49ers

Discussion in 'Sports' started by largebillsonlyplease, Feb 21, 2013.

1. CurtDawg

CurtDawg Well-Known Member

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/188935-2017-training-camp-thread/page42/

2017-07-28 1:34 PM | Joe Fann
    14 Observations from 49ers Training Camp: July 28
    2017 49ers Training Camp Arrival Day
    The San Francisco 49ers opened training camp on Friday with their first practice, a non-padded session from the SAP Performance Facility. Reuben Foster, Marquise Goodwin and others provided the initial highlights of what will be an entertaining month in Santa Clara.
    Here are the top observations from Friday.

1. During the first 20 minutes of practice, breaking news came through that Solomon Thomas had signed his contract. The third-overall pick went straight to the locker room to get dressed before heading out to the practice field. He did a light warmup with strength and conditioning coach Ray Wright but did not do any work with the full team. Kyle Shanahan told reporters on Friday that Thomas is expected to be a full participant on Saturday.

2. Speaking of rookies, Foster provided the first turnover of camp when he intercepted C.J. Beathard on a tipped pass over the middle during a 7-on-7 period. Foster returned it for what could have been a pick-six. The linebacker spent most of practice running with the threes.
    "It was good to get him out there," Shanahan said after practice.
    Friday was Foster's first full-team work since San Francisco drafted the linebacker.

3. Some lineup notes:
    - Dontae Johnson and Rashard Robinson got first-team reps at corner. Ahkello Witherspoon and Keith Reaser were up next.
    - Jaquiski Tartt started at free safety in place of the injured Jimmie Ward, who was out with a minor hamstring injury.
    - The 49ers starting offensive line, from left to right, was Joe Staley, Joshua Garnett, Daniel Kilgore, Brandon Fusco and Trent Brown. Jeremy Zuttah later in the afternoon got time at center and guard with the first unit.
    - The starting defensive line went as follows from left to right: Tank Carradine, Earl Mitchell, DeForest Buckner and Arik Armstead. Eli Harold and Elvis Dumervil were quick to sub in for Carradine and Armstead.

4. Carlos Hyde started practice with a few sizeable runs. The offensive line created a hole, and Hyde showed good burst.

5. Aaron Lynch, Armstead and Buckner all made plays in the backfied on Friday.

6. Brian Hoyer to Pierre Garçon for a 15-yard gain was the first notable offensive highlight. Hoyer threaded a pass to Garçon's back shoulder through tight coverage for the completion.

7. It was the same names getting punt return reps as the offseason program: Jeremy Kerley, Bruce Ellington, Trent Taylor, DeAndre Carter and Victor Bolden Jr.

8. Hoyer lofted a pass over the coverage to Aldrick Robinson for a medium gain down the right sideline during full-team work.

9. Hoyer also had two nice completions to Goodwin. One came on a crossing route from left to right and the next on a 10-yard stopping route.

10. Ray-Ray Armstrong nearly had the play of the day. He kept up with Joe Williams stride-for-stride down the right sideline and nearly came down with an over-the-shoulder interception.

11. DeAndre Smelter came down with a contested 25-yard reception down the right sideline on a throw from Nick Mullens. Smelter fought through contact and made an adjustment on the ball before going up and making the grab.

12. Eric Reid made a diving interception on a pass towards the left sideline. Chanceller James nearly did the same but settled for the impressive PBU.

13. Williams found a nice hole up the middle towards the end of practice and showed off his wheels for what may have been a long touchdown run.

14. One more defensive highlight came from Harold and Ronald Blair III. Harold tipped the ball at the line of scrimmage, Blair came down with the ball and took off for a would-be pick-six.

2. Bumpee

Bumpee Well-Known Member

3. CurtDawg

4. CurtDawg

5. CurtDawg

Day #3 of 49ers training camp is in the books :cool:

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/49ers-training-camp-report-joshua-garnett-upsets-charles-haley/

Here is the impression I'm getting after a few days of practice so far...
    1. Our secondary might be in trouble
    Both safeties are already injured (hopefully they will be healthy for most of the regular season...hopefully)
    Also no other CB's are stepping up besides R.Robinson
    Reaser, Johnson, and Witherspoon are giving up big plays every day
    2. Our O-line is still pretty bad, except Staley
    Beatles, Kilgore, Garnett are still looking bad out there. And Brown is kinda mediocre too.

Something to keep an eye on leading up to the preseason these next few weeks

:hmm::hmm::hmm:

6. CurtDawg

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  7. CurtDawg

8. playahaitian

playahaitian Well-Known Member

San Francisco 49ers linebacker Malcolm Smith suffers torn pectoral muscle

[​IMG]

SANTA CLARA, Calif. (AP) — San Francisco 49ers linebacker Malcolm Smith suffered a torn pectoral muscle during Saturday's open practice at Levi's Stadium, putting in doubt the status of one of the team's most coveted offseason additions.

The team announced the injury Saturday night but had yet to make a roster move, and with not practicing again until Monday it provided a little bit of time for evaluation.

Smith, 28, left the field during full-team drills after working with the starters throughout training camp next to All-Pro NaVorro Bowman in the new-look defense.

"We think it was his chest area. Don't know for sure. But that's what it looked like," 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan said earlier in the day.

Smith, the MVP of Seattle's Super Bowl-winning team in the 2013 season, was brought in by San Francisco on a five-year contract in March. He rejoined new coordinator Robert Saleh, who was an assistant on the Seahawks' title team. Smith was expected to help transition to the new 4-3 scheme that's similar to what he ran with Seattle.

"That'd be a big one for us, just because we've been getting so many reps together, jelling together and really talking about what the offense is trying to do to us throughout these OTAs and in training camp," Bowman said of potentially losing Smith.

If Smith is sidelined, it may expedite first-round pick Reuben Foster's insertion into the starting lineup. Foster, 23, fell to the 31st selection in the NFL draft after he was widely expected to be a top-10 pick. The 49ers traded back into the first round to take Foster and said he was one of the top-three players on their draft board.

The Alabama alum won the Butkus Award last season and would be Smith's likely replacement. He ascended to working with the second string this week during team drills after being limited in the offseason program while recovering from shoulder surgery.

Veteran Ray-Ray Armstrong is also an option. He replaced Smith in the starting lineup Saturday as the weak-side inside linebacker during the full-team session.

"Reuben can definitely come downhill and smack you. They're both two smart guys," Bowman said. "I think at linebacker you have to smart, patient, know when you can shoot your gun and go make those plays."

The 49ers might also be without second-year guard Joshua Garnett, who sustained a knee injury that could require surgery.

"We don't know exactly, for sure, but there's some stuff in his knee we're probably going to have to clean up," Shanahan said. "I don't think it's anything long term, but it's going to take a little bit of time."

Garnett, a first-round pick in 2016, was competing with Zane Beadles for the starting left guard spot after starting 11 games at right guard as rookie.

PHOTOS: NFL training camps

CurtDawg likes this.
  9. CurtDawg

I know most of you guys are still boycotting the NFL
    I didn't watch the game on TV, I watched the bootleg using Mobdro
    But anyway here is an article summing up our 1st preseason game...
    http://www.49ers.com/news/ninerfeed...hiefs-17/b87f67b4-531b-44b1-ac58-832321682204

Here's my take on the team...
    I didn't get to see the 1st string 49ers offense b/c they kept switching to the Giants/Steelers game
    But I heard the 49ers offense didn't do jack

Offense:
    Barkley & Bethard were able to move the ball later in the game, they both looked okay
    Same with the backup RB's (Williams & Breida), they both looked okay
    Didn't really pay much attention to the TE's
    Wr's Jeremy Kearley, Aldrick Robinson, & the rookie Trent Taylor stood out the most
    I did not get too see Goodwin or Garson, but I heard they've played well in practice
    49ers O-line is like swiss cheese though, this is going to be the achilles heel of the offense by far :smh:

Defense:
    D-line will be solid this year, Aaron Lynch is back to form & was the best defender last night
    Our nickel package for passing downs definitely should be: Lynch -- Thomas -- Buckner -- Dumervil
    Our LB's will be solid. Bowman, Foster, RayRay, Brooks, Harold all played well
    Our secondary? OMFG where do I start? :smh:
    If Jimmie Ward cant stay healthy all season, we are in serious trouble!
    And our CB's you ask? All of them were getting burnt like toast during the game
    Rashard Robinson had a terrible game, man I don't know whats been up with him lately :smh:

10. AwwSchitt

AwwSchitt Star Playa

I saw the game.. Quick observations..

Offense
    -After years of not seeing real play-action passing it was refreshing seeing true play-action play calling.
    -Hoyer and Barkley had some bad throws. Both behind and to far in front of the receiver.
    -Still to many penalties. We had 2 TD's taken off the board because of them. :smh:
    -O-line needs some help. The running holes were non-existent.
    -WR's are gonna be cool. Taylor looks like the prototypical slot guy we've been missing.

Defense
    -That motherfucker A-A-RON is back to being his normal self.
    -Our D-Line is gonna give people problems.
    -Thomas and Foster are well worth the 1st round picks.
    -Secondary is looking suspect. The picked on Robinson (our alleged #1).

11. Mack1052

Mack1052 Well-Known Member

Hard to not support but it's bigger than football. Hopefully shit changes this season but if not, I'll see y'all when I see y'all

ansatsusha_gouki and CurtDawg like this.
  12. CurtDawg

Yea man I definitely understand what you're saying
    Between the bullshit going on with the NFL, and then all these racict riots & protests
    It's probably going to be like a ghost town in this thread, LOL

ansatsusha_gouki and Mack1052 like this.
  13. Mack1052

Mack1052 Well-Known Member

Yeah man. Shit gotta change

ansatsusha_gouki and CurtDawg like this.
  14. CurtDawg

Everyone still boycotting huh? Welp ya'll didn't miss much these past few weeks
    Preseason game #2: Broncos vs 49ers

Offense:
    1. O-line is still bad (especially in the run game)
    And especially considering Denver had like 6-7 defensive starters not playing
    For the 2nd straight game, the starting O-line couldn't open any holes for the RB's
    But Carlos Hyde has been kinda hit or miss in this new system though
    Shanny's system is based on play action, so no run game = no play action, sooooo hummm yea

2. Our WR's & TE's have been surprisingly good these past couple games
    Well except for Vance McDonald, he's still dropping balls
    Goodwin, Garcon, Kerley, Taylor, Robinson, Kittle, Borne, Boldin Jr have all looked good in games 1 and/or 2

3. Bryan Hoyer actually moved the ball, even without a run game
    But...he's not quite consistent enough. He'll give you the occasional "Blaine Gabbert type screw up" (turnover) at least once a game
    The rookie QB Betheard looked decent for the 2nd straight game
    I can definitely see Shanny starting him, to see what we got, after we're out of the playoff hunt

4. Oh and how could I forget. Flags flags flags penalties penalties penalties, rinse & repeat
    Holy shit, the amount of penalties & flags made the game damn near unwatchable
    They keep lining up wrong, which means they still don't know Shanny's system yet

Defense:
    1. D-line played well again (especially considering Buckner & Lynch did not play)
    At least we can stop the run, and generate decent pressure on the QB, when all of our starters are healthy
    But Arik Armstead.....is not going to work out in this system.....just wasting space out there, doing a whole lot of nothing

2. The linebackers, Bowman & Foster both look good. Hopefully they can stay healthy all season long
    Brooks is Brooks, nothing special but solid as always. Eli Harold is pretty decent, RayRay is kinda meh...should probably stay a backup
    It's a damn shame E.Harold was causing more of a disruption than Armstead was, both rushing from that same LEO position
    The O-line left tackle was caught/called for holding Harold twice in the game

3. Eric Reid looks like he's more comfortable in this new system
    We still need Jimmie Ward back soon but his backup Lorenzo Jerome has been playing surprisingly good the past few games, not great but decent
    I think Jerome is just a little too slow to play single high safety. But if he loses 5 pounds or so, it might help him play faster, like Landon Collins

4. Rashard Robinson had another bad game
    Constantly missing tackles, not setting the edge for running plays, constantly getting PI/holding calls, etc, etc
    Robinson & Reaser have been the worse players on defense, so far

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017 at 7:22 PM
  15. ansatsusha_gouki

ansatsusha_gouki From The Land

Yeap,the NFL have no problem listening to their white fan base,but want to ignore the black fan base....You mean to tell me,the NFL is going to ignore the fan base that has to deal with police brutality while continue to throw little jabs at Kaepernick...fuck the NFL and their sponsors for supporting this bullshit.

Mack1052 likes this.