South China Sea: US carrier group begins 'routine' patrols

MCP

International
International Member
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-39018882

_94727005_037742230-1.jpg

US aircraft carrier the USS Carl Vinson has started what it calls "routine operations" in the South China Sea, with a fleet of supporting warships.

The deployment comes days after China's foreign ministry warned Washington against challenging Beijing's sovereignty in the region.

China claims several contested shoals, islets and reefs in the area.

It has been constructing artificial islands with airstrips in the South China Sea for a number of years.

_90355790_mediaitem90355789.jpg

The aircraft carrier was last in the South China Sea two years ago, for exercises with Malaysia's navy and air force and has made 16 voyages to the region in its 35 years of US navy service.

US Defence Secretary James Mattis said during a recent trip to Japan that the Trump administration saw no need for "dramatic military moves" at the stage.

The statement appeared to repudiate comments on the subject from Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, who told senators during his confirmation hearings that China should be prevented from reaching the disputed islands.

On Wednesday, Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Geng Shuang said: "We urge the US not to take any actions that challenge China's sovereignty and security."

_90359711_south_china_sea_110716_624map.png

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator

Thanks. I knew about most of the claims though some I hadn't read very much about. So what we have now is China has developed more of a "blue water" navy than it had in the past and now, correspondingly, says its prepared to flex those muscles. I'm not certain at all whose claim(s) are more valid, but the dispute has a distinct flavor of "might=right." Personally, I'd like common consent among the parties to submit the matter to a commonly trusted or agreed upon arbiter. But until that time, I wouldn't concede shit and to the extent that the U.S. has a valid interest in and to the "open seas and navigation" -- buckle-up because we'd all be in for a rough ride.

Piff504

Rising Star
Registered
these articles are so bullshit. Battle groups stay patroling through there. Mine did. we ever ported in Hong Kong. hate these articles

COINTELPRO

Transnational Member
Registered
It is a brilliant military strategy to push your nautical exclusive zone out. You can identify hostile intent much sooner and engage them.

The Chinese need to be more like Europeans, just take shit because you can without any fucks given and invent a reason. This is something they would do because they are imbeciles.

:lol::lol:

Last edited: