Sweet Savant

MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator
It's DINNER TIME! Slow Cooked Beef Stew in my Multi Cooker - Cook With Me LIVE. The Wolfgang Puck multi cooker I'm using has been discontinued. Crockpot has a similar unit that can sear and slow cook (among other things) all in the same unit. Here's a link >> http://amzn.to/2bhw10K

MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator

Smothered Shrimp and Andouille Sausage
recipes

Smothered Shrimp and Andouille Sausage is a fantastic way to eat gourmet everyday.

Weeknight meals don’t have to be BORING! Keep a few tasty, quick cooking ingredients on hand and you can eat like a king any day of the week. Garlic, creole seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice and fresh rosemary add amazing depth of flavor to this dish.

I keep a few bags of peeled, de-veined and tail-off shrimp in my freezer. I let them thaw in the fridge over night but if you forget to take them out you can drop them in the simmering sauce frozen. It only takes a few minutes longer to thaw in the sauce. I usually have onions and sweet red peppers in the house, I buy them just about every time I do my weekly shopping. The andouille sausage is something I don’t usually but I do keep some type of sausage in the fridge. Andouille (a pork sausage found in Creole cuisine) is nice and spicy, it adds a great kick to this meal. If you can’t find andouille use a smoked sausage and add a bit of red pepper flakes for heat.

Serve this over quick grits or rice. I usually cook extra rice on the weekend and save the extra in a zip top bag. Rice reheats well in the microwave. If I don’t have any rice prepared I can cook a batch in about 22 minutes in my rice cooker- just add rice, water and salt…set it and forget it.

Print
Smothered Shrimp and Andouille Sausage
Author: Sweet Savant Demetra Overton
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 25 mins
Serves: 4-6 servings

Ingredients
  • 1 tablespoon canola oil
  • ½ cup diced onion
  • ½ cup diced red bell pepper
  • 2 cloves of garlic sliced
  • 2-3 links of andouille sausage
  • 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 1-2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • one 3-4 inch sprig of fresh rosemary
  • 24 ounces peeled and de-veined tail off shrimp
  • 2 tablespoons creole seasoning like Tony Chachere's or Zatarain's
  • OR Make your own spice blend
  • 2 teaspoons Kosher Salt
  • ¼ teaspoon black pepper
  • ¼-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
  • 1 teaspoon granulated onion
  • Serve over rice or grits
Instructions
  1. Over medium heat saute onions, bell peppers and andouille sausage n the canola oil until the vegetables are softened and the sausage is browned, about 5-6 minutes
  2. Add the sliced garlic and saute for 30 seconds
  3. Stir in the flour, continue stirring for 1 minute
  4. Pour in the chicken broth, Worcestershire sauce and lemon juice.
  5. Let come to a simmer stirring
  6. Add fresh rosemary
  7. Toss the creole seasoning with the shrimp
  8. Stir the shrimp into the sauce
  9. Simmer until the shrimp turn pink and the sauce has thickened about 5-6 minutes
  10. Serve over rice or grits

MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator
18 February 2016
bacon upside down jalapeno cornbread recipe
recipes

Thick cut bacon is the foundation of this recipe for bacon upside down jalapeno cornbread. I cook the bacon for a bit to crisp it up before pouring the jalapeno cornbread batter into the hot skillet. The rendered fat from the bacon keeps the cornbread from sticking and adds smokey flavor to the cornbread while it’s baking.

If you like this bacon cornbread recipe then you’ll LOVE my Vidalia Onion Upside down Cornbread get the recipe HERE

This is by no means a low fat cornbread, the bacon fat is absorbed into the batter while cooking. If you make this and feel that there is excess bacon grease in the pan (say, more than 1/4 cup) feel free to spoon it out before pouring the batter inI’m working on a low fat cornbread recipe using Greek yogurt, I’ll post a link to that as soon as it’s done.

Saute the chopped jalapeno and onion in a little oil before adding to the batter to soften it, then mix it into the cottage cheese. Cottage cheese in the batter makes this cornbread unbelievably moist and lemon juice helps to make the bread tender. If you like this you’re going to LOVE my recipe for Vidalia Onion Upside Down Cornbread

Lodge Cast-Iron Skillet L10SK3ASHH41B, 12-Inch
ir

This bacon upside down jalapeno cornbread would go great with my Church Basment Collard Greens and Slow Cooked Barbecued Pulled Pork

I do add a bit of sugar to my cornbread which is a no-no for “real Southerners”. I don’t add a lot of sugar, so the cornbread is not sweet. I find that a bit of sugar cuts the harshness of the cornmeal and it also helps give a golden color to the bread

Print
bacon upside down jalapeno corn bread recipe
Author: Demetra Overton
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 50 mins
Serves: 8-10 servings

You will need a 12 inch cast iron skillet
Ingredients
  • 1½ cups of fine ground yellow or white cornmeal, I used yellow
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 and ½ teaspoons kosher salt
  • ⅓ cup white sugar
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 4 eggs
  • 16 ounces of 2% cottage cheese
  • 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
  • 2-3 jalapeno peppers
  • ½ an onion (about ⅓ of a cup chopped)
  • 1 tablespoon canola or vegetable oil
  • 8-9 strips of thick cut bacon
Instructions
  1. Heat the oven to 400 degrees
  2. Combine the cornmeal, flour, salt, baking powder and sugar in a bowl and stir well to combine
  3. In another bowl beat the eggs and stir in the cottage cheese and lemon juice
  4. Add the cottage cheese mixture to the cornmeal mixture and stir well, set this aside
  5. Remove the seeds from the jalapeno and dice it (you should have about ¼ cup total)
  6. Dice the onion
  7. Saute the onion and jalapeno in the oil over medium heat until softened but not brown, about 5 minutes. Remove the jalapenos and onion from the skillet and stir it into the batter
  8. Let the skillet cool off for about 10 minutes then lay the strips of bacon into the skillet
  9. Cook the bacon over medium heat on the stove top for about 5 minutes
  10. Turn off the heat and flip the bacon over keeping it in order
  11. Pour the batter carefully over the bacon strips
  12. Place the skillet into the oven and bake for 18- 20 minutes. A toothpick inserted into the center will come out clean
  13. Let the cornbread rest for about 5 -10 minutes
  14. Run a butter knife around the edge of the pan to make sure the cornbread isn't stuck
  15. Place a platter on top of the skillet and, using pot holders, invert the cornbread onto the platter

bacon upside down jalapeno cornbread