as one of the 10 greatest left fielders of all time. One of the greatest offensive threats of the 1990's, Belle was also a much better defender than given credit for. While he never got along with the media, by all accounts, he was a great team player who was well respected by teammates. Though he obviously had issues off the field, what he brought between the lines was enough to make my list.

#9. TIM RAINES

TimRaines.jpg

One of the top five base stealers of all time, and one of the most underrated players in history, Tim Raines' primary crime was appearing on the scene at virtually the same time as Rickey Henderson, the player he most closely matches. Tim Raines could do it all. With the exception of power hitting, Raines excelled in every other area of the game. An outstanding run producer, Raines’ speed, consistent hitting, and ability to disrupt the opposition was second only to Henderson, and he was a solid defender who could cover considerable ground in the outfield. He won't appear on any top 10 list yet, but once he gets his election into the Hall of Fame (which I believe he will soon) his stature will rise in the years to come.

#8. BILLY WILLIAMS

BillyWilliams.jpg

Another of history's most underrated players, Billy Williams was one of the National League's best hitters during the 1960's, and one of the most durable players of all time. Blessed with one of the most beautiful swings in history, Williams hit 426 home runs and was a lethal combination of power and contact hitting. Defensively, he was one of the best left fielders of his era, and was rarely out of the lineup. From 1962 to 1971, he played in over 1,100 consecutive games, which was a National League record for a number of years. Williams was elected into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1987.

#7. AL SIMMONS

AlSimmons.jpg

Al Simmons was one of the American League's 10 greatest hitters during the first half of the 20th Century. He was one of several Hall of Fame players who anchored the Philadelphia Athletics' dynasty of the late 1920's and early 1930's. Most historians rank him higher than I do, largely due to his offensive numbers. My lack of knowledge about his defensive skills keep him from being high on my list, but his offensive numbers cannot be denied, and earn him a place on my top 10. Simmons was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1953.

#6. MONTE IRVIN

MonteIrvin.jpg

Since most historians only count his years in the Major Leagues, Monte Irvin usually doesn't rank higher on most all time lists. However, when his Negro League records are included in the total picture, it's obvious how dominant a player he was. An outstanding defender who could hit for average or power, Monte Irvin was considered the best player in the latter years of the Negro Leagues, and was the player most Negro Leaguers thought would break the Major League color line. Though he came to the Majors at an advanced age, he still had enough years of dominant play to be included on most all-time lists for left fielders. And when all is considered, he was undoubtedly one of the 10 best of all time. Irvin was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1973.

#5. CARL YASTRZEMSKI

CarlYastrzemski.jpg

Faced with replacing an all-time legend (Ted Williams), Carl Yastrzemski was a dominant player almost from the very beginning. The second in a string of three straight Red Sox Hall of Fame left fielders (falling between Ted Williams and Jim Rice), Yaz was a fierce competitor, an excellent defensive player, had a strong arm, and was a master at playing the unpredictable caroms off the Green Monster in Fenway Park. He was also the last player in Major League history to win the Triple Crown when he virtually won the 1967 American League pennant for the Red Sox all by himself. Yastrzemski was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1989.

#4. TED WILLIAMS

TedWilliams.jpg

Okay, here's where it would get hairy for me if this list were widely known. On most lists of left fielders, Ted Williams is listed in the # 1 slot, and on lists of the greatest players of all time, he is usually a top 10 pick. This doesn't fly in my world. Because he was probably the greatest hitter in the history of baseball, he has to rank high on any list, and he's even relatively high on mine. HOWEVER, when evaluating the worth of a player, I place a HUGE premium on versatility and all-around play, and the honest truth is that Ted Williams could only beat you one way and one way only - and that was at the plate. It is widely known that he cared little if anything about playing the field, to the point of being seen numerous times practicing his swing between pitches when he should have been concentrating on his outfield responsibilities. He had little speed, so he couldn't beat you on the base paths. He could only hurt you with the bat. BUT, his offensive numbers are so far off the charts, he simply can't be left off of any respectable list. A lifetime 344 hitter, and the winner of six American League batting championships, his offense was absolutely murderous, and it was murderous for a loooong time. Factor in the five full seasons he missed due to wartime service as a fighter pilot, and the already devastating numbers he put up get even sicker. Because he was arguably the greatest offensive player in history, combined with the fact that he wasn't an outright butcher in the field, Ted Williams ranks number 4 on my list. He was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1966.

#3. STAN MUSIAL

StanMusial.jpg

Once again, here's another difficult choice that would make me very unpopular with the masses. On most lists of the greatest left fielders of all time, Stan Musial usually goes into the # 2 slot behind Ted Williams, and largely for the same reasons. While Ted Williams was undoubtedly the greatest hitter of his era, Stan Musial was right on his heels. A seven-time National League batting champion, and the National League's all-time greatest left-handed hitter, Musial was almost the equal of Williams offensively. His only slight offensive weakness (if you can call it that) was that he was not a pure power hitter. Yet, his 475 home runs nearly got him into the elite rare air of the 500 home run club. What separates Musial from Williams was his willingness to be a complete player, and from all accounts, he was a solid defensive player. While he couldn't help his team with speed, he was a contributor both offensively and defensively, which ranks him high on my list. he was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1969. However, his lack of speed on offense and defense brings him down from the number 2 slot on my list, which leads me to............................................................................

#2. RICKEY HENDERSON

RickeyHenderson.jpg

His huge ego and his hot-dogging ways made him unpopular with the media and with a lot of baseball purists. But, a close examination of the numbers he put up shows just what a MONSTER this guy truly was. The greatest leadoff hitter of all time. The greatest run scorer of all time. The greatest base stealer of all time. More leadoff home runs than any player in baseball history. Rickey Henderson goes down with Babe Ruth and Ted Williams as one of the greatest run producers of all time. The only non-power hitter to rank in the top 10 (2nd) on the all-time walks list, along with his high level hitting ability is a testament to his ability to consistently get on base. And once he got on base, no player in the history of baseball was a more disruptive force. Along with the speed that he brought to bear on offense, it also served him well defensively. A strong defender and a Gold Glove winner, Henderson was an all-around great player, and though he doesn't rank high on most all-time lists for left fielders, he's number 2 on my list, and one of the 15 greatest players in the history of baseball, in my estimation.

#1. BARRY BONDS

BarryBonds.jpg

He was spoiled, arrogant, surly, and needlessly petulant. He was a jackass to fans, an asshole to the media, and hated by many of his teammates. Yet, when he was at his peak, no one was his equal. As the picture I used for him indicates, my focus is on the Barry Bonds who depended on his own talents, and not the benefits that could be gained from the end of a needle. My consideration of his records end with the 1998 season, the year when he admittedly decided to join the cheaters circle the following season. Yet, what he accomplished in the 13 years prior to his descent was enough to make him the greatest left fielder of all time, and to place him among the elite of the greatest players in the history of the game. Possibly the best offensive combination of speed and power since his godfather, Willie Mays, Bonds did everything at the highest level. He was the quintessential "five-tool" player who could hit for average, hit with power, field, run, and throw. There was nothing on the field that he could not do. With his speed, he covered more ground than virtually every other left fielder in history, and he was often spectacular with the glove. His only flaw was a lack of production when the money was on the table. One of the most disappointing players in post-season history, he righted some of those wrongs with his performance in the 2002 World Series. Yet, this improvement came after his decision to reside in Steroid City. Yet, when his career is viewed in total, and viewed with cold objectivity, it can't be denied that the pre-steroid Barry Bonds was as good as it got. And no one can take that away from him.

*** Most lists of the greatest left fielders of all time include Pete Rose. But because he played for an extended time at so many other positions, I will include Rose on another later list. Comments, complaints, arguments? All opinions are welcome!!