RIP Phife Dawg from Tribe Called Quest

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Props to the BGOL fam'. 10 page thread and counting paying respect to Phife and ATCQ on the whole. Shows the impact they had on the ♫ game.

And again ... for the fam' who missed out on Tribe in their prime ... make sure to check out their discography. Many of us grew up on their music, and especially those 1990 - 1993 classics. Those projects were a 1/4 century ago, and are still dope to this day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Tribe_Called_Quest#Discography

Main article: A Tribe Called Quest discography

Albums

Compilations

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People's_Instinctive_Travels_and_the_Paths_of_Rhythm

People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm is the debut album by the alternative hip hop group A Tribe Called Quest, released April 10, 1990 (see 1990 in music) on Jive Records. Though the album was well-received critically, it had little mainstream appeal. The album did earn the band a devoted following, however, within the alternative hip hop community. People's Instinctive Travels was praised for its lyrical inventiveness and bizarre sense of humor, mixed with socially aware and literate message tracks. The record was given the perfect rating of 5 mics in The Source in 1990.[9] It is one of three A Tribe Called Quest albums included in The Source's 100 Best Rap Albums.[11] It also was certified gold by the RIAA on January 19, 1996.

220px-ATCQPeople'sInstinctTravels.jpg

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Low_End_Theory

The Low End Theory is the second album by American hip hop group A Tribe Called Quest. Released on September 24, 1991 through Jive Records, the album produced three singles: "Check the Rhime," "Jazz (We've Got)," and "Scenario."

The Low End Theory helped shape alternative hip hop in the 1990s.[15][16] It established the musical, cultural, and historical link between hip hop and jazz.[17] The album was considered an instant classic with a 5 mics rating in The Source. Reviewer Reef lauded their "progressive sound" and "streetwise edge".[13] Writer Oliver Wang called the album "a consummate link between generations", which took the essence of jazz and hip hop, and "showing they originated from the same black center."[18] The group's "mellow innovations" helped jazz rap gain significant exposure from 1992 to 1993.[19] Rolling Stone ranked the album at number 154 in "The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time", stating that "people connected the dots between hip-hop and jazz -- both were revolutionary forms of black music based in improvisation and flow -- but A Tribe Called Quest's second album drew the entire picture."[20]

In Time magazine's "ALL-TIME 100" albums, Josh Tyrangiel called the record an exception to jazz rap often being "wishful thinking on the part of critics". He described the album as "socially conscious without being dull" and likened a few tracks to "smokey rooms where cool guys ... say cool things."[21]The Low End Theory was voted at number thirty-two in The Village Voice's 1991 Pazz & Jop critics poll.[22] AllMusic writer John Bush, who declared it "the most consistent and flowing hip-hop album ever recorded",[23] summed up the record as "an unqualified success, the perfect marriage of intelligent, flowing raps to nuanced, groove-centered productions."[9] On February 1, 1995, the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) certified the album platinum. In 2005, comedian Chris Rock ranked it ninth on his Top 25 Hip-Hop Albums.[24] Electronica artist James Lavelle cited The Low End Theory as one of his favorite albums.[25]

ATribeCalledQuestTheLowEndtheory.jpg

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnight_Marauders

Midnight Marauders is the third album by hip hop group A Tribe Called Quest, released November 9, 1993 on Jive Records. It was released two years after A Tribe Called Quest's second album, The Low End Theory, and reached #1 on the R&B/HipHop Charts and #8 on the Billboard 200 in 1993.[11] Midnight Marauders is also seen by many fans and critics as a classic jazz rap album along with The Low End Theory.

Midnight Marauders is one of three A Tribe Called Quest albums on The Source's 100 Best Rap Albums.[15] On January 12, 1994 it was certified and it reached platinum status one day less than a year later on January 11, 1995.[16] It is also one of three A Tribe Called Quest albums to be certified platinum by the RIAA.[17]

ATCQMidnightMarauders.jpg

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
There’s a Petition to Honor Phife Dawg by Renaming a NYC Street “A Tribe Called Quest Boulevard”

28-phife-dawg.w529.h529.jpg

Phife Dawg, fans of A Tribe Called Quest have started a petition to rename a New York City street after the group. Linden Boulevard between 192 Street and 193 Street in Queens could soon be known as "A Tribe Called Quest Boulevard."

The Change.org petition has over 3,200 signatures as of this writing, with a goal of 5,000 signatures. When the petition reaches that goal, it will be brought to Council Member I. Daneek Miller and Speaker Melissa Mark-Viverito, who will decide whether or not to rename the street. Streets named after public figures are fairly common in New York. If this change goes through, it will be a testament to A Tribe Called Quest's musical legacy and Queens roots.

http://www.change.org/p/council-member-i-daneek-miller-a-tribe-called-quest-street-name-change

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
There’s a Petition to Honor Phife Dawg by Renaming a NYC Street “A Tribe Called Quest Boulevard”

28-phife-dawg.w529.h529.jpg

Phife Dawg, fans of A Tribe Called Quest have started a petition to rename a New York City street after the group. Linden Boulevard between 192 Street and 193 Street in Queens could soon be known as "A Tribe Called Quest Boulevard."

The Change.org petition has over 3,200 signatures as of this writing, with a goal of 5,000 signatures. When the petition reaches that goal, it will be brought to Council Member I. Daneek Miller and Speaker Melissa Mark-Viverito, who will decide whether or not to rename the street. Streets named after public figures are fairly common in New York. If this change goes through, it will be a testament to A Tribe Called Quest's musical legacy and Queens roots.

http://www.change.org/p/council-member-i-daneek-miller-a-tribe-called-quest-street-name-change
it should be from Farmers to the Elmont Border - or Springfield Blvd atleast

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
http://allhiphop.com/2016/03/30/petition-seeks-to-get-nyc-park-named-after-malik-phife-dawg-taylor/

Petition Seeks To Get NYC Park Named After Malik “Phife Dawg” Taylor

The March 22 death of Malik “Phife Dawg” Taylor sent shock waves through the Hip Hop community. The member of the legendary group A Tribe Called Quest played a vital role in influencing generations of rap artists and rap fans. Some of Phife Dawg’s supporters are now looking to get New York City’s St. Albans Park renamed after the Queens native.

An online petition has been launched to convince the Park and Recreation Department of New York City to consider honoring Phife by christening Malik Taylor Park. As of press time, over 4,000 people have signed on to the petition started by Noelle Ross.

The description on the Care2 website reads:

Malik Taylor was a local resident of New York. He was a member of the music grouped A Tribe Called Quest. A Tribe Called Quest is a Grammy winning Hip-Hop group that was established in 1985. Malik “Phife Dawg” Taylor’s national and international cultural influence, via music and sports. Has left a positive affect on many lives today. St. Albans Park nurtured and entertained the spirit of “Phife Dawg”. Therefore, it is believed that an honor should be bestowed on Malik Taylor and St. Albans Park. In renaming St. Albans Park into Malik Taylor Park.

A separate group of organizers is also working to get a street in NYC to become A Tribe Called Quest Boulevard. That petition currently has more than 5,000 supporters.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/424/486/817/

https://www.change.org/p/council-me...lled-quest-street-name-change#petition-letter

bborn

Rising Star
Registered
peace

DJ Scratch went OFF crazy in his tribute on 'Quakes's House BLS @ 6:smh:
Only got a chance to capture the back end of it :angry::angry:
Anyone who comes across that link, Fam, please post it.
Almost forgot abt them jewels from the 1st & last real album.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
If there's an ideal way to send off a New York City legend, it's at the Apollo Theater with all of the people influenced by his beats, rhymes, and life. Tuesday night, A Tribe Called Quest did just that, honoring the late Phife Dawg at a celebration in Harlem (and in Queens earlier) where hip-hop's greatest gathered to pay tribute to the Five Foot Assassin. It was a night of reminiscing (as Q-Tip, Ali Shaheed Muhammad, and Jarobi collectively did), revering (D'Angelo, KRS One, the Roots, and Kelly Price all performed), revealing (Andre 3000, in a rare appearance, announced that Outkast and Tribe had recently planned a collaborative album), and, well, Kanye-ing. Yes, even Kanye himself stopped by for one of his classic tangents, during which he took shots at Hot 97's Peter Rosenberg for comparing Tribe to Led Zeppelin earlier in the night, joked with Dave Chappelle, and explained why we should all blame Tribe for Kanye, faults and all.

Watch a few of the tributes below and read Kanye's full speech, via Rolling Stone.
https://revolt.tv/videos/insider-access-tribe-called-quest-reflects-phife-dawg-apollo-42108e17

https://revolt.tv/videos/insider-access-kanye-west-pays-homage-phife-dawg-apollo-42ac94d9

I might say something wrong as always, but I thought it'd be more wrong not to say nothing. When I see the power in this room ... Low End Theory was the first album I ever bought and I stayed in the suburbs of Chicago with my stepfather. I'd always get into trouble for listening to music during the week and then I would have to go to detention or study hall, but I enjoyed it 'cause I had that Tribe tape and it didn't really matter how long that walk was.

I think about stories I hear about [Queen] Latifah when she was young; how she knew what she was gonna be in life. I look at the power in this room. I know Rosenberg said something about Zeppelin and you know me: I'm very sensitive about things like this. But I don't want to hear Zeppelin mentioned at Phife's funeral.

One hundred years from now, we're gonna all be with Phife and this country was built off our back. I live next to the dentist. I stay in a $20 million crib next to the dentist. Dave Chappelle, you know what I'm talking about. We had an event a year ago and I would just go over to Tip's house like when they was doing Low End Theory and Pete Rock came down. And I be at these events in Hollywood and I be at these events here and I'm looking at how many more people inspire us and the walls that we have on our finances. Out in Hollywood, everybody got a mink coat and $500,000 car. And it's the way the music industry was set up was that all the people that run the industry and sign everybody from out of Queens, the Bronx, southside of Chicago, Atlanta make sure that they get that crib.

I'm sorry, but that's what was on my fuckin' mind when I was sitting here thinking about how much these people inspire me and how powerful the influence of the music was and how it made that walk to study hall so short. How it meant everything. It is everything. Music was stolen from us and corporatized and anybody that spoke up was demonized. Anything I ever did wrong, blame Tip and Phife 'cause y'all raised me.

I don't want to hear about Led Zeppelin tonight. Every time y'all started the rap, you give me one line of "Scenario," I'll do the whole joint all the way through. Y'all made it okay in a city of Al Capone — number one murder capital city — for me to be me. Tribe made Kanye West. Made the kid with the pink Polo. Made it so I could dress funny. I'm not sorry if I said something wrong.
[Consequence] know. He said honor and maybe there wasn't no punch lines with it. Me and Cons were on the same thing, sitting at Baseline Studio. We ain't never stopped; cameras on/off, we ain't never stop. Honor. Honor that work. That influence. That ability to chop that sample. That ability to put that rap together. Honor that.

Maybe it ain't no David Stern that figured out to turn everybody in rap to multi-millionaires the way they turn ballplayers to multi-millionaires. But they got to honor it. I'm picturing the Grammys right now, it's going to be a real quick [tribute]. Short, like when the Michael Jackson joint was short. Or when you get to Michael Jackson status, somebody say, "Aw, you crazy 'cause you said the truth out loud." You get in trouble for the truth.

Honor, man. They gotta honor us; honor what hip-hop is. It should not be surprising to you when the sports announcer [Scott Van Pelt] was influenced by Tribe. That should not be a surprise! That's the absolute truth!

I love y'all and I'm not sorry. Rest in Peace to Phife Dawg.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...te-to-tribe-called-quests-phife-dawg-20160406

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
http://www.latimes.com/food/dailydish/la-dd-mumford-brewing-tribute-phife-dawg-20160329-story.html

Downtown L.A. brewery releases tribute beer 'Buggin' Out' for Phife Dawg

mumford Brewing Co. in downtown L.A. has released a beer to toast the life of Malik Isaac Taylor, known as Phife Dawg, co-founder of the group A Tribe Called Quest, who died of complications from diabetes last week. The beer, a new pale ale called Buggin’ Out (named after the A Tribe Called Quest song), is styled after the hoppy "Northeast IPAs" found on the East Coast.

“We’re a very musical family,” said head brewer Peter Mumford, who started the brewery with his brother Todd and his wife, Tien Tran. “We bring that love of music into the brewery. All of our tanks are named after musicians.”

Like the New York-based rap group A Tribe Called Quest, Buggin’ Out is strongly influenced by East Coast culture, including the trendy Northeast IPAs that have been popularized by breweries such as Hill Farmstead in Vermont, and Massachusetts operations Tree House Brewing and Trillium Brewing Co.

In contrast to the more mainstream West Coast-style IPAs (which are very aromatic, dry and bitter) the Northeast IPAs from New England and surrounding areas are more full-bodied and not as dry. They are also visually striking with a distinctly cloudy — almost murky — appearance in the glass from a combination of yeast and proteins suspended in the unfiltered brews.

>>Los Angeles craft beer guide

Buggin’ Out isn’t the first memorial brew that the brewer has released; Hunky Dory is an IPA tribute to David Bowie, and a beer Mumford calls “a strange and unfortunate coincidence.” Brewed in the weeks before Bowie's death in January, the IPA was scheduled to be released in the tasting room on the day of the artist's passing, so the Mumford brothers decided to rename the beer and hold an impromptu memorial in the tasting room.

See the most-read stories in Life & Style this hour >>
Likewise, Buggin’ Out wasn’t intended to be a tribute to the hip-hop icon, but when the beer was nearly ready to serve, the brewers discovered both that Phife Dawg had passed, and that the new brew had an alcohol % by volume of 5.3% — a coincidental reference to Phife Dawg’s 5-foot-3 stature.

“I liked Bowie, but I wasn’t a superfan.” said Mumford. “But Tribe [Called Quest] was, like, everything to me in high school.”

The first pints of Buggin’ Out were poured last week while the Tribe Called Quest album “The Low End Theory” played in the Mumford tasting room. The pale ale has some tropical and grassy top notes, then finishes dry with a lingering impression of bergamot and jasmine tea.

Mumford Brewing Co. might be the first Los Angeles brewery to delve into the trendy Northeast-style ales, but expect to see more of these distinctive brews in coming months as local breweries experiment with the style.

416 Boyd St., Los Angeles, (213) 346-9970, www.mumfordbrewing.com.