Worst Decisions In Boxing History

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
By all accounts, the Pacquiao-Bradley decision Saturday night was a farce. The usual cries of fraud and corruption ensued, but let's not pretend to be shocked. Bogus decisions come with the territory in this sport. In fact, the case could be made that the controversy is an attraction. It certainly provoked conversation, among other things.

Here are five notable puzzlers:

5. Oscar De La Hoya-Felix Trinidad

Trinidad won a majority decision with two judges siding with him and another scoring it a draw. De La Hoya hurt his own case by coasting the final few rounds after building up a lead on the scorecards, but the stats backed up his argument. Trinidad landed 166 of 462 punches while De La Hoya landed 263 of 648, and the so-called power punches were practically even.

4. Joe Louis-Jersey Joe Walcott
Walcott (left) knocked down Louis, the champ, in the first round and again in the fourth. It wasn't enough as Louis took a split decision. The outcry in the press prompted a rematch, in which Walcott continued to fare well until Louis rallied for a knockout.

3. Pernell Whitaker-Julio Cesar Chavez
This was officially ruled a draw as two judges scored the fight even while one gave the nod to Whitaker. Sports Illustrated responded with a one-word headline on its cover: "Robbed!" Some observers, including SI, had Whitaker winning nine of the 12 rounds.

2. Manny Pacquiao-Timothy Bradley
Two judges scored it 115-113 for Bradley while Pacquaio came out ahead on the third card by the same count. But many reporters, including those for Yahoo! and AP, had it as lopsided as 117-111 for Pacquiao.

1. Roy Jones Jr.- Park Si-Hun
This match was for a gold medal at the 1988 Olympics in Seoul, and Park got the benefit of more than just home cooking. Jones landed 86 punches. Park managed 32. But Park received a 3-2 decision. One judge claimed he sided with Park even though it had been a one-sided affair because he felt bad about the local kid being shut out in the final. But with two others making the same bizarre call, allegations of outright bribery followed, and the Olympics was forced to change its scoring system.

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
5 should be removed. DLH was winning the fight but he literally ran that last 3 rounds. He deserved to get that taken away from him. He refused to box the last 3 rounds...that shit waws shameful.That wasnt really a robber. DLH vs Pernell Whitaker was a robbery.

P03t

Rising Star
OG Investor
5 should be removed. DLH was winning the fight but he literally ran that last 3 rounds. He deserved to get that taken away from him. He refused to box the last 3 rounds...that shit waws shameful.That wasnt really a robber. DLH vs Pernell Whitaker was a robbery.

agreed...DLH had his running sneakers on those last few rounds :lol:

RJJ #1 :yes::smh:...RJJ was in tears after that lost....even his opponent knew he lost & tried to console RJJ after that bullshit decision

check out this short Documentary out

tp2001

Star
Registered

To this day I still can't find Oscar winning 5 rounds in that fight...To top that off, I'm being generous

STAR-69

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Re: àâèà áèëåòû ñ&

Pacquiao vs Bradley shouldn't be on that list, the fight was close than you think, the judges didn't fell for Pacman lazyness, i.e Bradley was controlling 2/3 of the round with his jab, then Pacman woke up and wobble him, but he only won 1/3 of the rounds...

P03t

Rising Star
OG Investor

Pacquiao vs Bradley shouldn't be on that list, the fight was close than you think, the judges didn't fell for Pacman lazyness, i.e Bradley was controlling 2/3 of the round with his jab, then Pacman woke up and wobble him, but he only won 1/3 of the rounds...

Pac was dominating the fight...Bradley never dominated that fight like Pac...dude was struggling with Pacs Straight left almost the whole fight

& was visibly hurt multiple times...if you were in the ring fighting which fighter would you want to be Bradley or Pac?

I gave Bradley 2 maybe 3 rds...he doesn't have the skills for a guy like Pac it was clearly obvious...that was a robbery

115-113 for Bradley was a joke :smh::lol:

sport steadily going downhill now :smh:...1 foot forward 2 steps back

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered

Pac was dominating the fight...Bradley never dominated that fight like Pac...dude was struggling with Pacs Straight left almost the whole fight

& was visibly hurt multiple times...if you were in the ring fighting which fighter would you want to be Bradley or Pac?

I gave Bradley 2 maybe 3 rds...he doesn't have the skills for a guy like Pac it was clearly obvious...that was a robbery

:yes: but at the same time :smh:

STAR-69

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

First of all Bradley had a broken foot, I'm not saying he's better than Pac but he's not a chump either!!!

And I'm not a judging expert, but if a guy throws 100 light jabs and lands 50, and the other throws 50 and lands 10 strong punches, who should the round go to??? I actually don't know, but sometimes Bradley looked more busy than Pac even the HBO broadcasters said Pac was taking portion of some round off, Because Bradley wasn't doing much damage...

P03t

Rising Star
OG Investor

First of all Bradley had a broken foot, I'm not saying he's better than Pac but he's not a chump either!!!

And I'm not a judging expert, but if a guy throws 100 light jabs and lands 50, and the other throws 50 and lands 10 strong punches, who should the round go to??? I actually don't know, but sometimes Bradley looked more busy than Pac even the HBO broadcasters said Pac was taking portion of some round off, Because Bradley wasn't doing much damage...

he was busy with no power he wasn't hurting Pac at all...while Pac was hurting him with his punches...he visibly had him (Bradley) hurt more than once you can't say the same for Pac....

broken foot or not....he had no business in there with Pac

Pipe

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This is the issue, and it doesn't just happen with Pac, it happens with most fighters who get to Pac's level:

When you look at Pac (or Floyd, for that matter), you cannot help but bring with you a preconceived expectation of what he is supposed to accomplish in the ring that night, simply because of what you have seen him do in the past. If he does not live up to that expectation, either because he is having an off night, he's getting old, or simply because his opponent is better than expected, then you actually take points AWAY from Pac because he is not living up to your current expectations:

Here is why that is wrong:

A fighter's past has absolutely NO relevance in the current fight that you are judging. Whether you think that he could have done better or not should not mean a thing, because you are supposed to forget everything that you know about a fighter up to that point when you judge them on fight night. That is the only way to be objective.

Every person that I listened to talk about why they think Bradley won mentioned two things:

1. Pac did not do as well as they expected.
2. Bradley did better than expected.

While these things may be true, the fact is that they have absolutely NO relevance when it comes to the scoring of the rounds, because it is IMPOSSIBLE TO JUDGE ANYTHING OBJECTIVELY IF YOU HAVE A PRE-DEVELOPED EXPECTATION OF THE OUTCOME. That holds true for boxing, the courtroom, etc. The people that had Bradley winning were not scoring Bradley against Pac, the were scoring 2008 Pac against 2012 Pac, which is not fair for any boxer.

Bradley spent half of the fight successfully trying to avoid Pac's onslaught, and the other half UNsuccessfully trying to be aggressor. At no point was Bradley in control, and at no point was Pac's position threatened. It does not matter who is fighting, in a situation like that, the fight gets awarded to whoever came closest to conquering their opponent without being conquered themselves, and that was CLEARLY Pacquiao.

GetThat$$$

wannabe star
Registered

^^^^this

Niggas thinking Pacs flurries where he misses 75% of the punches is gonna win the fight. I think he did win but not by much

GetThat$$$

wannabe star
Registered

:hmm:

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/riSEb-hdq8M?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/riSEb-hdq8M?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

And :lol: @ you can't win a fight with a jab. Ive seen cats win a fight with a broken hand so all they had was a Jab, hook, or an uppercut. Bradley tee'd off on Manny's ass with the jab. Bradley did have a broken foot and no power, he was in trouble when he hurt his foot, but niggas acted like Manny dominated dude and I didn't see that at all. If Bradley HAD enough power then I think people would be talking a lot different about what they perceived of this fight

And moving your feet while slipping punches isn't running, its called "footwork" or "defense". Bradley was even rolling with some punches and HBO/the crowd was getting extra hyped like it was a clean hit. They did the same shit with the Marquez fight.

So what do you think phantom punches + getting stuck with jabs all night + badly missing + taking rounds off = ???

A fatass "L" to me

GetThat$$$

wannabe star
Registered

This guy supported Pac a little more than the other guy, gave a couple more Pac's phantom punches more credit, but more importantly showed how the refs probably scored the round. In my opinion, Bradley won the round, he gave it to Pac and It was closer than people perceived it to be. No way in hell Pac won this round to me.

P03t

Rising Star
OG Investor

:hmm:

And :lol: @ you can't win a fight with a jab. Ive seen cats win a fight with a broken hand so all they had was a Jab, hook, or an uppercut. Bradley tee'd off on Manny's ass with the jab. Bradley did have a broken foot and no power, he was in trouble when he hurt his foot, but niggas acted like Manny dominated dude and I didn't see that at all. If Bradley HAD enough power then I think people would be talking a lot different about what they perceived of this fight

And moving your feet while slipping punches isn't running, its called "footwork" or "defense". Bradley was even rolling with some punches and HBO/the crowd was getting extra hyped like it was a clean hit. They did the same shit with the Marquez fight.

So what do you think phantom punches + getting stuck with jabs all night + badly missing + taking rounds off = ???

A fatass "L" to me

I don't need commentary to tell me who won...Pac won off power punching alone...your jab better be like Liston or Wladimir to win a fight

his jab does not stop his opponent or dictate the fight....he was hurt multiple times by Pac why cats over looking that?

did he even hurt Pac at all...NO

why is this a debate?

every credible analyst...former Hall Of Fame Boxers & trainers, fans know what we saw...so I guess we all are delusional huh :lol::rolleyes:

you want Bradley to win that fight...fine...but don't try to convince me he won...

Last edited:

P03t

Rising Star
OG Investor
CompuBox:

Pacquiao landed 253 of 751 punches for a 34 percent accuracy rate; Bradley landed 159 of 839 for only 19 percent.

Pac-Man struck with 190 of 493 power punches thrown for 39 percent; Desert Storm hit with 108 of 390 for 28 percent.

Jabs:
Pac 63/258
Bradley 51/449

yep Bradley won :smh::lol:...even on paper he lost...& was hurt by Pac more than once.

Last edited:

GetThat$$$

wannabe star
Registered
CompuBox:

Pacquiao landed 253 of 751 punches for a 34 percent accuracy rate; Bradley landed 159 of 839 for only 19 percent.

Pac-Man struck with 190 of 493 power punches thrown for 39 percent; Desert Storm hit with 108 of 390 for 28 percent.

Jabs:
Pac 63/258
Bradley 51/449

yep Bradley won :smh::lol:...even on paper he lost...& was hurt by Pac more than once.

You obviously didn't watch the vid where it showed Manny missing punches and they're counting them as hits or power punches. I don't care what Compubox says, Manny did not connect with that many punches. And I said the same thing after the Marquez fight. Look at Bradleys face and tell me he landed that many punches on that dude.

GetThat$$$

wannabe star
Registered

I don't need commentary to tell me who won...Pac won off power punching alone...your jab better be like Liston or Wladimir to win a fight

his jab does not stop his opponent or dictate the fight....he was hurt multiple times by Pac why cats over looking that?

did he even hurt Pac at all...NO

why is this a debate?

every credible analyst...former Hall Of Fame Boxers & trainers, fans know what we saw...so I guess we all are delusional huh :lol::rolleyes:

you want Bradley to win that fight...fine...but don't try to convince me he won...

Did Pac hurt Bradley...i don't really think so

Doesn't really matter what anyone else says, you can watch the fight in slow motion to tell who did what. Like I said before, Manny lost the fight himself by taking rounds off only to flurry and miss MOST of the shots in the fight. He COULD'VE dominated if he had stayed busier...easily, but he didn't.

Bradley stayed busy, jabbed, beautiful slips, ate Pacs BEST shots without barely a scratch, and didn't take a round off. Some people who regularly watch boxing might say he was the winner. I can see why. The debate is that you can take two minutes off and flurry in the end to try and steal the round instead of boxing and cats is cool with that

Last edited:

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
Did Pac hurt Bradley...i don't really think so

The debate is that you can take two minutes off and flurry in the end to try and steal the round instead of boxing and cats is cool with that

I saw dude getting wobbled by a few shots, but to the main point... I'm not cool with a cat taking off two minutes. The fight was ass because Manny did that shit. When Manny turned it on... it was a different fight. In at least 8 rounds, Manny did enough to negate his lazy fighting and what Bradley was doing. Manny put on a terrible performance and I didn't see anything that Bradley did to force that out of Manny. I looked for every reason to give Bradley the fight this last time I watched it, because I thought maybe I was bugging, but that bullshit Pac did still won him the fight in my eyes.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
I saw dude getting wobbled by a few shots, but to the main point... I'm not cool with a cat taking off two minutes. The fight was ass because Manny did that shit. When Manny turned it on... it was a different fight. In at least 8 rounds, Manny did enough to negate his lazy fighting and what Bradley was doing. Manny put on a terrible performance and I didn't see anything that Bradley did to force that out of Manny. I looked for every reason to give Bradley the fight this last time I watched it, because I thought maybe I was bugging, but that bullshit Pac did still won him the fight in my eyes.

That drives me crazy too and it looked like Manny did that several rounds. Either he thought he had it in the bag or he's running out of gas with the possibility of mixture of both.

GetThat$$$

wannabe star
Registered

And you know what man, I'm cool with that opinion. I don't think it was no means a shut out and I don't care how he looked in the last 45-30 seconds of a fight if the other guy was winning the first 2 minutes. Thats why I said I can see how some judges GAVE it to Bradley, it puts them in a tough decision. Some of those rounds could've went either way. I still think that Manny gave the fight away more so than Bradley took it from him but Bradley did not get the credit he deserved for the work he put in.

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

You can't win a fight with a damn jab.:smh:

bradley_overhand.gif

will_right

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

:cmonson:

Corben

wannabe star
Registered
You obviously didn't watch the vid where it showed Manny missing punches and they're counting them as hits or power punches. I don't care what Compubox says, Manny did not connect with that many punches. And I said the same thing after the Marquez fight. Look at Bradleys face and tell me he landed that many punches on that dude.
That was a great fight!

Last edited: