African-American ex-tennis star James Blake says he was roughed up, cuffed outside Mi

MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator
EXCLUSIVE: African-American ex-tennis star James Blake says he was roughed up, cuffed outside Midtown Hyatt as NYPD cops mistook him for ID theft suspect

1 hour ago
Heyward Johnson
As Paul Mooney would say he got his N _ _ _ get wake up call and it seems he's still in denial about what this was really about.

390-blake-0909.jpg

aptopix-open-tennis.jpg

James Blake, seen here during his match against Marcel Granollers at the 2012 U.S. Open, calls the incident 'definitely scary and definitely crazy.'

Former tennis great James Blake was slammed to the ground, handcuffed and detained by five plainclothes city cops Wednesday outside his midtown hotel before heading out to the U.S. Open, Blake told the Daily News.

The officers, who were all white, mistook Blake for a suspect in an identity theft ring operating around the midtown hotel.

FORMER TENNIS PLAYER JAMES BLAKE TO RUN NYC MARATHON

The incident occurred around noon in front of the Grand Hyatt on East 42 St., as Blake, a 35-year-old African-American who attended Harvard before going on tour, was waiting for a car to take him to Flushing Meadows, where he was making corporate appearances for Time-Warner Cable.

"It was definitely scary and definitely crazy," said Blake, who was once ranked No. 4 in the world and was among the most popular U.S. players of his generation. He suffered a cut to his left elbow and bruises to his left leg.

CELEBS SHOW TO WITNESS SERENA WILLIAMS OUST SISTER VENUS AT U.S. OPEN

Asked if he considered it a case of racial profiling, Blake said, "I don't know if it's as simple as that. To me it's as simple as unnecessary police force, no matter what my race is. In my mind there's probably a race factor involved, but no matter what there's no reason for anybody to do that to anybody.
man-assaulted-front-hyatt-hotel.jpg

"You'd think they could say, 'Hey, we want to talk to you. We are looking into something. I was just standing there. I wasn't running. It's not even close (to be okay). It's blatantly unnecessary. You would think at some point they would get the memo that this isn't okay, but it seems that there's no stopping it."

DEFENDING U.S. OPEN CHAMP MARIN CILIC OUTLASTS JO-WILFRIED TSONGA TO REACH SEMIFINALS

Blake said he had just answered a few questions from a writer for a tennis magazine and was texting when he looked up and saw someone in shorts and a T-shirt charging at him, splitting the doorman outside the Hyatt, an official hotel for the U.S. Tennis Association.

"Maybe I'm naïve, but I just assumed it was someone I went to high school with or something who was running at me to give me a big hug, so I smiled at the guy," Blake said. Blake said the officer, who he said was not wearing a badge, picked him up and threw him down on the sidewalk, yelled at him to roll over on his face and said, "Don't say a word."

Blake said he responded, "I'm going to do whatever you say. I'm going to cooperate. But do you mind if I ask what this is all about?"

An officer said, "We'll tell you. You are in safe hands."
tennis-open.jpg

.James Blake of the U.S. waves to the crowd after losing to Ivo Karlovicat the 2013 U.S. Open. He had announced that he would retire after the Open.

Said Blake, "I didn't feel very safe."

FOLLOW THE DAILY NEWS SPORTS ON FACEBOOK. "LIKE" US HERE.

Blake said several other officers rushed up to join the first officer, eventually five cops in all surrounding him. He said he was told he had been identified by two people as someone who had been involved in an identity-theft ring operating in the area for the last week.

Blake arrived in the city early Wednesday morning, taking the redeye form his home in San Diego, where he lives with his wife and young children. He told the cops to look at his license, in his left front pocket, and his Open credential, in his back pocket.

After being handcuffed for about 15 minutes, Blake said the last of the five officers realized they had the wrong person and apologized. The first officer who tackled and cuffed him never said anything.

Known for his charitable and community-centered work throughout his career, Blake just last week announced he was running the New York City Marathon to raise money for cancer research.

open-tennis-usta.jpg

James Blake would like an apology from the NYPD.

Said a source close to Blake, "For all the people this to happen to. James Blake is one of the nicest people you could ever want to meet."

Blake said at first he didn't want to discuss the incident publicly, but felt he had an obligation to bring to light another instance of excessive police.

"I have resources to get to the bottom of this. I have a voice," Blake said. "But what about someone who doesn't have those resources and doesn't have a voice?

The real problem is that I was tackled for no reason and that happens to a lot of people who don't have a media outlet to voice that to.

Blake said he would like an apology from the NYPD, and like to know there would be some repercussions for the officers involved, "so they know it's not okay to go out there and do this again tomorrow."

Blake eventually got in the car and went to the Open, an event that has long been his favorite event and where he was as popular as any player in the world. He said he wanted to honor his commitments, though he was still plenty shaken up several hours later.

"It's hard to believe this can still be happening," he said.

Sort

1 hour ago
M Jimenez
Just another day "living while black".

LikeReply

1 hour ago
Yogi Tom
Has nothing to do with being black. It happened to me once and I'm white.

LikeReply

1 hour ago
KingChris
The problem is it should never happen to innocent people! PERIOD!

LikeReply

42 minutes ago
zebra8488
Exactly,race aside,cops have a tendancy to get tough first,and ask questions later.They should try to ask for some ID before hurting anyone,unless the guy is wielding a weapon...................................

1 hour ago
Paul Britton
You're an idiot.

LikeReply

55 minutes ago
Sam Harris
Prove it. Prove you were tackled by cop. If you can't prove it, then your point is moot and classic hearsay.

LikeReply

5 minutes ago
nigel morgan
Grow up and stop acting like a child......idiot

40 minutes ago
steam
Never need to slam people on the floor unless they have displayed a weapon or act in a threatening manner. More is accomplished with suspects or citizens when everyone stays calm and gets the facts first.

LikeReply

38 minutes ago
d w
me too...

LikeReply

3 minutes ago
d w
Joe Push Ive been tackled by the police and also been banged around on the hood of my own car in Manhattan. I was also left in the back of a police car for 45 minutes to make a point...

23 minutes ago
Em Cee
Yogi, Woody Allen once said that rationalization is better than sex because no one goes a week
without rationalizing. It appears that you should get laid more often because that's maybe the
most egregious rationalization I have ever read.

LikeReply

This comment has been deleted

10 minutes ago
Joe Push
Getting physically assaulted -- tackled, slammed to the pavement, injured -- isn't getting "hassled." It's being attacked. And expecting something to be done about it isn't whining. D W (Dumb and White, I'm guessing), you, like every racist, use the "might've been armed" lie to excuse police brutality and abuse. It's not excusable.

15 minutes ago
Bobby Cordero
Yeah but you were guilty.

LikeReply

Less than a minute ago
d w
I wasn't they thought I was some guy that started a bar fight... I just came out of a restaurant and proved it eventually....

56 minutes ago
Dan C
and you know this how Mr. Jimenez?
i thought you were latin

LikeReply

33 minutes ago
Phace Melody
umm... what u think Latin people's genetics consist of?

LikeReply

21 minutes ago
Margarita Tamarit
Umm. I'm of Latin decent and I'm clearly not black. Race and ethnicity are two VERY different things.

21 minutes ago
Tyler Smith
what does him being Latin have to do with anything. Go ask Anthony Beaz

LikeReply

11 minutes ago
OM McD
There are also black Hispanics.

LikeReply

41 minutes ago
steam
It seems that way and very wrong!

LikeReply

10 minutes ago
d w
Just another day "living while black"... Do you mean the media spinning another story into a racial situation...You know it's to sell news papers, advertising space, and competition with other media companies... It's all about money. This paper isn't trying to better society, just in sighting it enough to keep the outraged spending money and blasted with advertising....

LikeReply

3 minutes ago
d w
Cops got a description of a guy steeling identity.

LikeReply

1 hour ago
KingChris
Are you defending the police actions in this incident?

LikeReply

1 hour ago
Amelia Parrotlet
Yes Yogi you have proved your comment to be correct by your own words.

LikeReply

1 hour ago
Gregg Morris
!!!!!! - you are so right !!!!

LikeReply

1 hour ago
Heyward Johnson
As Paul Mooney would say he got his N _ _ _ get wake up call and it seems he's still in denial about what this was really about.

LikeReply

48 minutes ago
steam
Wow that is really crazy! The guy is slammed to the floor and the after realizing they made a mistake only one apologized? That is just dumb and plain wrong! This guy doesn't even look mean or threatening, why on earth treat someone like that? Please no free police advice on this one I know enough when it comes to screwing up an aborted arrest. These days to let the man go without an apology is a bad mistake and unprofessional.

MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator
Re: African-American ex-tennis star James Blake says he was roughed up, cuffed outsid

lupica10s-4-web.jpg

Former tennis star James Blake outside the Grand Hyatt Hotel entrance where he was wrongly thrown to the ground and handcuffed by police officers looking for someone else.

<iframe width="476" height="270" src="http://abc7ny.com/video/embed/?pid=976032" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He was a young African-American tennis star on the rise, born in Yonkers and raised in Fairfield County, and there was a time at the United States Open tennis tournament, sometimes on the stadium court named after Arthur Ashe, when James Blake made the crowd at Ashe Stadium go wild for him.

There was a time when they thought at the Open that Blake, who left Harvard early to chase his tennis dreams, would at least make it to the last weekend, which he never did, as close as he came.

But they did love him at the Open when he was younger, during this long, amazing dry spell in men’s tennis when no American man has won a major title since Andy Roddick won the Open back in 2003.

“You’d think they could say, ‘Hey, we want to talk to you,’” Blake said. “‘We are looking into something.’ I was just standing there. I wasn’t running. It’s not even close (to being OK). It’s blatantly unnecessary. You would think that at some point they would get the memo that this isn’t OK, but it’s seems there’s no stopping it.”
Blake played with flair and passion and speed, played to the people in the crowd like a showman, and he at least made the quarters of the Open twice. And was once ranked No. 4 in the world.

James Blake also won 10 tournaments and millions in prize money before retiring for good at the Open two years ago, after 14 years as a pro. Blake got married after that and became a father and on Wednesday afternoon, he was a young man, black, on the ground in front of the Grand Hyatt on 42nd St., right next to Grand Central, because some undercover cops mistook him for a criminal.

This is what can happen, even if you once were a tennis star in New York City at this time of year and could do a pretty good job of rocking the house at Arthur Ashe Stadium against stars such as Andre Agassi, once the cheering stops.

“It’s hard to believe this is still happening,” James Blake said to Wayne Coffey of the Daily News after Blake had been put on the ground and handcuffed before the cops who rushed him because they thought he was the bad guy in some scam about identity theft realized, much too late, that they had the wrong guy.

So this is how it happens for James Blake, one of ours once at the Open, Harvard guy, gentleman of his sport for a long time, almost 10 years to the day from when he had his best and loudest moment at his country’s national championship, against Agassi in the quarterfinals of the ’05 Open, one of those loud, storied second-week matches that went past one in the morning.

Blake was 25 that year and Agassi was 35, trying to make the kind of run to the semis, at a slightly younger age, that Jimmy Connors had made 14 years earlier, at the age of 39. But Blake, running all the way to Roosevelt Ave. that night to run down shots, was trying to play himself into the semis of the Open, trying to write his own big tennis story, and take out one of the great American players of all time.

lupica10s-3-web.jpg

Once a huge star in tennis, Blake's wrongful handcuffing is a bad look for the NYPD.
He got ahead 6-3, 6-3. He looked young, Agassi looked old. But then Agassi got the third set at 6-3 and got the fourth set by the same score. People who were there that night will tell you how the noise kept getting bigger at Ashe, the way it can, the longer this match went. Finally Agassi won it, 7-6, in the fifth.

When it was over Blake said, “It couldn’t have been more fun to lose.”

Agassi said, “At 1:15 in the morning, for 20,000 people to still be here, I wasn’t the winner. Tennis was.”

Blake was a part of a moment in American tennis like that. He did as much to make the night as Agassi did. Now he flies in from San Diego on the red eye to attend the 2015 U.S. Open and gets made as a criminal and put on the sidewalk by overzealous cops, all white, on 42nd St. while he is waiting for a courtesy car.

“You’d think they could say, ‘Hey, we want to talk to you,’” Blake said. “‘We are looking into something.’ I was just standing there. I wasn’t running. It’s not even close (to being OK). It’s blatantly unnecessary. You would think that at some point they would get the memo that this isn’t OK, but it’s seems there’s no stopping it.”

This was about Blake being made by a couple of people who said he had been involved in an identity-theft ring operating in the area around the Hyatt and Grand Central for the past week. Before long he was in handcuffs. As it was all happening, according to Blake, he told the cops rousting him to look at his driver’s license, and a credential for the Open that he had in one of his pockets

tennis-open.jpg

Blake said later that one of the cops involved had apologized when he realized they had the wrong guy. The cop who put Blake on the ground — again according to James Blake — never said a word to him. It had apparently been easier putting Blake on the ground like that than forming a simple declarative sentence about being stupid. This wasn’t a member of the NYPD stopping someone for suspicious activity, unless a young black guy waiting for a courtesy car at an official U.S. Open hotel now qualifies as justification for excessive force, here or anywhere in America in the summer of 2015.

Blake’s version of things is that once he was down on the sidewalk the first cop to get to him told him to roll over and not say a word. Blake said he told the cop, “I’m going to do whatever you say.”

The cop told James Blake he was in safe hands. Sure he was. Blake liked New York City better when he had a tennis racket in his hands.

The NYPD owes him an apology. So does the mayor. In what we’re told is such a safe summer in the city, James Blake wasn’t.

MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator
Re: African-American ex-tennis star James Blake says he was roughed up, cuffed outsid

NOT HIS FIRST TIME UNDER FIRE: Cop who tackled James Blake sued 4 times for excessive force, roughing up suspects during arrests

390-frascatore-0911.jpg

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OuRwN4DcgIU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
frascatore12n-6-web.jpg

Frascatore is suing Cline, claiming he sustained "permanent" injuries from Cline's car while trying to arrest him.

The officer "became sick, sore, lame and disabled…(and) has been permanently injured," the lawsuit claimed.

The complaint was filed in June, just three months before he allegedly body-slammed Blake to the ground without identifying himself as a cop outside a Manhattan hotel.

In January 2013, Frascatore and two other officers arrested Warren Diggs and pinned him to the ground for riding his bike on the sidewalk, Diggs’ girlfriend said.

Diggs was hit in the head, causing him to be concussed, and officers kicked and punched him as he lay face down on the ground, according to a complaint filed in April.

NOAM GALAI/WIREIMAGE
Diggs was charged with pot possession and resisting arrest and his girlfriend, Nafeesah Hines, was arrested for tampering with evidence. Their criminal case was later dismissed.

Diggs alleged Frascatore and the other cops lied under oath about what happened. Hines sued the city for false arrest and settled her case out of court for $22,500.

In May 2013, Frascatore was one of four officers who followed a Queens man into a bodega, where a cop pepper-sprayed him repeatedly while he was down, according to a lawsuit and surveillance footage obtained by the Daily News.

Stefon Luckey said the cops began yelling racial epithets at him outside a St. Albans bodega in May 2013. Luckey said he entered the deli, where he was punched and pepper-sprayed by an unspecified officer.

Two of the officers had walked out of the deli as the brutality continued, video shows.
y-h-deli-pepper-spraying.jpg

frascatore12n-4-web.jpg

frascatore12n-3-web.jpg

frascatore12n-2-web.jpg

Luckey was thrown in cuffs and was later released without charges.

The officers submitted "false statements" about what happened "in an effort to cover up and/or conceal their unlawful conduct," the complaint alleges.

In June 2013, Frascatore and five unnamed cops "viciously and violently" beat up a Queens man during an arrest without a warrant, according to a complaint filed in June 2014.

Samuel Pringle said he was hit from behind and thrown to the ground before he was pinned down by the officers' knees.

Since Blake’s arrest Wednesday, Frascatore has been placed on modified duty and has had his gun and badge yanked as police investigate.

NYPD Commissioner Bill Bratton raised concerns about Blake’s takedown and arrest Thursday, noting Frascatore did not file a report about the bogus arrest.

The Civilian Complaint Review Board has opened an investigation into Frascatore, who has previously had five complaints lodged against him, according to court documents.

MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator

Woman once arrested by cop who tackled tennis star James Blake says officer was 'arrogant,' wouldn't identify himself

frascatoreweb11n-1-web.jpg

A woman once arrested by the officer who tackled tennis star James Blake said the cop was an “arrogant” liar who refused to identify himself.

Nafeesah Hines, 45, saw Officer James Frascatore pinning her boyfriend, Warren Diggs, to her driveway with two other officers on Jan. 12, 2013, for riding his bike on the sidewalk.

“I asked them what was going on, they asked what I was doing,” Hines said. “I told my daughter to go get my phone. I started recording. I told them I need to get first and last names and badge numbers.”

She said two of the officers quickly gave their names and shield numbers, as is department protocol, but Frascatore declined.

EXCLUSIVE: EX-TENNIS STAR JAMES BLAKE TACKLED BY WHITE COPS

“He flat-out refused,” said Hines, a mother of two.

Soon after, Hines moved her boyfriend's fold-out bike, which was sitting near the sidewalk, into the house, she said.

The cops, with backup, then came to the front door and told her she was tampering with evidence. She said she told them she would get the bike but asked them to step back because she felt threatened.

frascatoreweb11n-3-web.jpg
86781730.jpg

“Officer Frascatore grabbed me, pulled me out of the house,” she said.

Hines was arrested for tampering with evidence after moving the bike into the house. Diggs was charged with pot possession and resisting arrest. All charges were later dismissed.

LUPICA: JAMES BLAKE DESERVES AN APOLOGY FROM NYPD, MAYOR

In the criminal complaint, obtained by WNYC, Frascatore said Hines swore at him and there was a brief tug-of-war over the bike. Neither claim was supported in the recording Hines had made, the station reported.

A Civilian Complaint Review Board Investigation later found inconsistencies between Frascatore’s testimony and what was shown in the recording, WNYC reported.

“He was very arrogant, overly so,” Hines said of Frascatore. “It’s lucky I recorded. If I hadn’t, forget it. There would have been no way to prove it.”

The police watchdog agency also substantiated Hines’ claim that Frascatore refused to identify himself, according to a law enforcement source.

COURTESY
Frascatore mistakenly nabbed retired tennis star James Blake while hunting for this man.
NYPD COP WHO TACKLED JAMES BLAKE COVERED UP ARREST

The agency recommended the NYPD retrain Frascatore on protocol. It was not immediately clear if that retraining ever took place.

Hines sued the city for false arrest and settled out of court for $22,500, said her lawyer, Amy Rameau.

Diggs currently has a federal civil rights lawsuit open against the city and names Frascatore as one of the arresting officers.

“He treated my clients like dirt. He showed no regard,” said Rameau, who is also representing Diggs. “This guy has a tendency to act out of line.”

Hines said she was surprised Frascatore was allowed to be on patrol.

“I’m at a total and complete loss as to why he’s out and about among the people,” she said.

article-blake-0910.jpg

NYPD cop who tackled James Blake covered up arrest
Bondy: James Blake arrest a reminder about race at U.S. Open
TAGS: nypd , james blake

MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator

RAW: Moment Tennis Star James Blake Slammed into Pavement by NYPD cop in Mistaken Arrest

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kUgAT_LEJvk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Moment tennis Star James Blake mistook for theft suspect is handcuffed outside Midtown Hotel by NYPD Cops...

The video shows the moment James Blake was tackled by officers while standing outside a Manhattan hotel.

The NYPD on Friday released a hotel surveillance video that shows the vicious takedown of tennis great James Blake by a hulking plainclothes police officer.

Newly released security footage shows plainclothes NYPD officer James Frascatore tackling retired tennis star James Blake to the ground and handcuffing him in a case of mistaken identity.

The incident outside the Grand Hyatt Hotel in Manhattan on Sept. 9 sparked a firestorm and calls from Blake for an apology from the department.

"The NYPD's Internal Affairs Bureau interviewed James Blake last night," NYPD chief spokesman Stephen Davis said today in a statement. "A copy of the video was provided to Mr. Blake's attorney. The investigation is still ongoing."

Frascatore, the officer seen in the video, has been stripped of his gun and badge and placed on modified assignment pending the IAB investigation, NYPD Commissioner William Bratton said in a news conference on Thursday.

Bratton also apologized to Blake over the phone Thursday afternoon.

Blake, 35, told ABC's "Good Morning America" that he was standing outside the hotel while waiting to be driven to the U.S. Open for a promotional appearance around noon Wednesday, when he looked up from his phone and saw someone charging at him. Police had been looking for a credit card fraud suspect.

"He picked me up and body slammed me and put me on the ground and told me to turn over and shut my mouth and put the cuffs on me," Blake said of the plainclothes NYPD officer. "The first words out of my mouth were, 'I'm going to 100 percent cooperate. I don't want any incident or whatever,' just out of reaction from what I've seen in the media.

"At no time did he let me know he was a police officer. He just put the cuffs on me and said, 'Stand up,'" Blake said. "I asked what was going on and he said, 'We'll tell you soon.'"

Four other cops then joined the officer who detained Blake. He was handcuffed for 15 minutes before the cops realized they had the wrong person and released him.

Patrick Lynch, the head of the Patrolmen's Benevolent Association, said Thursday there shouldn't be a rush to judgment, according to the Associated Press.

"No police officer should ever face punitive action before a complete review of the facts," he said.

MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hPQ4BSnjEl0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
:smh::smh:

MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator

Australian James Blake lookalike speaks out on NYPD 'mess'

blake16n-3-web.jpg

He has a twin brother — but it’s not James Blake.

Sean Satha, who lives in Australia, is the innocent man in a photo that NYPD Commissioner Bill Bratton said “looks like the twin brother of Mr. Blake” and led cops to body-slam the tennis star by mistake.

“My name's Sean — and I have been widely reported as the initial suspect leading to James Blake's mistaken arrest,” Satha wrote in an e-mail obtained by the Daily News.

“I actually have a twin brother and would be horrified if he was treated in such a way for merely resembling me,” Satha wrote. “I have a huge amount of respect for James Blake and his handling of the situation.”

Satha wrote that the image was taken from his brother’s Instagram account and depicted him holding his friend’s newborn son. The baby was cut out in the photo used to identify Blake.
blake16n-2-web.jpg

Officer James Frascatore tackled Blake on the sidewalk and cuffed him outside the Grand Hyatt Hotel in Midtown on Sept. 9 under the mistaken belief that he was a credit card thief, cops said.

Frascatore was one of six cops ready to pounce on whomever showed up to pay a courier delivering high-end goods that had been bought with stolen credit card information.

They were armed with a photo of Satha, which police sources said the company that tipped off the cops to the alleged credit card fraud ring found on the Internet.

It took Blake coming forward to the Daily News with his account of being manhandled by the plainclothes cop to put the incident on the NYPD’s radar.
james-blake.jpg
blake16n-4-web.jpg

Satha, who runs a sunglasses company called Local Supply, wrote that he was “disturbed by the assault and intimidation” that Blake suffered.

“My name is clearly tagged at the bottom of the photo — so I feel this whole mess could have been avoided if someone had spent 10 minutes doing some research on Google prior to the manhunt,” Satha wrote.

Satha wrote that he was halfway around the world when the takedown happened.

“I was home in Australia during the entire course of events, I was never a suspect in this case and I have nothing to do with these crimes,” he said.

Satha signed the email, "Sean (a.k.a. James Blake's 'twin brother')."

MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator

PBA President Pat Lynch: Unless you’ve been in a police officer’s shoes, don’t rush to judgment

pba16n-1-web.jpg

PBA President Patrick Lynch says that everyone needs to wait in order to get an informed opinion, not rush to judgement of police officers so quickly.

If you have never struggled with someone who is resisting arrest or who pulled a gun or knife on you when you approached them for breaking a law, then you are not qualified to judge the actions of police officers putting themselves in harm’s way for the public good.

It is mystifying to all police officers to see pundits and editorial writers whose only expertise is writing fast-breaking personal opinion, and who have never faced the dangers that police officers routinely do, come to instant conclusions that an officer’s actions were wrong based upon nothing but a silent video. That is irresponsible, unjust and un-American. Worse than that, your uninformed rhetoric is inflammatory and only serves to worsen police-community relations.

In the unfortunate case of former tennis pro James Blake — who was clearly but mistakenly identified by a complainant — there certainly can be mitigating circumstances that caused the officer to handle the situation in the manner he did. Do they exist? Frankly, no one will know for sure until there is a full and complete investigation. That is why no one should ever jump to an uninformed conclusion based upon a few seconds of video. Let all of the facts lead where they will, but police officers have earned the benefit of the doubt because of the dangers we routinely face.

The men and women of the NYPD are once again disheartened to read another knee-jerk reaction from ivory tower pundits who enjoy the safety provided by our Police Department without understanding the very real risks that we take to provide that safety. Due process is the American way of obtaining justice, not summary professional execution called for by editorial writers.

Lynch is president of the Patrolmen’s Benevolent Association, the city’s largest police union.
Gee Patty... I walked in those shoes for THIRTY YEARS and I'm seeing the same things wrong that most of the public sees. Maybe that's because I'm OLD SCHOOL. We treated the PUBLIC who made it possible for US to collect our paychecks with respect. We never rushed to judgment that a suspect was guilty of a crime and could be used and abused because they then held some sort of less than human, or even less than animal status. Our first greeting of a suspect was not with violence unless there was some CONCRETE indication that we would be met with violence. We spoke to people, introduced ourselves and acted like civilized human beings instead of a GANG of goons and thugs. In a situation like this where we were approaching someone about a non-violent crime on someone else's say so, because we did NOT personally witness this individual commit a crime we were ESPECIALLY mindful that this is a citizen, who had rights under our Constitution and Laws and was deserving of the same respect we would give to our Mother, or our Spouse, or our Priest. Apparently modern day "police officers" are too busy dressing up to play "Army" and thugging unarmed people with enough manpower and militarized armaments to start a revolution in some small countries to remember that. Maybe it's time for you kids to put away your Army suits and get back to the basics of policing none of you seem to know. You are here to Protect and Serve. The people you encounter on the streets are not some sort of sub species, they are YOUR EMPLOYER, and you best not forget that. Your BOSSES are getting fed up with your antics. If your membership can't straighten up and fly right, as we learned in Camden, N.J. the BOSSES can correct that!
Mr Lynch, the benefit of the doubt is rare, whether it is a police officer, or an innocent civilian. Unfortunately for you, not even your own commissioner is willing to give an officer, who has four lawsuits pending, that much. The public will not give it either, since unedited video evidence is usually strong evidence (as most officers will attest in court), and especially when released by the NYPD.
LikeReplyShare7

11 hours ago
Jim Mannie
Have your investigation Pat. I know its your job but if I were James Blake, I'd want this guys butt nailed to the wall. This wasn't a split second decision gone bad. When a cop screws up this badly he has to go.
LikeReplyShare3

12 hours ago
fish hook
Many of us have been there done that , some of us decided to take a different career path.
Do not play with our intelligence, since our comments are( unamerican) to you,..........then, what is american.?
LikeReplyShare3

45 minutes ago
Kevin Winters
Keep digging yourself a hole. The very thing that makes the union strong (defending it's officers) is going to bring it down. Rabid defense of total idiots on the force has turned public opinion against you, and each time you defend some idiot or some racist cop you're digging the hole deeper.
LikeReplyShare0

3 hours ago
emory crawford
To Patrick Lynch, Iand the ANYONE in the public arena are PERFECTLY qualified to question thebehavior and fitness of ALL police officers because it is the electorate/publicwho pay for the service of policing and it is the public/electorate who is to beSERVED by the police (NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND). Both the law enforcementindustry and the general public must undergo a paradigm shift in WHO serves WHOand WHO is WHO is responsible to WHO. I will go further in stating by yourarrogance and ignorance in addressing this issues calls into question YOURFITNESS to appropriately represent the public as a conduit between the policeand the public. There is no doubt that law enforcement is stressful, demandingand dangerous. However, if the environment is so demanding that officers cannot conduct themselves in a fit manner to engender the cooperation of thegeneral public, then reforms are obviously needed.

MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator

OFFICER 'ACTED LIKE LONE RANGER': Officials call for firing of NYPD cop who roughed up former tennis star James Blake

blake17n-2-web.jpg

blake17n-3-web.jpg

A crowd of 30 government officials and activists filled the steps of City Hall to demand the dismissal of a city cop videotaped manhandling retired tennis star James Blake.

Officer James Frascatore, who was defended by the police union, should be fired to send a message about NYPD mistreatment of minorities, said City Council member Andy King (D-Bronx).

Commissioner Bill Bratton “has a responsibility, he and the mayor, to take a real deep look into themselves to say something is wrong with this officer,” King said Wednesday.

EDITORIAL: HOW NOT TO ARREST JAMES BLAKE, OR ANYONE

“This is a situation that calls for termination. We’re asking you to hold your officers accountable.”
james-blake.jpg
blake17n-7-web.jpg

The officer tackled James Black outside the Grand Hyatt Hotel on W. 42nd St. in a stolen credit card investigation.

Frascatore, who is white, tackled the black athlete outside the Grand Hyatt Hotel on W. 42nd St. in a stolen credit card investigation.

Blake said neither Frascatore nor any of the other cops on the scene identified themselves as police officers before the Sept. 9 scuffle that left the once-

“This officer acted like the Lone Ranger,” said NAACP leader Jerome Rice. “How many CCRB complaints should an officer have in their record? ... It’s unacceptable.”

Frascatore — who had five previous complaints filed against him with the Civilian Complaint Review Board — slammed Blake to the sidewalk in a quick takedown.

Patrolmen’s Benevolent Association president Patrick Lynch blasted criticism of the officer as “another knee-jerk reaction from ivory tower pundits.”

But former City Council member Laurie Cobb said the latest incident indicated the NYPD needed to take action.

“We can no longer continue to say there are a few bad apples,” said Cobb. “Once we recognize those bad apples, then it is our responsibility to remove those bad apples.”

NYPD Officer James Frascatore had five previous complaints filed against him with the Civilian Complaint Review Board.
HANDOUT
NYPD Officer James Frascatore had five previous complaints filed against him with the Civilian Complaint Review Board.
Joey Johnson, 58, led a small protest outside the 17th Precinct stationhouse in Midtown calling for Frascatore’s firing.

“Why isn’t he arrested?” shouted Johnson. “Why isn’t he in jail?”
blake17n-8-web.jpg

Shadow22

Rising Star
Registered
I always admired James Blake as a fellow tennis champ. This kicks my admiration to another level. I hope that guy who committed this harsh crime against blake is fired and pension taken away 4 good .

MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator
upload_2018-7-9_7-8-58.gif
Cop who tackled James Blake claims he ‘escorted’ tennis star in new book
The NYPD cop who body-slammed tennis player James Blake is writing a book that claims he just “escorted” the athlete to the ground when he tackled him three years ago and that his technique should be on police training videos.

Officer James Frascatore has been banished to desk duty and stripped of his badge and gun ever since he pounced on Blake outside the Grand Hyatt hotel in Midtown on Sept. 9, 2015, in a case of mistaken identity.

Surveillance video shows the cop grabbing an unsuspecting Blake by the arm and back of the neck and hurling him to the ground, with his arm around the athlete’s neck.

Frascatore, who is white, had mistaken the black athlete for a credit-card fraud suspect who he said could “pass for James Blake’s twin.” The blunder ignited a racial firestorm that led to the cop being publicly shunned by then-Police Commissioner Bill Bratton and pulled from his post in the financial-crimes unit.

But Frascatore claims in his book — which has yet to find a publisher and is tentatively titled “Underneath the Uniform: Story Behind the James Blake Incident” — that he “escorted [Blake] down to the ground” so cleanly that NYPD officials wanted to use the footage in training videos.

“It’s called a straight-arm-bar takedown,” he told The Post, denying it was a body slam. “It’s a proper technique that every law-enforcement agency trains their officers to use in the workforce.

“From supervisors, upper brass, even people in the training division actually wanted to use that video as a training tool. They were told absolutely not,” he added.

Even though a civilian review board called it excessive force, Frascatore insisted the takedown was necessary.

SEE ALSO
upload_2018-7-9_7-8-44.gif
Cop who mistakenly tackled James Blake tells his side of the story

“I felt him twitch to the left, and I thought he was about to run down 42nd Street,” he said. “That’s when I escorted him down to the ground.”

Frascatore says he was only following orders. A cooperating witness had fingered Blake, and Frascatore says he was told by his supervising officer, Detective Daniel Herzog, to make the arrest.

Choking back tears, Frascatore said he has been scapegoated.

“It’s put my family through hell,” he said. “Professionally, I’m in turmoil. Personally, [my] life has been destroyed. That’s the real story. James Blake’s life has gone on.”

Frascatore earned $97,293 with the NYPD last year, according to SeeThroughNY. The NYPD did not respond to requests for comment.

Additional reporting by Max Jaeger