RIP Kashif - Singer/Producer. He was 56

crossovernegro

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Wow....damn....dude was huge in the early 80s.....talented broths..... RIP.
He and Leon Sylvers....dudes helped define the sound of the early 80s.

mangobob79

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
SUCKS!! maaan! kashif was a such a totally nice and humble brother , i meet him in bk years ago and stayed in touch thru a mutual friend.. sucks man !:crymeariver:

deputy dawg

~wait a cotton pickin' minute...
BGOL Investor
damn shame.
played his music non-stop on my new college stereo bought with tuition money!

RIP

PussyMan

Rising Star
OG Investor
It was Henrique who brought to my attention today that Kashif Saleem,born Michael Jones in NYC,passed away this last Sunday. The causes is still unknown as of now,and not that important. What does matter is that while Kashif was well known as a producer for other artists,it all stemmed from lesser sung achievements of his own. He joined the disco funk band B.T Express as a teenager for their third album Energy To Burn in 1976. He began producing for Evelyn King on her 1981 hit “I’m In Love”-beginning a long tradition of him producing funky female talent in the early 80’s. His talent went even further than that.

Alongside Stevie Wonder,Kashif is known as a synthesizer pioneer in funk/soul. He extended on Wonder’s work by creating sounds that became known as the boogie funk sound. That is mixing live rhythm sections with electronic orchestrations and melodies. He was an orphan who managed to get up of a very abusive foster family. While in primary school,he focused strongly on music. Even learning woodwind instruments-pretty rare for even multi instrumentalists. His self titled solo debut came out in 1983. The song that epitomizes his artistry on it for me is an instrumental entitled “The Mood”.

A strong,space heavy Afro Latin snare/hi hat drum starts off the song. The remainder of the song consists primarily of Kashif’s vocals and many layers of synthesizers. There’s a fluttering synth string,a wispy higher tones one in the back round and a brittle bass one accompanying the multi tracked layers of Kashif’s almost operatic,jazzy vocalese. On the refrains of the song,the melody goes into a higher key and a high funky rhythm guitar assists the melody. On the final choruses of the song,Kashif sings vocalese through a Vocoder before the song fades out.

Kashif’s boogie funk production style is generally spare but glistening enough to appeal to 80’s soul singers. But the moment I heard this instrumental 12 years ago,it was entrancing what a sonic marvel this really is. Its basically an Afro Latin jazz/funk number produced in the more electronic boogie style-with some beautiful chordal modulations and…just a general magical quality to the synthesized sounds created. Kashif will be remembered for me as someone able to get the most warmth out of 80’s era synthesizers. And I am hoping that will continue to be his most enduring musical legacy.

source https://andresmusictalk.wordpress.c...oove-special-presentation-the-mood-by-kashif/

PussyMan

Rising Star
OG Investor
When I think back on my career I sometimes reflect on those individuals that have illuminated my path... My long and winding road. Here are some photos that I hope you will appreciate. The first photo is me and Kenny G. I was fortunate enough to produce his first hits and his 2nd and 3rd albums. The 2nd photo is me with some friends with one of my musical heroes, Mtume, The 3rd photo is with with hitmaker and founding member of Chic, Nile Rogers. The last photo is me with Leeds Levy one of the early supporters of my career, an early catalyst indeed. Thank you to all of you illuminates that have helped to propel my career forward. Always in gratitude, Kashif

e5ef5896d862286aa1120f92526318e6.jpg

1e901a5934283ad4fedd62cbe78b826a.jpg

792a6e1e84778a37f9dfca256befba4e.jpg

0cd433a6cee04b2ee9d3ee489d21bd7f.jpg

TEN

Tensei - Admin
Staff member
I have been broken up about this all day, since reading about it this morning. Kashif was one of the major contributors to the soundtrack to my life. I admired everything he produced, I'd listen with almost disbelief to his debut album,wondering how could one person make something so fucking perfect. To this day it STILL blows my mind as well as ALL of his productions on other artists like Evelyn King, George Benson, Howard Johnson and Whitney. We gotta wrap Paul Laurence Jr up in cotton wool before we lose him too. This has truly hurt me as Kashif was way too young. From the bottom of my heart and with all of my family we ALL say thank you Kashif, for the incredible music, and for the everlasting positive energy you left us with, in your music. Rest In Peace KASHIF, rest in Love and Light.

2ihy1sp.jpg

yardy

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
RIP
This man was the 80's. So many of my favorite jams he produced.

Da hell going on this year man. Wow

THE DRIZZY

Ally of The Great Ancestors
OG Investor
RIP and Peaceful journey. Thanks for sharing your talent. I was around in the 80's as a youth and remember your music. Can't wait for this year to end.

Race Harley

Rising Star
Platinum Member
This one hurts... I met dude back in '84 when he was on the college tour and played in concert all the hits he wrote for other artists, plus his own.

R.I.P. Brooklyn Boy