Before WWE: 25 Very Best Wrestling Territories

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
What were the territorial promotions? Well back in the 1950's to the early 1980's the WWE wasn't a major nationwide wrestling promotion, they were a promotion that only promoted shows in the northeastern states whereas the northwest was run by Pacific Northwest Wrestling (PNW). Every part of the United States had one as well as Canada, Mexico, Japan, Australia and the Caribbean.

Each promotion or territory will get at most a paragraph with the most well known name it went by and the area of the country they promoted in as the header. The paragraph will include things like the founder, owners, year it was founded and closed, top stars, TV shows, reason for decline among other things. Throughout the article you will see a lot of the acronyms for the promotions.
Full Artical:http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1036248-the-20-very-best-wrestling-territories

TOP TEN

1.Mid-Atlantic Wrestling (Jim Crockett Promotions)

2.World Wide Wrestling Federation

3.American Wrestling Association

4.Championship Wrestling from Florida

5.Continental Wrestling Association

6.World Class Championship Wrestling

7.Georgia Championship Wrestling

8. Mid-South Wrestling

9. Stampede Wrestling

10. Pacific Northwest Wrestling.

Last edited:

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
Put Mid South, Georgia, Memphis and maybe Florida above WWWF and I probably agree.

I grew up on Crockett being from Charlotte but the first time I saw Georgia with Tommy Rich, Buzz Sawyer, and the Freebirds, I was hooked.

stizz3000

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I used to like World Class, especially Iceman Parson, Chris Adams and of course, the Fabulous Freebirds but the damn Von Erichs just won too much for me.

haha true....

my boy was Gino Hernandez though R.I.P ...and Gentleman Chris Adams

dude was a good performer

and .....

DINGO!!!!!!

I LOVE THIS OLD SHIT...AND FUCKIN DESPISE PRO WRESTLING TODAY:lol:

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
Gino was that dude.

Dingo. HAH! I liked the Dingo Warrior but hated the Ultimate Warrior. I refused to call him anything other than Dingo for about six months after he went to the WWF.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
man the Von Erichs were walking Gods here in Texas. You just don't understand...

Bruh, I live in the heart of Flair Country so I understand. I'm sure there are still pockets of people who still worship the VEs but their public behavior and constant arrests, all the while talking about their Christianity killed that company and their reps to a lot of people.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered

:yes:

By working so hard to be the only game in town, Vince has hurt his own product. Before, guys and girls had a lot of different places to work and learn their craft before Vince or Crockett would bring them in and they get national exposure (Magnum TA for example) but now they don't have the same opportunities and they only learn "the WWE style" and all the matches end up looking alike. That's why guys like Punk, Bryan, and Cesaro are just having killer match after killer match mixing in new spots while other people like Ziggler have basically the same match every week. The last great run of talent they truly produced was when they had developmental agreements with Cornette and Danny Davis in OVW and Jody Hamilton in Deep South. Those guys got to work with old school minded veterans and then went to work on Raw with an understanding of what they were doing.

xspade7

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
WWWF rank high due to them being in a major market (NYC and Boston) also payouts was good.

PNW should be higher due to making good money.

Even though I enjoy watching Memphis but payouts was horrible.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
WWWF rank high due to them being in a major market (NYC and Boston) also payouts was good.

PNW should be higher due to making good money.

Even though I enjoy watching Memphis but payouts was horrible.

:yes: For everyone not named Lawler, Dundee, or Valiant. But Memphis worked everyday in front of hot crowds and was a small territory so guys went there to learn, going from there to bigger territories to make money.
Pacific Northwest wasn't much different but it was small too so the travel wasn't as grueling as Mid South or the cost of living as high as New York.

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
fc,550x550,white.jpg

HandspeedJohnson

The Mighty
Registered
I sometimes hope that the territories will come back. I know we have promo's coming back and AEW partnering with NWA and Impact, but we need more. WWE needs competition.