Moms of Eric Garner, Trayvon Martin and other ‘Mothers of the Movement’ tell Democratic National Con

MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator
Moms of Eric Garner, Trayvon Martin and other ‘Mothers of the Movement’ tell Democratic National Convention that ‘Hillary Clinton isn't afraid to say that black lives matter’
BYADAM EDELMAN
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Updated: Tuesday, July 26, 2016, 10:41 PM
bloomberg_75x25.png

Trayvon Martin’s Mother Praises Hillary Clinton at DNC
Bloomberg
41293908.jpg

Clinton formally nominated as Democratic candidate for President

583550904.jpg

Maria Hamilton, mother of Dontre Hamilton; Annette Nance-Holt, mother of Blair Holt; Gwen Carr, mother of Eric Garner; Geneva Reed-Veal, mother of Sandra Bland; Lucia McBath, mother of Jordan Davis; Sybrina Fulton, mother of Trayvon Martin; and Cleopatra Pendleton-Cowley, mother of Hadiya Pendleton; Wanda Johnson, mother of Oscar Grant; and Lezley McSpadden, Mother of Mike Brown appeared Tuesday at the DNC.
(CHIP SOMODEVILLA/GETTY IMAGES)
“She knows that when a young black life is cut short, it’s not just a loss, it’s a personal loss, it’s a national loss, it’s a loss that diminishes all of us,” she said, voice strained. “What a blessing tonight to be standing here so that Sandy can still speak through her mother,” she added, prompting the second in a number of standing ovations.

“And what a blessing it is for all of us, if we seize it, to cast our votes for a President who will help us lead us down a path toward restoration and change,” she said.

Next to speak was Lucy McBath, whose 17-year-old son Jordan Davis was shot in 2012 in Jacksonville, Fla., after a man frustrated over loud music coming from Davis’ SUV shot into the vehicle, killing him.

1 PHOTOSVIEW GALLERY
Highlights from the 2016 Democratic National Convention

McBath heartfully admitted that she had always “lived in fear that my son would die like this.”

Elizabeth Banks parodies Donald Trump’s RNC entrance at DNC

“I even warned him that because he was a young black man he would meet people who didn’t value him or his life. That is a conversation that no parent should ever have with their child,” she added.

“But Hillary Clinton isn’t afraid to say that black lives matter. She isn’t afraid to sit at a table with grieving mother and bare the full force of our anguish. She doesn’t build walls around her heart,” she said prompting more applause and many, many tears in in the audience.

583551326.jpg

Geneva Reed-Veal, mother of Sandra Bland; Lucia McBath, mother of Jordan Davis; and Sybrina Fulton, mother of Trayvon Martin delivered remarks Tuesday during the Democratic National Convention.
(ALEX WONG/GETTY IMAGES)
“Not only did she listen to our problem, she invited us to become part of the solution - and that’s what we’re going to do,” McBath said, referring to an April sit-down between the candidate and the group.

Last to speak was Sybrina Fulton, the mother of Florida teen Trayvon Martin, who was shot dead in 2012 by self-appointed neighborhood watchman.

TSA agents examine transgender DNC delegate’s genitalia

“I did not want this spotlight, but I will do everything I can to focus some of this light on the pain of a path out of the darkness,” she said. “Hillary Clinton has the compassion and understanding to support grieving mothers. She has the courage to lead the fight for common sense gun legislation.”

mothers27n-5-web.jpg

The women, known as "Mothers of the Movement," have spoken out to ensure their children did not die in vain.
(TODD MAISEL/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS)
“This isn’t about being politically correct,” Fulton added in an apparent nod to the constant railing by Donald Trump and Ted Cruz against political correctness. “This is about saving our children.”

Fulton’s message was greeted warmly inside the arena, but the man who shot her son reacted angrily.

“Sybrina Fulton wants to save children? We all know what happened. Reach for an armed man's gun, you're dead. Quit attacking our 2A rights!” tweeted Robert Zimmerman, whose brother George Zimmerman killed Martin.

Anthony Weiner would 'run for mayor' against Trump Jr.

Follow
Robert Zimmerman JR@rzimmermanjr

Sybrina Fulton wants to save children? We all know what happened. Reach for an armed man's gun, you're dead. Quit attacking our 2A rights!

10:19 PM - 26 Jul 2016
George Zimmerman was charged and tried for second-degree murder and manslaughter but was acquitted on both.

Also on stage Tuesday were Gwen Carr, the mother of Eric Garner, who was killed in an illegal police chokehold on Staten Island; Lezley McSpadden, the mother of Michael Brown, whose shooting death at the hands of Ferguson, Mo., police in 2014 set off riots across the nation; Cleopatra Pendleton, whose 15-year-old daughter Hadiya was shot in 2013 by Chicago gang members who mistook her for a member of another gang; and Maria Hamilton, whose son Dontre was shot by Milwaukee police in 2014.

Their presence on stage came as the issues of gun violence and police violence have rocketed into the national spotlight amid a slew of tragedies involving law enforcement and black men.

mothers27n-4-web.jpg

Mothers of the Movement took to the stage amid chants of "Black lives matter."
(TODD MAISEL/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS)
Before the women took the stage, a video was played inside the arena that featured footage of the initial November 2015 sit-down between them and Clinton.

"Eleven times, 11 times he said he couldn't breathe," Carr was seen on the film saying about her son, whose tragic death was captured on video.

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Touché. I feel that the mothers are being exploited for political gain.

You could be right, but . . .

What, factually, makes you think they're being exploited ??

Who do you think is exploiting them ??

And, what is the gain to those doing the exploiting ??

ORIGINAL NATION

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
But there is no friend in the white house. We should be building a black house before it is to late. It is not in the nature of whites to help blacks. In South Africa blacks begged Mandela to get them some weapons to fight back with. We have made the enemy powerful for to long.
I felt Hillary made the movie "Purge Election Year".

Mr. Bizkits

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

What, factually, makes you think they're being exploited ?? These tactics are nothing new in terms of politicians exploiting tragedies for political gain to become elected.

Democrats and Republicans alike.

Executive Power, Fame, and Wealth.

Mr. Bizkits

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

What, factually, makes you think they're being exploited ??

Do you believe we live in a global system of racism/white supremacy?

And that white people own, control, and dominate all areas of politics?

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Do you believe we live in a global system of racism/white supremacy?

And that white people own, control, and dominate all areas of politics?

1. I believe that there is one form or another of racism about wherever one goes;

2. Not all racism is black/white (as we know it in this country);

3. I'm not convinced that there is a "global system of racism/white supremacy" -- which implies its globally interconnected, organized, perpetuated, directed, etc; and

4. No, I believe that saying "white people own, control and dominate all areas of politics" -- is an over-simplification of something more complex; and stands
in contravention of my own belief that I can, you can and most importantly "WE CAN" change our destiny. Its a self defeatist statement to which I refuse to succumb.

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
I feel that the mothers are being exploited for political gain.

Let me add something here. I don't believe in altruism, i.e., that someone does something for another without any benefit whatsoever inuring to the do'er.
On the contrary, people often do good deeds, and they receive a benefit from it, if nothing more than a good feeling that, "I tried to help someone who needed it."

In this particular instance, the Clinton campaign must have thought it was getting something out of providing the forum for these wonderful black women;
ON THE OTHER HAND, those wonderful sisters obviously feel that the DNC was a forum that they could not otherwise on their own construct and use to get their messages across.

In other words, there is some degree of mutual benefit. Who got more out of the deal??? I'm not sure. But, it could certainly be argued that there were benefits running
in both directions.

NO ????

And still, YOU COULD BE RIGHT.

Mr. Bizkits

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
1. I believe that there is one form or another of racism about wherever one goes;

2. Not all racism is black/white (as we know it in this country);

3. I'm not convinced that there is a "global system of racism/white supremacy" -- which implies its globally interconnected, organized, perpetuated, directed, etc; and

4. No, I believe that saying "white people own, control and dominate all areas of politics" -- is an over-simplification of something more complex; and stands
in contravention of my own belief that I can, you can and most importantly "WE CAN" change our destiny. Its a self defeatist statement to which I refuse to succumb.

Very Interesting. For the record, I believe racism occurs in the form of white people (powerful) vs. non-white people (powerless).

3 Questions:

What's your definition for justice?

What's your definition for equality?

How CAN we and black people (non-whites) CHANGE OUR DESTINY and achieve justice and equality in America through your belief system?