Marvel Movie News: Avengers: Infinity War Doesn't Want Infinite Films, Is Now Just a Standalone Film

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Avengers: Infinity War Doesn't Want Infinite Films, Is Now Just a Standalone Film

08-avengers-talking.w529.h529.jpg

To infinity and beyond … or not. Contrarily to what had been previously announced, Disney has confirmed that the upcoming Avengers: Infinity War will only be one film as opposed to two. To be directed by Anthony and Joe Russo, the two Infinity War films were put on the Marvel schedule back in October 2014, with the first one scheduled for May 2018 and the second (initially titled Avengers: Infinity War Part II) scheduled for May 2019. However, Disney has now renamed the second film as an "Untitled Avengers" project, with the same release date still in place. Production on the now-one-and-only Infinity War is scheduled to begin later this year, with Robert Downey Jr. and negotiating tool extraordinaire Jeremy Renner confirmed to star.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
http://variety.com/2016/film/news/d...finity-war-will-be-only-one-movie-1201826862/

Disney has confirmed that it will make only one “Avengers: Infinity” movie rather than the two it had announced previously.

Disney said on Friday that it still plans to release Marvel’s “Avengers: Infinity War” as planned on May 4, 2018. But what was slated to be the second part in that story, “Avengers: Infinity War Part II,” has now been renamed as an “Untitled Avengers” project while retaining the May 3, 2019 release date.

The two “Infinity War” movies were announced together in October, 2014, with both directed by Anthony and Joe Russo. Two months ago, the Russo brothers told the Uproxx site that the third and fourth Avengers were being retitled in part to clarify that the films would be two separate films rather than one large film split in half.

Production of “Avengers: Infinity War” is expected to begin later this year. The Russos are directing from a script by the writing team of Christopher Marcus and Stephen McFeely with a back story based on immensely powerful Infinity Gems described in various Marvel stories.

The Russo brothers directed “Captain America: Winter Soldier” and “Captain America: Civil War,” which became 2016’s top worldwide grosser with $1.16 billion. Joss Whedon directed 2012’s “The Avengers” and 2015’s “Avengers: Age of Ultron.”

The two “Avengers” films have grossed nearly $3 billion worldwide. “The Avengers” is the fifth highest grosser of all time at $1.52 billion and “Age of Ultron” is the seventh highest at $1.41 billion.

Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Mark Ruffalo, Chris Hemsworth, Scarlett Johansson and Jeremy Renner starred in both movies. Downey and Renner have been confirmed to appear in “Infinity Wars.”

T'Challa

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
My guess is that the infinity war film will focus on the OG avengers

then the second or "avengers 4" will focus on the newer avengers. Just like a long running serial the switch out the characters.

Non-StopJFK2TAB

Rising Star
Platinum Member
It was just Part 1 & 2 of Avengers:Infinity War. They said a couple of months ago they would have name changes since they are different movies. The first one must be Thanos destroying everything and in the second one they fight back.
Or you can make one 3 hour film and call it a day.

vertigo

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Or you can make one 3 hour film and call it a day.

Why make one movie that will make a billion dollars, when you can make two movies that will make a billion each?

I don't think there has been a Marvel movie with a number in it since Iron Man 3 ( though, I suppose there will be soon with Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2 coming out... I wonder if that name will change before release?) Marvel/Disney seem to understand that most viewers are able to keep track of the characters and stories running through each movie and don't need the "Part 2, Part 3" etc.. So, instead of Captain America 2, It's Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Gives it a more serialized feel (like a comic book) and will sound less stupid/confusing as the series adds "episodes"..

no one is going to see or remember what happened in Thor 5, by the time Thor 9 comes out, but Thor: Muspelheim Madness (Oh yeah, that's the one where the fire giant got brain freeze from a slurpie, right? ) the name doesn't sound so bad and will help us "keep track" of it vs the other movies in the shared universe.

Kind of how they do with the Bond movies.

I'm thinking the infinity/Thanos fight will still be at least two movies, they will just have the MCU naming convention. Like someone ( Tony Stark... and he would know) said, with the name changing, it will be easier to shuffle characters in and out of the movies.

I Like what poster "THE MAN" said, perhaps the second film will be Infinity Gauntlet.

twillz1

The Voice of Reason
BGOL Investor
Perhaps the second movie will be the actual end to the Infinity War, with all of the Marvel heroes getting their asses handed to them. The first could then be about how Thanos actually got each of the stones, (a great story) then let the initial ass-kicking ensue, leading up to #2.

stizz3000

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
no one is going to see or remember what happened in Thor 5, by the time Thor 9 comes out, but Thor: Muspelheim Madness (Oh yeah, that's the one where the fire giant got brain freeze from a slurpie, right?
:roflmao:

DjMorpheus

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Man I wanna see what they gonna do with Thor and Hulk as gladiators. That shit has the potential to be EPIC! Fuck all that love story shit and just have these mufuckas battling out with aliens and each other and tearin shit up.

Mr. Del

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Its this is true, I'm not surprised. If they do make two films, I doubt they will be released one year apart. We'll see.

Last edited:

futureshock

Renegade of this atomic age
Registered
‘Avengers: Infinity War’ Eyeing Peter Dinklage for Key Role
By Haleigh Foutch

peter-dinklage-slice.jpg

If there’s one thing we know for sure about Avengers: Infinity War, it’s that you can expect just about every damn Avenger and/or Guardian under the sun to pop up in it. But the new characters that might pop up are a total mystery. While we may not know who to expect, we’ve got an idea who might play one of the newest MCU additions – Game of Thrones star Peter Dinklage.

Per Variety, Dinklage is in early talks for a mystery “key role” in the upcoming Marvel epic, which will find the MCU heroes united in the long-seeded war with Josh Brolin’s big bad, Thanos. Details on the script are naturally being kept tightly under wraps at this point, but it’s hard to imagine that a culminate film that is so inherently packed with characters will have too many new major cast additions.

Image via 20th Century Fox

So far, Doctor Strange, Spider-Man, and the Guardians of the Galaxy are confirmed to appear in Infinity War, which is being scripted and directed by The Winter Soldier and Civil War team, screenwriters Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely and director Joe and Anthony Russo. While Infinity War was originally billed as a two-parter, Marvel has since clarified that Avengers 4 won’t be the second chapter of a single story, but it’s own film entirely (as much as that applies within the serialized nature of the MCU).

Dinklage is a series standout on Game of Thrones, earning a Golden Globe and two Emmy Awards (and six Emmy nominations in total) for his unwaveringly excellent work in the series, but had a tougher time finding roles to show off his skill in the film world, his most recent live-action pictures being The Boss and Pixels. Hopefully, his “key role” will find a worthwhile use of his talents. Dinklage would also become one of the proud few to cross superhero studio lines (alongside Chris Evans and Ryan Reynolds), having previously appeared as the villainous Bolivar Trask in 20th Century Fox’s X-Men: Days of Future Past.

Infinity War is scheduled to arrive in theaters May 4, 2018.

lightbright

Master Pussy Poster
BGOL Investor
Na infinity war needs 2 films. I don't think the masses can handle the story in one film without getting their minds blown. There are way too many bases to cover. Its like making the dark tower one film.
Too much to squeeze into one film....really too much!!!!

daddyfatsacks9000

Unapologetic Heterosexual Male
BGOL Investor
Have they introduced or hinted towards Atom Warlock in the MCU at all? I've seen all the movies except "Dr. Strange" and that's just because I refuse to watch bootleg. If they haven't, how are they going to wedge all that info into one movie?

babydaddy

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Atom Warlock prob will pop up in the next guardians movie. He was in the 1st one i believe tho.

PsiBorg

We Think, so We'll Know
BGOL Investor
If they really want to do some epic sh*t... Have Adam Warlock show up to fight Thanos.
Then as Thanos is kicking his a** all over the place; Warlock changes into The Magus. Old School Heads know what I'm talking about!