QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Fourth-grade girl called ‘Nutella,’ ‘Servant’ by
racist bullies asks for help in viral Facebook video

Link to Video in Daily News Story

bully.jpg

Nasir Andrews, 9, makes viral Facebook video after being
bullied all school year at Ardmore Elementary School.
(KIRO)

After months of seeking help from teachers and school administrators, a Washington fourth grader took to social media to share her story about bullying.

Nasir Andrews doesn’t say a word in her now-viral Facebook video but still delivers a disturbing account of her year at Ardmore Elementary School.

“As 1 of about 8 black kids at my school I never felt included, liked or respected,” the 9-year-old said through a series of phrases written down on index cards.

Her father, Travis Andrews, said his daughter had no trouble making friends at her old school in Georgia and was always a happy girl before she started fourth grade in the Bellevue School District, KIRO 7 reported.

Over the course of the school year, Nasir said students would call her “homeless” because she got reduced price lunches, they would take her snacks and call her names — but no adults offered her much support.

“A student called me ‘Nutella’ and I told my after school teacher and she said it wasn’t racist and she made me write the definition of ‘racist,’” Nasir told the news station.

She said she’s been choked, kicked, pushed and even punched in the face. A boy once drew a gun and wrote the words, “die, die, die” across the top before putting it in her cubby.

“I don’t have any friends,” one of the cards
in her heartbreaking Facebook video reads.

One of the office workers even threw food at her, according to the video.

Travis and his wife, Chatney Andrews, said they’ve also complained to teachers about bullying at the school but didn’t receive any help after months of reaching out. That’s why they decided to create the video with their daughter and share it on Chatney’s Facebook page.

bully23n-2-web.jpg

Nasir Andrews' parents said their 9-year-old never struggled to make friends before
they moved to Washington. (KIRO)

The school did investigate, but dubbed most of the instances “unfortunate peer to peer interaction,” KIRO 7 reported.

“With so many things happening, our fear
is there is a culture that has been established
at the school where it is almost okay for the
children to exercise different harassment,”
her mother said. “And there’s not a conver-
sation being had with them saying, ‘No, this
is unacceptable.”

For now, Nasir’s family is deciding where they want to send her to school next year.

The Bellevue School District released the following statement in response to the video, which has been shared more than 20,000 times:

“We are saddened by the experience shared in the Facebook video ... We are very concerned about the well-being of all of our students. We can assure you that the district and central office leaders continue to work with the family to ensure that their daughter and student at Ardmore is receiving the support they need. The harassment, intimidation and bullying of any student is unacceptable. In the case you referenced, an investigation into the allegations has been in process.”

SOURCE: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/bullied-girl-asks-viral-facebook-video-article-1.3268363

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
NOTE: The facebook video posted in the Daily News story is much better.
THANKING IN ADVANCE, any one with the "Skills" that posts the facebook
version of the video in this thread. Facebook version here.

Qx