Justice League MOVIE Discussion (The SynderCut Drops 3/18/2021)

tajshan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
who'd have thought being "dead" would give you a sense of humor
Williams-Superman-Score-Justice-League-Elfman-Soundtrack.jpg

:lol:

anyone else feel like Wonder Woman got nerf'd in this movie?

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that. DCEU Batman is really cavalier about the whole 'secret' identity thing. He told Flash before he was even 100% sure that he was in the right place. What if Bruce was wrong about Barry? That batarang would have taken his head off :roflmao::roflmao:

I might have missed it or wasnt paying attention im not sure. Maybe someone can fill me in. But how did WW know that SM name was Kal-El

Lol this what ppl be talking about.

1. The entire world knows everything about superman after that zod shit and especially after that bvs shit.

The kids in the beginning of the damn movie had heard and asked him what the s on the chest meant ... "is it true that.."

So she wouldn't know Kal -El at this point? Lol

Batman knew who they were how else in the world would he know his damn habits and find his place to begin with?
Why would he specifically throw that at him if he didn't know that he was fast?
I mean he literally watched the video of him using his speed abilities hundreds of times tracked him down to his damn house

How?

Come on

chrislee

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Got around to seeing it today. I enjoyed the movie. The banter between the characters is what I enjoyed the most. Cyborg I feel they did the best introducing the audience too. Wonder Woman was on point as you would expect. Batman wasn't all murdery. They did a terrible job of introducing the Flash on the big screen. The socially awkward trait was just not needed. I understand wanting to make him diverse from the tv counterpart but I have 0 interest in a Flash film. I enjoyed When Superman was revived that's when the film picked imo. Having the characters display humor was a step in the right direction. When Diana make Authur spill his guts with the lasso was one of the funnier moments in the movie. Superman having a sense of humor would have really helped MOS. Aquaman wasn't developed much as a character nor was his world of Alantis. Just wish DC took the time to properly build their cinematic universe instead of trying to play catchup.

Last edited:

Darth Furious

Master
Platinum Member
even when dead serious - the movie kept having alternating moments of - who the fuck would do that? vs being trite or extremely corny
tone/ humor doesn't matter when the writing is shit

Every time they started getting a rhythm in action or dialogue etc - it gets disrupted - in BVS it was shit editing and a worse screenplay that kept jarring the viewer from getting into the story -
In JL the screenplay is still atrocious and jarring - imo the whole film is ruined not by humor but poor quality.

for example Wonder Woman had a decent action scene and sequence saving children from criminals that ends with the
criminal saying to her: I don't believe it! What are you?
WW: A believe
r!
141990d9dffc91d5af009c390ff13643--chris-pine-chris-delia.jpg

Hmmmm. I seen it again with the fam. The writing is ALL OVER THE PLACE and this makes the script subpar.

There are some scenes that are written particularly well (Supes do you bleed scene was amazing) but the badly written scenes outweigh them.

Even the nonviable scenes (Lois and ma Kent) are a waste next to the disposed investigation scenes (Bats and Diana talking about Aquaman) and its like they cut the scenes needed to fill the gaps and put in filler. I just don't understand.

This might be on the editor. We've seen different tones in different films before but if its edited correctly, its not something you'd point out. Every film goes through turns and changes and the editor should be shot.

I’m actually tripping out people defending Zach Snyder’s vision on this....

Or even Joss’s Vision...

As if either of these dudes had any control
Over this film. Lol

Exactly. That two hour limit was a bit much and THIS is the film that needed to be more than that. Matter fact, they should've just matched it to Avengers exactly. Scene acts, pacing, scene length and overall runtime.

He knew fam lol
he just happened to throw the bat star wondering what was gonna happen?
He just happened to go to the fish town to find the guy that can live in the water?
He knew they didn't need to beat us over the head with it with him reading a file and then saying "OH SO THAT'S WHAT HAPPENS"

in BVS he did all of that remember? the videos and files and all of that shit?
That's how he was able to call wonder woman's dead man when he was trying to galvanize her to make her a leader

Right. There were some things that were self explanatory but there were so many others that were missing, it makes folks question everything in the script.

Multiple feature players not just a movie with him and then 1 thing and that's it

Ohhhh. That makes sense. I can see this with Aquaman. I didn't know how Khal would pull it off but he did well with what he had to work with on the page. A few of his scenes were cut too.

The first Cap gave us Peggy Carter, Stark and Bucky. The second gave us Black Widow, Falcon, Fury and the Winter Soldier.

They surrounded him with players and it worked perfectly. Doing the same with Art Curry will be just right.

oNE

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Relax! The writing is bad. Just admit it.
Lol this what ppl be talking about.

1. The entire world knows everything about superman after that zod shit and especially after that bvs shit.

The kids in the beginning of the damn movie had heard and asked him what the s on the chest meant ... "is it true that.."

So she wouldn't know Kal -El at this point? Lol

Batman knew who they were how else in the world would he know his damn habits and find his place to begin with?
Why would he specifically throw that at him if he didn't know that he was fast?
I mean he literally watched the video of him using his speed abilities hundreds of times tracked him down to his damn house

How?

Come on

melonpecan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I like comedies - In comedy movies. :hmm:Batman making jokes brings us back to the Bat-tootzi and nigga using bat-shark repellent ala (Adam West) Batman.

Wait.

You didn't like 60's Batman camp? Really? I know it's not the best...but my damn if it didn't get me through my childhood...and if nothing else...Eartha Kitt...

Dammit that a solid question. I can't remember if she learnt that in BvS. And I really don't want to watch BvS again. :lol:

:roflmao2:

TimRock

Don't let me be misunderstood
BGOL Investor
So in Suicide Squad we see Flash arrest Captain Cold. How far apart is SS from Justice League?

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
Relax! The writing is bad. Just admit it.

Admit you were wrong and need to have your hand held lol
Everything I said was easily explained I didn't even have to try and recall it to refute it

Pay attention during the movie don't just come thru like how did they revive super man that made no sense after the fact

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
Hmmmm. I seen it again with the fam. The writing is ALL OVER THE PLACE and this makes the script subpar.

There are some scenes that are written particularly well (Supes do you bleed scene was amazing) but the badly written scenes outweigh them.

Even the nonviable scenes (Lois and ma Kent) are a waste next to the disposed investigation scenes (Bats and Diana talking about Aquaman) and its like they cut the scenes needed to fill the gaps and put in filler. I just don't understand.

This might be on the editor. We've seen different tones in different films before but if its edited correctly, its not something you'd point out. Every film goes through turns and changes and the editor should be shot.

Exactly. That two hour limit was a bit much and THIS is the film that needed to be more than that. Matter fact, they should've just matched it to Avengers exactly. Scene acts, pacing, scene length and overall runtime.

Right. There were some things that were self explanatory but there were so many others that were missing, it makes folks question everything in the script.

Ohhhh. That makes sense. I can see this with Aquaman. I didn't know how Khal would pull it off but he did well with what he had to work with on the page. A few of his scenes were cut too.

The first Cap gave us Peggy Carter, Stark and Bucky. The second gave us Black Widow, Falcon, Fury and the Winter Soldier.

They surrounded him with players and it worked perfectly. Doing the same with Art Curry will be just right.

oNE

100% on the edit

That's the problem
The shit is there whoever they hire to edit these movies please fire them let me edit it

chrislee

Rising Star
Super Moderator
So in Suicide Squad we see Flash arrest Captain Cold. How far apart is SS from Justice League?
I thought about that but Barry did say he pushed people then run. How did Barry get a hold of the shit to make the suit? Bruce said it's made of the same material that astronauts suits are made from. He wasn't working in CSI at that point which I could understand if so. So what gives? Barry was funny but other than that I hated everything about him.

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
No bro. The movie is poorly written. There are plot holes galore that cannot be overlooked and the dialogue is lame.
You are trying hard to "cape" for these heroes. Relax and just let it be bro. It really aint the serious. You tripping.

Admit you were wrong and need to have your hand held lol
Everything I said was easily explained I didn't even have to try and recall it to refute it

Pay attention during the movie don't just come thru like how did they revive super man that made no sense after the fact

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Got around to seeing it today. I enjoyed the movie. The banter between the characters is what I enjoyed the most. Cyborg I feel they did the best introducing the audience too. Wonder Woman was on point as you would expect. Batman wasn't all murdery. They did a terrible job of introducing the Flash on the big screen. The socially awkward trait was just not needed. I understand wanting to make him diverse from the tv counterpart but I have 0 interest in a Flash film. I enjoyed When Superman was revived that's when the film picked imo. Having the characters display humor was a step in the right direction. When Diana make Authur spill his guts with the lasso was one of the funnier moments in the movie. Superman having a sense of humor would have really helped MOS. Aquaman wasn't developed much as a character nor was his world of Alantis. Just wish DC took the time to properly build their cinematic universe instead of trying to play catchup.

Interesting

It seems most of the audiences LOVE this version of the Flash.

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I just got back from seeing it. Omg this movie was an insult to fans of movies period. It was really bad.
Best character was Cyborg. Then Wonder Woman. Then Superman. Aquaman was a joke and had no presence.
The movie felt so long and there was no character development.
The dialogue and story was a joke.

At the beginning a kid asks Superman "What is your favorite part about Earth"? Just as Superman is about to answer the video get cut off. Why?

Wonder Woman is saving the bank from being robbed the robber says "I don't believe it. Who are you"? WW replies "A believer"! WTF?

There is a montage at the beginning that has a song in the background with the singer singing SO LOUD. It took me out of the scenes. So distracting and dumb.

Flash - hated him. He was a whiny bitch. Skinny face faggot. I know he was a young kid but they made the Flash look like a loser. It was mentioned before but he runs like a BITCH straight disgusting.

Aquaman - "My man"
Cyborg - "Boo ya".

I hate Lex Luthor in this. The entire portrayal of him is so weird and a big miss.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Failing On The Basics: Why You Can’t Fix a Film Which Never Had the Right Foundations

NOVEMBER 24, 2017 BY TOM JOLLIFFE 1 COMMENT

Tom Jolliffe on why trying to salvage a film in post production is pointless if you never had the basics right in the first place…

Justice-League-character-promo-images-1-600x334-1-600x334.jpg

So Justice League came out. I’d say too much fanfare but whilst there was undoubtedly excitement, and whilst it has inevitably made a lot of money already (not as much as expected), it seemed to arrive with a fair degree of indifference. That may well be because it is one of those properties, much like Marvel, Disney etc, where the audience has readily accepted they’ll be in the theatre with an overpriced box of popcorn and vat of (insert preferred soft drink name). It’s almost like, “right… Just seen Thor: Ragnarok, what’s next?” That is of course if you discount the ardent fans of either DC or Marvel who stick ardently to their own.

Now this won’t merely be a “lets poke DC’s belly and make fun of it” kind of a piece. That wouldn’t be fair, because whilst they are certainly guilty of certain things I shall mention, they’re not alone in Hollywood. I’ve spoken previously about a lack of imagination creeping into Marvel for example (though this year has been a solid mix of unadulterated fun for them, if still lacking a little ingenuity).

However lets start with Justice League. I won’t go into detail on this one as it is being well covered here, but needless to say, the genesis of the film has been troubled. It’s well documented that they’ve re-shot scenes, shot additional footage, retouched footage, and generally added a hefty dose of Joss Whedon to paper over the cracks that Zack Snyder inevitably leaves behind in any film he makes. This wouldn’t be the first time a film has seen its first cut cause studio panic. The thing is, in normal circumstances, if a studio is hugely confident their property is a nailed on money spinner, they’ll likely come out of a mediocre first cut screening without feeling much need to change too much. Lets face it, audiences, as long as certain boxes are ticked, will often accept average. So for this level of panic to come out, and to come out so publicly, only highlights just how bad that first cut must have been. A studio which, up until Wonder Woman, had put its creative vision largely in the hands of Zack Snyder have put primary focus on the packaging and not what’s inside the box.

Wonder-Woman-Blu-ray-review-6-600x335.jpg

Ultimately, one problem Justice League has, which it has inherited in its DCEU DNA is a lack of identity. Man Of Steel wanted to be a Nolan-lite version of Superman but couldn’t flesh out any sort of character, nor find a tone that fit the legendary character. Whilst it gave up on the Nolan side for a final third of relentless, almost sadistically gleeful Snyderism’s. Subtlety, which only ever peeked inside the door, had long gone, bolting the doors and outer gates shut as it left in an Uber to return to Chris Nolan’s house. Then, as these movies tend to do as they are churned out, every subsequent release will interlink and nod to another. Characters pop up in the other films. We had already been treated to our introduction to Wonder Woman in Batman Vs Superman before she appeared in her own solo movie, which remains the only DCEU film to receive a positive critical response.

Justice League’s messy creation and post-shoot tonal shift was always going to suggest a mediocre critical reception and that proved to be the case again. Wonder Woman proved there’s not a pre-disposition toward anti-DC bias among critics. Frankly that suggestion, particularly if it comes from a film-maker involved is a bit sad. Keyboard warriors are entitled to voice their opinion on a film, or indeed on the reviewers of a film. Granted it boils down to petty insults a lot of times, without discourse (the nature of the net…well, humanity historically). Speaking as a critic, I will say that I don’t get off on savaging a film. I’ll also happily admit to having a preconception about a film that was way off what was delivered. Paddington as an example looked diabolical to me from the trailers and under the preconceived idea of how other similar titles from British literature and TV culture have turned out through big screen adaptations. I expected another Magic Roundabout but the film was a delight. As a critic it is actually the joy of being surprised or falling in love with a film which gives me the most pleasure. I would guess it’s the same for most of my kin. Granted we can’t use as much sarcasm in a good review, but swings and roundabouts.

paddington-600x337.png

There was this idea it seemed, with Justice League, that its disastrous first pass could be fixed by laying on a few simple changes which work in other films. None of these changes seemed to be related to characterisation or plot development (if you’ve not done that from the very beginning and set a structure in place, you can’t pull it out of the air). The most significant fixes that the studio admitted to doing seemed to be on the visual look and the humour. What works at the moment? Marvel. Good, okay…so what do they do well? Bright, colourful films, loaded with wisecracking humour. Films which are fun. That ultimately influenced Wonder Woman no doubt. Snyder’s previous two DC properties were just so dour and so devoid of fun. But this idea that a film that isn’t fun can’t be good is not true. You can turn Superman near monochrome visually and open darker character avenues than previously seen, the key is in the writing and the delivery. None of which were there. Wonder Woman wasn’t a good film because it had some jokes and it had a bit of colour. It was good because the script was, and it had direction. Proper direction. Snyder does montage well. He does pretty shots. What he doesn’t do is shot to shot, scene to scene structure and cohesion.

Studio’s too often seem to look at other films which do well and try to pilfer elements which work for them. The trouble is, if you see these beautiful nuggets of truffle that you want to take to garnish your own dish, what you’re not considering is just the time and care that went into the recipe for that dish. If for arguments sake, Guardian’s Of The Galaxy storms the box office, the critics and the fans all in perfect unison, you have to look at its construction. Do we care about the story? Yes. The characters? Yes. Do the characters work well together? Yes. Okay, it’s not by any stretch a great film, merely a very good one (lack of a strong villain and finale clubs it back down to Earth but this is true of 99% of studio blockbusters these days). DC, or any number of other studios look at superficial aspects that “work” in another film. So in the end they’re shaving expensive truffle over a plate of turd. The dish you deliver may have pig foraged truffle shaved on top, but it’s still a plate of shit.

Cover-art-for-Guardians-of-the-Galaxy_featured_photo_gallery_1-600x328.jpg

Groundwork is where all too many studios don’t begin. I’ve often been frustrated with Marvel as a whole, and how the films had begun resting on their laurels a bit but I do see a consistency and a plan. It seems to me that they’ve considered just how each property ties with the others and how everything will gel together as one long arc when it comes to the bigger get togethers. It’s not clumsy. Yes they’ve taken their sweet time establishing and re-establishing Thanos, but they’ve combined everything into a nice patchwork that you could quite easily sell in Oxfam to a blue-haired old dear. Whereas you look at DC, or other attempted universe builders (The Mummy recently) and they look cobbled (as single entries and pieces of a bigger whole) together with all the skill of a frenzied gorilla let loose with a staple gun.

Audiences are indeed becoming more discerning with these films too. It’s not as easy now as it used to be. You can’t just release any old shit and expect it to strike box office nirvana now. A slightly underwhelming domestic opening for Justice League proves that, whilst the modest predictions for Wonder Woman, which were obliterated with a great opening also prove one thing. Audiences have seen all of this. They’ve ingested all the truffle. What they now require, more than the last 10 or so years, is the dish. Justice League can’t even blame Rotten Tomatoes on this, given they only released the score right before the film’s opening. What they can blame is the much publicised production problems and some utterly abysmal trailers if we’re being frank. Bloody awful. Highlighting murky visuals, inconsistent tones, dreary characters and something that looked inherently messy. If the trailer looks like that, the film is unlikely to be any different. Saying that a near 100 million dollar domestic opening is underwhelming seems a bit daft, but given they spent a gargantuan amount on shooting and “fixing” this, we’re talking about massive figures required just to break even. Of course they will and they’ll turn enough profit not to worry about Aquaman, Wonder Woman 2 or the next Justice League, but it’s a warning. Make a better film.

The-Mummy-Bluray-DVD-1000x600-600x360.jpg

Looking at Tom Cruise’s dreadful universe launcher with The Mummy, which has put the kibosh on a new franchise before it’s even begun it shows that audiences aren’t that forgiving. Then with so much promo and marketing done before the film and so many teasers, trailers and scenes released, they’re given enough and are savvy enough to identify a turkey long before they’ve got near enough their local cinema to park their backside for two and a half hours. It happened too with Terminator: Genisys. If blockbusters are beginning to follow distinctly similar (“winning”) formulas then it would seem most likely that the ones with the most coherence, engaging characters and enjoyment levels will likely have the most impact at the box office. When you get the basics right and lay those solid foundations you’re on the right path and it’ll then be unlikely that thing like extensive re-shoots will be needed to try and salvage something that was never there. If the choices Marvel have made for their directors has proved anything, in comparison to not just DC but a host of other studios, it’s that interesting and inventive choices pay off. I for one paid attention when Taika Waititi was picked for the latest Thor instalment. It shows something braver, more interesting and potentially exciting to think that way rather than go for a Zack Snyder. There are certainly nuggets in Justice League that could transfer well to the solo films. There are positives traits for of course Wonder Woman but also Aquaman (James Wan is a decent choice for his solo outing) and The Flash. Likewise Matt Reeves is a potentially excellent choice for a solo Batman project but what will be absolutely key is the scripts and having a careful and consistent approach to what you want to deliver from the get go.

Tom Jolliffe

https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2017/11/failing-basics-cant-fix-film-never-right-foundations/

ThaBurgerPimp

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
The-Mummy-Bluray-DVD-1000x600-600x360.jpg

Looking at Tom Cruise’s dreadful universe launcher with The Mummy, which has put the kibosh on a new franchise before it’s even begun it shows that audiences aren’t that forgiving.

Cruise got WAY too involved behind the scenes..we probably never will see that Bride Of Frankemstein movie with Jolie,and if it does happen they surely not going to have that DARK UNIVERSE logo before it

ThaBurgerPimp

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Oh that fat bastard got a WHOLE new and bigger set of things to worry about now!

He's actually still writing for that site,just look at the reviews by "Wheels" "Mad Dashiell" "Astro Heathen" "Big Eyes" and under his sister's name,Danni(who is claimed to be in charge of the site now :rolleyes: saw a pic of her and she looks just like him)

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
He's actually still writing for that site,just look at the reviews by "Wheels" "Mad Dashiell" "Astro Heathen" "Big Eyes" and under his sister's name,Danni(who is claimed to be in charge of the site now :rolleyes: saw a pic of her and she looks just like him)

Damn.

Lord T

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I liked it. Not the greatesst film but easily my favorite DCU film to date.

Film felt stitched together in places, but they did do the characters some justice (pun), especially Superman. He actually came off as a hero unlike his previous outings.

Aquaman was ok, Flash was meh, Batman and Wonder Woman were cool, but I was mostly surprised by how they handled Cyborg. I was sure he'd be wack. I was happy he actually was central to the plot.

Decent film, not as good as Avengers, but good enough to build the DCU on.
Saw it earlier yesterday. Pretty much agree with everything EPDC said.

Lord T

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I will say that this is the best superman. I don't care about your nostalgic feelings about any of them either.
He's finally a human being with GOD powers acting like a human being with GOD powers. he has been for 3 renditions and this one is no different.
His moments, each of them were top notch. I can't wait until he gets his next solo film.
Yep!:yes: