Sharon Jones from the Dap Kings...dead at 60.

Pre1992

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/sharon-jones-soul-singer-with-dap-kings-dead-at-60-w451517

Sharon Jones, the fiery soul singer who spent decades in obscurity before becoming a Grammy-nominated soul and funk vocalist with her longtime backing band the Dap-Kings, died on Friday of pancreatic cancer. She was 60.

Sharon Jones Fights On: 'I Have Cancer; Cancer Don't Have Me'

Soul and funk veteran describes recent medical struggles and why she agreed to the brutally candid new documentary, 'Miss Sharon Jones!'

"We are deeply saddened to announce that Sharon Jones has passed away after a heroic battle against pancreatic cancer," the singer's rep wrote in a statement. "She was surrounded by her loved ones, including the Dap-Kings."

Jones was diagnosed with stage two pancreatic cancer in 2013 but later went into remission nine months later. The cancer returned in 2015, with tumors spreading to her lung, liver and lymph nodes.

Jones started numerous funk groups in the 1970, earning extra money by performing in wedding bands and singing gospel music. But for decades, she had trouble breaking in to the industry. After retreating from music for a few years, Jones became a back-up singer for New York funk and soul label Desco Records in 1996 and would release her debut album Dap Dippin' with Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings, in 2002.

The group continued to record and tour constantly, watching their crowds grow as Jones' roaring voice, frenetic energy and gregarious personality surpassed the initial "female James Brown" comparisons.

Jones, alongside the Dap-Kings, released seven albums, most recently 2015's It's a Holiday Soul Party.

This story is developing.

King Natty

Rising Star
Registered
:smh: One of my favorite singers

CxlyaMwXgAEwNag.jpg

http://people.com/music/sharon-jones-dies-at-60/

Sharon Jones, the American soul and funk lead singer of Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings, died on Friday at the age of 60 after her long-fought battle with cancer.

A statement released by the music group on Facebook announced her death, saying “We are deeply saddened to announce Sharon Jones passed away today after a heroic battle against pancreatic cancer. She was surrounded by her loved ones, including the Dap-Kings.”

The group asked fans and well-wishers to donate to organizations such as The Lustgarten Foundation, the James Brown Family Foundation or Little Kids Rock, instead of sending flowers.

Jones, who was nominated for her first Grammy in 2014 for Give the People What They Want, was hospitalized in early November in New York City, according to News 12 NBC 26, a local station in Georgia.

The singer, who achieved her breakthrough when she was 40-years-old, had been battling cancer for a few years but remained busy. She toured during the summer with Hall and Oates and starred in the documentary Miss Sharon Jones!, which debuted at the 2015 Toronto International Film Festival.

She revealed her diagnosis of stage-one bile duct cancer in 2013, and was forced to cancel promotional duties for an album that was preparing for release that August.

Sista used to go IN live

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Rest in peace, Sharon & condolences to your loved ones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharon_Jones_(singer)

Sharon Lafaye Jones (May 4, 1956 – November 18, 2016) was an American soul and funk singer. She was the lead singer of Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings, a soul and funk band based in Brooklyn, New York.[1] Jones experienced breakthrough success relatively late in life,[2] releasing her first record when she was 40 years old.[3] In 2014, Jones was nominated for her first Grammy, in the category Best R&B Album, for Give the People What They Want.[4][5]

It was announced on June 3, 2013, that Jones had been diagnosed with bile duct cancer[21] and underwent surgery, which forced her to postpone the release of the group's fifth album, Give the People What They Want.[22] The diagnosis was later changed to stage II pancreatic cancer, for which Jones had surgery on her liver and underwent chemotherapy.[23] The chemotherapy caused hair loss, and for a time she performed bald, refusing to wear wigs.[24][25]

During the screening of her documentary at the 2015 Toronto International Film Festival,[26] Jones revealed that her cancer had returned,[27] and that she would be undergoing chemotherapy again.[28]

Jones died on Friday, November 18, 2016 of complications from pancreatic cancer, aged 60.[29]

fwillia

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Wtf?!?! I had no idea she was ill. That "100 days 100 nights..." song is hands down one of the best songs of 2016. Speaking of 2016, fuck 2016!!

BigATLslim

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
*deep sigh* I just KNEW that cancer was in remission for the last time.

My girl just told me and she is DEVASTATED!

THIS is the year of Da Reaper and it is showing NO mercy.

She was a good one...my condolences to her band and her family.

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
I'm hoping that this is a Sticky... I feared this day was coming. I'm glad she was able to come out with one last album.

Man Leonard Cohen and Sharon Jones in the same month. Gawd damn 2016.... The Year of the Bullshit.

APOPHIS

Autodidact / Polymath
Platinum Member
How?Was she sick?
So many are dropping dead in 2016.

RIP in peace to the sista.