MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator
North Korea Proves Your White Male Privilege Is Not Universal

By La Sha

n-OTTO-WARMBIER-628x314.jpg

ASSOCIATED PRESS

On the Revocation of White Privilege in North Korea
“That’s what the hell he gets. Good for him!” My mother had uttered those words in her typical matter-of-fact tone one morning as she watched the news. “He” was Michael Fay, an 18-year-old from Ohio who had confessed to vandalizing cars in Singapore, and was subsequently sentence to six lashes from a rattan cane. I was in sixth grade and all I could imagine was how horrible the pain would be. My mother was unmoved at the thought, remarking, “He earned that.”

I thought about my mother’s words a few days ago while watching video of 21-year-old Otto Warmbier, another man from Ohio who last week was convicted of subversion for stealing a propaganda banner in North Korea, and sentenced to 15 years hard labor. Just as in Fay’s case, I was shocked by the severity of the punishment. I’ve tried to imagine spending a decade and a half performing what the North Korean state deems hard labor and I can’t. But I’m not 11 anymore, and now, my mother’s callous reaction to Micahel Fay’s sentence is my reaction to another young white man who went to an Asian country and violated their laws, and learned that the shield his cis white male identity provides here in America is not teflon abroad.

As shocked as I am by the sentence handed down to Warmbier, I am even more shocked that a grown man, an American citizen, would not only voluntarily enter North Korea but also commit what’s been described a “college-style prank.” That kind of reckless gall is an unfortunate side effect of being socialized first as a white boy, and then as a white man in this country. Every economic, academic, legal and social system in this country has for more than three centuries functioned with the implicit purpose of ensuring that white men are the primary benefactors of all privilege. The kind of arrogance bred by that kind of conditioning is pathogenic, causing its host to develop a subconscious yet no less obnoxious perception that the rules do not apply to him, or at least that their application is negotiable.

Headline after headline has highlighted that Otto Warmbier is a student. His LinkedIn profile states that he is majoring Economics with a minor in Global Sustainability and is a Managing Director of an “alternative investment fund.” A man reared in this country who studies the globe as a part of his higher education curriculum must have been at least passingly aware of the notoriously strained relationship between the United States and North Korea. Surely he had read the stories of Jeffrey Fowle and Matthew Miller, other white American men arrested in North Korea for “petty crimes” who were subsequently sentenced to hard labor.

Yeah, I’m willing to bet my last dollar that he was aware of the political climate in that country, but privilege is a hell of a drug. The high of privilege told him that North Korea’s history of making examples out of American citizens who dare challenge their rigid legal system in any way was no match for his alabaster American privilege. When you can watch a white man who entered a theatre and killed a dozen people come out unscathed, you start to believe you’re invincible. When you see a white man taken to Burger King in a bulletproof vest after he killed nine people in a church, you learn that the world will always protect you.

Coming from a country filled with citizens who lambaste black victims of state sanctioned violence by telling us that if we obey the law, we wouldn’t have to face the consequences, Warmbier should’ve listened. If he had obeyed North Korea’s laws, he would be home now. In fact, if he had heeded the U.S. Department of State’s strong advisement against travel to North Korea, he would be home right now. And if Eric Garner is to be blamed for his own death for selling loose cigarettes or if Sandra Bland is dead because she failed to signal when changing lanes, then Otto Warmbier is now facing a decade and a half of hard labor because he lacked both good judgment and respect for the national autonomy of a country which has made its hatred for and vendetta against America unequivocally clear.

And while I don’t blame his parents for pressuring the State Department to negotiate his release, I wonder where they were when their son was planning a trip to the DPRK. Didn’t they impress upon him the hostile climate that awaited him? Didn’t they rear him to respect law and order? Did they not teach him the importance of obeying authority?

What a mind-blowing moment it must be to realize after 21 years of being pedestaled by the world simply because your DNA coding produced the favorable phenotype that such favor is not absolute. What a bummer to realize that even the State Department with all its influence and power cannot assure your pardon. What a wake-up call it is to realize that your tears are met with indifference.

As I’ve said, living 15 years performing manual labor in North Korea is unimaginable, but so is going to a place I know I’m unwelcome and violating their laws. I’m a black woman though. The hopeless fear Warmbier is now experiencing is my daily reality living in a country where white men like him are willfully oblivious to my suffering even as they are complicit in maintaining the power structures which ensure their supremacy at my expense. He is now an outsider at the mercy of a government unfazed by his cries for help. I get it.

COINTELPRO

Transnational Member
Registered
The same thing happen to me leaving the U.S. than a mysterious job opportunity that just came out of nowhere as you are just about leave and unexplained medical problems.

636329918166653382-061317-OttoWarmbier05.jpg

Now I can't go up the street let alone another country. His situation reminds me of what happened to me. If you get a job, decline than bounce. Don't give them an opportunity to fuck you up than dump your body in another country.

It happens on both sides.

Last edited:

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Cohen tells Congress Trump is involved in several crimes
https://theweek.com/5things/826077/cohen-tells-congress-trump-involved-several-crimes
Michael Cohen, President Trump's former lawyer, testified publicly on Wednesday that Trump has been deeply involved in various crimes and lies to the American public.

House Oversight Committee Chairman Elijah Cummings told reporters that based on Cohen's testimony, "it appears that" Trump committed a crime while in office; Cohen produced a check he says shows Trump broke campaign finance laws while president by repaying a hush money sum for Stormy Daniels.

Cohen also claimed he knows about more alleged illegal acts involving Trump but can't talk about them because they're under investigation.

He called Trump "a conman" and "a cheat," and said he heard Roger Stone tell Trump that WikiLeaks would dump damaging emails to disrupt the Democratic National Convention. Cohen will testify in a closed-door hearing with the House Intelligence committees on Thursday.

Source: The New York Times, Politico

MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator
Justice Department veterans say GOP attacks on Michael Cohen's credibility are 'amateurish' and 'laughable'
Sonam Sheth

1h
5c76d3d42628981c8b3599ab-750-375.jpg

Michael Cohen, the former personal attorney of U.S. President Donald Trump, testifies before a House Committee on Oversight and Reform hearing on Capitol Hill in Washington, U.S., February 27, 2019
REUTERS/Carlos Barria

analysis%20banner.png

• GOP lawmakers consistently attacked Michael Cohen's credibility during an explosive hearing before the House Oversight Committee on Wednesday, calling him a "pathological liar" and a "patsy" for the Democrats.
  • But Justice Department veterans criticized the strategy, calling it "amateurish," "idiotic," and "laughable."
  • "That's an idiotic argument for an adult to make," one former federal prosecutor told INSIDER.
  • "By definition, any cooperator who was involved in a criminal conspiracy at one point lied about it," another former federal prosecutor told INSIDER.

President Donald Trump, his allies, and Republican lawmakers were relentless in their attacks on Michael Cohen this week. The GOP ripped into the former Trump lawyer, calling Cohen a convicted liar who cannot be trusted.

Cohen, Trump's longtime former lawyer and fixer, took center stage on Wednesday when he testified before the House Oversight Committee about his relationship with the president.

In addition to calling Trump a "racist," "cheat," and "con man," Cohen implicated him in criminal conduct while in office and revealed new details about ongoing criminal investigations into Trump's businesses.

Republicans, meanwhile, made their strategy clear from the get-go: keep the focus on Cohen's lies. To illustrate their effort, theypropped up a poster on their side of the hearing room that featured a photo of Cohen with the caption, "Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire!"

Read more:The 8 biggest takeaways from Michael Cohen's blockbuster testimony against Trump

5c782b732628985df95e5307-750-375.jpg

Rep. Jim Jordan, R-Ohio, center, ranking member of the Committee on Oversight and Reform talks with Rep. Mark Meadows, R-N.C., left, and Rep. Thomas Massie, R-Ky., right, during testimony by Michael Cohen, President Donald Trump's former personal lawyer on Capitol Hill in Washington, Wednesday, Feb. 27, 2019.
Associated Press
Reps. Jim Jordan and Mark Meadows, both members of the ultra-conservative House Freedom Caucus, pointed and shouted at Cohen during their questioning and illustrated the former Trump lawyer's long history of questionable dealings before branding him a "patsy" for the Democrats.

Other GOP lawmakers got straight to the point.

"You've claimed that you've lied but you're not a liar," said Rep. Jody Hice, a Republican from Georgia. "Just to set the record straight, if you lied, you are a liar by definition."

"You're either incompetent or you are a liar," said GOP Rep. Bob Gibbs.

Arizona Rep. Paul Gosar also chimed in: "You are a pathological liar. You don't note truth from falsehood."

Patrick Cotter, a longtime former federal prosecutor who was part of the team that convicted the Gambino crime family boss John Gotti, didn't mince words when addressing GOP attacks against Cohen: "That's an idiotic argument for an adult to make. People who cooperate with prosecutors are always convicted criminals. That's the price of admission."

Jeffrey Cramer, a longtime former federal prosecutor who spent 12 years at the Justice Department, largely agreed.

"By definition, any cooperator who was involved in a criminal conspiracy at one point lied about it," he told INSIDER. "Prisons are full of people who were on trial where cooperators testified against them with supporting evidence. That's how you prove those cases: you use someone from the inside."

Read more:In closing remarks, Michael Cohen says his loyalty to Trump cost him 'everything'

5c76fed526289844fa5f4037-750-375.jpg

Michael Cohen.
AP Photo/Alex Brandon
'It's like condemning somebody for being a hitman when he's testifying against the guy that hired him to do the hit'
Cohen pleaded guilty to several counts of tax evasion, bank fraud, campaign-finance violations, and lying to Congress. Since last year, he has been cooperating with federal prosecutors in several inquiries, including the FBI's Russia investigation and the Southern District of New York's investigation into Trump's business and financial dealings.

On Wednesday, Cohen told lawmakers that he had lied and misled investigators to protect Trump. But "I am not protecting Mr. Trump anymore," he said.

In court documents announcing Cohen's guilty pleas in the Russia probe and the SDNY's investigation, prosecutors wrote that Cohen admitted to committing crimes "in coordination with" and "at the direction of" an individual widely believed to be Trump.

On Wednesday, Cohen said the unnamed individual — described as Individual-1 in court filings — is the president. He also said Trump did not explicitly direct him to lie to Congress in 2017 about the now defunct Trump Tower Moscow deal.

But "in conversations we had during the campaign, at the same time I was actively negotiating in Russia for him, he would look me in the eye and tell me there's no business in Russia and then go out and lie to the American people by saying the same thing," Cohen said. "In his way, he was telling me to lie."

Cotter pointed to Cohen's statements, telling INSIDER, "If you're going to condemn Cohen as a liar, how much more must you condemn the person who told him to lie and on whose behalf he lied?"

"It's ridiculous and amateurish," he added. "It's like condemning somebody for being a hitman when he's testifying against the guy that hired him to do the hit. You made him a hitman. That's why he's your guy. It's laughable, and in a criminal case, that strategy would go nowhere."

Read more:Michael Cohen has reportedly been disbarred in New York state

5c7836f326289845df1815d4-750-375.jpg
Jonathan Ernst/Reuters
'It's true that Cohen is a liar... but he's Trump's convicted liar'
Legal scholars said the GOP's argument that Cohen has a credibility crisis was also weakened by the fact that he provided documentation to support some of his claims about Trump's character and alleged criminal conduct.

For instance, he provided to the committee a copy of a check for $35,000, signed by Trump, that was dated August 1, 2017.

The check, Cohen said, was "pursuant to the cover-up, which was the basis of my guilty plea, to reimburse me — the word used by Mr. Trump's TV lawyer — for the illegal hush money I paid on his behalf [to the adult film star Stormy Daniels]. This $35,000 check was one of 11 check installments that was paid throughout the year — while he was president."

Cohen added that Trump gave him the check "as part of a criminal scheme to violate campaign finance laws."

"It's true that Cohen is a liar," Cramer said. "He's a convicted liar, but he's Trump's convicted liar. And if he's got documents proving what he's saying, I don't care that Cohen is a convicted liar. If he has documents, you should believe those documents because that's corroborating evidence."

He added: "If there are more documents like that — and I suspect there are and that prosecutors have them — that's legally significant, because it puts the president in the crosshairs as an unindicted co-conspirator."