49ers

CurtDawg

Rising Star
Platinum Member
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/188935-2017-training-camp-thread/page42/

2017-07-28 1:34 PM | Joe Fann
14 Observations from 49ers Training Camp: July 28
2017 49ers Training Camp Arrival Day
The San Francisco 49ers opened training camp on Friday with their first practice, a non-padded session from the SAP Performance Facility. Reuben Foster, Marquise Goodwin and others provided the initial highlights of what will be an entertaining month in Santa Clara.
Here are the top observations from Friday.

1. During the first 20 minutes of practice, breaking news came through that Solomon Thomas had signed his contract. The third-overall pick went straight to the locker room to get dressed before heading out to the practice field. He did a light warmup with strength and conditioning coach Ray Wright but did not do any work with the full team. Kyle Shanahan told reporters on Friday that Thomas is expected to be a full participant on Saturday.

2. Speaking of rookies, Foster provided the first turnover of camp when he intercepted C.J. Beathard on a tipped pass over the middle during a 7-on-7 period. Foster returned it for what could have been a pick-six. The linebacker spent most of practice running with the threes.
"It was good to get him out there," Shanahan said after practice.
Friday was Foster's first full-team work since San Francisco drafted the linebacker.

3. Some lineup notes:
- Dontae Johnson and Rashard Robinson got first-team reps at corner. Ahkello Witherspoon and Keith Reaser were up next.
- Jaquiski Tartt started at free safety in place of the injured Jimmie Ward, who was out with a minor hamstring injury.
- The 49ers starting offensive line, from left to right, was Joe Staley, Joshua Garnett, Daniel Kilgore, Brandon Fusco and Trent Brown. Jeremy Zuttah later in the afternoon got time at center and guard with the first unit.
- The starting defensive line went as follows from left to right: Tank Carradine, Earl Mitchell, DeForest Buckner and Arik Armstead. Eli Harold and Elvis Dumervil were quick to sub in for Carradine and Armstead.

4. Carlos Hyde started practice with a few sizeable runs. The offensive line created a hole, and Hyde showed good burst.

5. Aaron Lynch, Armstead and Buckner all made plays in the backfied on Friday.

6. Brian Hoyer to Pierre Garçon for a 15-yard gain was the first notable offensive highlight. Hoyer threaded a pass to Garçon's back shoulder through tight coverage for the completion.

7. It was the same names getting punt return reps as the offseason program: Jeremy Kerley, Bruce Ellington, Trent Taylor, DeAndre Carter and Victor Bolden Jr.

8. Hoyer lofted a pass over the coverage to Aldrick Robinson for a medium gain down the right sideline during full-team work.

9. Hoyer also had two nice completions to Goodwin. One came on a crossing route from left to right and the next on a 10-yard stopping route.

10. Ray-Ray Armstrong nearly had the play of the day. He kept up with Joe Williams stride-for-stride down the right sideline and nearly came down with an over-the-shoulder interception.

11. DeAndre Smelter came down with a contested 25-yard reception down the right sideline on a throw from Nick Mullens. Smelter fought through contact and made an adjustment on the ball before going up and making the grab.

12. Eric Reid made a diving interception on a pass towards the left sideline. Chanceller James nearly did the same but settled for the impressive PBU.

13. Williams found a nice hole up the middle towards the end of practice and showed off his wheels for what may have been a long touchdown run.

14. One more defensive highlight came from Harold and Ronald Blair III. Harold tipped the ball at the line of scrimmage, Blair came down with the ball and took off for a would-be pick-six.

CurtDawg

Rising Star
Platinum Member

CurtDawg

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Day #3 of 49ers training camp is in the books :cool:

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/49ers-training-camp-report-joshua-garnett-upsets-charles-haley/

Here is the impression I'm getting after a few days of practice so far...
1. Our secondary might be in trouble
Both safeties are already injured (hopefully they will be healthy for most of the regular season...hopefully)
Also no other CB's are stepping up besides R.Robinson
Reaser, Johnson, and Witherspoon are giving up big plays every day
2. Our O-line is still pretty bad, except Staley
Beatles, Kilgore, Garnett are still looking bad out there. And Brown is kinda mediocre too.

Something to keep an eye on leading up to the preseason these next few weeks

:hmm::hmm::hmm:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
San Francisco 49ers linebacker Malcolm Smith suffers torn pectoral muscle

636375701664475035-USATSI-10183785.jpg

SANTA CLARA, Calif. (AP) — San Francisco 49ers linebacker Malcolm Smith suffered a torn pectoral muscle during Saturday's open practice at Levi's Stadium, putting in doubt the status of one of the team's most coveted offseason additions.

The team announced the injury Saturday night but had yet to make a roster move, and with not practicing again until Monday it provided a little bit of time for evaluation.

Smith, 28, left the field during full-team drills after working with the starters throughout training camp next to All-Pro NaVorro Bowman in the new-look defense.

"We think it was his chest area. Don't know for sure. But that's what it looked like," 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan said earlier in the day.

Smith, the MVP of Seattle's Super Bowl-winning team in the 2013 season, was brought in by San Francisco on a five-year contract in March. He rejoined new coordinator Robert Saleh, who was an assistant on the Seahawks' title team. Smith was expected to help transition to the new 4-3 scheme that's similar to what he ran with Seattle.

"That'd be a big one for us, just because we've been getting so many reps together, jelling together and really talking about what the offense is trying to do to us throughout these OTAs and in training camp," Bowman said of potentially losing Smith.

If Smith is sidelined, it may expedite first-round pick Reuben Foster's insertion into the starting lineup. Foster, 23, fell to the 31st selection in the NFL draft after he was widely expected to be a top-10 pick. The 49ers traded back into the first round to take Foster and said he was one of the top-three players on their draft board.

The Alabama alum won the Butkus Award last season and would be Smith's likely replacement. He ascended to working with the second string this week during team drills after being limited in the offseason program while recovering from shoulder surgery.

Veteran Ray-Ray Armstrong is also an option. He replaced Smith in the starting lineup Saturday as the weak-side inside linebacker during the full-team session.

"Reuben can definitely come downhill and smack you. They're both two smart guys," Bowman said. "I think at linebacker you have to smart, patient, know when you can shoot your gun and go make those plays."

The 49ers might also be without second-year guard Joshua Garnett, who sustained a knee injury that could require surgery.

"We don't know exactly, for sure, but there's some stuff in his knee we're probably going to have to clean up," Shanahan said. "I don't think it's anything long term, but it's going to take a little bit of time."

Garnett, a first-round pick in 2016, was competing with Zane Beadles for the starting left guard spot after starting 11 games at right guard as rookie.

PHOTOS: NFL training camps

CurtDawg

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I know most of you guys are still boycotting the NFL
I didn't watch the game on TV, I watched the bootleg using Mobdro
But anyway here is an article summing up our 1st preseason game...
http://www.49ers.com/news/ninerfeed...hiefs-17/b87f67b4-531b-44b1-ac58-832321682204

Here's my take on the team...
I didn't get to see the 1st string 49ers offense b/c they kept switching to the Giants/Steelers game
But I heard the 49ers offense didn't do jack

Offense:
Barkley & Bethard were able to move the ball later in the game, they both looked okay
Same with the backup RB's (Williams & Breida), they both looked okay
Didn't really pay much attention to the TE's
Wr's Jeremy Kearley, Aldrick Robinson, & the rookie Trent Taylor stood out the most
I did not get too see Goodwin or Garson, but I heard they've played well in practice
49ers O-line is like swiss cheese though, this is going to be the achilles heel of the offense by far :smh:

Defense:
D-line will be solid this year, Aaron Lynch is back to form & was the best defender last night
Our nickel package for passing downs definitely should be: Lynch -- Thomas -- Buckner -- Dumervil
Our LB's will be solid. Bowman, Foster, RayRay, Brooks, Harold all played well
Our secondary? OMFG where do I start? :smh:
If Jimmie Ward cant stay healthy all season, we are in serious trouble!
And our CB's you ask? All of them were getting burnt like toast during the game
Rashard Robinson had a terrible game, man I don't know whats been up with him lately :smh:

AwwSchitt

Star Playa
BGOL Investor
I saw the game.. Quick observations..

Offense
-After years of not seeing real play-action passing it was refreshing seeing true play-action play calling.
-Hoyer and Barkley had some bad throws. Both behind and to far in front of the receiver.
-Still to many penalties. We had 2 TD's taken off the board because of them. :smh:
-O-line needs some help. The running holes were non-existent.
-WR's are gonna be cool. Taylor looks like the prototypical slot guy we've been missing.

Defense
-That motherfucker A-A-RON is back to being his normal self.
-Our D-Line is gonna give people problems.
-Thomas and Foster are well worth the 1st round picks.
-Secondary is looking suspect. The picked on Robinson (our alleged #1).

CurtDawg

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Hard to not support but it's bigger than football. Hopefully shit changes this season but if not, I'll see y'all when I see y'all

Yea man I definitely understand what you're saying
Between the bullshit going on with the NFL, and then all these racict riots & protests
It's probably going to be like a ghost town in this thread, LOL

CurtDawg

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Everyone still boycotting huh? Welp ya'll didn't miss much these past few weeks
Preseason game #2: Broncos vs 49ers

Offense:
1. O-line is still bad (especially in the run game)
And especially considering Denver had like 6-7 defensive starters not playing
For the 2nd straight game, the starting O-line couldn't open any holes for the RB's
But Carlos Hyde has been kinda hit or miss in this new system though
Shanny's system is based on play action, so no run game = no play action, sooooo hummm yea

2. Our WR's & TE's have been surprisingly good these past couple games
Well except for Vance McDonald, he's still dropping balls
Goodwin, Garcon, Kerley, Taylor, Robinson, Kittle, Borne, Boldin Jr have all looked good in games 1 and/or 2

3. Bryan Hoyer actually moved the ball, even without a run game
But...he's not quite consistent enough. He'll give you the occasional "Blaine Gabbert type screw up" (turnover) at least once a game
The rookie QB Betheard looked decent for the 2nd straight game
I can definitely see Shanny starting him, to see what we got, after we're out of the playoff hunt

4. Oh and how could I forget. Flags flags flags penalties penalties penalties, rinse & repeat
Holy shit, the amount of penalties & flags made the game damn near unwatchable
They keep lining up wrong, which means they still don't know Shanny's system yet

Defense:
1. D-line played well again (especially considering Buckner & Lynch did not play)
At least we can stop the run, and generate decent pressure on the QB, when all of our starters are healthy
But Arik Armstead.....is not going to work out in this system.....just wasting space out there, doing a whole lot of nothing

2. The linebackers, Bowman & Foster both look good. Hopefully they can stay healthy all season long
Brooks is Brooks, nothing special but solid as always. Eli Harold is pretty decent, RayRay is kinda meh...should probably stay a backup
It's a damn shame E.Harold was causing more of a disruption than Armstead was, both rushing from that same LEO position
The O-line left tackle was caught/called for holding Harold twice in the game

3. Eric Reid looks like he's more comfortable in this new system
We still need Jimmie Ward back soon but his backup Lorenzo Jerome has been playing surprisingly good the past few games, not great but decent
I think Jerome is just a little too slow to play single high safety. But if he loses 5 pounds or so, it might help him play faster, like Landon Collins

4. Rashard Robinson had another bad game
Constantly missing tackles, not setting the edge for running plays, constantly getting PI/holding calls, etc, etc
Robinson & Reaser have been the worse players on defense, so far

Last edited:

ansatsusha_gouki

Land of the Heartless
Platinum Member
Hard to not support but it's bigger than football. Hopefully shit changes this season but if not, I'll see y'all when I see y'all

Yeap,the NFL have no problem listening to their white fan base,but want to ignore the black fan base....You mean to tell me,the NFL is going to ignore the fan base that has to deal with police brutality while continue to throw little jabs at Kaepernick...fuck the NFL and their sponsors for supporting this bullshit.

CurtDawg

Rising Star
Platinum Member

CurtDawg

Rising Star
Platinum Member
49ers Roster Cuts:
Players headed for Injured Reserve:

• HB Joe Williams
    • WR Aaron Burbridge
    • OG Josh Garnett
    • DT Chris Jones
    • S Don Jones
    • DE Ronald Blair
    • CB Will Redmond
    • CB Prince Charles Iworah
FINAL 53 MAN ROSTER:

QB: Brian Hoyer |C.J. Beathard
HB: Carlos Hyde | Matt Breida | Raheem Mostert
FB: Kyle Juszczyk

WR: Pierre Garcon | Aldrick Robinson | Kendrick Bourne
WR: Marquise Goodwin |Trent Taylor|Victor Bolden Jr.
TE:George Kittle| Logan Paulsen | Garrett Celek

LT: Joe Staley | John Theus
LG: Zane Beadles | Laken Tomlinson
C: Daniel Kilgore |Erik Magnuson
RG: Brandon Fusco
RT: Trent Brown | Garry Gilliam

LE: Arik Armstead | Elvis Dumervil | Aaron Lynch
DT: Earl Mitchell |D.J. Jones
DT: DeForest Buckner | Xavier Cooper
RE:Solomon Thomas| Tank Carradine

SLB: Eli Harold | Dekoda Watson |Pita Taumoepenu
MLB: NaVorro Bowman | Brock Coyle
WLB:Reuben Foster| Ray-Ray Armstrong

CB: Rashard Robinson | K'Waun Williams | Keith Reaser
CB: Dontae Johnson |Ahkello Witherspoon
FS: Jimmie Ward |Lorenzo Jerome|Adrian Colbert
SS: Eric Reid | Jaquiski Tartt

K: Robbie Gould
P: Bradley Pinion
LS: Kyle Nelson

Practice Squad Players

QB Nick Mullens
WR DeAndre Smelter
WR DeAndre Carter
TE Cole Hikutini
OL Darrell Williams Jr
OL JP Flynn
DL Noble Nwachukwu
CB Asa Jackson
RB Jeremy McNichols

:shades::shades::shades::shades::shades::shades:

Last edited:

blackman80

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
What's going on my 49ers Brothers!!

The season is here!!.Looking forward on how we will play this season..it going to be rocky but i watch all of our preseason games and i see some good and bad things about us this season!!...I still don't trust our QB!!..I see our O-line might be ok and we need to get back going with the running game!!
Defense, our front 7 look pretty good..That rookie LB Rueben Foster is going to be nice for us on defense!!..I'm worry about our DB's ..i believe they going to hurt our defense and give up too many big plays!!..:smh::smh:

But the season is here..LET"S GO 49ERS!!!

AwwSchitt

Star Playa
BGOL Investor
^Agreed brother.

The season is going to be fun with all the changes. We finally have a guy that can call plays. The offense won't be boring. Hopefully, the Brian Hoyer from practice shows up in games.

The front 7 is gonna be a problem. I'm not worried about them.

I'm with you on those DB's... They better start jamming people. And who the fuck is playing Free Safety? Ward's injured ass can never stay on the field. :angry:

CurtDawg

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Here is my opinion of the team:

QB: Brian Hoyer actually played good in the preseason
We just need him to manage the game, and I think he can play "the Alex Smith game manager role"
But we need to get the run game going so he can use play action passes
Cause Hoyer ain't the type to drop back & sling the rock all game long
After we get officially eliminated from playoff contention, they will throw in Beathard
Shanny needs to find out if CJ can be a franchise QB, before drafting another QB round 1, or before signing Kirk Cousins

RB: We did not run the ball well in the preseason, we really need to fix this issue
Not sure if its Hyde not seeing the holes, or the O-line not creating holes, or a combo of both
I feel like Shanny wont hesitate to give Breida more snaps if Hyde can't get it done
To me, Breida looked better than Hyde running the ball this preseason
Hyde looked good in pass protection & catching passes out the backfield

WR & TE: I think our WR's and TE's are actually pretty good, they will make plays
Shanny will scheme & find ways to get guys open, dude is an offensive genius
Marquise Goodwin was out there looking like Desean Jackson
Pierre Garson = a poor mans Anquan Boldin
Trent Taylor = a poor mans Wes Welker or Julian Edelman
Victor Bolden Jr = Ted Ginn Jr
Kittle looked good in his limited time on the field, but hopefully his hamstring problems don't linger too long

O-line: Oh boy :hmm:
They seem to pass block better then they run block
Hopefully that new guy Laken Tomlinson can take the starting spot from Beadles
That might help a little bit.....might
Next offseason we need to blow that whole entire line up & replace damn near everybody

D-line: We can actually stop the run this season
Plus we can actually get decent pressure on the QB as well
At various points of the preseason each one of those guys already showed they could be a beast
There's going to be heavy rotation along that line to keep them all fresh, b/c we have such quality depth

LB: Harold, Bowman, & Foster all looked good out there
I'm saying it now, Reuben Foster could be defensive rookie of the year! Dude is a freakin BEAST. Out there looking almost like Patrick Willis
I've noticed for passing situations, they take Bowman out the game & use Tartt, b/c Bowman is not as good in coverage anymore
But Foster is a true 3 down linebacker. Dude is going to be fun to watch. And so far so good with his shoulders.

Secondary: Eric Reid is playing his natural position, closer to the line and looks really good out there
Even Tartt is looking decent too, for the most part
That brings me to the elephant in the room..... Jimmie "Hospital" Ward
I can't believe the coaches put all their eggs in one basket with this dude
As I type this right now, dudes hamstring is still acting up & he might not even play for the Panthers game!
This dude got injured the first day of camp during the medical evaluations & has not played one freakin snap yet !!! :angry:
What was the first thing Pete Carroll did when he became coach of the Seahawks? Draft Earl Thomas!
We can't even play single high safety defense because our single high safety is always injured !!! :angry:

That brings me to our CB's
How did Keith Reaser make the 53 man roster? I'm still scratching my head over that one
K'Waunn is actually a good nickel corner, so lets pray he never gets injured, so Reaser doesn't have to come in the game
Robinson & Johnson are very very average
And Witherspoon should be on the bench with Reaser, all season long

One of the issues is, our corners don't want to jam b/c they don't have any safety help
None of our safeties are fast enough to cover the field to help
This is exactly what happened to Robinson, the very first play of that Chiefs preseason game, got burned deep by Tyreek Hill when he missed the jam
So instead of playing tight man press, they keep running this zone coverage bullshit, and keep giving the WR's too much cushion underneath
We're gonna get exposed in the passing game all season long, until Ward gets healthy enough to play :smh:

Last edited:

blackman80

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Here is my opinion of the team:

QB: Brian Hoyer actually played good in the preseason
We just need him to manage the game, and I think he can play "the Alex Smith game manager role"
But we need to get the run game going so he can use play action passes
Cause Hoyer ain't the type to drop back & sling the rock all game long
After we get officially eliminated from playoff contention, they will throw in Beathard
Shanny needs to find out if CJ can be a franchise QB, before drafting another QB round 1, or before signing Kirk Cousins

RB: We did not run the ball well in the preseason, we really need to fix this issue
Not sure if its Hyde not seeing the holes, or the O-line not creating holes, or a combo of both
I feel like Shanny wont hesitate to give Breida more snaps if Hyde can't get it done
To me, Breida looked better than Hyde running the ball this preseason
Hyde looked good in pass protection & catching passes out the backfield

WR & TE: I think our WR's and TE's are actually pretty good, they will make plays
Shanny will scheme & find ways to get guys open, dude is an offensive genius
Marquise Goodwin was out there looking like Desean Jackson
Pierre Garson = a poor mans Anquan Boldin
Trent Taylor = a poor mans Wes Welker or Julian Edelman
Victor Bolden Jr = Ted Ginn Jr
Kittle looked good in his limited time on the field, but hopefully his hamstring problems don't linger too long

O-line: Oh boy :hmm:
They seem to pass block better then they run block
Hopefully that new guy Laken Tomlinson can take the starting spot from Beadles
That might help a little bit.....might
Next offseason we need to blow that whole entire line up & replace damn near everybody

D-line: We can actually stop the run this season
Plus we can actually get decent pressure on the QB as well
At various points of the preseason each one of those guys already showed they could be a beast
There's going to be heavy rotation along that line to keep them all fresh, b/c we have such quality depth

LB: Harold, Bowman, & Foster all looked good out there
I'm saying it now, Reuben Foster could be defensive rookie of the year! Dude is a freakin BEAST. Out there looking almost like Patrick Willis
I've noticed for passing situations, they take Bowman out the game & use Tartt, b/c Bowman is not as good in coverage anymore
But Foster is a true 3 down linebacker. Dude is going to be fun to watch. And so far so good with his shoulders.

Secondary: Eric Reid is playing his natural position, closer to the line and looks really good out there
Even Tartt is looking decent too, for the most part
That brings me to the elephant in the room..... Jimmie "Hospital" Ward
I can't believe the coaches put all their eggs in one basket with this dude
As I type this right now, dudes hamstring is still acting up & he might not even play for the Panthers game!
This dude got injured the first day of camp during the medical evaluations & has not played one freakin snap yet !!! :angry:
What was the first thing Pete Carroll did when he became coach of the Seahawks? Draft Earl Thomas!
We can't even play single high safety defense because our single high safety is always injured !!! :angry:

That brings me to our CB's
How did Keith Reaser make the 53 man roster? I'm still scratching my head over that one
K'Waunn is actually a good nickel corner, so lets pray he never gets injured, so Reaser doesn't have to come in the game
Robinson & Johnson are very very average
And Witherspoon should be on the bench with Reaser, all season long

One of the issues is, our corners don't want to jam b/c they don't have any safety help
None of our safeties are fast enough to cover the field to help
This is exactly what happened to Robinson, the very first play of that Chiefs preseason game, got burned deep by Tyreek Hill when he missed the jam
So instead of playing tight man press, they keep running this zone coverage bullshit, and keep giving the WR's too much cushion underneath
We're gonna get exposed in the passing game all season long, until Ward gets healthy enough to play :smh:

I agree with everything you say in this Brother Curt!!..:yes::yes:

CurtDawg

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Summary of the 1st half of the 49ers/Panthers game:

49ers run defense has been really good so far
49ers pass defense has been..... ummm okay
Defense has been on the field for a long time though
Cam Newton has been noticeably rusty & has missed some wide open throws, making our DB's look better than they are
Reuben Foster got hurt in the 1st quarter, possibly a high ankle sprain
We need to get more pressure on Cam, but Panthers O-line is pretty damn good though

Brian Hoyer looks pretty good, all things considered
49ers run game & pass game has looked okay so far
Playcalling has been okay, except for the failed 4th down plays
The problem on offense has been.....
Zane Beatles! OMG this dude is trash! Constantly getting beat all game long
Beatles has single handedly been responsible for 2 sacks on Hoyer
Penalties, penalties, penalties, turnovers, turnovers! Both on offense & defense, they keep shooting themselves in the foot
Missed opportunities throwing the deep ball
Hoyer threw 2 balls deep, the 1st Goodwin straight dropped it, right through his hands
The 2nd deep throw, the DB held up Goodwin, but NO flags by the ref for PI !!!

The 49ers are just not clicking today
The Panthers have all the momentum right now
Not sure if we can win this game, with the constant self inflicted mistakes
This team isn't built to make comebacks from 20+ points behind
If we can't score something shortly after halftime, this might get ugly

:smh::smh::smh:

Last edited:

Bumpee

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Hoyer looks mad average to me. Missed throws, holding the ball too long. Shitty clock management at the end of the first half. And not even trying to push the ball downfield. I kinda wanna see this blow up in their face.