Ohio Players Founder, Junie Morrison, Dead At 62

dik cashmere

Freaky Tah gettin high that's my brother
BGOL Investor
0ceea0845ebbac8a6c015897fcbc9461.620x349x1.jpg

It is with sad news to report the passing of funk legend, Walter “Junie” Morrison. The Dayton, Ohio producer, writer, keyboardist, vocalist and founder of the legendary funk band, The Ohio Players, has died at the age of 62.

Morris, the brainchild behind hits, “Pain,” “Pleasure,” “Ecstasy,” and the oft-sampled “Funky Worm,” was beloved by countless musicians in the industry, while bending genres to his creative whim. After leaving the band in 1974, he would release three solo albums (When We Do, Freeze and Suzie Supergroupie).

His impact as one of the structural fathers of funk is uncontested and undisputed. Morrison joined George Clinton‘s Parliament Funkadelic and played a key role in making the group bubble from 1978 through 1980. His contributions to One Nation Under a Groove (“Not Just Knee Deep”), Motor Booty Affair and Gloryhallastoopid made his legend grow even deeper.

Most millennial music fans may also recall his name as Solange paid tribute to the funk pioneer on her Grammy Award winning project, A Seat at the Table. The youngest of the Knowles clan had been raised on Morrison’s music by her parents, Mathew and Tina Knowles. Channeling his brand of musical liberation, Morrison shared his reaction, saying, “I believe that Solange has a great talent for representing and promoting freedom. Freedom to be outwardly and inwardly creative.”

A member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, a master producer and imaginative musician — Morrison would go on to produce other artists throughout the ’90s and continue to contribute to P-Funk, as of most recently in 1996. His last solo album, When the City, was released on his own label Juniefunk in 2014.

The news has hit the music community hard, as they have expressed their condolences in these tweets, which you can read below.

http://www.okayplayer.com/news/walter-junie-morrison-dead-at-62.html

TEN

Tensei - Admin
Staff member
My heart can't take it, man. ..damn...
I'm just happy to know your soul has returned to the Mothership now, brother Junie Morrison.
Thank you for the Funk, which will live on forever, throughout the Universe. Salute.

2ihy1sp.jpg

Dirtylakerie

Rising Star
Platinum Member
  1. Only real niggas are named Junie. Anyone thats a hip hop head needs to morn with the ohio players its so baked into hip hop breaks and beats.
R.i.p. And yes especially the west coast. I forever thought someone from the west made that small clip. In the funky worm. The ..48-.54 second clip.