Rising Star
Super Moderator
Women's March on Washington
set to be one of America's biggest protests

Pink hats will be much in evidence as an extraordinarily
wide range of groups come together to repudiate
President Trump the day after his inauguration

5421.jpg

Tamika Mallory, right, co-chair of the Women’s March on Washington, talks alongside fellow co-
chairs Carmen Perez, left, and Linda Sarsour, in New York. Photograph: Mark Lennihan/AP

It began as a spontaneous feminist rallying cry via social media. It has morphed into what is expected to be one of the largest demonstrations in American history – a boisterous march about a smorgasbord of progressive issues, and an extraordinary display of dissent on a president’s first day in office peppered with knit pink hats.

Before the bunting and barriers are even cleared away from Friday’s inauguration of Donald Trump, hundreds of thousands are likely to attend the Women’s March on Washington the following day, 21 January.

“A march of this magnitude, across this diversity of issues has never happened before,” said Kaylin Whittingham, president of the association of black women attorneys. “We all have to stand together as a force no one can ignore.”

The Women’s March now has almost 200 progressive groups, large and small, signing on as supporting partners. The issues they represent are as varied as theenvironment, legal abortion, prisoners’ rights, voting rights, a free press, affordable healthcare, gun safety, racial and gender equality and a higher minimum wage. Men are invited.

More than 300 simultaneous local protests will also occur, across all 50 states, and support marches are planned in 30 other countries, organizer Linda Sarsour said.

“We have no choice. We need to stand up against an administration that threatens everything we believe in, in what we hope will become one of the largest grassroots, progressive movements ever seen,” said Sarsour.

June Barrett, a domestic worker in Florida, was spurred to travel from Miami to Washington by Trump’s leaked audio tape in which he boasted of accosting women and “grabbing them by the pussy”.

She had been sexually assaulted by an elderly man in her professional care who grabbed her genitals, she said.

“When that tape came out, I went into a bit of a depression. And I’ve had to walk away from my Baptist church after they were strongly guiding us to vote for Trump and Mike Pence. It’s shaken my whole faith. I have to march against this hate,” said Barrett.

She moved to Florida from Jamaica in 2001.

“I’m a black woman, I’m queer, I’m an immigrant and everything that’s going to happen under Trump and Pence is going to affect me, perhaps adversely. It breaks my heart that so many women voted for them,” she said, referring to results that showed, among other things, that a majority of white women voted for the Republican ticket.

The Women’s March on Washington was conceived on 9 November. Teresa Shook, a retired lawyer in Hawaii, reacting to Trump’s shock win and his comments and actions related to women, posted on Facebook suggesting a protest timed around Trump’s inauguration. The message ended up on Pantsuit Nation, one of the invitation-only Facebook support groups lauded by Hillary Clinton in her concession speech.

Support surged overnight. But there was also an outcry because it was being seen as predominantly a white event.

It was also briefly known as the Million Women March, which sparked some anger because of its echoes of the Million Man March, in Washington in 1995, and the Million Woman March, in Philadelphia in 1997, both organized as predominantly African American demonstrations to protest against racism.

Changes were quickly made to the latest event.

“The presidential election was on the Tuesday and I came in on the Friday,” said Sarsour, who is also a civil rights activist in New York and an Arab American with Palestinian roots.

Gun control campaigner Tamika Mallory, who is black, and Carmen Perez, a Latina and civil rights worker also joined the leadership team, alongside female New York fashion designer Bob Bland.

“Some people think we are tokens, but I’m not just a pretty Muslim face – we’re leading this together,” said Sarsour, who is in charge of fundraising.

Many other grassroots efforts have emerged in the planning of the march. Among the most popular is an initiative to hand-knit pink “pussyhats” that thousands of attendees are expected to wear.

Larry Sabato, director of the center for politics at the University of Virginia, cited anti-Vietnam war demonstrations and civil rights-era protests that attracted crowds up to half a million as among the most prominent in US history – so far.

“It’s never happened that so many people have gathered in opposition to the new administration on day one,” said Sarsour. “Will it be the largest US mass mobilization ever? I’ll be able to tell you on January 22.”

Celebrities slated to attend include Scarlett Johansson, America Ferrera, Uzo Aduba, Zendaya, Katy Perry and Cher.

Thanu Yakupitiyage, spokeswoman for the advocacy group and march partner, the New York Immigration Coalition, is marching not just for immigrants’ rights but for women’s equality, fair police reforms and healthcare protection, she said.

“A lot of immigrant communities were scared by Trump’s vitriolic messages. Some who are undocumented or insecure may be afraid to march in Washington,” she said.

Colleen Flanagan will have to navigate her wheelchair amid seething masses of marching women.

“I may not be marching but I will personally be rolling in Washington – for all women,” said Flanagan, a Boston-based consultant on policy for the disabled.

Of Trump’s astonishing actions in mocking a disabled reporter, on camera, during the campaign, Flanagan said: “Such bullying just turns into wider discrimination in society.”

Following its rapid expansion in scale and scope, the march organizers on Thursday published the event’s new set of “unity principles”.

“It adds up to a comprehensive call for social justice and equal rights,” said Jessica Neuwirth, a human rights lawyer and president of a leading partner group, the Equal Rights Amendment Coalition.

Some progressives are still shunning the event, with reports both of white women feeling excluded by talk of race relations, and minority women citing privileged whites acknowledging too little, too late their struggle against chronic class and race discrimination.

But Jon O’Brien, who will attend the march as president of event partner Catholics For Choice, said the march is about “true solidarity”.

“There will be all kinds of people there,” he said. “White, black, LGBT, straight, Democrat, moderate Republican, rich, poor – in other words, America.”

SOURCE: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jan/14/womens-march-on-washington-protest-size-donald-trump

desideratum

Potential Star
Registered
Women's March on Washington
set to be one of America's biggest protests

Pink hats will be much in evidence as an extraordinarily
wide range of groups come together to repudiate
President Trump the day after his inauguration

5421.jpg

Tamika Mallory, right, co-chair of the Women’s March on Washington, talks alongside fellow co-
chairs Carmen Perez, left, and Linda Sarsour, in New York. Photograph: Mark Lennihan/AP

It began as a spontaneous feminist rallying cry via social media. It has morphed into what is expected to be one of the largest demonstrations in American history – a boisterous march about a smorgasbord of progressive issues, and an extraordinary display of dissent on a president’s first day in office peppered with knit pink hats.

Before the bunting and barriers are even cleared away from Friday’s inauguration of Donald Trump, hundreds of thousands are likely to attend the Women’s March on Washington the following day, 21 January.

“A march of this magnitude, across this diversity of issues has never happened before,” said Kaylin Whittingham, president of the association of black women attorneys. “We all have to stand together as a force no one can ignore.”

The Women’s March now has almost 200 progressive groups, large and small, signing on as supporting partners. The issues they represent are as varied as theenvironment, legal abortion, prisoners’ rights, voting rights, a free press, affordable healthcare, gun safety, racial and gender equality and a higher minimum wage. Men are invited.

More than 300 simultaneous local protests will also occur, across all 50 states, and support marches are planned in 30 other countries, organizer Linda Sarsour said.

“We have no choice. We need to stand up against an administration that threatens everything we believe in, in what we hope will become one of the largest grassroots, progressive movements ever seen,” said Sarsour.

June Barrett, a domestic worker in Florida, was spurred to travel from Miami to Washington by Trump’s leaked audio tape in which he boasted of accosting women and “grabbing them by the pussy”.

She had been sexually assaulted by an elderly man in her professional care who grabbed her genitals, she said.

“When that tape came out, I went into a bit of a depression. And I’ve had to walk away from my Baptist church after they were strongly guiding us to vote for Trump and Mike Pence. It’s shaken my whole faith. I have to march against this hate,” said Barrett.

She moved to Florida from Jamaica in 2001.

“I’m a black woman, I’m queer, I’m an immigrant and everything that’s going to happen under Trump and Pence is going to affect me, perhaps adversely. It breaks my heart that so many women voted for them,” she said, referring to results that showed, among other things, that a majority of white women voted for the Republican ticket.

The Women’s March on Washington was conceived on 9 November. Teresa Shook, a retired lawyer in Hawaii, reacting to Trump’s shock win and his comments and actions related to women, posted on Facebook suggesting a protest timed around Trump’s inauguration. The message ended up on Pantsuit Nation, one of the invitation-only Facebook support groups lauded by Hillary Clinton in her concession speech.

Support surged overnight. But there was also an outcry because it was being seen as predominantly a white event.

It was also briefly known as the Million Women March, which sparked some anger because of its echoes of the Million Man March, in Washington in 1995, and the Million Woman March, in Philadelphia in 1997, both organized as predominantly African American demonstrations to protest against racism.

Changes were quickly made to the latest event.

“The presidential election was on the Tuesday and I came in on the Friday,” said Sarsour, who is also a civil rights activist in New York and an Arab American with Palestinian roots.

Gun control campaigner Tamika Mallory, who is black, and Carmen Perez, a Latina and civil rights worker also joined the leadership team, alongside female New York fashion designer Bob Bland.

“Some people think we are tokens, but I’m not just a pretty Muslim face – we’re leading this together,” said Sarsour, who is in charge of fundraising.

Many other grassroots efforts have emerged in the planning of the march. Among the most popular is an initiative to hand-knit pink “pussyhats” that thousands of attendees are expected to wear.

Larry Sabato, director of the center for politics at the University of Virginia, cited anti-Vietnam war demonstrations and civil rights-era protests that attracted crowds up to half a million as among the most prominent in US history – so far.

“It’s never happened that so many people have gathered in opposition to the new administration on day one,” said Sarsour. “Will it be the largest US mass mobilization ever? I’ll be able to tell you on January 22.”

Celebrities slated to attend include Scarlett Johansson, America Ferrera, Uzo Aduba, Zendaya, Katy Perry and Cher.

Thanu Yakupitiyage, spokeswoman for the advocacy group and march partner, the New York Immigration Coalition, is marching not just for immigrants’ rights but for women’s equality, fair police reforms and healthcare protection, she said.

“A lot of immigrant communities were scared by Trump’s vitriolic messages. Some who are undocumented or insecure may be afraid to march in Washington,” she said.

Colleen Flanagan will have to navigate her wheelchair amid seething masses of marching women.

“I may not be marching but I will personally be rolling in Washington – for all women,” said Flanagan, a Boston-based consultant on policy for the disabled.

Of Trump’s astonishing actions in mocking a disabled reporter, on camera, during the campaign, Flanagan said: “Such bullying just turns into wider discrimination in society.”

Following its rapid expansion in scale and scope, the march organizers on Thursday published the event’s new set of “unity principles”.

“It adds up to a comprehensive call for social justice and equal rights,” said Jessica Neuwirth, a human rights lawyer and president of a leading partner group, the Equal Rights Amendment Coalition.

Some progressives are still shunning the event, with reports both of white women feeling excluded by talk of race relations, and minority women citing privileged whites acknowledging too little, too late their struggle against chronic class and race discrimination.

But Jon O’Brien, who will attend the march as president of event partner Catholics For Choice, said the march is about “true solidarity”.

“There will be all kinds of people there,” he said. “White, black, LGBT, straight, Democrat, moderate Republican, rich, poor – in other words, America.”

SOURCE: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jan/14/womens-march-on-washington-protest-size-donald-trump

These women will be marching for the right to abortions. To kill innocent babies, who heart beats after 18 days and in fact have a different DNA than the mother. Why on Earth would anyone march for the right kill babies. Planned Parenthood and the mothers believe the babies to be subhuman....now who else in history thought people to be subhuman and exterminated them....oh yeah i forgot, the Nazis. The Nazis thought the Jews were subhuman and destroyed them. This march is no different, they believe the babies to subhuman and want to destroy them. Classy. The unfortunate part is the majority of abortions are black babies and we do nothing about it....

MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator
The Women’s March, an anti-Trump protest, is now estimated
to be the Largest One-Day Protest in United States History

16107642_1082594671851191_721158875_o.png

President Trump wound up fulfilling his promise that his inauguration would break records, just probably not in the way he had in mind. The Women’s March, an anti-Trump protest aimed at standing up for women’s rights, is now estimated to be the largest one-day protest in United States history.

Based on numbers tallied by UConn professor Jeremy Pressman, the current total estimate of those who attended the marches (excluding those who demonstrated in other countries) sits between 3.2 million and 4.2 million. The numbers are only expected to increase as more accurate numbers pour in.

For context, here is how the Women’s March numbers stack up against some of America’s largest protests:

Martin Luther King’s March on Washington DC (1963), where he gave the historic “I Have a Dream” speech: 250,000

Anti-Vietnam war protest in Washington DC (1969) – 500,000-600,000

Anti-Nuclear March in NYC Central Park (1982) – 1 million

March on Washington DC for Lesbian, Gay, and Bi Equal Rights and Liberation (1993) – Between 800,000 and 1 million

Protest against the Iraq War in cities across America (2003) – 500,000

Women’s March in cities across America (2017) – 3.1 million.

Pressman’s up-to-date numbers can be found here.

US Uncut’s estimates can be found here. (Collaboration with District 13.)

MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator
Aziz Ansari praises Women's March, urges President Trump to denounce 'casual white supremacy' on 'Saturday Night Live'
BYNICOLE HENSLEY
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Sunday, January 22, 2017, 1:00 AM

Alec Baldwin absent from post-inauguration SNL

snl22n-8-web.jpg

Aziz Ansari delivered a lengthy monologue on "Saturday Night Live," where he noted that "change comes from large groups of angry people.”
(NBC)
“Islam is peace. The perpetrators of these attacks, they don’t represent Islam. They represent war and violence,” Ansari said, paraphrasing Bush’s Sept. 17, 2001, speech.

“16 years ago, I was certain this dude was a dildo,” Ansari added of Bush. “Now, I’m sitting there like, ‘he guided us with his eloquence.’ ”

Ansari, 33, assured that “change comes from large groups of angry people.”

50 PHOTOSVIEW GALLERY
Celebrities take part in the Women's March around the country

“If day one is any indication, you are part of the largest group of angry people I have ever seen,” Ansari added, referring to more than a million demonstrators thatpacked Washington D.C. for the Women’s Marchon Saturday.

NYC Women's March sets more than 400G protesters upon Trump Tower

The populous demonstration outnumbered Trump’s swearing-in ceremony on Friday, which White House spokesman Sean Spicerfalsely claimedhad “the largest audience to ever witness an inauguration.”

SNL used the disparity in numbers to pounce on Trump’s ego in the cold open.

snl22n-1-web.jpg

Beck Bennett returned to SNL as Vladimir Putin and assured the American people that the nation is not in hands of a unpredictable leader.
(NBC)
As of early Sunday, Trump had no tweets about the NBC sketch comedy on his personal and official POTUS handles.

The cartoonish impersonation of Trump by actor Alec Baldwinwas absent from the cold open, allowing SNL castmember Beck Bennett to reprise his role as Russian President Vladimir Putin in a “paid message from the Russian Federation.”

Half a million people show up for D.C. Women's March

"Many of you are scared, marching in the streets. You worry that your country is in the hands of this unpredictable man, but don't worry, it's not," Bennett said, as a shirtless Putin.

usa-trump-inauguration.jpg

Comparison shots of the National Mall show the crowds who attended the inauguration ceremonies for President Donald Trump on Friday versus President Barack Obama in 2009.
(LUCAS JACKSON, STELIOS VARIAS/REUTERS)
The show’s interpretation of the Russian leader nearly congratulated the President on record-breaking crowds at his inauguration, only to realize he confused the Women’s March for the sparsely populated mall.

“If you’re going to lie, don’t make it so obvious,” SNL’s Putin said. “Say that you are friends with Lebron James, not that you are Lebron James.”

He introduced Kate McKinnon as a “Russian woman” forced to sing Putin’s praises.

snl22n-11-web.jpg

Kate McKinnon portrays Kellyanne Conway, as Roxie Hart from the "Chicago" musical.
(NBC)
McKinnon, who depicted Trump’s Democratic rival Hillary Clinton during the campaign cycle, returned as Trump's bulldog aide Kellyanne Conway in a dazzling musical number.

The sketch show likened the former campaign manager to Roxie Hart, the woman suspected of killing her lover for fame in the Broadway musical “Chicago.”

“Who says that lying’s not an art,” McKinnon crooned, twisting the lyrics to reflect Conway's newly-found fame. “And when they Google just a “K,” my name will come up before Kanye.”

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Women’s March 2018

'Grab Him by the Mid-terms': Women's marches push power of the vote

Hundreds of thousands of marchers flooded streets across the country Saturday to criticize President Trump, vowing to protect women’s rights, the environment and American ideals of free speech, religious freedom and tolerance.

From Boston to Denver to Reno, and at the nation’s capital where Congress struggled to restart the federal government, marchers waved signs and chanted “This is what democracy looks like!” The marches, held in hundreds of cities and towns across the country, came a year after the inaugural Women’s March and Trump’s swearing in.

Wearing the now-familiar pink pussy hats — which this year were available in a rainbow of colors to be more inclusive to all races — women and their families promised to use their votes dto shift the course of American government during the mid-term elections this year.

Hopefully, we are going to stop Trump,” said Kidnay, of Wheat Ridge, Colo. “His disregard for women is what’s going to sweep Republicans out of power.”

In Denver, Betsy Kidnay, 56, carried a sign declaring that “women are the wall” as she marched with friends.

Hopefully, we are going to stop Trump,” said Kidnay, of Wheat Ridge, Colo. “His disregard for women is what’s going to sweep Republicans out of power.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...nniversary-washingotgn-march-retu/1050668001/

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator

Women's Marches draw large crowds on second day

January 21, 2018

Thousands of demonstrators filed into the Sam Boyd Stadium near Las Vegas on Sunday, the culmination of a weekend in which dozens of Women's Marches took place in cities across the United States. At each of them, attendees called for women's rights and equality while urging supporters and allies to make their voices heard by voting in this year's midterm elections.

The Las Vegas rally — expected to be the largest on Sunday — was the official anniversary rally of last year's Women's Mach in Washington, and was largely focused on using activism to generate concrete action at the ballot box.

"We have to march together, we have to organize together, we have to mobilize together and we have to vote together, even when we don't like one another," said Tamika Mallory, co-chairwoman of the national Women's March organization, in Las Vegas.

"We have the power to change every policy and make every elected official work for us, but they cannot see division among us, because they will go and do nothing for the people," she said. "We must stand up and be loud and be bold."

Sunday's marches were held one year from the day that hundreds of thousands of women, donning pink hats, took to the streets of Washington in a stunning display of resistance to President Donald Trump, whose administration many feared could threaten women's rights.

Besides Las Vegas, marches were schedule in Seattle, Miami, Phoenix and many other cities across the country and around the world.

The demonstrations came one day after hundreds of thousands of men, women and children took to the streets in Washington, New York, Philadelphia, Chicago, Denver, Los Angeles and other cities Saturday on the one-year anniversary of Trump's inauguration.

Marches weren't limited to the United States. Over the weekend, activists gathered in cities across Europe, including London on Sunday and Rome on Saturday.

#PowerToThePolls

Speakers at the national Women's March rally in Las Vegas turned their gaze on midterm electoral races in Nevada and other states.

"Today is about what we are really gonna do," said Cassady Fendlay, a spokeswoman and board member for the national Women's March organization, about the Las Vegas rally. "It's really about electoral engagement in 2018."

The national organization anticipates holding events similar to the one in Las Vegas in battleground states throughout the year as part of a national effort to energize female voters, said Fendlay.

Nevada was picked as the site of the official anniversary rally in part because of the upcoming races for the US Senate and the governor's office, Fendlay told CNN. It's also a state that has a strong showing of female politicians.

"Today, we march in the streets, then we march to vote, then we march into the halls of government — into statehouses, school boards and the US Congress," said Rep. Dina Titus, who serves the 1st Congressional District of Nevada, via video statement. "So much is at stake, and women can make the difference for our children, our Dreamers, our environment and our economy."

Cecile Richards, president of Planned Parenthood, celebrated the efforts of women of color in elections last year, while urging white women to recognize the role they have to play to help bring change to women of color and their communities.

"It is not up to women of color to save this country from itself. That's on all of us. That's on all of us," Richards told the crowd. "The good news is, when we're in full-on sisterhood, women are the most powerful political force in America."

Why they marched

Politics weren't the only thing on demonstrators' minds. The marches also coincided with the recent #MeToo and Time's Up movements against sexual assault and harassment. Carrying signs, demonstrators voiced their support for women's rights and equality and the cultural shift that has rocked numerous industries and communities in the past few months.

Rachel Baxa marched in Boise, Idaho, with her 2-year-old daughter Georgia in tow.

Baxa said she was motivated to march "by a myriad of things," including a certain "horrific phrase" said by the President.

"The fact that my daughter would grow up to be something that could be reduced to mere gruesome locker room talk by the type of man who could earn the presidency in this country. I was terrified," Baxa told CNN via Instagram. She said she herself had been sexualized and seen her ability to make choices about her body taken from her.

"I want to take steps to make it clear that subjecting my daughter to the same was not an option," she said. "This is her second march, it will not be her last."

Kari Whaley, 30, brought her 8-year-old son to Sunday's march in Orlando.

"I did not march last year," Whaley told CNN, but "I'm marching this year to empower women to go to the polls in this midterm election."

Ellen Bowen participated in her second march this year, also in Miami. But it was her first in the United States, she said. Last year, she was in Toronto "as I couldn't bear being in the USA on Inauguration Day."

Hollie S. Chambers marched in Miami, carrying a sign that said, "A woman's place is in the revolution!"

This year's march was Chambers' first, she told CNN via Instagram. "I recently moved to Florida from NJ," Chambers said, "and wanted to get started in advocacy in my new community."

Anna-Maria Watz joined the Women's March in Stockholm, Sweden, on Sunday. It was her first, she told CNN.

"I attended this year because 2017 really demonstrated that we need to speak up; raise our voices and opinions," the 45-year-old said, adding that the dawn of the #MeToo movement was a powerful and eye-opening moment for her.

Together, the #MeToo movement and the Women's March has given Watz a new perspective.

"And that's why I will take every opportunity to show support in forums like this one today," Watz said. "Every little step we take together for a good cause will take us into a better future."

© 2018 Cable News Network, Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved.

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Viola Davis Slays Her 2018 Women’s March Speech: ‘Nothing and No One Can Be Great Without a Cost’

Angela Helm

Today 10:25am
Filed to: VIOLA DAVIS

upload_2018-1-21_20-47-45.gif

upload_2018-1-21_20-40-26.gif
Viola Davis speaks onstage at 2018 Women’s March Los Angeles at Pershing Square on Jan. 20, 2018, in Los Angeles. (Amanda Edwards/Getty Images for The Women’s March Los Angeles)

She came. She roared. She conquered.

Actor Viola Davis, who has been thrilling audiences with her passionate, deeply felt words since at least 2017 (or that year she made us all cry at the Oscars) gave no less at the Women’s March 2018 in Los Angeles this Saturday.

Decked out in a leather jacket, big, beautiful hair, and the fierceness of a life lived (and don’t @ me for talking about how she looked—at 52, she looks too damn good!) Davis gave thousands of pink pussy hat wearers something to talk—and think—about.

Davis opened by saying, “In the words of my fellow American Malcolm X, I’m gonna make it plain.”

Ok Viola. We are listening. Because opening with Malcolm means it’s about to go down.

She followed up by calling the United States the greatest nation on earth, but reminding us. “In 1877, America put laws in place called the Jim Crow laws,” and those laws “restricted the rights of quadroons, octoroons, blacks, Hispanics, Malays ... they restricted medical, relationships, education, in all, “they restricted life.”

Davis also quoted Martin Luther King who and then she got animated, telling the crowd that the price of freedom is certainly not free.

“We only move forward when it doesn’t cost us anything,” she said. “But I’m here today saying that no one and nothing can be great unless it costs you something.”

She noted that women of color, if they are raped or sexually assaulted before the age of 18 are 66 percent more likely to be raped or sexually assaulted again. “Seventy percent of girls who are sexually trafficked are girls of color,” said Davis. “They are coming out of the foster care system, they are coming out of poverty. It is a billion dollar business,” she thundered.

She, like Oprah, called the name of activist and organizer Fannie Lou Hamer, of Recy Taylor, who was gang raped by six white men, of Rosa Parks, of activist Tarana Burke – saying their work, their sacrifice cost them something.

“Nothing and no one can be great without a cost,” she said.

Davis closed by getting personal and saying that her testimony was that of one of those young girls of color who grew up in poverty and who was sexually violated.

“I am always introduced as an award-winning actor. But my testimony is one of poverty. My testimony is one of being sexually assaulted and very much seeing a childhood that was robbed from me. And I know that every single day, when I think of that, I know that the trauma of those events are still with me today. And that’s what drives me to the voting booth. That’s what allows me to listen to the women who are still in silence. That’s what allows me to even be a citizen on this planet.

And then, hammering the point home, she again said ain’t nobody free til we all free.

“As we live on earth, we’ve got to bring everyone with us,” said Davis.

Brava Ms. Davis. Brava.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR
p8b8slccwwy2h1sj8oja.jpg
Angela Helm
Ms. Bronner Helm is Contributing Editor at The Root. Always down for the cause, Never down for the count.

TwitterPosts

NikAngela Helm
1/21/18 11:52am
Black women don’t just shake the table, we throw the table out the window. I didn’t particjipate in the New York Women’s March because it is a march for White women. I will wait for our marches. However, it is important for famous Black women like Viola Davis to go to these things and tell White women truths they don’t listen to from other Black women. Just look at the #MeToo movement and how they just stole it to center White women and left us behind once again. It has happened many times throughout history. I’m glad Viola spoke about trafficking and how it’s a business. Black women and girls are forced into many things simply because we have little economic power and no protection. Recy Taylor, Rosa Parks, and Fannie Lou Hamer as well as many other Black women trailblazers are not centered in White feminism. They want to put Susan B. Anthony and other racist White women as the foremothers.

The problem is White women are not willing to pay the cost. As Black women, we have never had a choice. Our ancestors came here on slave ships without any human rights. White women were and are still protected under White supremacy. They do not want to really risk it all and be treated like Black women or other non-Black women of color. That’s why they go on election day and vote for racists. That is why they are at the forefront of gentrifying neighborhoods. That is why they don’t march in equal numbers with BLM or other groups that want justice to be equal for all. Until White women are willing to pay the cost they, and their pu$$y hats, might as well stay home.

• TimSNik
    1/21/18 12:09pm
    White feminism? Black feminism? Ok, fine, but come on, stretch your mind, heart and soul to act collectively even if you think differently. The idea of separating yourself and waiting for “your march,” taken to an extreme, means you march alone, which accomplishes nothing and means nothing.

I get being angry, but wake up! The planet has big problems (like racial divisions, class inequality, and climate change) that can only be fixed if we come together. Maybe ask yourself, are you part of the solution or part of the problem?

• MTH3Nik
    1/21/18 12:27pm
    spot damn on!

• VelopsNik
    1/21/18 12:37pm
    I don’t understand. White women are not going to see your anger if you don’t make noise in front of them. Black women and their concerns are not getting more visibility by avoiding these marches.

• Rooo sez BISH PLZNik
    1/21/18 1:17pm
    I’d like to share this to Groupthink. There are white women who need to hear this. (But I won’t do it without your permission, as we know how Some Folk can be.)

"Hachi"Angela Helm
1/21/18 10:51am
Her speech was raw and real. I hope it stays in our hearts and inspires our continued actions.

• sauvage"Hachi"
    1/21/18 11:07am
    Viola Davis is brave, she’s fierce, she dares to be vulnerable, she’s loving and at 52, she is also a woman who is running out of fucks to give. Inspiration indeed.

• BrynandNessasauvage
    1/21/18 4:36pm
    She’s out here telling the truth.

And it does cost something. She’s so right.

• PaulMooneysTongueAngela Helm
    1/21/18 8:51pm
    My next door neighbor asked me if I wanted to join her. I was like no thanks because I’m not a feminist

He head spun faster than Linda Blair’s in “The Exorcist”.

Her: But....but...don’t you want equal pay.

Me: (sending some impending and defensive lecture) sure. That’s what’s unions are for.

I’m old enough to to know that the feminist movement is for educated, upperly mobile white women. Gloria Steiman and Betty Friedan weren’t looking to work with Angela Davis or lower class white women. And I can bet that many of them wouldn’t be so supportive of getting equal pay with many African American women.

S